Three

Beer and Chicken

On the weekends it was Hanbyul who shouldered the challenging mission of waking up her high-maintainance brother since she was the only one Hanbin wouldn't try to battle in order to go back to sleep. But this Sunday morning, Hanbin was woken up by Bobby.

It was Bobby's voice, to be precise, but it made Hanbin jump out of his skin nevertheless. He crawled out from his shelter made of blanket, eyes heavy with drowsiness and had to lose some time before successfully detecting the source of his ringtone. The rapper's voice sent blush creeping on his cheeks. He never wanted his favorite song from Bobby to be the reminder of an awkward incident.

Having finally got a hold of his phone, he yelled at it as soon as his finger hit the green symbol.

" you."

"Good morning to you too, Hanbinie." A deep laughter greeted him. "Is that how you normally converse with people calling you? You should be glad it's me. Not only am I handsome, I'm also very forgiving."

"You are special, hyung. I only ever swear at you." Hanbin mumbled grumpily as he flopped himself onto the bed again. "I made a custom ringtone for you."

"Aw really? You like me that much?"

"Nope. With you calling me tons of times everyday for your nonsense, I can listen to 'Holup' just as many times."

In reply to his sour statement the other guy, labeled Song Minho, just burst out laughing amusedly. He, as a self-proclaimed-good-friend of Hanbin, was one of a few to make it into Hanbin's phonebook just for his exceptional persistence. And of course for his tolerance too, considering he was still being friends with Hanbin despite the frequent snarky remarks the younger threw at him all the time.

"There you go my savage little cutie pie. That's why I told you it was a good idea for you to sign up to the underground." Minho chuckled. "About what I told you, what do you think?"

"The underground stuff? Good for relieving stress, I guess."

"Nein, the thing I told you yesterday. You hung up on me, remember?"

"Ah." Hanbin exclaimed as he recalled the sudden phonecall the previous afternoon when he was in the middle of an offline meeting with Bobby, which turned out to be an accidental encouter of him and Kim Jiwon.

At the time all he was trying to do was to cut off his loud ringtone, therefore he didn't really register that it was Minho calling him nor what the older boy had said to him. He just threw in some 'yes' and 'okay' then cut the call out of embarrassment. Just remembering it brought a palm to his face.

"Remind me again." He sighed and could almost imagine the older boy rolling eyes at him.

"So I was telling you about this underground cypher held next Thursday's night. And because you are an antisocial piece of I thought I should kindly ask you to come and make some friends." Minho said in one breath then stopped to gulp for air animatedly. "And. What do you think?"

"Did you just call me an antisocial piece of ?"

"Aren't you?"

"I am. So no, I won't go."

"Hanbinieee" Minho cried with an annoying high-pitched voice. "I was entrusted with gathering guests. Can't you do just a little favor for me?"

"Yes, only if I can gain something from it." Hanbin replied in monotone.

"Then how about this." The older boy said with a businessman tone. "I'm planning to invite Bobby too and I can ensure you that he will come. You always say you want to see him onstage, right?"

Hanbin opened his eyes just a bit wider. He bit his lips, considering his options before asking back skeptically:

"How can you ensure his attendance?"

"You just need to say yes and if I tell him that B.I is gonna be there, he will come running." Minho chortled. "Just think about it. You guys can even have a collab there."

That caught Hanbin's attention and he deepened his frown. Cypher with Bobby was something he could only dream of, but when there was a possibility of it actually happening, he found himself hesitating. Would he be a really worthwhile partner for Bobby? Would the other rapper actually want it at all? They hadn't even met yet (Thanks a lot, Jiwon), so he could in no way know for sure if they were a perfect match.

"Just sign me up for now." Hanbin decided after thinking for a while. "I will confirm with him if he can go," - if he wanted to collaborate with Hanbin - "but just in case, you should still call him for certainty."

"Holy , you got his phone number already?" Minho whistled teasingly. " 'Atta boy."

"Just his mail address." Hanbin grumpily modified with flushed cheeks. He would want Bobby's phone number though, he thought he should ask for it if they ever met.

"Ah, platonic mail-friends, how cute." The other sighed dreamily, then laughed when Hanbin told him to shut up. "Then I look forward to your good news, Hanbinie, whether it's about the cypher or your love life."

"Go away."

