Six

Beer and Chicken

When Jinhwan managed to drag his feeble legs through four staircases and reached the Compose class, he was sweating like mad and out of breath and less Jinhwan-ish than he had ever been in his life because apparently he had yet to grown to his fullest potential (someday, though. Someday) to have long legs and climb stuff. However, as he had finally done wheezing to straighten his back, a figure of a person leaning against the wall nearby caught his eyes, and immediately Jinhwan fixed his posture, then walked forward with his nose in the air.

He pretended to not see the other person even when he had chased and caught up to him.

"Hyungg" Kim Jiwon's voice whined, the younger boy's ridiculously huge body got in Jinhwan's way. "I'm very very sorry for ditching you. Please grant this stupid little brother your forgiveness."

"How unfortunate to have a little brother like you." Jinhwan said cooly, attempting to step to the side, causing Jiwon to hastily follow.

"Come on, Jinanie" Jiwon's shoulders slouched while he presented his best puppy eyes. He brought his hands up from behind his back, holding two cups of beverage. "I have coffee!"

Well God knew Jinhwan could not refuse caffein hostage.

"You still owe me lunch." He announced, and Jiwon's eyes bended into curves when his face  lit up with a grin. 

"You are the best hyung ever, you know that?"

"Of course I do, now give me one, I run on coffee to live." Jinhwan said, extending a hand to grab the coffee cup on Jiwon's left hand, only to be taken aback when the younger pulled it away.

"Here you are," Jiwon clumsily gave him the cup on his right hand, smiling apologetically when Jinhwan squinted at him. "That one has a lot of milk. It's for... um, another person."

Jinhwan's eyebrow shot upward, but he didn't say anything. Only a small smirk tugged up the corner of his lips.

"So... uh, did anything happen yesterday?" Jiwon cleared his throat and asked nervously as they walked together to class.

"Uh, yeah? Like, you asked me to come and then stood me up for half a day?"

"No! I'm sorry, but not that! Like... did... did you and ... um... anything..."

"Did anything happen between me and Hanbinie?" Jinhwan finished his stuttering, clearly amused with the other's flustered face. "Nah, we're fine. He's a nice kid. A little shy, but he's cute like that."

"I know rig-..." Jiwon was on the verge of dazedly agreeing when realization hit him. "... Wait, Hanbinie?"

"We came to become quite close thanks to you giving us an entire morning of bonding session." The grin on Jinhwan's face grew bigger as he fastens his pace, making the other boy hurry to catch up.

"Anything else that I don't know?" Jiwon asked doubfully, narrowing his thin eyes in alarm.

"Yes. Hanbinie and I are getting married." Jinhwan walked through the door of the lecture hall. "And also, we will perform 'Airplane' instead of 'Today' for the assignment."

"Wait, what?! No but. What?!!" Jiwon's terrified shout made Jinhwan cracked up in giggles, but he pulled back on his straight face as he sat down on a seat near the walk way. Jiwon climbed over the desk behind to sit down next to him. Before the other got to open his mouth, Jinhwan had cut in:

"While we were rotten waiting for you yesterday Hanbinie managed to finish the bridge for Airplane. He was quite pleased with it and decided that we should go with that instead. You wrote a rap part for it already right?"

"Yeah but..."

"Then we're good to go." Jinhwan smiled, somewhat smugly and Jiwon didn't get to comment anything for at that very moment, the sight of a grey hoodie, a beanie with price tag still dangling and bony hands covered in big cuffs came into view and Jiwon immediately stood up like being electrified. He climbed over Jinhwan despite the older boy protesting and took over his seat by the walk way, so that when Kim Hanbin slowly made his way down, Jiwon could grab his sleeve and stop him.

The boy's eyes still drooping with sleep a second ago instantly shot open, he jolted and looked around in horror. 

"... Hi," Jiwon cracked his most polite and friendly smile. "We  have an empty seat here."

He could even see the insult forming its way out of Hanbin's pouty lips as the boy glared at him with the familiar grumpy plus early-wake-up-rage attitude, but the expected battle never broke out. Hanbin stared at him for what seemed like ten years, then as if suddenly woke up from a daze, he looked away, wordlessly nodded and sat down next to Jiwon. 

"...Thanks." He murmured in a tiny voice, face turned aside, but the pinkish shade on his cheeks did not go unnoticed. 

Blush. Kim Hanbin is blushing.

For some reasons the notion also made Jiwon's own face heat up. He slid the coffee cup in front of Hanbin, then fixed his stare forward as if the black board suddenly had become so intriguing. They sat in silence for a while, trying not to touch even a milicentimeter of the other while Jinhwan watched them with an expression of both pity and humor. 

