Courage

#28

The streets were packed as usual on a Friday night in Seoul. A young woman sat comfortably in a navy-blue Kia K5 as she watched the passing cars form streams of light from the car window.

"You okay?" a voice resonated from her left ear causing her to turn around to find Minjun staring at her with a genuine look of concern in his eyes which, despite hesitating, allowed Chewy to ease up a little. She simply nodded her head in response, not feeling the urge to speak after the traumatizing incident.

Minjun understood the young woman's predicament and decided to not pester her any longer 'til they got to their destination. Chewy wasn't exactly sure where they were headed. But she figured, for now, that the doctor was better than a stranger that could harm her at any moment.

As for Jun, the doctor-in-training never left her mind the whole time she was with Minjun. She couldn't stop pondering to herself as to what he could possibly feel to her. On what could be the possible reason why he was showing her so much kindness in the first place. She didn't care that much at first, but it was almost as if meeting Wendy caused a part of her heart to open something that was neglected for a very long time.

Minjun stopped the car in front of a small restaurant in the middle of a street full of small shops and service providers. The tall man stepped out of the car and gently walked over to her side before opeing her door and taking her hand as he escorted her inside the eatery.

It was late into the night meaning there would not be a lot of people around and, true enough, the place was more than half empty.

Minjun sat the young woman down on a corner seat as he ordered a little snack for the both of them.

"What were you doing out so late? and especially on your own?" Minjun asked as he helped himself to some complimentary water.

While briefly looking back at the events earlier that day, Chewy wasn't sure where to start or if she even wanted to confide in the doctor.

Noticing her silence, Minjun decided to shift the topic.

"Do you not have a family?" he asked, though this only seemed to further confuse the younger woman. Chewy knew to herself that family was the one thing she could never answer and so would always refuse to talk about it with anyone. She wasn't the most comfortable in the doctor's presence. She found him a bit intimidating despite his gentleman-like nature. However, she feared that she would make the taller man upset if she kept on going on like that for the rest of the night.

Minjun, however, was determined to get something out of the young woman.

And so, he figured he might use someone significant to her.

"Did he hurt you?" he asked. Chewy immediately lifted her head up causing Minjun to smirk at his progress. She was perplexed how the doctor could figure to use Jun as a topic of conversation, further adding on to her uneasiness. She pondered if he knew more about their relationship than he was letting on.

She hesitated before finally giving him an answer.

"Yes" she muttered, her voice barely audible. A scene of Wendy's heinous acts briefly flashed through her mind once more, causing her to flinch. She wasn't sure why she said so. She knew that it wasn't Jun's fault, but her internal bitterness was taking over her actions.

Minjun smiled in satisfaction at the young woman's answer. He didn't feel the need to pester her more about the topic as he had everything he needed to know.

"I don't want to sound rude, my dear. But. I don't know why you stick around him so much" the doctor said as he fixated his gaze on the girl in front of him.

Chewy felt his words sink in as she questioned her connection with Jun in her head. She wondered if it was even possible to put some definition in their blurry relationship, where they friends? housemates? or mere strangers?

However, what Minjun was about to say next was something that would catch her off guard.

"When I can take care of you much better"


"What are we doing here?" Jun asked as he and his cousin stepped into a small convenience store.

"We need to take a break; we've been at it for several hours now. You barely eaten anything today" Felix said as he went ahead to search the aisles for something to eat.

"I told you I'm fine" Jun tried to complain, but his cousin was already at the opposite end of the store. The 7-Eleven-like area was the last place he wanted to be at that moment. Though he couldn't deny that he was indeed starving.

Chewy was still out in the open doing god-knows-what. Seoul was a big city and Jun was starting to lose hope of ever finding her again. They have been to several corners of the neighborhood, the mall that he had previously taken her to, the hospital and even attempted to file a report to the police station. Unfortunately, her lack of identification just made the matter a whole lot harder as they nearly got nowhere with the report if Jun didn't resort to describing her appearance instead. Though he knew very well that the police in the vicinity of his residence couldn't be relied on that much.

Knowing that he had no choice as his one and only driver was too busy looking for food, Jun took a deep breath and decided to kill time by roaming around the store.

He arrived in front of a fridge that contained an assortment of chilled drinks. The sight of the beverages brought some relief as he scanned them up and down, choosing between sodas, juices, energy drinks and alcohol.

After eyeing a bottle of Pocari, Jun extended his hand to reach for the handle, only to collide with another one that seemed to be reaching for the same handle.

"Oh sorry" he immediately apologized before turning his head towards his left to look at the stranger. He was surprised to see a slim, dark-skinned girl standing beside him. The woman had light-brown hair that complimented her caramel-brown skin very well and was taller than most women he had seen before. She was dressed in a dark-blue cardigan with a white shirt inside and black jeans. Her eyes were unusually well rounded and had brown irises which Jun found attractive.

