Prologue

Lion and Hound(or puppy?)

Hyejin looked at Wheein like she was her whole world. She was more than certain that there can be no one who understands Wheein more than her. She can be certain that this adorable little fluff is actually just another sad old soul whom she must protect at all cost because oh my lord she will punch anyone who dares to hurt this little puppy with the cutest dimples and her adorable moon eyes that disappears when she smiles.

 

And when Hyejin was alone at home, and needed company, she would go over to Wheein’s uninvited because she was the only who has that special privilege. It was a difficult privilege to obtain, but it was one that she treasured greatly. She would bring stories and news, she would bring conversations with her, and she would bring food to make sure her friend eats. Hyejin would lay on the couch and laze around Wheein’s apartment as her munchkin kitty demands for attention from his owner. Hyejin would check up on her once in a while to ensure her regular dose of social contact and face-to-face human interaction.

 

Hyejin is at her most content state when she sees Wheein distracted. She had come to an understanding, over the past few years that Wheein doesn’t believe in happiness. It is a sad philosophy to live by, but it is one that Wheein has found herself to be most stable to go about her life with, mentally and emotionally. And Hyejin would support Wheein regardless of her core principles, as long as Wheein is okay. Hyejin decided then that her friend has the strongest and wisest soul she has ever known and grown to understand.

“It’s stupid to chase for happiness,” Wheein said one day when she caught Hwasa staring at her quietly, “this so called happiness is temporary, and pointless. It will always leave you even more broken after the illusion of happiness ends,” she explained, staring at her mug of hot cocoa. “If anything, Hyejin-ie, they are just distractions from sadness,” she looked up into Hyejin’s eyes. And in them, the younger one found a tired soul longing to be free of this worldly chains. She said nothing, but nodded in understanding. If that is so, then she decided she will do everything she can to make sure her best friend can find distraction from her sadness whenever she needs them.

 

Hyejin and Wheein one day decided to go on a vacation together; a trip to a country that they would enjoy the sun while harsh winter came over South Korea. They went to New Zealand, just the two of them. They had planned their trip for weeks; Wheein was excited to see New Zealand’s beautiful landscapes and just going on a road trip in their four wheeled ride; while Hyejin being equally as excited to spend their time together trying out different foods and enjoying the sunny weather. “Thank you for this, Hyejin-ie,” Wheein said suddenly, when they were tucked in under the duvet of their double bed in the air BnB that they found over the internet. “I know I said that I don’t believe in happiness. But these days, I feel this sense of gratefulness by just being with you, where one would usually feel happy,” she confessed. Hyejin tried to understand the concept. This strange girl, with her strange, beautiful mind, and her strange way of living her life and her depressing coping mechanisms to adapt to it; she had just confessed to her that spending time with her was the closest she could get to being happy; being grateful for the opportunity. To her, that was the highest praise a person could expect from Wheein. Hyejin reached out for her hand and whispered softly, assuring Wheein that she, too, was having fun. That she, too, was grateful, for the chance to be with her and experiencing this together. Wheein was not one for physical contact. She’s not the type to be affectionate with her friends; but in that moment, she allowed herself to be taken care of, to be loved by her best friend. Wheein gave Hyejin her first smile, the kind that Hyejin learned as time goes on to be one that was an exceptionally rare show of genuine raw emotion only reserved for her and those whom she lets herself be vulnerable to. Hyejin was surprised at the smile; so she replied by caressing Wheein’s hand gently and let the silence float through the air in a comfortable warmth.

 

Sometimes Hyejin couldn’t help herself from watching her best friend and analysing her deeply. It baffles her to no end how such a solemn, quiet soul could be so passionate about bringing joy to the world. She thought her friend was literally, a walking irony. Every time she sees Wheein feeding the strays, she always wondered what was going through her mind. Every time Wheein silently sneaks in a few coins into a homeless person’s empty coffee cup, she wondered if Wheein thought life was just as unfair to everyone and whether she had been making enemies with the concept of ‘fate’ as well, and maybe even with god himself. Hyejin thought Wheein probably understood her own despair at an incredibly intimate and nuanced level that she has an intense amount of empathy; she, above everyone else, wouldn’t want others to experience the same things as she did, nor would she want them to have the same realization as she had, much less even having the same views in life as hers. Wheein, more than anyone, probably understood how lonely that is. It was then that Hyejin thought Wheein was utterly beautiful, for wanting so much happiness for the people around her; when she herself had so little happiness to give in the first place. Hyejin knew then that she would spend the rest of her days with Wheein forever.

 

Hey. I'm a new MooMoo (relatively new. Has it really been 7 months already?). I guess its about time someone does something about this pairing. MoonSun is cute and all that, but there's so much potential with WheeSa's relationship which makes their dynamics so ing interesting.

Also, a bad habit of mine is not finishing what I started. So yeah. That's a thing too.

-IiMeltingSnow