Hanbin then hang up on the maniac laughter of the older boy with a scowl. Phone still in hand, he contemplated a bit before pressing the mail icon and proceeded to type away. The frown on his face finally loosened as he hit the send button.

He could finally know what it would be like to see Bobby rapping live on stage and even better, do a collab with the boy. The thought of Bobby's raspy voice mixing with his own in a track belonged to them only drew a smile on his face. Hurriedly he sat up, carelessly put on some clothes and grabbed his phone, along with his notebook on the desk and opened the bedroom's door.

 

From: B.I
You free today? Can we meet? I'm deciding the place this time.

 

From: Bobby
Always ready :D

 


 

There were seven billions people on the planet and about fifty one millions in South Korea, so the chances for one to encounter a person twice, accidentally and all in his important appointments, should be less than one percent.

With that in mind, Jiwon must be some kind of defying-logic being, or just exceptionally unlucky, because at this moment when he was supposed to meet up with B.I, the inteference had come again in the name of Kim Hanbin.

Jiwon couldn't believe it, he was looking forward to this so much since the other rapper had messaged him the address of the cafe- a different one from last time, and Hanbin as a B.I's antifan still managed to show up here and would possibly ruin it all. He was even sitting at the green table adorned with dandelion which B.I told him to find, focusing on scribbling into his note.

He didn't even notice Jiwon approaching him from behind, so when the latter poked a finger at his shoulder, he flinched violently and let out a sound like a cat having his tail stepped on. His wide and terrified eyes as he snapped around almost made Jiwon laugh out loud.

"You." Hanbin gawked in disbelief. Same, Jiwon wanted to say.

"Yeah, me. Now if you don't mind, I need you to leave this table instantly when I'm still being polite." Jiwon annouced while checking his watch. He should shoo Hanbin away before B.I came or else the latter wouldn't be able to find him.

" off," Hanbin, on the other hand, had seemingly given up on the courtesy act. "This table is mine."

"Do you own at least one table in every cafe in the country?" Jiwon snorted as the other boy stretched his arms across the surface of the table possessively.

"No, I only need this one. There are plenty left, go get yourself one." Hanbin muttered as he landed his concentration on his note again, apparently chose to ignore the existence of Jiwon, to which the other wouldn't tolerate.

Jiwon didn't really want to resolve to this, he would look like a bully, but Hanbin gave him no choice. So he gripped the notebook from under Hanbin's hands and lifted it up in the air, the other hand pushed at Hanbin's face as the boy jumped from his seat so fast, hands flailing around panickingly.

"Give it back!" Hanbin screamed, drawing some eyes to the two of them. Jiwon immediately hushed him, but Hanbin seemed a bit out of his mind at the loss of his note.

" you, give me my notebook you face!" He roared.

"Okay, okay, but you have to change your table. I have to meet someone here and we agreed to choose the green one..."

"I don't care! Give it back to me!"

"Go to another table!"

" no!"

They were attracting attention from everyone in the cafe and Hanbin didn't seem to feel too abashed for yelling like a mad man at Jiwon, so the latter decided to surrender. He caught Hanbin's fists hitting him and gave him back the precious notebook. Hanbin immediately hugged it tight to his chest when a tored page slipped from the note, and Jiwon was the faster in the two. He caught the paper mid-air and just had a glimpse of it before Hanbin yanked it back angrily.

"Your compose note?" Jiwon asked and Hanbin glared at him.

"None of your business." The boy mumbled and dropped himself on the chair, not leaving no matter what. Jiwon tilted his head, wondering if he saw it wrong. If he didn't mistake it, there wasn't only a love song written in the piece of paper he caught.

"So you write rap track too?" That, or Hanbin wrote love songs with too much cursing. As though confirming his suspicion, Hanbin's ears turned beet red.

"I know you listen to hip hop, but rapping? That's new." Jiwon folded his arms, looking down at the boy below engrossedly. Then something dawned on him. "Wait a minute. Do you hate B.I because you are actually jealous of him?"

"Wha--?!" Hanbin turned around and scrunched his nose in a funny expression. This Kim Jiwon guy was just too much. Now he was accusing Hanbin of being jealous of himself?

"That's ridiculous. Of all great rappers there are why would I be jealous of him?" Hanbin said with a grimace. "It would make more sense if you mentioned GD or Zico."