"I'm sorry, were you reaching for a drink?" the woman spoke, her speech bore an unnatural accent hinting that she was from another country. Nevertheless, Jun found her voice to be alluring and her Korean to be impressive for a foreigner.

"It's my bad, I wasn't looking at my surroundings. You can go first" he politely said as he took a step back for the stranger. The smiled and took a step forward to scan the drinks inside the fridge. Jun didn't know where to look so he tried to distract himself by looking at a row of chips on a nearby isle. But he eventually ended up staring at the woman's face as she looked through the beverages. Her sharp jawline and tall, inclining nose bridge sent chills down the young man's spine as he carelessly kept his eyes glued on her side profile.

It wasn't long before she turned her head towards his direction, making eye contact and causing Jun to flinch. He faked a cough and pretended to look elsewhere, though he was convinced she knew what was going on anyway.

"I'm sorry for taking so long. I'm not too familiar with the products here." the woman shyly said as she chuckled awkwardly. Jun tried his best to hide the fact that he was gushing on the inside.

"Is that so? Where are you from?" he asked, taking a step closer to avoid giving of the wrong impression.

"I'm from Taiwan. I just moved here with my father to study college" the woman replied. Jun thought that it made sense that she would have an accent.

"You're Korean's pretty good, considering you're new here" he replied as he crossed his arms for comfort.

"My mother's Korean, though she passed away before we moved here" the woman replied, the bright gleam in her eyes was briefly taken over by a look of melancholy which Jun noticed. It affected him mildly as he thought that the gloomy mask didn't suit a face such as hers. Then an idea suddenly popped into his mind.

He remembered the Pocari Sweat that he was eyeing earlier and grabbed two bottles from the fridge and handed one to the woman.

"My mom always gave me this whenever I'd get home from a tiring day of school when I was a kid. Until now, it always cheers me up when I'm feeling down." he said. The woman was surprised by his gesture as she stared at the bottle in front of her. Jun figured that she might not be used to accepting things from strangers, but was relieved when she took it anyway.

"Thanks. Hope it cheers me up too" she smiled before reaching from her wallet.

"Oh, you don't need to do that. It's on me" Jun immediately interrupted. He noticed the sudden change of expression on the woman's face.

"You're too kind." The woman said, she expressed a hint of guiltiness as she hesitantly returned her wallet.

"It's fine, I insist. wouldn't want you to feel lonely in foreign land" Jun said as he opened up his bottle.

"What's your name?" he asked. Though he felt like he was being to forward, he felt like this wasn't the only time that he would be meeting her.

"Chou Tzuyu" the woman replied. Jun instantly took a mental note to remember it.

"Hyung!" a deep, male voice shouted, startling Jun and taking his attention away from the woman. He saw his cousin standing right next to him causing him to flinch.

"Why are you yelling, Felix? I'm just right here" he said as he rubbed his nape.

"You've been standing there motionless for 5 minutes. The staff was starting to get worried about you" Felix said. Jun found his statement to be completely absurd. He was wondering if his cousin was trying to pull another prank on him and somehow got the entire store to join in on it.

"What are you talking about? I was just talking to-" Jun turned around to see that the woman was gone and that the bottle in his hand was still sitting in the freezer in front of him.

He was frozen in place as he stared at the blank area in front of him. He could have been sure that there was a woman just there a few seconds prior, he speculated that she could've left the moment she saw Felix, but then that wouldn't explain the two bottles that were now back in the fridge. A slight pain in his cranium began to build up, causing him to grasp his forehead.

"Are you okay?" Felix worriedly asked as he handed Jun a bottle of fruit soda.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Can we just go?" Jun replied after taking a sip of the beverage, the citrusy burst of flavor giving him a tiny bit of relief.

10 minutes later, the pair found themselves driving through a dimly lit street. The lack of street lights made it difficult for Felix to maneuver through the area.

"We're bound to run into something in this kind of darkness" Felix sneered as he leaned towards the windshield. Jun ignored his cousin as there was something pestering his thoughts.

'That name, I've heard it somewhere before and why does she look strikingly similar to-'

Jun's thoughts were cut off as he heard the car horn go off and the tires screech against the asphalt. Both men's bodies were launched forward as the car was brought to an immediate halt.


"E-Excuse me?" Chewy stuttered as she faced the doctor in front of her. Her discomfort in the man's presence was reaching an overwhelming extent.

