Chapter 4

Remember That (봄날의 기억)

    His dark surroundings were suddenly lit up by a streak of lightning, followed by a loud rumble that can be distinctly made out as thunder. Hoseok shuddered as he continued to drive down the poorly lit road. It had been idiotic of him, really. He had ignored the warnings of an old man he had encountered at that small gasoline station he had momentarily stopped in earlier, intent on making it back to Seoul as quick as possible.

 

    Hyungwon.

 

    He had to make it back to Hyungwon soon. He can still vaguely remember their last call with each other, the younger asking when Hoseok will be able to make it back. Hoseok had promised him that he would hurry back, already craving to be in the arms of his lover. Of course, Hyungwon told him to be careful on the way back— knowing that the older will be driving alone. Hoseok had only chuckled, telling Hyungwon that he will be fine. Right now, however, he was not so sure about that.

 

    Hoseok’s eyes widened when he caught sight of a deer in the middle of the road, seemingly startled by the headlights of Hoseok’s vehicle. “,” the curse escapes his lips as he quickly tried to swerve the car in a desperate attempt to not hit the poor creature. In doing so, however, Hoseok lost control of the vehicle and his car was sent barreling down a steep slope.

 

    It was a month after that incident that the entire world, or at least the people of South Korea and all their fans from around the globe, was informed of MONSTA X Wonho’s apparent death.

 

*

 

    “Ya! Get back here!”

 

    A cute giggle was heard in response to the man’s shout. Despite the supposed anger in his voice, a soft smile was on his face as he watched the little girl attempt to run away from him. Chul was the name of the man. At least, that was what his grandmother had told him.

 

    “You can’t catch me, Ahjussi!” the little girl teasingly replies from afar, knowing how Chul did not like being referred to as old by the other. 

 

    He does not really remember much about his past. And his grandmother had forbidden him from asking about it. All he knew was that he had injured his head in an accident three years ago that erased all his memories. Luckily, his grandmother was there to nurse him back to full health; physical health, that is.

 

    “How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?” the male asks, trying to keep himself from whining.

 

    Ever since he woke up that day, unable to recognize anyone or anything, Chul found himself having dreams every single night. There were nightmarish ones wherein he was drowning. He assumed these ones were from the accident he had. At other times, he would find himself dreaming of strangers, especially of a man whose face he never seemed to remember once he wakes up. Chul had even asked his grandmother if he had other friends from somewhere, trying his best to describe what little he could remember from his dreams. Sadly, his grandmother told him that his mind was only making those people up. ‘There’s only been you, Byeol and I,’ she had told him. There was no one else that mattered.

 

    Sometimes, Chul found himself wondering if that was true. Ever since he woke up that day, it was as if a big part of him had been lost. More than memories. But no matter how much he tries to recall it, Chul still cannot bring himself to remember anything. 

 

    “Chul! Byeol!” the now familiar calls of an old woman was heard by both the male and the little girl. Pausing from their little game, the two mentioned turned to look at the old woman— their grandmother. Chul quickly straightens up and walks over to meet their grandmother halfway, Byeol following him not long after.

 

    Chul notices how their grandmother’s lips were pursed into a straight line, a discontent expression etched on her wrinkled face. “It’s is nearly sundown,” their grandmother points out and it was only then that Chul realizes that the sky was already beginning to darken. “You know how it is. Why are the two of you still outside?”

 

    “We apologize, halmeoni,” Chul quickly says, giving her a bow in respect. If there was anything that Chul hated, it was disappointing the elder. It was as if he felt like he had owed her. “We failed to notice the sky. Byeol and I will go back inside now.”

 

    There was a brief moment of tense silence before the elder nodded, turning her back to them and started walking back from where she came. “Make haste, then. It seems as if it will rain tonight.”

 

*

 

    An irritated sigh escapes Chae Hyungwon’s lips as he gently closed the front door of their dorm. After his long shower, the tall male had quickly thrown on the first outfit that he came across to: a simple shirt, a plain black hoodie and some jeans. In order to not disturb any of the sleeping members, Hyungwon had tried his best to remain quiet as he carried his luggage bag out of their shared bedroom and out of the dorm.

 

    Once he had reached the ground floor of their building, Hyungwon immediately spots their manager who had been waiting for him, car keys in hand. Without a word, Kim Seongchan had dangled the keys from his two fingers and Hyungwon walked towards him and grabbed it. For a moment, only the sound of the keys and their breathing can be heard.

 

    “Are you sure you’ll be alright alone?” was the manager’s question once Hyungwon started to walk from him. Instead of answering, Hyungwon only walked towards the entrance of the building where the car that had been arranged for the idol was waiting for him.

 

    “Send a text when you arrive, alright?”

 

    Hyungwon still does not answer.

 

    Seongchan had only sighed at the lack of response.

 

    “Have a safe trip,” Hyungwon heard the manager mumble just as he pushed the glass door open.

 

Okay, this is the first non-angsty chapter and I'm so sorry if it's really boring T^T I think you can guess who this "Chul" persona is. Don't worry. I'll try my best to fill in the missing gaps as the story progresses on. On another note... Happy Birthday to our Chae Hyungwon! Hmu on my twitter @Elliadne if you ever need anything. I'm mostly there lol