"Aren't them a bit too high-scale for you?" Jiwon's smirk went upward as he teased. In reply Hanbin just gave him a sulky pout.

"What do you know about rapping?" He murmured. Oh, I don't know, enough to be your idol? - Jiwon snickered inwardly. Instead of voicing those thought out loud, he shrugged.

"You said that I have a similar voice to that of Bobby, didn't you? I bet I could be big if I try."

"You wish." Hanbin snorted, and Jiwon had to try his best to hold back from blurting out that he was Bobby in the flesh. He wanted to go at this a bit longer.

"Your voice alone isn't everything, rapping requires skills and innate talents, which I assume you don't have." Hanbin proceeded flatly. "Professionals like Beenzino or San-E don't really need deep voice to impress, their rthymth and lyrics are what shine above all."

"At least you have good taste." Jiwon muttered at the mention of the rappers' names, to which Hanbin gave a laugh.

"What do you often listen to then?" He put an elbow on the table to have a better look at Jiwon. The latter just shrugged again.

"All kind of stuff. Masta Wu, Dok2, Epik High. B.I, too, of course." He emphasized, and Hanbin inwardly gasped. People who liked Epik High couldn't be bad people, though.

"Putting B.I beside such names is biased, man." Hanbin said, just to annoy the other and succeeded. Jiwon scoffed at him dismissively.

"Oh yeah? I think you are just bad-mouthing him out of your own inferiority," Jiwon perked an eyebrow provokingly, then gestured at Hanbin's lyrics notebook. "Bet you got nothing there comparable to him."

His words got on Hanbin's nerves and he wouldn't be himself if he backed down. Feeling humoured and angry at the same time, he shoved the note at Jiwon's chest, silently watched as the other unfolded it and read inside. If only Jiwon knew he was reading B.I's original works, Hanbin smirked as Jiwon's eyes widened.

"Hey, this part. Isn't it better if you replace "Bill Gates" with "Gatsby"? It still holds the same meaning and rthymes better with "luxury", right?"

"Huh?" Hanbin found himself stunned as he peeked in, his brows furrowed. "Eh? You're right. I didn't think of that."

"And because you have repeated "Chillin'" thrice in the hook, why don't you repeat the verbs in the main track too? Like, sense of consistency."

What the hell, that was a ing helpful idea. Hanbin bit his lip as he squinted at the other boy who suddenly smiled at something in his note.

"This." He showed a page to Hanbin. "What is this called?"

"Anthem." Hanbin said. He just started writing it not long ago.

"I like the paralleled comparison here. It's cute." Jiwon chuckled a bit, to which Hanbin narrowed his eyes. He didn't just call Hanbin's cool brag track 'cute'.

"But this is meant for a duo, right? It's missing a verse here, and "Dumb and Dumber" should indicate two." Jiwon grinned delightfully while his eyes turned into thin lines. "Can't you think of a better phrase other than that?"

"Can you?" Hanbin pouted. He wrote this for his dream collab with Bobby, so of course it was missing one verse. In reply, Jiwon looked up as if deep in thought.

"Yongi and Yeongil? [1]" He said, raised an eyebrow when Hanbin burst out laughing.

"What the hell? That's just as lame." Hanbin snorted. "Then you might as well add "Seo Sunam and Ha Cheongil" [2]"

"Hey, that's actually quite good." Jiwon said, bringing a hand to his chin while thinking. "What about " Zhang Guo Rong and Zhou Lun Fa" [3]?"

"Cabbage Guru and Radish Guru [4]" Hanbin added, face so serious it made Jiwon hunched from laughing.

"For real?" He laughed so hard he had to grab Hanbin's shoulder to still himself. The touch sent Hanbin jolting lightly. Jiwon had much higher body temparature than him.

Hanbin's eyes darted from those beaming eye-smiles to the notebook in Jiwon's hand, a wild thought ran across his mind. Before he could stop himself he had already blurted out:

"Do you want to write the rest with me?"

"Huh?" Jiwon blinked stupidly at him. "This song?"

"Yes."

"You want me," Jiwon pointed a finger at himself disbelieving. If it were Hanbin he wouldn't believe either. "To duet with you?"