"I don't blame you for not remembering, my dear. After all, it was your actions that made you forget who you are" Minjun said as he leaned closer to the young woman. The charismatic doctor then reached for his pocket and, in a flash, whipped out a lighter and positioned it by the girl's eyes before igniting its flame.

"Look at me, darling" Minjun commanded. Chewy felt herself complying against her will. She stared into the doctor's eyes and, despite wanting to look away, found herself frozen in place.

"Don't forget the deal we made" Minjun said as his smirk grew even wider.

Chewy didn't know if it was possible to feel even more uneasy than she already was. She was starting to feel nauseous as Minjun's words echoed into her mind, causing ripples of searing pain to spread through her scalp.

It was as if a part of her memory was trying to force its way out, but she was desperately fighting to keep it intact.

Chewy gripped her scalp with both of her hands as she squeezed her eyes together and sunk into the wooden table.

"Don't fight it darling. Just let your mind think freely. It will lessen the pain you are feeling right now." Minjun's voice now sounded like it was miles away, echoing through a large, hollow building. The restaurant around Chewy began to fade into obscurity as the migraine took a toll on her vision.

Then in a moment, as if something inside her snapped, she was taken to different dimension altogether.


A cramped-up apartment, a dimly lit room, the smell of boiling water on the stove. Chewy was unfamiliar with the environment surrounding her. From the looks of it, the place looked to be someone's home. But she was confused as to why she was brought to it. She did not recall ever having a home and yet she found herself staring at a half eaten plate of sardines and rice.

The unit was barely furnished; a worn-out couch, a wooden table with two seats and a single bed for one situated in the furthest corner of the room.

A muffled voice suddenly broke the silence, causing Chewy to turn her head at the source of the sound and found a single, white door on the left side of the unit. It terrified her to think that she wasn't alone in unfamiliar territory, but she figured that they may be able to provide some direction in her confusing episode.

Chewy stood up from her place and approached the door. She hesitated for a bit before pressing her ear towards the hard material.

"Please" a male voice suddenly spoke. It was a gentle, yet authoritative and Chewy found it oddly heartwarming despite the distress present in its tone.

No response was given after a minute. Chewy to assume that the person was on the phone.

"Just give me another chance. My boss hasn't payed me my full salary yet" the voice continued.

"Does it really have to be this way?"

"No, I can't give up my daughter"

'Daughter?' she pondered to herself. She was the only woman present within the unit and she did not see any signs of another occupant. Nevertheless, she felt sympathy for the man. She wondered if she had a father, would he show the same amount of concern and care for her. It brought a bitter pang to Chewy's heart, as if she had experienced having a father in the first place.

As the voice died down, Chewy heard the lock click, causing her to take a step back. The door suddenly opened, but not all the way. There was barely enough space for Chewy to make out what was on the other side. She wasn't sure what to do in that moment as she wasn't familiar with the area. But something was telling her that she needed to meet whoever was behind the door.

And so, she took a step forward and took a deep breath, before grasping the doorknob. As she opened the door, a blaring light emerged from within, causing the young woman to cover her eyes for protection.

When she regained her vision, she found herself sitting in a large dinner table. The table was decorated with various gourmet meals, fruits and an assortment of wine. Chewy was mesmerized by the display, feeling like she was living inside a castle with a wealthy family.

At the end of the table sat a sharply-dressed man. He bore sharp facial features, brown hair that was fixed in a neat side part and wore an expensive-looking blue suit. His expression bore a slight smirk of unreadable intent.

"I hope you find the food to be satisfactory" the man suddenly spoke, surprising Chewy with his posh tone.

"W-Where am I and... who are you?" she softly spoke. She didn't want to sound rude to the possible owner of the house but she figured that she needed to know if she were to partake in amenities that didn't belong to her.

"You seem excited, young lady. Okay, I'll entertain you" the man said as he stood up from his seat. He took a few steps towards the young woman, with both of his hands kept behind his back. Chewy couldn't deny that she was a bit intimidated by his appearance, his blue suit reflecting the rays of sun that shone through the gigantic windows.

"My name is Kim Minjun. I am a doctor specializing in Psychology and your father and I have made a deal" he explained, taking a seat on an empty chair next to the girl.

"A d-deal?" Chewy stuttered, pondering what association the mysterious man had with her father.

"I'll be paying for all your family's debts; your father will also receive a monthly income and will no longer worry about his apartment rent" he said.

"But there is something you'll have to give me in return" Minjun said as he leaned closer to the girl.

"Your hand in marriage"

"No"

In an instant, Chewy felt herself teleporting back to the cafeteria. Minjun was now sitting beside her as he reached his arms forward to check on her.

"Are you okay?" he asked, hands gripping onto the young woman's flailing arms.

"No!" she screamed, trying her best to swipe the doctor's hands away from her.

