Five

Beer and Chicken

Jiwon was lying in his bed, face in his pillow and limbs spreading like a starfish. It was nine in the morning and he was wide awake already. That wasn't normal, by the way. Maybe he was having too many worries nowadays, there was no more room for relaxation.

Or, he might have just slept through a day to the following morning. Pleasant thought.

Turning his face aside, he had to squint to check the screen of the phone he had in hand. Friday. He hadn't slept through it, damn.

His thumb swiped across the screen, and a note instantly popped up. There it was, his cause of anxiety ever since yesterday.

 

"Yongsan park 11am
the hand sculpture
its Seunghoonie, btw"

 

 

"Hey, where are you going?" Jiwon called and ran after the other rapper. They had just finished their opening stage for the night and Seunghoon was hastily retreating to the backstage, looking back and forth cautiously. He whispered loudly in reply:

"I saw the security making their way to the stage. They must have realized that I'm not invited."

"So you're going now?"

"Duh, going out on my own is better than being thrown out, no?" Seunghoon deadpanned. His eyes then glowed with amusement as his lips were tugged up in a lop-sided grin. "Besides, I've seen the one I wanted to see."

Jiwon blinked a few times, mouth opened and closed in an useless attempt to speak up. He heard footsteps behind them and Seunghoon started to freak out.

", gotta flee!"

"W-Wait!" Jiwon abruptly grabbed the other's wrist, pulled him back and ignored his complaint. "Sorry, I have something to ask you and... um..."

"Bad timing, then." Seunghoon threw a quick glance to the stage behind them, then: "Ok, gimme your phone."


 

Jiwon' eyes traced each word that the other person had typed on his screen, then heaved a heavy sigh.

"Are you B.I?" All he had to do was to voice that sentence out loud, and then he wouldn't have had to lay here like a dead weight, regretting and getting all upset over it. Just one sentence away from peace.

But what if Seunghoon said 'no'? What if B.I hadn't appeared last night at all, just like he always did? What if it had been determined that Jiwon would never ever get to find the other?

And he remembered himself running to the entrance of the club just to find no trace of Hanbin last night, and he kept finding and never found. He would never want to go through that feeling again.

But he also didn't want to lay here forever with his wonderings and what ifs. In the least, he just wanted an answer.

With another sigh he sat up, taking his jacket as he flung the door open. He had to clear things up no matter how it might turn out.

Friday. A part of him felt like he had forgotten something, but he couldn't bring himself to recall what it was.
 

 

 

"That head, pea-brained, dimwitted stupid idiot."

Jinhwan seethed through his teeth. "He must have forgotten that we have the project appointment on Friday!"

Across of him, Kim Hanbin let out a small confusing sound like a whining puppy, or something like that. His gaze dropped low and his hand absentmindedly mixing the milk with the coffee. A rather reserved individual, Jinhwan figured. He just couldn't deduce what the kid might have done to offend Jiwon so badly. Well, except Jiwon didn't seem so offended anymore these days.

"So I heard that you composed the songs." Jinhwan said in an attempt to be friendly. " 'Today' and 'Airplane', right? I like them a lot."

He had even learnt by heart the lyrics for a certain bestfriend of his would not stop singing and complimenting those songs every freaking day. "Don't tell Hanbin I said so"- Jiwon had threatened, so Jinhwan added:

"Jiwon used all of his vocabulary to praise them. I think he fell in love with them even."

"R-really," Hanbin looked up, briefly met eyes with Jinhwan and immediately averted his gaze. Red soon colored his cheeks. "Glad you liked them."

"Jiwon only ever listens to hiphop stuff, you see, so it's kinda rare for him to like songs like these so much." Jinhwan said, finding himself enjoying the sight of a flustered Hanbin more than he should. The boy, as expected, then blushed and pressed his lips together, looking as if being burnt with embarassment.

Jinhwan didn't know, however, that there was something more than just his teasing that made Hanbin tense with anxiousness. He threw a discreet glance at Jinhwan, bit his lower lip over hesitation.

Did Jinhwan know that Jiwon was Bobby?

