Two

Beer and Chicken

Hanbin was seemingly frozen in front of a coffee shop that he would normally never drop by in a normal Saturday afternoon. But today was no normal Saturday. It was circled with thick red marker on Hanbin's calendar and checked again and over again ever since Bobby confirmed with him the date and place for their meeting through email.

Cafe Noriter. What a nice name. Their coffee should also be superb. Hanbin hated coffee- unless it was served with a lot of milk, but this was Bobby's choice, so of course it should be superb.

He looked down to make sure he was properly presentable. Despite his whole morning being spent solely on deciding his outfit, he finally gave up and just went with an oversized hoodie and jeans, a black and white beanie sat on his neat hair. He hoped he looked generally swag, nervously so, just the way B.I should be.

What should he say first, though? "Good morning, Mr. Bobby. It's me, B.I, pleasure to meet you"? Maybe too formal. " 'Ssup, bro. Your man B.I here." ? That sounded bad even inside Hanbin's mind.

Hanbin blushed a bit when he caught the funny look of a waitress in the cafe. He had been standing here for quite a while, after all. Deciding against letting his anxiety get the best of him, Hanbin took a deep breath, then he walked in.


 

Jiwon had dated before, obviously. However, in those dates never had he been the one to arrive first- 30 minutes ealier at that, as right now when he was waiting for another boy. He also never felt this nervous either. His palms were sweaty and his heart danced wildly inside his chest, and he jumped everytime the bell above the door of the cafe rang gleefully for a guest to come in. Jiwon checked his watch again. 3:20. B.I could be here anytime now.

As he indulged in imagining all the possible scenerios in their first meeting, mostly fantasizing about how B.I looked outside of his mp3, Jiwon didn't notice a pair of sneakers came into his view. Those white shoes stopped right in front of his table, and Jiwon's heart seemed to have taken a break in beating too.

He gulped, fingers curled in his pants as he slowly perked up. His eyes trailed upward, taking in the sight of skinny jeans and fingertips covered with long sleeves, lifting his gaze higher. And when his eyes finally found the other's face, the warm smile of his own was immediately washed off without a trace.

Of course, it had to be him. Who else could excellently ruin his day other than the almighty Kim Hanbin?

"What the are you doing here?" Jiwon rudely spat out. And as expected Hanbin would reply with an equally malicious tone.

"Unlike you, I don't fancy poking my nose in others' business." He said with a very-Hanbin-ish scoff, effectively boiling Jiwon's blood.

"Your nose is not gonna have a happy ending if you don't get out of my sight now, Mr. Kim." Jiwon smiled back, rolling the last words on his tongue like it humoured him.

"I don't have time for kitty fight right now, Mr. Kim. You can reserve a slot on my schedule later." Hanbin replied without missing a beat, folding his arms in front of his chest as if declaring that he had no intention in leaving. "Give me back my seat."

"Your seat? Last time I check it doesn't have your name on it, or else I wouldn't let my pants touch it. They're new." Jiwon flatly said while sinking himself further into the chair, confirming his terriority. Hanbin threw a quick glance to the entrance of the cafe, seemingly worried, before turning back to Jiwon impatiently.

"Cut the bull, it's mine." Bobby had specifically instructed him to find the table in the corner, the one his prick of a classmate was taking over. He wouldn't let Jiwon ruin it all for him. "I-I always...uh... wait to pick up my sister here! She won't be able to find me if you take it!"

"Your sister can't detect you with your face?" Jiwon raised an eyebrow.

"Well yeah. She's five." Hanbin lied through his teeth. Sorry Hanbyul, oppa can't lose to this who doesn't know when to give up.

"It's 3:30. Isn't it time for you to go then?" Jiwon brought up his watch, smirking as if seeing through everything Hanbin made up. But Hanbin wouldn't be a piece of cake. He hated losing, so even if it was childish, he sat down on the seat across Jiwon, pleased with the annoyed frown on the latter's face.

"Still enough time for a cup of coffee." Hanbin smugly said, crossing his legs and leaning on the back of his chair like a silent challenge.

The waitress from before approached them to take order, then hurriedly left for the heavy tension clouding them.

They both sat in silence as if in some competition, determined to not look in the other's eyes. After a while finally a voice broke the cold atmosphere. It was Jiwon's voice, but didn't come from Jiwon. It came from Hanbin's phone.

