Hide and Seek

Seven Short Stories ♡

Myungsoo hide behind the bushes, trying to be as quiet as possible. The surrounding was dead silence. Only the sound of the wind blowing its mighty force upon the leaves and branches was heard.

 


He looked around again for the second time, and he sighed in relief when the figure he was looking for was out of sight. He took out his phone and texted Sungyeol. “Where are you? I thought you said lets’ stick together and never spilt up!”

 


The sound of the other phone beeped. And Myungsoo silently cursed for his mistake and Sungyeol’s too.

 


The sound of bushes was heard and Myungsoo tried to keep it low. There were small footsteps came near him, and he had to hold his breathe, not making any sound.

 


”Did you heard that?” He heard Woohyun said. “I think it came from that side”

 


The footsteps slowly getting further and further away from them, and when the sound was no more, Myungsoo sagged his body into the big tree and relaxed.

 


“That was close”

 

….

 

“Myungsoo you idiot!” Sungyeol typed, rather furiously. He was lucky that both Woohyun and Sungkyu went on the other way. It helped him to escape even further from them.

 


Sungyeol texted another message to Myungsoo, telling him his whereabouts. But then, he remembered Sungjong. The youngest must be feeling scared right now, all alone in the wood.

 


He texted Sungjong. “Where are you? Are you okay?”

 


He waited and waited, and there was no reply. Sungyeol was getting worried. What if the four of them caught him and killed Sungjong already? Impossible. Someone will voiced out if one of them died.

 


The sound of the birds chirping bought Sungyeol back from his worries. He stayed lower to the ground, and trying to pick out any voice that could be heard.

 


And there was.

 


The sound was getting closer, and closer.

 


“Sungyeol?”

 


Sungyeol ears pecked out hearing Sungkyu’s voice.

 


“Sungyeol are you here?” Sungyeol didn’t make a move, and let Sungkyu continued. “Sungyeol please come out” Sungkyu pleaded. “Woohyun left me alone out here to chase after Myungsoo. I promise I won’t do anything to hurt you. Just please Sungyeol, I’m scared.”

 


Did Woohyun really left him? It was possible but Sungyeol doesn’t want to make a careless mistake. But… Sungkyu really sounded scared. Maybe Woohyun did left him. He must-

 


“Shut up. He won’t fall for it”

 


Sungyeol kept silence yet again, picking up Woohyun’s voice. He lied!

 


“Well, at least I tried"

 


He can hear Woohyun tsk-ed and the sound soon faded away.

 


Making sure the line was clear, Sungyeol escaped to another place, far away from the earlier spot. He took out his phone, and sent a text to Sungkyu, “If Woohyun really ended up ditching you, don’t bother looking for me. I’m not helping”

 

…..

 

Sungjong was walking leisurely enjoying his time, looking at the night forest. It has been long since he last came here with his family. A beep sound was heard, and Sungjong can feel the vibrate from his phone in his pocket.

 


He took out his phone and read Sungyeol’s text. Just when he was about to reply, a figure hopped on him, making Sungjong and the guy fall on the ground.

 


“Ouch!” Sungjong turned around, and rolled his eyes. “Don’t ever do that again, hyung! You scared me”

 


Hoya smiled, already getting up. He dusted his pant from the dust and offered Sungjong a hand.

 


The youngest grabbed it and soon was pulled, feet on the ground. “So, I guess you caught me”

 


“I did. But don’t tell the others”

 


Sungjong raised his eyebrows. “Why?”

 


Hoya trained his head, to the other way, and Sungjong saw a glimpse of Dongwoo playing by the river.

 


“We got tired trying to find you guys, so Dongwoo insisted to play around first” Hoya sighed. “Dongwoo hyung!”

 


Dongwoo turned to their side, and quickly picked up his pace to make his way towards them. “Jongie you’re here! We have some food over there so lets’ eat”

 


No even trying to protest, Sungjong agreed.

 


“Are you sure it’s okay?”

 


Both Hoya and Dongwoo grinned. “Trust us, it’s more than okay. Besides, it was their idea to play hide and seek in the wood. We were supposed to be camping, not hide and seek”

 


Well, it’s true, so Sungjong shrugged. “Okay then. So, where’s the food?”

 

 

Myungsoo was getting tired of hiding. He really was. He couldn’t find Sungyeol anywhere and maybe Sungyeol was messing around with him, giving false location. Giving a text saying “I hate you” to Sungyeol, Myungsoo walked back to the camping site.

 


He expected to see no one in the site, but to his surprise, there he was, Lee Sungyeol sitting quite comfortably near the camp fire.

 


Ignoring Sungkyu’s presence resting his head on Sungyeol’s shoulder, Myungsoo charged forward and hit the back of Sungyeol’s skull. “Where have you been?!”

 


“First of all, ow that hurts!” He whined, rubbing the back of his head. “And second, him…” he pointed to Sungkyu. “… And Woohyun have been tailing my behind all this time. I ended up being caught” He ended with a scoff.

 


Myungsoo sighed, and looked around the place. “Fine. So, where’s Woohyun?”

 


He yelped when two strong arms wrapped around his waist and he was pulled backward to Woohyun’s chest. “Caught you!”

 


Myungsoo struggled to free himself, and eventually gave up when his effort failed. “Fine, you caught me” He sighed. Myungsoo leaned himself to Woohyun’s embrace, feeling content with the touch.

 


Woohyun then released his hold earning a small protest from Myungsoo and gave Sungkyu a high five. “We are close to winning!”

 


Sungkyu smiled, and turned to the other two. “Lets’ just hope Hoya and Dongwoo find Sungjong, then we can all start eating dinner, and rest”

 


Everyone agreed… and so they waited, waited, and waited for their three other friends to join them, not knowing that those three has fallen asleep on their picnic spot by the river.