Fragments

#28

"Chewy-ah!" I exclaim as I try to shake her awake in my arms.

"Chewy, what happened to you?" I panicked. Her body was completely lifeless on top of mine, relying on my tall structure to keep her up. I tried my best hold her lifeless body up. But my arms were getting tired.

"Chewy, wake up" I said as I shook her by the shoulders. She gave no response. I was starting to get seriously worried. I didn't even know where she came from, she came out of nowhere as I stepped inside the house. I wanted to know what she was doing before I came in here but I didn't have time to think. I was too preoccupied trying to revive her. I used both of my hands to brush away the hair from her face and cupped it. I felt a big strike on my heart when I saw that her face was completely pale. Her eyes were shut tight and the skin on her face looked like it was losing blood. Even her lips, they were starting to turn purple. What in the world happened to her?

"Jesus lord, what happened to you?" I whispered in shock as I stared at her pale face with a mortified expression on mine. I dipped my right arm underneath her legs and lifted it up, using my left arm to support her back. I walked over to the long couch and lied her body on top of it.

"Chewy, please wake up" I begged as I stared at her face. I placed my hand on her neck to check her temperature, she was burning up.

"Chewy..." I begged her again, my voice coming off more whiney. I started freaking out when I got nothing but silence in response. Why was she like this? What could have possibly happened when I was away? I prepared everything for her. I made her food, I told her everything she needed to do. I even made sure that the food was easily accessible so she wouldn't have a hard time getting to them. Then it hit me.

'The food...'

I stormed to the kitchen and checked the food I prepared. It was completely untouched.

"Oh no" I exclaimed and stormed back to the living room.

"Chewy, Chewy wake up please" I shook her arm trying to get her to wake up. Her body was totally dead; it wasn't responding in any way.

"Chewy please!" I freaked out. I was about to lose it. The sight of seeing her passed out was unbearable for me. I felt my heart pound at an alarming pace. My chest constricted itself making it hard for me to breathe. My mind a mess, I was unable to form coherent thoughts.

"This can't be happening" I tell myself as I grabbed my hair. I squeezed the strands as hard as I can, hoping it would cancel out the pain I was feeling inside.

"What should I do?" I admitted. For the first time in my life, I couldn't think of a solution to this problem. I suddenly forgot all of the things that I have learned in med school. I was lost, I was just as lost as she was when she roamed the streets. I didn't know I could be like this, I always knew what to do in medical situation before, but this one was different. I promised myself I would take care of Chewy and make sure she was always healthy. But it seemed that whatever I did, only brought her no good. My mind suddenly went back to the first time I met her on the streets. She barely alive, her body unable to even lift her own weight. She was in so much pain. This moment wasn't any different. She was dying in front of me. Only this time it was much worse. She wasn't conscious at all, her face was as losing its color and the worst part of it is it was because of me.

"What do I do?" I repeated over and over. I was running out of ideas. I went to my bag to search for something I could use to help her. I ruffled through my things messily, throwing whatever I needed out of the way not caring if it made a mess. I couldn't find anything useful at all. As my bag got messier, so did my mind. I no longer knew what I was doing. Suddenly, I spot a small pamphlet landing right on the floor. It caught my attention because the print had something very familiar to my eyes.

"____ Medical center" I recognized it as the pamphlet that Wendy gave me back in the hospital. My mind hatched the only thing it could come up with.

"No" I said to myself as the idea grew in my head. Should I really go for it? Is it even a good idea?

"No... there's got to be another way" unfortunately it seemed to be the only thing I could do right now. I had to bring her to the hospital. Wendy's hospital. It was only there that she could be taken care of as I didn't know what to do. I figured if I can't revive her, then maybe the doctors can. But I was doubting myself. I wasn't keen on the idea of bringing her to the outside world where she will be exposed to the thousands of erted minds that populated this earth. I didn't want to bring her out, I didn't want people to see her. Such an innocent girl like her, who knows that they could do to her. But as I look at Chewy's lifeless body on the couch, I realized that there was no other way. I had to do it, if it’s for her wellbeing. I'd risk it.

