5th Charm

Third Time's a Charm

“Why are there so many different gyms here?”

 

You were not a sports fanatic, the only kind of sports you’ve ever done –if it can even be categorized as one, is taking the stairs to your apartment or classes when the elevator’s broken. That itself is quite a workout for you, never failing to leave you breathless and sweating profusely.

 

Therefore, there was no surprise this is only your second visit to the sports complex –first time was when you did a cover for the magazine’s sports issue. Your tried your best to locate the boxing gym, your weak sense of direction not lending any help to your dismay. The endless list of sports facilities at the notice board just made it worst.

 

[Flashback]

“Do you have my camera too?” you confronted him privately after his ‘grand’ entrance to the publication office.

 

Daniel nodded, keeping his cool by giving you a small smile. As you were about to ask him to return it back to you, he interrupted. “Drop by the boxing gym when you’re done for the day. I’ll give it to you then.”

 

He gave a boyish smirk and a playful wink before leaving you standing there dumbfounded.

 

The whole day felt like an endless treasure hunt, as you had to look around for ‘clues’ and complete ‘missions’ just to get a hold of your missing camera bag. Rather than being nervous, you were now filled with anger as you felt very annoyed at Daniel, when you realized that he has been lying to you about not knowing the whereabouts of your precious camera.

 

You heard sounds of thumping footsteps, punches and commands as you stepped into the gym after wandering aimlessly for a good twenty minutes. The members of the boxing club were having their usual training, split into different groups based on their levels in different areas of the gym. The largest group, which you assumed to be the beginner’s class, were learning how to hit the punching bags on one side.

 

You scanned the room for Daniel and found him in a smaller group of three –along with Woojin and Jihoon, doing shadowboxing in front of a large mirror. You watched intently as Daniel practiced throwing punches while watching his reflection in the mirror.

 

You were left speechless, watching his footwork as he shuffled his feet while moving his body back and forth in a rhythm, at the same time skillfully throwing precise punches in the air. A spontaneous ‘daebak’ came out of your lips, as you observed Daniel. You knew he is a great boxer, but you’ve never seen him in action before –if you didn’t count in him fighting against the gang last night.

 

You understood why many girls are fanatical about him. Kang Daniel is very attractive, his visuals and perfect build shines especially the athletic side of him. You had to admit, his tough and manly side even made your heart flutter.

 

Daniel noticed your presence in the gym through your reflection in the mirror. He concluded his training and bowed to his coach before deciding to acknowledge you.

 

“If I didn’t know any better I’d say, you were clearly checking me out,” Daniel teased as he walked closer to you.

 

“Where am I supposed to look then? At the wall?” You sharply retorted.

 

He chuckled, both arms crossed before him. “So, you admit that you were staring at me earlier?”

 

“What if I am?” You immediately regretted what you just said when you saw Daniel leaning close, inches away from your face. Messy wet hair, boyish smirk and those gentle eyes of his made your knees go weak. You quickly avoided his gaze to prevent yourself from blushing.

 

Both of you took a step away from each other when someone cleared his throat. “Enough with the lover’s quarrel hyung. Why don’t you introduce us to this pretty noona here?” Jihoon interrupted, sensing the tension in the air as he walked closer with Woojin in tow.

 

L-lover’s quarrel? Daniel didn’t seem to deny the claim as he gestured towards you. “I’m pretty sure you know them,” he addressed you. “Guys, this is Lee Jooyeon, she’s a photographer for our university’s magazine.”

 

Both of them bowed and greeted as you returned the gesture. “No wonder you look familiar. We saw you at the convention!” Woojin pointed out.

 

“Oh, I thought you’re Daniel hyung’s girlfriend.” Jihoon added, giving you a wink. You noticed that he has beautifully shaped eyes and long eyelashes that made his winks more stunning.

 

“Girlfriend? Really…?” That word broke your reverie as you stared questioningly at Daniel. What now? “Luckily, I’m not his girlfriend.” You corrected, sending him a glare.

 

Daniel didn’t seem to faze from your glare. “Would you like to be?” he challenged.

 

You gasped, mouth agape at his sudden proposal as tension could be felt between you two. He was definitely getting more daring, upgrading his date invitation to a relationship proposal. Or was he just pulling on your leg?

 

“Get a room you lovebirds,” Woojin playfully teased, cringing as he scrunched his face at the cheesiness in the atmosphere between you and Daniel.

