Alive

#28

If only it was that easy…If only it was so easy for Jun to give the doctor a piece of his mind, then he would have done it a long time ago.

Instead, he tried his hardest to suppress his anger, knowing very well that harming a senior staff member would not do him any good.

“I’m guessing this is the part where you tell me to stay away from her” Minjun says with an anticipating smile.“Don’t worry, you won’t ever see her again” Jun replies before moving forward, keeping his eyes on the doctor before passing his tall figure.


"Are you okay?"" a voice suddenly snaps Jun out of his trance, he found himself sitting in a cafeteria table with Wendy. He was never one to be flirty towards bosses, but this was something that the woman insisted on and Jun didn’t see a reason to refuse. After all, he needed something to distract him from his thoughts.

“Yeah, just have a lot on my mind at the moment” he says as he takes a sip of his coffee. It was dark out and it was past both of their shifts. The two medical workers were in the same café that they visited last time, a cozy little spot that was frequented by the hospital staff. Jun, in particular, found it amusing how the store’s elderly owner could identify Wendy’s orders just at the mere sight of her entering the door.

“So, what did you want to go out for?” he asked, knowing how busy the woman can be.

“Uhm, do I need to have a reason? You’re acting as if we haven’t done this before” Wendy chuckled as she took a sip of her own beverage. Jun struggled to comprehend her behavior but soon realized that she had a point, they were simply two people winding down together and there wasn’t always a need for a special reason to do so.

“Well actually, I also wanted to discuss your future with the establishment” hearing his boss mention that almost made Jun gulp. It had been a while since he started working at the hospital and he felt that he hadn’t been performing up to his best duties.

“I’ve been speaking to your co-workers lately and, so far, they’ve been telling me good things about you. So, I was thinking of the possibility of you working full-time with us” a warm smile formed on the shorter’s face.

Jun always thought until that point that this would be the day that he would always look forward to. The day where he would impress his boss and his father as well. The day where his father would finally recognize his efforts as something to look forward to.

But there was a hint of doubt in the young man’s head that convinced him to decline the offer.

“Thanks, but I’m not so certain at the moment”. Jun politely smiled. As much as he didn’t want to admit it at that moment.

But he dreaded the thought of an extension.

As a black Honda Civic pulled up on a pavement, the silent air was suddenly filled by the sounds of its engine.

Jun sighed as he was exhausted from his shift, Wendy simply sat by the wheel, watching the younger man as he gathered his things.

At that moment, as the headlines of that dreaded newspaper flashed in his mind, he pondered if he should just risk his entire career for a few answers.

“Hey Wendy?” he began, the older turned her head towards the man beside her. The tone of her voice was warm and the look on her eyes was enticing.

“Thanks for the ride” for some reason, as much as the petite woman tried her best to convince Jun that he could trust her, his gut always told him otherwise.

“No problem, see you tomorrow” she gives the man another warm smile as she watches him step out of the vehicle.

The sight of Jun waving and entering the front doors of his abode would normally come off to Wendy as a sign to drive off. But just as she was about to rest her foot on the gas pedal, a particular figure piqued her attention.

Just a few inches from the giant, wooden doors of Jun’s home. Through a small window, Wendy caught a glimpse of a gaunt young woman peacefully sitting on a leather couch, her expression near blank as she stared at something that was off her range of sight.

Gripping onto her rubber coated wheel, Wendy muttered two words under her breath as she drove through the dimly lit streets.

“She’s alive” 
 


As the warm air of Jun’s home engulfed his body, the young man hoped that he could finally get some shut-eye for the day. However, the moment he stepped into his tile-floored living room; he noticed his housemate spacing out in her usual spot on the couch. He would normally expect the TV to be on when the slim-woman would sit in her place, but this time it wasn’t.

Having no energy to ponder on petty matters, Jun threw his entire 6-foot frame on the spot beside Chewy, causing her to bounce a little, but it did nothing to snap her out of her trance.

Closing his eyes for a bit, Jun tried his best to wind down and relax. He failed miserably as he could feel the presence of his silent flat mate just a few inches from his tired body. Normally, being in Chewy’s company would bring Jun an odd sense of warmth that he hated to admit he was getting used to, but living with the young woman has also enabled him to sense if there was something bothering her without even asking.

So, he tried his best to sit up, despite his body aching like he was crushed by an animal, and inched closer to her.

“You still worried?” he asked despite not knowing the true nature of her predicament.

Chewy turned her head to face Jun, as if she wanted to tell the young man something, but her habit of hesitating at the last minute got the better of her once more.

Jun sighed as he was running out of ideas on how to deal with the woman. He pondered just retreating back to his room and calling it a day when he suddenly recalled a conversation that he had with his mom not a year ago.

With that in mind, Jun grabbed his phone and began booking a cab.

“Get dressed, we’re heading out” he said as he headed for a kitchen for a glass of water, not knowing that he successfully caused the young woman to snap out of her trance.