'Dammit, went a bit overboard' Minjun muttered as he tried to contain the wilding girl.

Chewy couldn't bear the overwhelming trip that she was forced to make, witnessing events that, despite being unfamiliar in her eyes, brought a familiar kind of pain to her. The last thing she wanted at that moment, was to linger in the presence of Minjun any longer. It terrified her to think that the young doctor had access to the parts of her mind than even she was unfamiliar with herself.

"Get away from me!" she screamed as she finally broke free from the doctor's icy grip. She ran out of the store, not caring about the pedestrians that could see her along the way or where she was going. All she knew was that she needed to get away from the place as possible.

The tears bursting from her eyes made it difficult for her to see where she was going. She heard the sounds of people clamoring turn into the sounds of the gusting wind and cars driving by.

Then in a moment of Deja vu, a white light once again overtook of vision. Chewy threw her hands up in front of her face as she heard the sound of a car horn blaring across the air. She closed her eyes and waited restlessly for the impact to hit her. She figured it was better than having to endure the pain she was carrying with her for another day.

Instead, Chewy felt a pair of hands grabbing her, shaking her violently in her place. She wondered if death was trying to take her in that moment, until she heard a muffled voice call out her name.

"Chewy, it's me" the voice called, it sounded familiar to her ears, convincing her that she was still alive.

The car lights dimmed down, allowing Chewy to finally open her eyes.

In that moment, she found the person she never knew she needed so badly.

"I've been looking everywhere for you" Jun cried out as he squeezed Chewy's shoulders, his touch warming the young woman from the freezing cold. All the fear that she had experienced melted away at the expense of Jun's warm grasp.

"Why did you run away? Are you hurt? Have you eaten anything?" he asked, a bittersweet smile forming on his face. Chewy felt like she had so much to say in that moment. Too much that she didn't know where to start, resulting in her unable to speak at all.

"I'm sorry if I hurt you. I'll do my best to be better for you just... please don't leave ever again" Jun's voice strained as he nearly broke out into tears. Chewy felt like doing the same, she was overwhelmed to see that Jun cared for her more than she believed.

It was the first time she acknowledged to herself that the young man was one of the most important things in her life. She felt that a moment like that could only happen once in a lifetime and so she mustered up all her courage to bring up what she had been putting off for the longest time.

"Jun..." she began. The young man fixated his eyes on her and listened intently.

"I-" she hesitated for a moment. But seeing that Jun was more than willing to listen motivated her to push forward.

"I want to be the only one by your side. It hurts me to think that someone else could take you away. You've always been there for me, my savior, my only friend. I want to be the same for you. I want to always be with you and nowhere else. I used to think I had nothing in this world. But, over time, I realized that you're the only thing I have. If I lose you, I'll go back to my old life. Please, give me a chance, Jun. You're all I have" Chewy was overwhelmed by her the words that she was able to produce. She never imagined that she would have the courage to bear all her feelings in one go. She didn't care if some of it might've sounded selfish, she took a chance that she felt would never come again in her life.

But she was scared at what Jun might've felt towards her confession. She wasn't sure if Jun felt the same way towards her, or if he was even okay with her feeling the way she did for him. She froze in her spot as she stared at him, his face unreadable as he stood in front of her.

A few seconds later and she could no longer take the suspense. She figured that maybe Jun needed time to think about what she said and so she painfully sighed took a step towards the car.

However, she felt a pair of hands pulling her in and a torso colliding with hers. The same pair of arms wrapped around her shoulders and held her in place. Chewy's heart raced at the feeling of being in Jun's embrace. Though she had felt it before, this time was different now that she had sorted her feelings out for the young man.

"Idiot" Jun spoke out, unable to contain his happiness as a joyous smile formed on his face.

"After all this time, you only got it now?" he said as he released his embrace to look her in the eyes.

"You're the most precious thing to me in this world. You're the only one who has trusted me this much after all the time we've been together. The woman I've met in the past, they never loved me for who I am. My own father can't trust me enough to let me choose my own path in life. But you, you trusted me enough to take care of you, and over time I also realized... that I can't lose you either" Jun said as he grasped the young woman's cheeks. He felt his heart explode with emotions as he leaned his face closer to hers.

"I'll always be here for you, Chewy-ah and I'm not letting you go anywhere either" he said as he brought their lips together, ignoring Felix's demands of getting back in the car as they were causing traffic.

All that mattered to him was the woman in front of him. For she was the only one that could make him truly happy.


"No matter what happens, don't forget that I will always love you Chou Tzuyu. She may have my hand in marriage, but my heart will always belong to you"


Thanks for the new subs by the way, didn't expect em considering I haven't gotten one in ages.