I grabbed my phone and start dialing the hospital's emergency number. Minutes later, I heard a siren blaring outside my front door. Men in medical uniforms started storming in with a stretcher. I watched as they scraped her off the couch and took her away. It was like a nightmare. I was left standing frozen in the middle of the living room. Watching as they took her away on that stretcher. It wasn't until one of the medical staff ask me if I was going to join them that I realized I was still stuck in reality. I let them take me away. They placed me inside the ambulance, just beside Chewy's lifeless body. I spent the entire ride to the hospital staring at her pale face. I somehow wished that it was just a mask. I wished that the real Chewy was underneath, the Chewy that looked lost whenever I told her what to do.

I followed the men as they pushed Chewy's stretcher to the emergency room, keeping close watch of her the entire time. I couldn't see any form of pain in her, she looked so peaceful, she looked dead. I looked at the determined faces of the men around me silently praying to every single one of them to bring her back to normal. As we finally reached the ER, one of the men suddenly held me back.

"Sir, I'm afraid this is as far as you can go. We'll take care of her from here" he said. I already know how this works. I've seen this many times in my trips to the hospital with my father. I wasn't allowed inside. But my heart somehow refused to listen. It wanted me to ignore the man's words and push my way inside. It wanted me to take care of Chewy myself. But I already know that I wasn't very good at that. I looked into the man's eyes to see that he was serious.

"You better bring her back, or I'm suing you guys" I looked the man dead straight in the eye. He nodded silently and closed the curtain.


It had been how long since I've been here? I lost track of time. Seconds turned into minutes, minutes turned into hours. My mind was a mess as I paced back and forth in front of the door to the room they transferred Chewy to. I stared at it constantly, wishing I could hear what was going on inside, but all I could hear was the sound of my own heartbeat. It had all happened so fast. I couldn't believe how things had to come to this point. I was immediately regretting the fact that I overstayed with Wendy. Letting myself get carried away with her rather than going home to Chewy as fast as possible. Maybe then, I could've saved her from this fate that she is suffering from.

I took a seat on one of the chairs in an attempt to calm my thoughts. I covered my face with my hands, trying to block myself of any source of light as I felt like I didn't need it. I needed only darkness for now, I needed to think. What was I doing wrong? I thought things were going well for me and her. I thought I promised myself to take care of her as much as I can. But it seems that all my efforts just went to waste as now she isn't in any better state than when I first saw her. I didn't know what I was doing wrong, but I know something was definitely wrong.

The sounds of footsteps coming down the hallway suddenly interrupted my train of thoughts. The loud thumps filled the silent hallways, making me unable to process my thoughts properly. The person sounded like they were wearing heels, it was definitely a female. I sighed as I was annoyed by the sound of those heels inching closer towards me. I just wanted to be alone and think. My eyes suddenly snapped open inside the palm of my hands when I heard an awfully familiar voice greet me out of nowhere.

"Jun?" I heard the voice call. It was familiar, it definitely was. In fact, it was TOO familiar. My mind already started forming images in my head as I thought about the person that was bothering me at this moment. Was it really her? I didn't even know she was still alive after all these years. Especially without me.

I removed both of my hands from my face, revealing no other than my ex-girlfriend standing in front of me. To my surprise, she looked great. She wore a pink, one-piece dress, black matching heals, sparkling twin earrings and her hair was dyed red. She looked expensive indeed, proving that all these years without me has been doing her good. Very good.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her, my voice coming off as hoarse from the hours of keeping silent and worrying too much.

"I was about to ask you the same thing" Nayoung said with an ever-so-innocent expression on her face. I knew that expression, that was the face she uses to fool people into thinking she's a nice, goody-little-two-shoes. But I knew better.

"I asked you first" I insisted and rested both my arms on my knees, choosing to stare into nothing rather than her face.

