sunshine on a cloudy day (samo)

coming through (for you)

summary: they first meet when it's raining, yet it's nothing but clear skies for sana.
verse / rating: au / non-rated.
characters: sana, momo ; jeongyeon mention.
pairings: samo (first meeting)
+ sana-centric // 975 words.


when sana first sees her, it’s in the new coffee shop three blocks from her house. it’s quiet and warm and provides perfect shelter from the unforgiving summer storm that has crept up during her walk home. she’d hoped she could have made it home before the storm kicked in, but apparently, luck was never on her side until she truly needed it. thankfully though, there are no people who stare at her as she stumbles inside, her brand-new summer dress sticking uncomfortably to her skin and her purse soaked, no one who gawks and sneers and whispers about how shabby she looks while they all look so put together. she appreciates the ignoring of her entire being right now.

a throat clears beside her and sana jumps, hand on her chest and eyes wide, turning to glance at the person beside her. it’s a girl, (pretty, sana muses) no taller or older looking than her, holding a steaming cup of coffee in one hand and bright pink umbrella in the other. sana makes to move, assuming she’s in her way and she wants to get back to work, but a poke in the calf from the end of the umbrella stops her, the girl shaking her head before she offers both out to sana with a close-lipped smile.

before sana can even speak (to thank her or ask her name or anything that makes her look like less of a pathetic mute) the girl turns on her heel and heads back behind the counter, disappearing through a door marked ‘staff only’ without a single glance back.

sana blinks and nods to no one in particular before she’s stepping back out the door to head home, smiling up at the Barbie logo that stares down at her from the umbrella. cute.

--

four days and a subsequent cold later finds sana back in that same coffee shop, pink umbrella tucked under her arm and plan in her head. she had thought relentlessly about how to approach the girl again whenever she mustered up enough courage (and energy) to finally head back to the coffee shop, and had finally secured what she deemed the most fool proof and top of the line plan known to man: talk to her.

(she ignores the voice inside her head that sounds strangely like jeongyeon telling her that it wasn’t a plan, it’s just what normal people do.)

she glances around the shop and has to stop herself from bouncing on her toes when she sees (pretty!) girl wiping down tables, and nearly trips over herself in her haste to catch her before she leaves the area to head to the back again. sana taps her shoulder once she’s in, what she deems, “appropriate stranger conversation distance”, and giggles when the girl turns to face her, that usual and mechanic how-can-i-help-you customer smile slipping onto her face.

the smile slips away when sana says nothing for a good minute (there goes her fool proof plan, straight out the window), only for a look of utter confusion to contort onto her face. the look stays for the briefest of moments before her eyes sweep over sana slowly (don’t shiver, don’t shiver, don’t shiver) and she notices the umbrella she has, the look quickly wiped away in favor of one of realization, now a more casual and relaxed smile curled onto her lips.

“oh! you’re the rain girl, aren’t you?” she questions and sana has to physically lock her knees to keep herself from crumbling on the spot. because not only is pretty girl nice and, well, pretty, but she’s also cute (if the soft and upturned lilt of her voice in that small sentence was anything to go by). sana nods, still not speaking, and holds out the umbrella, smiles at the way the girl tilts her head as if confused, then waves a hand. “don’t worry about that, i’ve got more than enough umbrellas like this. keep it, so you don’t get caught out again.”

the girl smiles and sana swoons, finally catching up with the moment. there’s a pause, as if both of them are waiting for the other to speak, sana letting out a squeak and jumping in surprise at the clap of thunder that sounds just outside the door. the girl laughs, this cute, full, and warm sound of a laugh, and pats sana’s shoulder with a teasing smile, “see? you get to keep it just in time!”

(sana refuses to mention that she has her own smaller, pastel pink umbrella stashed away in her purse. ignores the fact that her original plan went to and she’s going to make up a new one on the fly thanks to this sudden cliché of needing an umbrella through the rain.)

“actually,” she starts, ignores the surprise look that flashes across the girls face at her finally speaking, and smiles, “i think i’ll wait around, you know? see if someone else might need an umbrella.” she nods, clears and scratches shyly at her cheek. “just in case.”

the girl just watches her and sana’s never felt so exposed by a stranger. she feels like she’s being read inside out and when the girl finally smiles, all teeth and pinched cheeks and crescent eyes, sana feels her entire body warm and her heart swell. “i think somebody might need that umbrella, yeah.” and then she’s turning from sana again, just like last time, only now she stops and actually looks back with a smile, “by the way, i’m momo.” and then she’s gone behind the door again.

sana smiles and has to hold herself back from pumping her fist in the air, biting down on her lower lip to trap in the excited squeal that wants to break out.

she’s never been more thankful for the rain.