Jiwon, in fact, had thousands of questions to pour on Hanbin, like where did he go last Thursday night, did he come home safely, why did he wait for so long yesterday, why are his lips so pink and full and oh God, Jiwon thought he was finally being driven mad, words jumped out of his mouth before he could control himself:

"Are you.... Are you really getting married to Jinhwan hyung?" He whispered and immediately wanted to bite his tongue. He had gone mad, that's how it is.

"Huh? No, what are you talking about?" Hanbin whispered back confusedly, his eyebrows furrowed in annoyance but the corner of his lips pulled up a bit as if being restrained from forming a smile. Jiwon's heart made a flip and maybe he was not only going crazy but getting a heart attack too.

"O-okay." He muttered, trying to ignore the small insane part of him that felt relieved. He couldn't help but added after a minute. "And... um, about yesterday. I- I'm sorry."

"Nevermind that. I figure you had more important stuff to do." Hanbin said, monotonously, casually, as if he had accepted it as  a fact and Jiwon immediately turned to face him, an arm subconciously grabbed the back of Hanbin's seat as he said hastily. Surely.

"No. It's not as important." He saw Hanbin's dark orbs dilated in surprise, then his face reddened at their proximity. "I was just stupid and forgot our meeting. Really. This matters more." You matter more.


This time it was Hanbin who was flustered and didn't know what to say. "... Okay." He said softly, looked down with cheeks and ears beet red. His fingers slightly trembled as he grabbed the cup on his desk and took a sip, which drew Jiwon's attention to his lips again and oh no, mayday. He turned away, trying to tell himself that the edge of the window was so much more interesting, and failing miserably. His gaze would occasionally fall on the boy sitting beside him, only so he would realize that Hanbin had also been stealing glances at him. It was the longest ten minutes before class ever, for the both of them.

Not a word was spoken even when almost every seat in the lecture hall was occupied and the professor walked in. Deciding that he had watched enough of this mute comedy, Jinhwan heaved a sigh and stood up. 

"Junhoe and I are gonna do our presentation first. Wait here, I'm coming right back, okay?"

"Y-yeah. Okay. Thanks again hyung!" Jiwon called after Jinhwan's back, while next to him Hanbin nodded along and stuttered some incoherent words of appreciation. When it was only two of them left, the tension was so thick a knife could cut through it. 

Not being a person who could tolerate awkward silence very well, Jiwon was trying - in vain, though, to find something to say, when he noticed that the boy beside him was being kind of restless. Hanbin's fingers kept playing with his hoodie laces while his cheeks were still beet red and lips pressed into a tight line. He flinched as Jiwon leaned in a bit to whisper with a low voice:

"You okay?" He said, not looking at the other as he talked. "You're pale as a sheet right now."

"Huh? Yeah... No." Hanbin murmured, almost too softly for Jiwon to hear. Still, the other boy nodded to him sympathetically.

"I know what you're  feeling. Stage fright. It's common, nothing to be embarrassed about."

"Huh?" Hanbin perked an eyebrow, looking both confused an humored. B.I having stage fright coud easily be the funniest thing he had ever heard, but he would rather saying that than admitting that he was getting nervous from breathing the same air as Kim Jiwon. And besides...

"It's okay." Jiwon said, offering a stupid smile that was a bit shy but shined so bright it could have a whole solar system for its own. "I'm gonna be right by your side."

And for that, Kim Hanbin would voluntarily have stage fright for the rest of his life.

It was too late when Hanbin realized that he had been staring at Jiwon too long to be considered normal, the latter was blinking at him confusedly with his smile turning slightly awkward. What saved Hanbin from an even more awkward excuse was the loud voice of the professor, calling their names as the next presentators.

"It's our turn already?" Hanbin muttered in surprise. He was so worked up over the existence of Jiwon that he didn't even pay attention to the performance of Jinhwan's group. Judging from Jiwon's dumb expression, he was likely to feel the same. 

"I've got your back." Said the raspy voice by him as they both stood up, and then a fleeting feeling of another big warm hand hastily catching Hanbin's own, squeezing lightly in reassurance. And then Hanbin's heart beat faster than in any of his underground stages before.

"Let's go."

 

 

Airplane. Airplane. Okay, he remembered the lyrics. He wrote this, he practiced this. It would definitely go well.

Jiwon took a deep breath. He could do this.

Glancing to his side, he saw Jinhwan checking his microphone, and more discreetly, he threw a quick look at Hanbin too. The boy was surprisingly calmer than before, his fingers had stopped fidgetting while his eyes were ice cold, he seemed like a totally different person. For a moment when he briefly met Jiwon's gaze, his eyes widened and suddenly his stern expression melted, so he turned away and closed his eyes.

