Behind the First Door

Behind the Eyes of a Dreamer

The thing about Lee Jinsook was that she, always and since the beginning of that little adventure that everyone else called debuting, had a good pair of eyes, quiet feet and a craving curiosity. When it started, it wasn’t exactly her fault. She hadn’t initiated anything, one could even say it had sprung to her, maybe as a sign. Maybe as a reminder that her unnies were more than just her fellow members. They were people too, after all. Everyone but those with some pathology of sorts, felt something. Who had never done, said or thought something entirely because of an emotion, in a moment where logic fell short and there was nothing left to do, but to feel? Especially if that emotion was love?

It began as an accident, anyway.

Jinsook knew she would be late for practice if she didn’t put on some shoes, but she had lucky ones and they were somewhere in the messy room. The youngest couldn’t leave without them.

“Are you sure you don’t want to borrow mine?”, had asked Cheng Xiao unnie, her worry reaching her eyes. It was endearing that the dancer would get distressed at the slightest annoyance that her members’ could face. She was caring like that.

“Unnie! What are you saying? Of course not, pink matches you the most!”, Jinsook replied cheerfully, her voice getting thinner and cuter. It was easier that way. Who would pay too much attention and wonder what was behind her words and actions if she was just a sweet, cute girl? It came naturally to her, so it shouldn’t be a problem to use it for her own gain sometimes... It shouldn’t, right?

Luckily, Cheng Xiao just gave her one of her brightest smiles and waved her off, following the other unnies to the van. As if just now remembering she also had to go soon, Jinsook went back to look for her shoes. And, just as she reached for her door, a sudden, but fast noise came from the room that belonged to Juyeon, Dayoung and Yeonjung. Even thought she felt slightly startled, as she had thought no one else was home, Jinsook followed the sound. As she got close to the other room, a faint laugh could be heard. And soon, just as Jinsook reached the closed door, a voice.

"I can't believe you said that! I just dropped my phone because of it... Yes, really... Can you say it again?", it was Juyeon, whispering in a weird way. Her words seemed spaced out slowly, as if she were nervous or... Jinsook couldn't point out what else could it be. In any case, she felt compelled to listen more. "Unnie... Are you sure we can't meet Sunday? Yes...Use that pretty dress I like. Unnie! Don't say things like that...", Juyeon sighed, and then she came back to speak normally. "Don't get jealous right now... Or do you think I don't know about you and your tall special friend? I know you have a type... I have it too, unnie. I can't help it if I like cute girls...".

Suddenly, Jinsook felt she shouldn't listen anymore; even her palms were sweating. Quietly she came back to her room and picked a random shoe, not caring about having her lucky ones or not. That felt silly, all of the sudden.

When she got inside the van, Jiyeon looked at her with a funny smile on her face. Everyone was there but Juyeon.

"Did you see that clip again? Of the drama you like?", the other girl teased, her smile becoming bigger and sweeter.

"What do you mean, unnie?".

"You are blushing.", Jiyeon whispered, so no one else would hear. Jinsook's eyes widened; she hadn't realized that... But her unnie shouldn't know the real reason, not when Jinsook herself couldn't understand why. Quickly, she made up a lie.

"Unnie, don't talk so loud... I don't want anyone to know I was late because I was watching that clip...", she dropped her gaze, looking a bit guilty, and quickly Jiyeon unnie was caressing her upper arms with both hands.

"My dongsaeng is so cute!", she said, laughing to herself. "Don't worry, your secret is safe with me!".

Nodding, Jinsook went to her spot in the van. Secret... Juyeon unnie has a secret too. Why am I feeling like this? It was like her heart was beating too fast, and all she wanted was to be alone. She didn't want to think about the phone call Juyeon had, and nor why it was affecting her so much.

Juyeon voice suddenly drove Jinsook away from her thoughts.

"I'm sorry Exy unnie, Eunbi unnie called and I had to take it, I won't be late again."

"Who?", one of the girls asked, probably Soobin unnie. Jinsook thanked her silently.

"Jung Eunbi, Soobin unnie. You and Luda aren't the only shorties I talk to.", Juyeon joked, making both Soobin and Luda start bantering with her. Jinsook noticed the older girl didn't mention her, and although that would have usually bothered her, that time her mind was busy with something else. Jung Eunbi?

And that's how it had started. Once, Jinsook was just an observant girl that always ended up knowing too much about other people, as she was both perceptive and curious. After that day, what she would later call "incident number one", she became something more. A new feeling. One, that this time, she couldn't understand yet. Yet.