 

You suddenly took interest of the empty wall to your left as you avoided eye contact with Daniel. He scratched the back of his ear before clearing his throat, signaling them to change the topic.

 

“Daniel hyung said that we’ll be having an exclusive interview soon with the magazine. We look forward to working with you,” Jihoon mentioned, giving you a cute smile that melted your heart. No wonder Doyeon adores this Jihoon boy, he’s adorable.

 

After a short chat with the boys, they both left to clean up and head home. You straightaway turned to Daniel, getting to business of why you were there. “I’m here now. Where’s my camera?”

 

Daniel ignored you and walked towards his locker, as you trailed behind him. He unwrapped the hand wraps around his knuckles and quietly packed away his protective gears into his duffle bag. You impatiently tapped your right foot, urging him to move faster. He took out a small black bag from his locker and you exclaimed, “My camera!”

 

Before your hands could reach it, he lifted it above his head, high up from your reach. “Our deal is not over yet.”

 

“But we already agreed to do the exclusive interview…”

 

“That was the deal with your chief editor, not you.” Daniel rephrased.

 

“What do you mean?” You frowned, still jumping to reach the camera.

 

“I’ll give you back this camera if…” he trailed off before continuing, “…you go on a date with me?”

 

“Excuse me?” You gasped, getting tired of his schemes.

 

Daniel sighed, going straight to the point. “Don’t you think you owe me at least one date for saving you today?”

 

“Crafty.” You responded. He was sly, something you’d never expected.

 

“Think about it. Until then, your camera is safe with me.” He winked, before placing the bag back inside his locker.

 

You two made eye contact. It’s weird that he was supposed to be blackmailing you, but he was gazing hopefully into your eyes, anticipating to hear a positive response. “I’ll consider. J-just… make sure it’s not broken or anything. That camera is very precious to me.” You said after much contemplating.

 

“I’ll guard this with my life.” He promised. “Do you need me to send you home again today?”

 

“No thanks. I already owe you enough.” You curtly replied, before leaving.

 

*************************************

 

“Did you get to meet Park Jihoon?”

 

As expected, instead of focusing on the current problem, your best friend was more interested in your short encounter with the apple of her eye. You headed straight to her house as soon as you left the gym, to spill out all your frustrations. She rolled her eyes when you gave her a judging glare, replying with an annoyed ‘fine’.

 

“Argh! Seriously, I hate Kang Daniel! He’s so… manipulative!” you groaned miserably.

 

“But irresistibly cute and hot.” Doyeon suggested, finishing off your sentence while being occupied with her phone.

 

You sent her another glare. “Oh, come on! Don’t tell me you don’t find him a least a little bit interesting?”

 

“Right now, I don’t know what to think of him.” You grumbled, burying your head in a pillow.

 

She sat next to you on the bed, stating her observations. “I mean think about it, campus heartthrob Kang Daniel who never had any scandal before and always treats his admirers as mere fans, suddenly tried so hard to get your attention. Even doing as much as saving you more than once in a span of two days.”

 

Doyeon’s statement made you pull your face away from the pillow. “Your point is?”

 

“I’d say he’s totally interested in you, if not head over heels.” She concluded. “Did you even properly thank him? He did prevent you from being demoted from junior photographer back to intern, or worse fired completely.”

 

“Now that’s just exaggerating.” You rejected the idea, denying all the obvious signs he was sending you even though you knew better.

 

“If I were you, I’d try to get to know him better. After all, we are the ones in charge of the exclusive interview with the boxing club.” Doyeon notified, resuming to look at her phone.

 

“Say what now?” You shouted, abruptly sitting up on the bed.

 

“Oh, didn’t I tell you? Daniel requested for you specifically. Dabin sunbae agreed only if you bring one more member of the team to help. And I volunteered.” She replied with a sing-a-song tone.

 

“Seriously?!”

 

And you’ve officially labeled today as an emotional treasure hunt slash roller coaster ride. Would you survive tomorrow?

 


Hmm... the bonus chapters turned out to be more than I expected. I hope you'll bear with me since I suddenly have a lot of ideas in mind.

A short update, cuz I'm breaking the bonus updates into parts.

Enjoy the latest update! I'm very thankful for all the subscribers and readers! Thanks for the upvotes as well <3

Don't forget to leave a comment! It makes my day~