Chapter 4

Chaos, Mess, Imperfect

 

 

 

 

"Chorong unnie"

 

 

 

 

Chorong looked at the girl. Bomi was sitting on the swing next to her. All of them were at the playground. It's their everyday routine to play at the playground together every Sunday.

 

 

 

 

"Hm?"

 

 

 

 

The two girls feeling really old decided to sit on the swing, watching the younger ones play. Excluded Eunji who was lying on the slide, tracing the sky.

 

 

 

 

 

"Yah unnie, get out of the way. I'm trying to slide here"

 

 

 

 

 

"And I'm trying to rest. Go play somewhere else. Don't you remember? This slide is mine "

 

 

 

 

"Unnie that's like ages ago when we decided our own home in the playground"

 

 

 

 

 

Eunji ignored Hayoung and close her eyes as she feels the cold breeze hitting her face gently.

 

 

 

 

 

"Can you count how many years we've been together?"

 

 

 

 

 

Chorong shot Bomi a puzzled look. Realizing what she had said, Bomi quickly correct her sentence before Chorong get the wrong idea.

 

 

 

 

 

"No no I mean we- as in all of us. I don't think I remember our first meeting"

 

 

 

 

 

"Ah I see. Well, since I'm the first one to born I get to see you all when you were babies. Recalling back, all of you look really cute I must say"

 

 

 

 

 

A wide genuine smile formed on Chorong's lips. Getting to see her precious dongsaengs grow up was like watching her own children grew.

 

 

 

 

 

On the other side, Bomi was thinking deeply. Does that mean Chorong saw her body before? Or even bathe together with her since she was Chorong's first dongsaeng?

 

 

 

 

 

"Bbom ah? Yah Bomi"

 

 

 

 

 

"O-oh sorry. Our parents must be friends for a long time huh?"

 

 

 

 

 

Chorong nodded. Looking forward, facing the basketball court where the boys were playing. 

 

 

 

 

Bomi secretly glanced at the older girl. Chorong look very cute even from this side. Well she's always been cute for Bomi.

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------

 

 

 

 

Feeling some water droplets falling on her skin, Eunji quickly sit up straight and pulled out her arm checking if it was raining.

 

 

 

 

 

"UNNIE! IT'S RAINING!"

 

 

 

 

 

Eunji shouted to Chorong's direction with a sad face. Chorong looked up and the sky was blue, sun still shining.

 

 

 

 

 

"Don't be stupid. It's not raining"

 

 

 

 

 

Eunji glanced around and there's no sign of rain falling. The ground wasn't even wet but her slide was a bit wet due to the water earlier.

 

 

 

 

 

"Eh? But I didn't pee though"

 

 

 

 

 

Still confused by the mystery water droplets and where it comes from suddenly a loud laugh caught her attention.

 

 

 

 

 

"AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH"

 

 

 

 

 

Eunji knew that voice a bit too well. It was none other than Son Naeun. Finding Naeun's hiding spot, Eunji slide down and saw Naeun crouching under the slide with a bottle in her hand.

 

 

 

 

 

"Yah! What did you do!?"

 

 

 

 

 

Naeun tried standing up but eventually bumped her head at the bottom of the slide and she fell to the ground, getting a hold of her head.

 

 

 

 

 

"Oh gosh Naeun ah are you alright?!"

 

 

 

 

 

Worriedly, Eunji rushed towards the younger girl and hugged her tightly, hopping to ease the pain.

 

 

 

 

 

Naeun was dying inside, she's never been this close to Eunji. Well actually it's been a while since Eunji hug her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Flashback

 

 

 

 

 

Little Naeun was crying in front of her house. Little Eunji who was just passing by noticed the younger girl. Looking at the pathetic ice cream on the ground, she assumed that Naeun dropped her ice cream. 

 

 

 

 

Feeling bad, little Eunji hugged the crying girl. Little Naeun seemed shocked but relaxed when she knew it was her favourite unnie.

 

 

 

 

"Eunji will you get you another ice cream Naeunnie. Don't cry"

 

 

 

 

Little Eunji let go of Naeun and wiped her tears with her little thumb. Little Naeun was happy and Eunji brought her to her house since her mother bought plenty of ice creams.

 

 

 

 

Since then, they often play together either at Eunji's house or the playground. Little Eunji had always been treating Naeun as a princess and Naeun liked it.

 

 

 

 

But as they grew, the two became apart. Eunji doesn't gave Naeun all of her attentions like she used to and she rarely called Naeun by the nickname she made. Till now, Eunji still haven't.

 

 

 

 

 

Fin Du Flashback ( Sorry xD)

 

 

 

 

 

"Naeun? You're here?"

 

 

 

 

 

Eunji waved her hands in front of Naeun. Still not receiving any response, Naeun's eyes becoming teary making the older girl panicked. 