"...Two, three... and start."

Jiwon didn't look at the professor. His cue was the slight nod of Hanbin and his foot tapping on the ground to count the beats. One. Two. And Hanbin's voice filled the air and his mind.

"Stop for a moment, if we keep this up
We won’t ever see each other again after..."

Hanbin looked absolutely at ease and relaxed. From the gestures of his body to the look in his eyes, he didn't give off the feeling that this was the first time he performed in front of a crowd. And his voice. Hanbin's voice. He sounds a pitch higher when he sang. He sounds amazing. Like he was singing straight from his heart. And he sounds... - Jiwon furrowed his eyebrows, trying to find the exact word- He... he sounds...

"La li la di dada la li da..."

Jinhwan's sweet voice cut in, dragging Jiwon back to Earth and he hurriedly followed:

"I hate the sky for wrapping around you..."

"La li la di dada la li da..."

"I hate the moon for revealing you."

At the corner of his eyes Jiwon could see Hanbin watching him.

"La li la di dada la li da"

Hanbin was smiling as he sang the next line. Maybe it was because of the song that his smile looked so sad.

"Because I don’t wanna let you go like this
This is the saddest melody in the world
Hey Mr. Airplane"

The hook was for Jinhwan to shine, and he did so brilliantly. Jiwon felt a bit proud as he saw even the professor was nodding along the melody. It suited Jinhwan so well.

It was Jiwon's part right after that and he only had time to receive an encouraging glance from Jinhwan, see Hanbin subconsciously mouthing the first words of his rap and he turned to look at the audience, feeling invincible.

"You left behind a light smile
Left with a smiling face..."

It was at this point that he realized that he didn't really need to try too hard memorizing these lyrics. Just let the melody get to him and words would naturally come. The last of his part was followed by Jinhwan's falsetto, back and forth between them, then ended with Hanbin. Jiwon turned to smile at him, only to see that the other  wasn't looking at him.

"... Hey Mr. Airplane
Stop for a moment"

Maybe it was because the next part was the bridge that Hanbin just wrote. Maybe he was just getting nervous. Maybe that's why he wasn't looking Jiwon in the eye as he sang.

However, when the next few words escaped his lips, Jiwon stopped wondering.

" Do you have to go today? Can’t you go tomorrow?
I don’t wanna let you go, when will you be back?
I’m scared of getting far away from you..."

In those few minutes, what Kim Jiwon was capable of doing reduced to just staring. Each word sounded louder than it really was, ringing in his ears.

No. He breathed in. No way.

And here's the thing. Similar words in different songs? Common coincidence. Two, three words? Possible. But that right now wasn't really the case.

Exactly the same. Every single word. Jiwon had read the message of B.I from last night over and over, not being able to understand what the other meant. He remembered it, enough to know that Hanbin was singing all the words that B.I texted him. From the very beginning to the last words that were now still falling from those lips.

" What if we naturally break up?" He sang, much like a grieving sigh. "Just one more day, just one more hour,..."

"Just one more minute." Jiwon whispered, in sync with the other high-pitched voice. He breathed out. 

Oh.

 


Jiwon didn't know when the song ended (thank God he didn't have more lines after the bridge) or how he was able to walked back to his seat in a daze. His head was a mess right now, all that he could think was that he needed to talk to Hanbin right now. His eyes followed the other boy as he stopped to tell the professor something, then proceeded to walk pass his seat and then out of the lecture hall.

A second of astonishment. And the next Jiwon had already stood up, ready to chase the other.

"Over there, Mr. Kim. What do you think you are doing?" Came the voice of the professor.

"Where did Hanbin just go?" Jiwon asked right back, then added. "Sir?"

"He said he was feeling ill, but..."

"Then I must make sure my partner will get better."

With that he bolted out, didn't bother getting the permission. The hallway was utterly empty when he ran out, he couldn't spot the sight of a grey hoodie anywhere. He used to not know how to find or even contact Kim Hanbin, but not anymore. Not if what the other boy had just pointed out to him was right.

He took out his phone, and dialed the number under the two letters B.I. Then he waited.

In the silence of the mid-period, a voice and heavy hiphop beats pierced the air. Jiwon squinted, detecting the source of the sound, and all he had to do was walking to the end of the hallway, looking behind the wall. And there Kim Hanbin was, clearly had just hastily tried to turn off 'Bounce'. He looked up, meeting eyes with Jiwon when the latter hit the End call button. The song on Hanbin's phone immediately stopped.