Then again, everyone might have known that already, except Hanbin. Despite him seeing Jiwon performing as Bobby with his very own eyes, his first reflexive act was denial. He didn't believe, couldn't believe, that the Bobby that he admired, the artist that he respected the most, was actually his prick of a classmate all along.

He didn't believe, but he had to accept, because thinking back about it, everything made sense. The incidents where Jiwon always accidentally appeared at the same time and places that Bobby was supposed to. The similarity that their voices shared, the composing capacity. It was clear as day, and what Hanbin couldn't accept was his own stupidity in never noticing the obvious, and that he was being a total fanatic for Bobby in front of Jiwon. God. He wanna die right now. No, he wanted to erase his own memory first and then die, so at least he wouldn't have to feel ashamed even in death.

"U-um..." Clearing his throat, he earned Jinhwan's attention right away as he said timidly. "About Jiwon..."

The older waited, but after a minute Hanbin couldn't manage to say a word. Jinhwan concentrating on him was making him somewhat nervous. Swallowing thickly, he opened his mouth to try again, but to no avail. He just didn't know where to start.

".... You know what, nevermind." At last he sighed. "I will ask Jiwon himself."

Maybe the boy himself would be able to explain throughoutly- that was Hanbin's excuse. He did wonder why Jiwon had not just told him that he was Bobby already, but then he remembered himself having done the very same thing. That must have felt so full of himself, seeing Hanbin fawning over him like that.

Just like how Hanbin had enjoyed Jiwon heaping praise on him. Hanbin blushed. So Bobby liked him like that.

The pit of his stomach felt tingly and excitement blossomed in his chest as he fantasized how Jiwon would look if he knew his idolized artist was Hanbin. The thought drew a grin on his face unbeknowingly, he had to bite his lips to contain it at Jinhwan's curious glance.

He had decided that he had to talk face to face with Jiwon. Straightening his back on the seat, he waited, now with brand new motivation.

The rest was history. Jiwon never did come.

 

 

It was half past twelve- the time that the sun shined the most fiercely, when Jiwon arrived at the park as promise. They should have chosen a cafe instead, he silently whined, but looked around to find their meeting place anyway.

It wasn't difficult to find Seunghoon at all, especially when he was standing in front of a giant sculpture of a hand at the lunch time when nobody was around. Even if he were to stand in a crowd, that tall figure with bright colored clothes, slanted smiley eyes and excited waving hands could not be mistaken for anyone else.

"Hungry?" He chirped merrily as greeting, hands offered Jiwon a paper bag with two sandwiches inside, which Jiwon eyed with tremendous gratitude. He hadn't eaten breakfast. But first, they needed to escape from this awful heat.

"Let's find somewhere to sit." Jiwon suggested, pointing to a bench under a huge tree. A relieved sigh slipped from his lips as they sat under the shade, hiding from the sun.

Jiwon did not realize that Seunghoon had been watching him until he had devoured half the sandwich he was given. With a mouthful of food, he muffled:

"What?"

"Nothing," Seunghoon chuckled. "You just look younger than I expected. I've always thought that Bobby must be a thirty-something gangster with a motorcycle and tattoos all over, and you are... well, not so much like that," He then squinted his eyes doubfully. "Are you?"

"I'm in university." Jiwon laughed, managed to swallow the food with a big gulp. "I do have tattoos though, but nothing too edgy."

"You're younger than me." Seunghoon gasped comically with a hand covering his mouth. "You always sound so vigorous and intimidating in your songs, though. I guess it's an advantage of youth?"

In reply Jiwon just smiled at him shyly, occupied with thinking about something else. So Seunghoon did know about him and apparently had listened to some of his songs, what were the chances?

"You know about me?" He put down the sandwich and asked, eyebrows corrugated with concentration. In return Seunghoon just shrugged carefreely.

"Well yeah, you're fairly famous, pal. You were invited last night, right?"

The answer obviously did not clarify anything, so Jiwon, rather awkwardly, but still much determinately, decided to proceeds further:

"You said you came to see someone last night." He asked the question that held the same power as an "Are you B.I?", but was not as embarrassing as the latter. "And you got to meet him. Was he also a rapper there?"