 

 

 

 

Eunji thought for a while. An idea popped up but she was unsure about the idea. As long as Naeun won't start crying and Chorong won't beat the hell out of her, she had to do it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chu~

 

 

 

 

Something soft landed on Naeun's cheeks. She turned to the side, meeting Eunji's eyes. They stared at each other for a long time, no words were spoken.

 

 

 

 

 

Feeling awkward, Eunji narrowed her eyebrows and bited her lips, still crouching down. Naeun was still looking at her, she feel like she have to say something.

 

 

 

 

 

"I-"

 

 

 

 

 

"Yah let's go home! It's getting late"

 

 

 

 

Chorong's shouting interrupted Naeun. Awkwardly, Eunji stands up and offering a hand to Naeun which she shyly accept.

 

 

 

 

 

What just happened? Did she kissed me? Omo omo should I scream or do nothing now?

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------

 

 

 

 

 

"Yah Jung Yein, I realized Naeun and Eunji noona barely talk ever since the huge fight"

 

 

 

 

"Shut up Youngtaek. Out of all the periods, you decided to talk in Mrs Choi's class? Do you wanna die?"

 

 

 

 

 

Yein and Youngtaek were in the same class and they were deskmates. Well they're in the second last class. Despite that, people still look up towards them since their sisters were pretty well known and very respected.

 

 

 

Or you can just say they were just boarding their fame. 

 

 

 

 

"Ehem it's Miss. She's not married yet"

 

 

 

 

 

"Oh yeah. Who would want to marry a creep like her"

 

 

 

 

"And also her breathe smells. Everytime she opens , the air was polluted"

 

 

 

 

 

"Well that explains why the flowers on the teacher's table need to be replaced everyday"

 

 

 

 

 

"That is so true"

 

 

 

 

The two high fived and covered their mouths from laughing too loud.

 

 

 

 

 

"I hear noises hm"

 

 

 

 

 

"Oh . Shut up Youngtaek shut up"

 

 

 

 

The scary teacher slowly turns her head around, looking at each one of them. Luckily, the bell rings.

 

 

She slowly leave the class, eyes still on them. As soon as she was out of sight, Youngtaek let out a relief sigh.

 

 

 

 

"I told you to be quiet and you wouldn't listen"

 

 

 

Yein said as they packed their stuff, getting ready to go home. At the hallway, they saw Myungeun being pushed by some girls.

 

 

 

 

 

"Stop being so clingy with our oppa"

 

 

 

 

 

"You idiots. Jaeseok is my brother for God sakes"

 

 

 

 

 

Unsatisfied, one girl grabbed on Myungeun's collar and was about to punch her. Yein and Youngtaek who were witnessing everything quickly ran to Myungeun.

 

 

 

 

"Yah leave her alone!"

 

 

 

 

Youngtaek shouted and the girls scattering around. Yein was checking Myungeun and thankfully she's not hurt.

 

 

 

 

"You know I can handle them myself"

 

 

 

 

"Are you kidding me? She's gonna punch you in the face"

 

 

 

 

"Hey I know that and I was gonna slide down and run away through her wide spreaded legs"

 

 

 

 

Yein and Youngtaek were speechless for a moment.

 

 

 

 

"Hurry let's go wait at the gate before the oldies arrive"

 

 

 

 

 

------------------

 

 

 

 

"Eh where did you get that Naeun ah?"

 

 

 

 

 

Chorong asked as Naeun came with a bouquet of flower in her hands. The three friends were waiting for Naeun in front of her class.

 

 

 

 

 

"Oh someone gave it to me. You could say a fan"

 

 

 

 

 

Chorong and Bomi were excitingly happy for her. They even talked about the possibilities of what could happen next. Meanwhile Eunji kept mum all the time, not having the feeling.

 

 

 

 

"Yo waddup my unnies"

 

 

 

 

"My wonderful unnies, I miss you"


 

 

 

Naeun faked puke upon hearing Namjoo's words which she reply with a glare.

 

 

 

 

 

"I'll go first. See you guys later"

 

 

 

 

Eunji excused herself. They exchanged glances with each other hoping to know something but to no avail, everyone shrugged not knowing what happened.

 

 

 

 

 

Eunji walked pass by the dongsaengs, not even stop to say hi like usual. Again, they look at each other. Yein stands up, trying to catch up with her unnie.

 

 

 

 

 

"Woah there what's wrong unnie?"

 

 

 

 

Frankly, Eunji herself doesn't know what had got into her. Deciding not to think any further, Eunji ignored Yein and keep on walking.

 

 

 

 

 

"You can't ignore me unnie. Even if you try to run away, I still can catch up with you. I have much longer legs than you"

 

 

 

 

 

Yein then walked in front of Eunji, her back facing the front and her face facing Eunji. So basically, she's walking backwards.

 

 

 

 

 

"Why don't you tell little Yein? I'll hear you out like always"

 

 

 

 

Eunji stopped, looking at Yein with a straight face. The younger girl showing a peace sign with her hand and eventually showing her killing eyesmiles, hoping to cheer her a little bit.