"I just... got a checkup from the doctor" Nayoung's voice was slightly softer than usual, as if she could see that I wasn't in the mood. I simply raised my eyebrow at her, waiting for her to finish her statement.

"He told me my baby was fine." I let out a chuckle and a smile after hearing her words.

"Great, good for you. You seem to have a steady life coming for you. You made it big. You found yourself a man and now you have a child coming for you. You've forgotten all your problems, even the ones that were there for you along the way. You don't need to know what's happening with me." I said, my voice was full of bitterness as I said those words. She still hasn't grown tired of gloating in front of me.

"I haven't forgotten, Jun." she said. My head slowly snapped upwards to look at her, trying to figure out if what she was saying is true. I somehow found it very hard to believe her, after everything we've been through. Nayoung sighed sat down a little too close to my side and we stayed there sitting silently for a few minutes, trying to process our thoughts before she broke the silence.

"My boyfriend left me two weeks ago, when he learned about the pregnancy. Ever since then, it's only been me. I've been trying to find ways to deal with this baby. I even considered abortion but I couldn't bring myself to do it. So I decided to go to the doctor for help" Nayoung explained. I felt the tension between us slightly dwindle and allowing me to turn my head and actually look at her. I saw the sorrow in her eyes, it was real. I could tell that what she was going through wasn't easy at all for her.

"So what's the status?" I asked, my voice still trying to force itself to sound normal.

"My baby is fine. I decided that I would take care of this by myself. I don't need that jerk" Nayoung said. She seemed so sure of herself when she said that. I kept myself quiet after. Honestly, I wanted to just lighten up and loosen up the tension that was present between the two of us. But I found it hard. I just don't know if I could trust her again. I did appreciate the fact that she was opening up to me, it showed that she has somewhat matured throughout these years.

"Hey Jun." Nayoung said as she placed her hand on my shoulder. The contact somehow helped ease up my nerves. It was something I hadn't longed for years and probably never will. But it was helping.

"I know that I did you wrong. I know you're still mad at me for what I did. I know you feel like I used you to get better grades in class. I am not going to convince you that I had feelings for you but I want you to know that we are not enemies. I don't expect you to forgive me but I hope we can get along somehow" Nayoung's words awakened something within me. Now that I thought of it, why did I hate her so much? Was it because I couldn't beat her academic records? Was it because she always had the better of me during our relationship? I couldn't quite remember. Whatever disdain I had for her it was probably something I felt a long time ago and my pride just refused to let go of that thought. The Nayoung I saw today was very different than the one I used to know. The Nayoung I knew never admitted to her mistakes. The Nayoung I knew never tried so hard to make peace with me. It was always me chasing after her.

"I don't like seeing you like this" she said. The Nayoung in front of me was clearly a different person. This Nayoung was making a lot of big mistakes in her life and it has taught her how to have sympathy. The person I had longed for a long time ago, coming so late into my life. She was too late. But I feel like I had to be fair. She took the effort to open up to me first, and I feel like I had to do the same.

"Someone's in there. A person that I have responsibility over. I promised myself that I would take care of her no matter what, but I only end up making things worse." I said. My voice was starting to show the true color of my emotions. I had slowly started to remove the mask that I wore whenever I saw her. I was not okay.

"And now she's here because of you?" Nayoung asked. It pained me to hear those words coming from her because they were so true. Chewy is in the hospital because of me. I failed to come home that night and it cost me the only thing I cared about right now.

"I went to go look for a job one night, but I came home too late and.... well I came home and she was... I don't know what happened to her" I struggled to keep my words stable as my voice cracked everytime I tried to speak. My words threatening to break out into a mess of emotions everytime I said something.

"Whoever is in there... you clearly love her a lot" I immediately froze at Nayoung's words.

"What?" I said.

"I can see it in your eyes Jun, you love her very much. You love her a lot more than you loved me"

Love?

I mean I admit I care deeply for Chewy and she's cute and all but...

I'm not sure if what I feel for her is love. The kind of love that Nayoung was referring to at least. I just, I just don't know what I feel for this girl. She came into my steady life and turned it into a crazy rollercoaster that swerved everywhere. It's crazy.