"Ah, yeah. I admire that person a lot." Seunghoon grinned. "It was a bit risky, but I definitely had to see him somehow."

"Can you tell me who that is?" Jiwon whispered as if they were secret agents trading information, and even if Seunghoon did not know what he was playing at, he whispered back. A single word that ended all of his doubts.

"Mino"

Oh.

"I and some friends of mine, you see, we're kind of making a band." Seunghoon confessed, an excited smile plastered on his face. "We've got two great vocalists and one day Seungyoon...one of the vocalists, I mean- he's also our leader, a nice young man... He said we should have one more rapper to complete the set and I was like, I knew this guy named Mino. And when Seungyoon listened to Mino's tracks, he liked his voice and, yeah." Seunghoon stopped to take a breath. "So I got the mission of inviting Mino to our band, but I only got to see him for a teeny bit." He ended with a dramatic sigh, followed with minutes of silence for Jiwon didn't say anything to comment.

Jiwon was taken aback, not because of the disclosed information, but at himself for not feeling even the slightest surprise. It would be a lie to say that he did not see that coming, he could tell that certain things didn't click. Well then, there goes nothing. At least he was treated to lunch.

"I have Mino's number. I can give it to you if you want." Jiwon says while Seunghoon was taking his first bite, resulting in the latter almost choked on the food for trying to reply hastily.

"Yes! Give it to me!" He exclaimed after managing to swallow the whole thing without being choked to death. "I mean, if you would, please give me his number my good sir."

Jiwon laughed, then took out his phone. The smile on his face was washed off immediately as he saw the notification of tons of missed calls and an only text from Jinhwan that consisted of some capitalized words "KIM JIWON UR DEAD". Uh-oh.

"Just a sec." He murmured, pressing the call button and keeping a decent distance between the phone and his ear in case Jinhwan's falsetto broke his eardrum. Fortunately, the other person greeted him with a normal-pitched voice.

"Oh look, guess who has finally discovered how to use his phone?" Jinhwan said with his mean-girl tone, to which Jiwon just snickered nervously.

"Hi hyung. I forgot to switch my phone off the vibrate mode."

"Did you hit your head somewhere? 'Cause you sure forgot a lot of stuff lately."

"What do you mean?" Jiwon furrowed his brows, and the next second Jinhwan's piercing voice caused him to bring his phone away from his ear.

"The project meeting, idiot! You asked me to help you and your crush, remember?"

Well this was a surprise.

Not even bother questioning Jinhwan's choice of words, he felt his stomach made a leap as the piece of memory returned to him. They agreed on a meeting in this very morning and he just let this whole B.I thing swept him away. Hanbin was waiting for him and oh Lord he should have gone to see if the boy were alright, he didn't find him last night--

"Where are you now?" He asked, standing up as if ready to run.

"The dandelion cafe. But the meeting ended." Jinhwan answered with a bored voice. "We waited for centuries but you never turned up or picked up the phone, so I assumed you had forgotten about us and decided to leave. But Hanbin said he would stay to wait. He said that he got a song to write anyway."

"Is he still there now?"

"I don't know, maybe you should go check up on him. Is it far from your place to the cafe?"

Jiwon took a moment to think, then replied. "Might take up to three hours on the train."

"Then call him." Jinhwan said. A perfect solution. Jiwon would want to, but he couldn't. He thanked Jinhwan, hung up, then gave Seunghoon the phone number and ran to the nearest station. He just realized that he didn't have Hanbin's number.

When he got to the cafe, there was no sign of a boy with a compose note anywhere. He asked a waiter and found out that Hanbin had just left not long ago. That stubborn kid managed to wait for three more hours for Jiwon. Maybe he just got distracted with writing songs, Jiwon assumed, but the thought warmed his heart anyway.
 

 

Jiwon got a message as he got home. It was from a recently added number, the two letters indicating the sender made him waste no time in opening the message, only to frown at it confusedly.

What an expert, at both hiding and messing around.
 

 

From: B.I
Do you have to go today? Can’t you go tomorrow?
I don’t wanna let you go, when will you be back?
I’m scared of getting far away from you
What if we naturally break up? Just one more day,
just one more hour, just one more minute
 

 

From: Bobby
?