Hanbin took a minute to reflect on himself. He didn't even in his wildest dream think that someday he would give a song -which he wrote for him and Bobby, to Kim Jiwon, but there was no helping that the other's ideas went so well with him. Jiwon even fixed his lyrics, and Hanbin felt fine with it, that was something.

"Yeah" Hanbin decided. "We have to work for an assignment anyway. Why don't we make this our group's presentation?"

Jiwon's bewildered eyes made Hanbin contracted a bit from embarrassment. Ever since the day they were grouped together, there seemed to be a silent competition between them in which the one to talk to the other about the assignment first would lose. Their hatred towards each other was supposed to surpass their fear of an 'F', and both of them would never have guessed that Hanbin would be the one to give in.

"You don't have to say yes," Hanbin muttered. How could this be, Kim Hanbin could have been an incredibly inconfident individual who never believed there was anyone wanting to work with him.

"Okay." Jiwon said, flipping through pages of note while Hanbin perked up with eyes gleaming in astonishment. "But with one condition."

"What?"

"I want us to present a ballad song." Because Hanbin had condescended first, Jiwon thought he should gift the other with the choice of genre. "I see that you have tons of them here. And I always want to try rapping in slow-tempo songs." He laughed at the slightly disappointed expression on Hanbin's face. "We can still write 'Anthem' together some other time, alright?"

"Are you confident you can rap for love songs?" Hanbin smirked. Another competition.

"Not much experience, but you can instruct me." Jiwon accepted it unhesitatingly. "Tuesday, here, same time as today. Is that alright?"

"I don't have better thing to do anyway." Hanbin said, masking his interest with a flat voice, but his small smile following had given it all away and for a second Jiwon almost forgot what he really came here for.

They ended up sitting together in the green table with dandelion, writing a love song for duet. Neither Bobby nor B.I had shown up at all.
 

 

Jiwon's fingers hesitated at the 'send' button. He knew he sounded like an annoying needy girlfriend right now, but in both of their agreed meetings B.I never came. At this point he wasn't sure if B.I wanted to see him anymore.

You didn't come. Are you making fun of me?

It could be a misunderstanding. B.I could have got lost on his way, or something came up suddenly and he forgot to inform Jiwon. He wished it was a misunderstanding.

Maybe he was taking it a bit too seriously, he thought and added an emo " :( " at the end of the sentence. This should be alright, he thought. Before he was able to hit the send button, someone suddenly called.

"Hello?"

"Bobby?" Answering him was a deep voice. "It's Mino. Heard about the cypher this Thursday?"

"Are you calling from a different phone? It's saying 'unknown' on my screen."

"Ah yes, that's part of the trick." Mino chuckled mischievously. "But first, the cypher. You go or not?"

"Nah. Caught in college project." Jiwon lied. They could finish the song before Thursday, he was just too lazy to go. He loved parties, but he was not in the mood for such right now.

"Introverts as , you and B.I." Mino clicked his tongue. "But even B.I said he would go."

"He would?" Jiwon instantly sat up and voice urgent, which caused the other to laugh.

"You two are so cute, you know that?" Mino said teasingly. "Yes he would. You can trust my words. I'm with B.I right now, I can ensure that."

"Y-You ..." Jiwon stuttered, then as though realization hit him, he looked at his phone's screen. "So this is..."

"Hai. B.I's phone number." Mino said smugly. "A present for you. If you go you'll have even more."

With that he hung up, giggles graced his last words.

Jiwon looked at the new phone number in his call history, then opened his unsent message. Thinking for a second, he erased it.

He would try to believe in B.I again. This time, he would demand a face-to-face explanation.
 

 

Song Minho felt so proud at himself as he slipped the phone back in the pocket of Hanbin's jacket, which was left carelessly on the back of his seat. After a while Hanbin came back from the toilet,  clueless of his mischief and genuinely happy for being treated to dinner.

These two are too dumb, he mused. Not his business, anyway.
 

-----------------------
[1]Main characters from the manga Shonan Junai Gumi who fight at first and then become friends. Original Japanese names are Eikichi Onizuka and Ryuji Danma.

[2] A comedian duo

[3] Two Chinese actors from the movie “A Better Tomorrow”

[4] Characters from a cartoon called “Once Upon A Time” (배추도사 무도사의 옛날예적에). They’re two little monk-looking dudes.

Source