"Call your friends and gather, let's party all night,
Whoever throws up tissues, you'll get kicked out.
Right now I feel so hig--"

"He-hello?" Hanbin had grabbed his phone and hastily pressed it to his ear, cutting off the song, face bright red. Jiwon couldn't catch what he was conversing about. All that ran through his mind was Holy ing Kim Hanbin sets his song as his ringtone what the -

"...Yes, okay. I know, bye." Hanbin mumbled before hanging up, cheeks burnt. He didn't quite know why but the stunned look Jiwon was giving him made him somewhat embarrased.

"What?" He covered his awkwardness with a grumpy grunt. In return Jiwon just eyed him as if he had just developed another head or something like that.

"That's Bobby." Jiwon said, still staring at Hanbin skeptically.

"I know." The latter replied.

"That's like hiphop stuff."

"I know."

"But you bashed B.I" Jiwon said with a scandalized tone, staring at the other intently as if he could read Hanbin's mind if he stared hard enough.

"B.I is not all that hiphop offers." Hanbin perked an eyebrow sarcastically and Jiwon refrained from jumping into another fan war, because he had something else as shocking happening here. Hanbin, the cocky bratty and proud Kim Hanbin, could have been Jiwon's fan all along. That was seriously too funny, and at the same time made Jiwon felt a bit smug for some reasons.

"So you like Bobby?" He cracked a smile while Hanbin was getting defensive.

"Yeah, so?"

"Why?" Jiwon asked, trying to not appear too excited.

Hanbin squinted at him suspiciously as if in fear that Jiwon could use his answer against him. After considering it, he shrugged.

"Because he makes music for himself." Hanbin said with a 'duh' tone. This time Jiwon couldn't restrain his curious expression.

"Huh? What does that mean?" He widened his eyes, seemingly forgot that he was supposed to be hateful towards Hanbin 24/7.

"That means he does music not for fame or profit, he does it to satisfy himself." Hanbin patiently explained. "His music feels genuine. He is happy when he performs happy song, he's just true to himself, and I like music that is not pretentious, that's why." He furrowed his eyebrows. "Why are you smiling like an idiot?"

"Huh?" Jiwon woke up from his daze, not noticing that he was smiling from ear to ear. He regained control over his expression and put on a nonchalant face. "I still think B.I is better, though."

"I'm sorry that your taste is awful then." Hanbin snorted, somehow not as annoying as usual. "Bobby's voice and flow isn't what an amateur like B.I can compete with. He has a gifted raspy and aggressive tone that is just born for rapping, mind you."

"B.I just has his way with words that Bobby's messy lyrics can't rival." Jiwon's lips curved as he said. Provoking Hanbin was easy when it came to something he truly liked.

"Not a chance. Bobby clearly wins that kid in terms of wordplay and expressiveness." Hanbin, as expected, instantly took the bait and continued praising Jiwon unbeknowingly. "And his lyrics suit his style very well, such raw words pair perfectly with his rough voice like..."

"Like my voice?" Jiwon said, deliberately lowered his tone to make it husky. Hanbin glowed at it.

"That's right! It's just, like, incredibly charismatic and if he wants to, can be really y--"

Hanbin suddenly shut his mouth, seemingly having realized what he just said.

Scarlet colored his cheeks, and he murmured the rest of the sentence in a tiny voice. "... Yeah so I like Bobby."

"And I still prefer B.I" Jiwon brightly exclaimed, no trace of malice in his tone. He felt too smug right now to feel angry. Hanbin just outright confessed that he found Jiwon's voice y, he couldn't possibly ask for more twist in life.

Before any of them got to say anything further, Hanbin's phone rang loudly again. Bobby's grunting voice deepened the shade of red on Hanbin's cheeks.

"M-Mom?" He whined in his phone pitifully. They chatted a little before Hanbin hung up with a sigh.

"Right. I'm going now." He abruptly stood up. His mother just called to inform him that she was too busy so now he would have to pick up Hanbyul for real.

"You're going?" Jiwon said, slightly disappointed. He never thought he could ever have a talk with Hanbin without employing violence, but apparently it happened. It wasn't even that bad.

"Yup. Congrats on winning the seat." Hanbin said, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "And B.I still ."

"Yah!" Jiwon called after him, but Hanbin had already escaped the cafe, a laugh ringing behind him. A smile was drawn on Jiwon's own face as his mind wandered on Hanbin's acknowledgement of him. Maybe the kid's first ranking in class did say something, his praise had impact on Jiwon more than he thought. Hanbin made him feel happy, how crazy was that.

Jiwon continued to wait in the corner table till the afternoon sunlight falters and the ice in the two cups of coffee, one of which was filled with a ridiculous amount of milk, had melted.

It was their first meeting, but B.I never came.

 

From: Bobby
You didn't come?

 

From: B.I
I did, but I couldn't find you :(

 

From: Bobby
:(