Cold (Yumji)

Gfriend One-Shots (Yuju Edition)

Yuna is entirely buried in blankets when Yewon gets back from the kitchen, the covers enveloping her all the way up and over her head. Lying at the foot of the bed is their dog Luna who, upon Yewon’s entrance, meets her gaze with a huff and a rolls her eyes that she takes to roughly mean, yep, she’s gone right back to moping about her cold.

Yewon sighs, setting the food tray she’s carrying down on the nightstand before patting the part of the lump that she presumes to be Yuna’s shoulder.

“Yuna, come out.”

A low moan is the only reply she gets, so after some seconds, Yewon sharply pokes at her hip through the covers. That earns her a muffled, hoarse yelp as Yuna finally emerges from the depths of the bed—her long hair in disarray, her eyes and nose bright red, her lips curled into a petulant frown.

Clearly, Yuna’s having something of a bad day; she’s been in a low mood ever since she woke up this morning with a sore throat and a really bad case of the sniffles. Unfortunately, not even Yewon’s healing of hugs and kisses can cure the common cold, so all they can do is wait for Yuna’s immune system to do its natural work.

That won’t stop Yewon from helping in whatever ways she can, though.

Grabbing the tray again, she offers it towards her. “I made you chicken soup. It should make you feel better.”

Yuna’s shoulders are still slumped with gloom as she pushes himself into a sitting position, but once her back is against the headboard, she nods and takes the tray. Helping herself to a spoonful of broth, she furrows her brow contemplatively before swallowing.

“Not bad,” she finally says, her voice scratchy and quiet.

Yewon does notice that she’s not calling it good either, but she takes another spoonful anyway, so she considers that a victory.

“Oh, and while I’m at it,” Yewon chimes, dashing across the room to the bookshelf, “I can read you a story.”

She scans her options briefly before the obvious choice leaps out at her, and Yewon quickly grabs what she knows to be a relatively new but not quite up to date manga off of Eunbi’s shelf. She turns around, holding the book eagerly in front of her face—but Yuna just shoots her a dull stare.

“Yewon, I’m not five and if my sister catches any of her books missing she might kill someone.”

“I couldn’t tell, what with the way you’ve been acting today, and it will go right back on the shelf when we are done with it” Yewon shoots back lightly, quirking a brow as she approaches the bed again. “Besides, you’re obviously bored. Unless you have a better idea for how we can pass the time?”

Yuna frowns at her, but she only mulls over the subject for about a half-minute before she concedes her point, holding up her hands in defeat.

“This is getting to a good part too so try and keep up,” Yewon assures, climbing up onto her bed. Minding the food tray, she cracks the book open and promptly snuggles right up next to her, shoulder to shoulder. “You’ll like it, I promise.”

“You can read to me from a distance.” Yuna coughs, as if in emphasis. “You’ll catch my cold if you’re this close.”

Yewon grins in return. “Well then, if I do catch it, I’ll expect you to return the favor and take care of me.”

Yuna shakes her head, but when she meets her eyes again, her lips finally quirk up into the first smile she’s shown her all day. “For the record, you’re gonna be eating much tastier chicken soup.”

Yewon smacks her in the shoulder before she starts to read the manga. Yuna doesn’t have the heart to tell her girlfriend that she is miles past this volume.