Just as I was about to reply, a nurse suddenly comes out of the room.

"Are you relatives of the patient?" the woman asked. Me and Nayoung looked at each other, looking for something to answer the woman.

"I-I am" I said. We were not related at all, but it's the only way I could justify my relationship with the poor girl. She had no one else to look after her and I was afraid that the nurse wouldn't allow me to see her if she knew we weren't related at all. I knew she'd ask me where the girl's parents are to which I wouldn't be able to answer anything, not even Chewy knew where her parents were. I couldn't say that I was her boyfriend either, because I wasn't.

"Would you like to come and see the patient, sir?" the nurse asked. I was flustered by her question. I don't know if I was ready to see Chewy again, especially on a hospital bed. Before I could answer however, I felt Nayoung's hand grab mine.

"I have to go Jun. Please take care of yourself, and her as well." Nayoung said with an almost commanding tone, as if she was asking me to do her a favor. I slowly nodded and gave her the faintest smile before watching her disappear from the hallway.

"Sir..." I heard the nurse call. I turned around and saw her standing by the opened doorway, her hand gesturing for me to enter. I found myself unable to move from my spot. I stared at the gap on the door, knowing the Chewy was just inside. A part of me wanted to come inside and see her, but a bigger part of me was terrified. I wasn't ready to see Chewy on a hospital bed. It might be too much for me to bear. I slowly glanced over to the nurse who was patiently waiting for me to enter. I slowly inched towards the entrance of the room. My mind was already forming pictures of Chewy on the bed which made me all the more scared, but I wasn't going to stop my feet from taking me inside either.

As I finally stepped inside the room, I finally saw the thing that I was dreading the most. I saw her there, Chewy was sleeping on the hospital bed. She wore a white gown that draped her entire body, making her look like an angel. She looked so peaceful sleeping on her bed that I tried my hardest to feel relieved at the sight of her so peaceful. But alas, my mind could still see the bigger picture; she had a long transparent tube connected to her hand that ran all the way up to an insulin pack just hanging by the bed. She had a pulse oximeter attached to her finger and her face, it was still pale. I slowly walked inside, not once taking my eyes off the poor girl.

"According to the doctor's reports, the patient suffered from extreme hunger after being unable to consume any food or beverage for over 24 hours. The hunger caused her to pass out." The nurse said. The words that came from couldn't have been more true and it pained me. It pained me because I knew I was the one responsible for such incident. I should have stayed and fed her.

I took a seat on the chair just beside the bed and took in the sight that was in front of me: Chewy on a hospital bed with several devices attached to her. She shouldn't be having this, she shouldn't be having all these machines strapped into her. Unfortunately, they were the only things keeping her intact. I placed my hand on my forehead as I leaned forward on the bed, not noticing the nurse who excused herself out of the room. I couldn't believe this was all because of me, I know I was responsible for her predicament. If something even worse would happen to her, I would never be able to forgive myself. All of this, was a product of my irresponsibility.

"I'm sorry" I said and held her left hand, the only one that was free of any machines. I intertwined my fingers with hers and squeezed it lightly, hoping that she would feel it and wake up. I really needed her to wake up and tell me she's okay. My emotions were running on a tank engine; I couldn't control them at the sight of her passed out on the bed.

"I'm so sorry" I whispered, my voice broken as my throat was being filled with mucus. I kept my eyes on her face, it was horrifying seeing it all pale and lifeless. She always had rich, brown skin that radiated whenever the light shone, but now it was losing its color to the point that it was almost totally pale, almost corpse-like. I didn't want her to be like this, I wanted her to be like her normal self. Innocent, child-like and lost. She may not have the intelligence of a girl her age, she may not be able to talk like most people do. But I would rather have the child-like, innocent Chewy rather than the lifeless body that was in front of me. I needed her awake, I needed her to be okay. But alas, my stupid fantasy couldn't come to reality. The reality was she was far from okay. She was out cold; she could not even respond to the simplest actions. She was half dead.

