equals, you and i (tzumo)

coming through (for you)

summary: momo is sad and tzuyu can't have that.
verse / rating: au / non-rated.
characters: tzuyu, momo ; twice mention.
pairings: tzumo (pre-something tzumo)
+ tzuyu-centric // 499 words.


there’s a quiet pause, then, “momo? are you okay?”

tzuyu glances up from her phone, notices the way momo picks at the remaining food on her plate beside her with a sour twist to , notices the strained and unsure look that colors nayeon’s face across the table, notices the prolonged silence that still hangs uncomfortably in the air.

tzuyu knows that, as the youngest of their group, she doesn’t know much of the ins and outs of the “real world” (or the useless and unforgiving world as jeongyeon so eloquently put it after one too many sips from an unlabeled bottle after finals had ended), but she does know the ins and outs of her friends. knows that whenever jihyo gets that little wrinkle between her brows and bites at her lips, she’s anxious. knows that whenever sana replies to their texts with periods instead of exclamation points and smiley faces, she’s sad. knows that whenever nayeon goes days and days and days without reaching out to one of them first, she’s too far gone in her memories.

so when momo puts her fork down and stands from the table, tossing her share of the bill into the center and walks toward the exit of the restaurant with nothing more than an i’m fine thrown over her shoulder, tzuyu knows she’s anything but.

tzuyu doesn’t think twice about following the older girls exit, doesn’t say a word as she finally catches up with momo’s tense form walking down the quiet sidewalk, doesn’t even make a move to touch her as they head toward wherever momo’s feet are taking her. she just walks, hands shoved in her pockets, eyes forward, waiting.

it’s only after seven more minutes pass (she’d been counting, knowing the break would come at some point) that momo stops, face half hidden behind the shadow of the streetlamp above, and glances at tzuyu, that same look from the restaurant on her face now, tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

tzuyu doesn’t ask, knows that momo won’t answer now, and just reaches out, pulling the older girl into her arms, only hugging her tighter when she feels the first hot tear fall against her neck. she doesn’t shush her, doesn’t tell her sweet nothings about how everything will be fine, doesn’t ask or demand an explanation. she just holds momo under the light and lets her cry it out.

--

thirty minutes later, tzuyu turns on her side on her bed, eyes tracing from the arm that’s thrown over her waist up momo’s sleeping face, a hand reaching out to brush overgrown bangs back from her forehead. she still doesn’t know what was wrong, doesn’t know if momo will ever say.

all she does know, though, is momo had thanked her when tzuyu brought her home after letting her cry, kissed her cheek, and gave her that smile tzuyu had been missing.

and tzuyu is willing to do whatever it takes to keep it there.