Despite not being in the mood for dates, Chewy found herself overwhelmingly mesmerized at where she found herself situated in.


The pair were in a small park located beside a river just a few meters away from their house. The ground was covered with a luscious layer of green grass that, despite the dark night, was visible due to the fluorescent glow of the various lamp posts that were decorated across the vicinity. There were also various wooden benches facing the sea that were scattered in a neat line along the street.

Chewy felt like there weren’t many beautiful things in her life, but this was definitely one of them.

“You just gonna stand there or what?” she turned her head to the source of the sound and found Jun, with a smirk on his face, walking towards the river. He gestured for her to come which she complied immediately.

The due sat on one of the benches that were situated near the river. Despite the fact that the park was frequented by couples, both young and old, the two housemates were the one of the few who saw themselves otherwise.

“You know, my mom used to tell me that I loved parks when I was a kid but for some reason, I can’t remember any of that” Jun said as he observed his surroundings.

“But I guess she was right; this place does feel right for some reason” Jun smiled as he rested back on the bench. He instinctively reached his left arm over Chewy’s shoulder. The young woman flinched as she was not used to the sensation but decided to just let it be as her mind was a little too delighted at the new things she was experiencing.

“How about you, don’t you recall anything from your childhood?” hearing those words from Jun convinced Chewy to attempt to recall anything from her childhood, but she found herself unable to as well. She couldn’t remember her parents, where she lived or what she was even like before she ended up on the streets.

“I…” Chewy began, her voice weak and timid

“Can’t remember” she finished. Jun tilted his head as he stared at the girl beside him. If, at first, his intended to get to know more about the mysterious woman, he now realized that it might be difficult not only for him, but also for her.

“Hm. Maybe that’s why fate brought us together” he said. Jun was the type of person who liked to believe that he had all the control over his life at the palm of his hands. But he did have a penchant for being wrong a lot of times. Just like how he thought that working at the hospital was exactly what he needed, only to slowly realize that he would rather be someplace else.

There was just something about the compressed environment and the tense atmosphere, especially when dealing with certain patients that gave him unbearable headaches and would even sometimes trigger his episodes. But perhaps the thing that bothered him the most was that he couldn’t remember a large portion of his life which is why it was difficult for him to set goals. Rather, he just did whatever his father told him to do.

“When I was 17, I was diagnosed with amnesia. The doctors told me that the chances of my memories coming back were unpredictable and that I could be living the rest of my life without ever getting them back” Jun said. Chewy was surprised at the information and turned her head towards the young man.

“Maybe the world meant for us to help each other remember” he sincerely said as he stared at the girl with a soft grin. Looking into Jun’s eyes made Chewy feel things she wasn’t used to, feelings that were still quite foreign to her as she had only experienced them one other time in her life.

The day she met that popsicle boy on the streets.

For a moment she pondered, could it be…

“Ah what am I saying. I’m sorry I’m just really tired” Jun laughed his feelings off as he stood up from the couch. He headed towards the large body of water and began taking off his shoes and socks before rolling up his trousers. Chewy found it odd seeing the man do these things but chose not to ask why he was doing them.

“Come” Jun called out as he gestured for Chewy to sit beside him. As she arrived at his side, he gestured for her to take her own shoes off.

“Now put your feet in the water” he said. Chewy was hesitant at first. She stared at the soft waves that rippled across the water.

As she was about to take her seat, she heard the sound of a kid laughing, along with fast footsteps coming up from her right. She turned around and saw a young boy dashing across her. Before she knew it, she found herself losing balance and falling backwards into the river.

Chewy flailed for her life, trying her best to reach the surface to no avail. The water was icy cold and she was slowly feeling body freeze from the cold temperature. As she began to lose consciousness, a series of images suddenly flashed in her mind.

She found herself hanging on the edge of a large ship, her hands held onto the white railings as her legs dangled over the water.

However, just before she lost her grip, a pair of hands grabbed her own and held her over the ocean.

“I’ve got you!” the unknown person said. She tried her best to identify his face, but her vision was obscured by her brown locks. She felt the hands pull and pull, trying their best to hoist her up, but to no avail.

Suddenly, she heard a gunshot fire and she felt the hands that held her flinch violently. Within a few seconds, she felt herself slipping away.

“No don’t!” she yelled as she sank deeper and deeper.

“Don’t do that!” she cried out. But it was too late, she felt herself plummeting to her imminent death. Her heart raced like and engine as she screamed her lungs out. She closed her tear-driven eyes, waiting for the impact with the unforgiving water.

However, she felt a pair of hands grab onto both of her shoulders and lift her upwards. She opened her eyes and was met with the face of her savior.

“Jun…”


Yes, I'm still alive.

Honestly, do you guys think Jun and Chewy have developed enough, or do you still want more? (though I'd understand if ya'll can't remember this story)

Cause I feel like bringing this story to its already. Though it depends on the reception. We'll see

Hope ya'll doing fine in quarantine :)