I felt the fluids in my chest accumulate into one painful spot. I struggled to breathe as I felt the liquid crawl up my throat and choke me in a vicious hold. I felt said fluids rise up and accumulate into my eyes. My vision was getting blurry from the tears that were threatening to break out. I swallowed a lump in my throat, feeling it adjust in a very uncomfortable manner before returning to where it originally was. I tried my best to be strong for her, I needed to be strong for her. I promised I would be from the very first day she came into my life. But I was failing miserably, I could no longer control the emotions that were eating me up from the inside. I finally released my hold on the dam that was stopping my ocean. For the first time in my life, I found myself shedding tears for a woman. No woman in my life has ever made me do this, not even Nayoung. I have never brought myself to cry for a girl before. It was painful, a painful rollercoaster ride of emotions.

"I'm sorry" I cried out, the tears were unstoppable at this point and I no longer tried to hold them back. I needed to cry, I felt the need to cry. I watched as my tears stained the fabric of Chewy's gown. I didn't stop them at all nor did I try to wipe them away. I just felt like it was appropriate to be like this for once. It was the right time and the right place, and it was a side of me that I will never show to anyone else. I leaned my head on top of her bicep, letting my eyes moisten the fabric rather than let my tears scatter across her entire gown. I sobbed on her arm, letting the fabric muffle my voice. It was ironic, I was supposed to be her crying shoulder, but I guess it was the other way around this time.

"N-No" I heard a voice from above me speak. My sobs temporarily ceased as I looked up at Chewy. Her head was shifting slightly from side to side. She was moving, my eyes couldn't believe it.

"Chewy?" I called out but she didn't open her eyes. Instead, she shook her head left to right as if she was trying to fight something off.

"NO" Chewy cried out, she was having a nightmare. I squeezed her hand with both of mine, trying to help her regain consciousness.

"Chewy wake up!" I cried out. My cheeks were still wet from the tears, but I didn't bother to wipe them away, I wasn't letting go of Chewy.

"NO, please don't!" she cried out again. I called her name a couple of more time while gripping onto her hand. But when she didn't wake up, I freaked out and tried to grab onto her shoulders and shake her awake. But before I could release my hand, I felt her grip on me tighten. I was surprised by her sudden boost of strength.

"Don't do that!" she cried out. She was gripping onto my hand so tight that it started to hurt a little. But it was nothing compared to the pain that was slowly building up inside my body. I felt those last few words resonate inside my head, it echoed and repeated itself inside my brain repeatedly til' I felt my head vibrate. I pressed my right hand against my right temple, I felt that my head was throbbing against my fingers. It was an unimaginable pain, it felt like my head was being crushed under a truck, but most of all it felt like something was trying to get out.

"ARGH!" I groaned as the unbearable pain brought me to my knees. I was now kneeling down beside Chewy's bed, my hand was still gripping unto hers and she did the same. She was holding me so tight like she didn't want to let me go and neither did I. I wasn't letting go no matter what, I needed to hang onto her. The pain was so unbearable that I couldn't even open my eyes, I squeezed her hand harder as the pain quickly escalated.

"Don't do that!" I heard the words in my head again, but this time it came from a different voice. The words no longer came from Chewy's voice, but rather that of a little girl. All of a sudden, I heard the loud horn of a ship ringing inside my head, the sound blasting my ears that I feared I would go deaf. I had no idea what was happening to me, or where these sounds were coming from. I didn't know if they were real or if they were just inside my head. Regardless of where they came from, they were causing me immense pain. I heard the loud horn once again, this time coupled with the screaming of a large crowd of people, making my head vibrate once more. It scared me half to death when I realized that all these sounds seemed very slightly familiar. As if I have encountered them before, but I couldn't recall. I felt like I was in a different world, alone and afraid. I didn't know if Chewy was still with my, but I could still feel her hand holding onto mine.