 

 

 

 

"I don't what's wrong with me. It just happen. Like suddenly"

 

 

 

 

 

Yein was silent, perhaps doing some thinking. Sure Eunji is a human after all but she never ever walk away from the others even when she had a problem.

 

 

 

 

But this one was slightly different. It's her first time feeling this way also acting this way. She's the total opposite than the Eunji they knew.

 

 

 

 

"Hmm. I can't really tell what's going on but cheer up unnie. You look uglier with that expression"

 

 

 

 

"Yah you stupid kid, how dare you"

 

 

 

 

Eunji punched Yein's arm and the girl ran away with Eunji chasing her from behind. Now that's the Jung Eunji she knew. The eyesmiles sisters ran to their house, being normally loud.

 

 

 

 

------------

 

 

 

 

Naeun was sitting near the window in her room, spacing out. Her mind was occupied by this one person. 

 

 

 

 

Feeling like she's being watched, Naeun look out of her window and saw Eunji was peeking on her across her room. 

 

 

 

 

Knowing that she got caught, Eunji quickly close the curtains so that Naeun can't see her and she won't embarrassed herself.

 

 

 

 

Okay. That was unexpected. Have she been peeking on me the whole time?

 

 

 

 

 

Naeun made it to her bed and plopped herself. Closing her eyes, she recalls back all of the sweet gestures Eunji did when they were still kids.

 

 

 

 

 

Le Flashback

 

 

 

 

 

"Naeunnie! Look! My dad bought it for me!"

 

 

 

Little Eunji was running to her precious Naeunnie with her brand new soccer ball. Little Naeun who was sitting on the swing looked at the excited girl in front of her.

 

 

 

"Let's play together Naeunnie! It'll be fun!"

 

 

 

Little Naeun dislikes playing harsh games. She was afraid of getting hurt so instead, Little Naeun politely indirectly rejected her.

 

 

 

 

"My legs aren't feeling good"

 

 

 

 

"Why is that so Naeunnie?"

 

 

 

 

Little Eunji slightly tilted her head. Little Naeun was squeezing her brain out to find another reason. 

 

 

 

 

"They are tired Eunji unnie. Why don't you play with Bomi or Chorong unnie?"

 

 

 

 

"Bomi is watching her favourite show and Chorong unnie is taking care of her brother and Namjoo at home. That's okey"

 

 

 

 

 

Little Eunji was really sad. She plays alone on the ground with squinched eyes and a frown. Little Naeun felt bad. She picked up the ball and pinched Eunji's cheeks. Little Eunji looks confused.

 

 

 

 

"Let's play Eunji unnie"

 

 

 

 

Little Eunji was very happy that she excitedly grabbed the girl's hand. Little Eunji teached Naeun how to kick the ball. Soon enough, the two decided to play a match. 

 

 

 

 

They ran here and there, chasing the ball but Eunji wasn't giving any chance for Naeun to have the ball.

 

 

 

 

"Oww"

 

 

 

 

Little Naeun fell down. Eunji stopped and look behind, she saw her Naeunnie crying as she hugged one of her knee.

 

 

 


Little Eunji quickly rushed towards her. She took a look at Naeun's left knee and it was bleeding.

 

 

 


Calmly, Little Eunji took out her handkerchief and tied it on Naeun's injured knee. She hugged the still crying girl, trying her best to comfort her.

 

 

 


"Shh don't cry. We will go home Naeunnie"

 

 

 

 

Little Naeun shook her head and pointed to her knee. Little Eunji knew what she meant. She then bent down in front of Naeun and the girl was confused.

 

 

 


"Eunji will give you a piggyride Naeunnie. Let's go"

 

 

 


Little Naeun nodded and carefully hopped on Eunji's back. Naeun wasn't as heavy as Eunji expected. She made a mental note to herself to feed Naeun more.

 

 

 

 

"But unnie, your ball.."

 

 

 

 

Little Naeun said as she look back where Eunji's ball was left behind. Little Eunji shook her head and smile eventhough she knew Naeun can't see her.

 

 

 


"The ball is not important. You are more important Naeunnie. Besides, the ball made you hurt and ball is bad"

 

 

 


Little Naeun's heart was touched by Eunji's childish yet meaningful words. Naeun was enjoying the warmth she's receiving from the girl underneath her.

 

 

 

At that time, Little Naeun secretly wishing that Eunji will give her a piggyride everyday.

 

 

 

 

 

-End of Flashback-

 

 

 

 

 

Naeun's gaze slowly stopped at a certain handkerchief. Eunji never really ask for her handkerchief back so Naeun keep it with gentle care.

 

 

 

 

 

"Aish why am I recalling back all of those days?"

 

 

 

 

Naeun let out a long sigh. Thinking she should drink a glass of water to calm her. Naeun went downstairs to the kitchen.

 

 

 

 

 

On Naeun's desks, the handkerchief was nicely folded. At the corner, a name was sewed beautifully. As beautiful as the owner itself.

 

 

 

 

 

Jung Eunji