They stared at each other for a while.

Jiwon saw the blush creeping on Hanbin's ears and face and knew that himself was no better, but now that they really faced each other, fully aware of the other person, he didn't really know what to say. After a long awkward minute, he decided to join Hanbin and sat down next to him, back against the wall, keeping a decent space between them. Another long minute passed.

"... So." At last, Jiwon broke the silence. "B.I"

They both faced different directions, too concious about the other's present, but Jiwon could imagine Hanbin's face burnt with embarrassment.

"... Bobby." He managed to say, arms hugging his legs tightly to his body as if contracting into a ball.

"How... How long did you know...?" Jiwon cleared his throat, turned his head slightly to peek at the other. As he predicted, Hanbin was already red as a tomato.

"... The Thirsday night cypher. I was late, but I didn't miss your opening performance." Hanbin replied, his voice soft in his throat. Jiwon instantly turned to look straight at Hanbin with wide, disbelieving eyes.

"And you didn't tell me right away?" He exclaimed with a scandalized tone. "I was running everywhere looking for you and B.I and just... You!"

"I-It was difficult to find a way to tell you!"

"And you thought shocking me during our presentation was a good idea?" Jiwon said with doubtful narrowed eyes. 

"... It seemed so at the time." Hanbin said, now his neck was also red.

"And all this time too! You knew that I like B.I-... y-your songs and you didn't tell me that was you?"

"Well, didn't you do the same?" Hanbin snapped back, also turned to face the other. Both of them were blushing, at the same time recalling every embarrassing moment of themselves praising the other person right in his face. Unbeknownly. But now they knew.

"... You said that your songs were trash." Jiwon murmured, somewhat still sulkily, and Hanbin had to fight a smile creeping on his face. 

"Because they really were." 

"No, they weren't." At his casual shrug, Jiwon immediately claimed. He was defending Hanbin, in front of Hanbin, but he still sounded so sure. "Your songs are really good. I like every single one of them."

"... Th-Thanks..." Taken aback, Hanbin could only stutter a word in reply. He then added, with a rather small voice. "Yours, too. I-I like them too."

He didn't dare to look at Jiwon's face for a while and when he managed to do so, the other had had a huge grin plastered on his face and his eyes were only two thin curved lines.

"So I'm your favorite artist, huh." He snickered, and something about his smug face made Hanbin instantly retort:

"In your dreams, idiot!"

A second later he realized that that smug face actually belonged to his favorite artist, so he lowered his eyes and spoke to the ground.

"... I'm sorry. That was on reflex."

Jiwon's laughter rang through the air and Hanbin felt his heart throb and fireworks go off inside his chest and he didn't sure what that meant. He didn't get to think any further about it, for when he looked up and met Jiwon's eyes, their faces were suddenly so so close and his mind went blank. 

It stopped being funny when Jiwon felt the other's breath on his face, saw the cherry-colored lips up close and wide black orbs staring at him. It was all so sudden, he wasn't even sure how he felt about this and all but then his questions started to die down, all that he could think of was that Hanbin's lips might taste like too-much-milk coffee and how wonderful that sounded and...

Ding.

Half-lidded eyes shot open. For a moment they could see their horror reflected in the other's eyes.

In a milisecond they both jumped apart, limbs trembling and cheeks bright red. 

"M-my phone" Jiwon stuttered, clumsily reached for the phone in his pocket with its screen lit up indicating a new message. "S-Sorry about th-that..."

"No no it's fine you... me... uhh..." Hanbin looked like his brain circuit just snapped, he took a few steps back, trying to ease his breath. Gradually aware of what they almost did, he flustered, then said with his voice pitches too high. "I-I think we sh-should go back to class... I will go first."

Then he turned his back and ran with all his might, leaving behind an equally embarrassed Jiwon. He slouched against the wall, watched as Hanbin disappeared behind the corner, then dazedly opened his phone.

His eyebrows corrugated for a moment, then he slammed his face down his palm.

He was so, so doomed.

 

 

From: Jinny
Did I interrupt anything? I hope I did :)

 

 

From: Jiwonie
you :)

 

 


"Was that fun?" Junhoe confusedly asked, seeing Jinhwan brightened when receiving a message. 

"Yes, especially after I, a generous and kind-hearted hyung who did not only agree to help them with their assignment but also their love life - only got a B while they brought home an A." Jinhwan said, smiling wickedly. "After all this I deserve a little fun."

"I still don't know when did they become so friendly though" Junhoe tilted his head in bafflement, to which Jinhwan just smiled benevolently.

"Oh, you should be happy you don't know." He sighed. "They will become friendlier soon."