All of a sudden, images started flashing in my head. I don't know what they were but they played inside my mind like a memory. A ship deck filled with people screaming and running about in immense panic. There were people scattered everywhere, faces filled studded with fear. A young couple, calling out a name that I couldn't recognize. They seemed to be looking for their missing child. Finally, the last image that played in my head. A little girl was hanging from a ledge, just above the cold unforgiving ocean. Her face was frozen with fear; her eyes were begging. I didn't know who she was but she looked familiar.

"Don't!" she yelped. It was there that I realized that the voice inside my head was coming from her. Before I had the chance to react, I felt a hand grabbing my shoulder dragging me away from the nightmare and into reality.

"Sir! Sir!" I heard another voice call me. I turned around to find a nurse trying to shake me awake. I regained my senses and found myself back in the hospital room. I was breathing heavily, my heart shaking vigorously. I could still feel a little bit of the pain inside my head.

"Sir, are you okay?" the nurse said as she rubbed my back.

"I-I'm fine" I said, my voice extremely hoarse from all the panic I went through. It was crazy, I didn't understand why my mind showed me such things when I don't even remember going through each one of them. It was like I was another person for a while there.

"Do you need some water?" the nurse asked. Her face was full of genuine concern.

"No, I'm okay" I told her and slowly stood up. As I got up to my feet, I noticed a man standing by the doorway. He was dressed in a long, white coat, a white polo with a black tie, a pair of black slacks and leather shoes. He must be the doctor, but he wasn't the typical kind of doctor, he was different than most doctors I've seen around. He was surprisingly tall, his nose reaching up to my forehead and the thing that I noticed the most was his physique. He was very well built for a doctor, his biceps were visible through the sleeves of his coat and his chest was forming a lump on his shirt. I was slightly intimidated.

"This is Doctor Kim. He'll be in charge of your..." the nurse stopped as she glanced over at Chewy before looking back at me. I found it annoying the way her eyes portrayed her, but most especially since I was forced to answer this one.

"Sister, half-sister" I told the nurse. I don't know how many more times would I have to lie about the true nature of me and Chewy's relationship, but for the sake of the better, I had no choice but to keep doing so.

"Right. Doctor Kim, this is Jun. He was the one who brought the girl here" the nurse said as she introduced me to the tall brooding man. His facial features were strong but his overall expression was soft. The contrast caught my attention, in fact I feel like I've seen this face before.

"Nice to meet you" I said and reached out my hand towards the doctor. He glanced at my hand for a few seconds before looking back and giving me a smirk.

"Please, people call me Jun. But in your case, maybe you can call me Minjun." the man said as he grabbed my hand. I found it slightly uncomfortable that he never broke eye contact with me. I felt like his eyes were studying me very carefully, as if he was trying so hard to recognize my face.

"Haven't I seen you somewhere before?" he said as he fixated harder on me. At this point I wanted to just slap his face away from me as I was too uncomfortable at this point, but I tried my best to hold it back for the sake of manners. Why was he so interested in me?

"Ahhh... you were the guy who passed out from a heat the other day" he said, his voice sounding like his interest was heavily aroused. I didn't know what to do, this was very awkward for me at this point. How couldn't I recognize his face during that time? I found it hard not to be able to notice him as his face was definitely something I couldn't just forget. I shifted my eyes to the floor and swallowed a lump on my throat as I didn't know what else to do.

"I'm glad to see your manners have improved since then" he smiled, the tone of his voice was very leading. I may have forgotten his face but I definitely remember what happened that day. Only this time I felt a slight tinge of intimidation now that I recognized his status and most importantly his physique. I slowly lifted my hand and glanced at him, he still had that stupid smirk on his face. I felt like I wanted to wipe it off.

"Don't worry Jun, she's in good hands with me" Minjun said, the smirk never leaving his face.


Jun K. everybody.

What was that weird episode that Jun had? What was the meaning of all those images?

Looks like there is more to Jun than we know, and maybe even he doesn't know it himself.

As usual, do leave a comment, or a sub, or a vote, if you want :)