3rd Charm (Final Chapter of Threeshot)

Third Time's a Charm

PART 3

An hour into the event, all it took was one picture in Instagram for the news of the appearance of the three star players to spread like a wildfire as more people started flooding in the convention hall.

You phone was also ringing off the hook and vibrating every few minutes as you were flooded with missed calls and texts from members of your publication team, urging you to get as many shots as possible because they’ve already decided to make that news as the cover story for next month’s issue.

That also meant you weren’t allowed to leave the event early. You guessed that your chief editor must’ve personally contacted Seongwu to keep you inside the hall until closing time as he won’t even let you go out for lunch break, taking all the trouble to bring you your lunch himself.

Obviously you weren’t in the mood to follow orders as you sneaked out when you heard a reliable news from Daniel’s admirers that he left early with his team for practice. After all, you’ve covered all the necessary news item, enough to fill the whole magazine column.

“There must be more! Spill everything now ____!” Your best friend, Doyeon demanded while shaking your shoulders.

You shrugged your shoulders, trying to shoo her away as you packed all the photography equipments neatly in their specific cabinets. She has been bugging you for the past hour to report every single detail about the convention –which mostly consisted of her questions on the members of the boxing club, Park Jihoon more specifically.

Lee Doyeon was the other female member of the publication team who won’t go wild at the mere sight of Kang Daniel, she had her eyes on another star player Park Jihoon instead.

“Ah! I should’ve been there!” she groaned, regretting that she had cancelled last minute. Doyeon was the junior reporter in charge to be your partner to cover the news report about the gaming convention.

Seeing how you’ve decided to become selectively mute that afternoon, she took it upon herself to find out what happened during the event. “Why do you have to take so many shots of Daniel? What about My Jihoon?!” Doyeon complained, scrolling through the display of your DSLR.

“Not my fault he photobombed more than half of my photos,” you finally decided to speak up while you were cleaning the camera lenses.

“Believe me, I was planning to delete them if it weren’t for Ong sunbae and our dear editor in chief nagging at me. She specifically wanted to review all the pictures herself tomorrow.” You added, mimicking the nagging tone they both used on you.

Doyeon noticed something amusing in your photos. “He’s looking straight into your camera. How did he know you were representing SNU?”

“He said he recognized me from the interview we did for the sports issue,” you answered, placing the lens carefully in its compartment.

“Omo, you talked to him?”

“I bumped into him earlier at a coffee shop.” You told her as flashes of the first time Daniel pretended to play your boyfriend came to mind.

“How was he in real life? I bet he’s handsome, but not as handsome as My Jihoon…” Doyeon sighed, shifting from the chair to sit on top of your desk.

“Won’t he feel creepy if he found out you called him ‘My Jihoon’?”

“Answer my question women!”

You sighed, knowing that your best friend will keep bugging you until you tell the truth. “Daniel is much better looking in person. He likes to smile a lot though. Won’t he get muscle cramps or something from smiling too much?”

“He smiled at you?!”

“Y-yah, I never said that!” you freaked out, getting flustered.

Doyeon raised her eyebrow at your reaction as she smirked knowingly, reading you like and open book. “So true. I can read it in your eyes. Looks like someone has an admirer~”

***

The sun was starting to set by the time you were finished tidying up your gears in the studio. You bid Doyeon goodbye as both of you split up in different directions to head home. It was rather empty and quiet on your way back home as it was the weekends. You fixed your camera bag more securely on your shoulder as you purposely walked under the streetlights, feeling unsettled at the empty streets.

From afar you spotted a group of men standing in the middle of the sidewalk smoking cigarettes. You would’ve taken a detour if this wasn’t the only road leading to your apartment. You didn’t want them to find out where you lived, but you had no choice.

You grasped tighter to the straps of your bag before speed-walking towards the group, hoping that you could escape in one piece. But of course, they had noticed you as one of them blocked your way by standing in front of you.

“Well hello, pretty… What brings you here on this beautiful night?” he asked deviously, eyeing you from top to toe.

“This looks expensive…” Another guy commented, running his hands on your camera bag.

“Excuse me, I need to pass through,” you tried to escape through the space between them.

He grabbed onto your arm before you could run away. “Remember me?”

It was then you realized he was the same guy with slick black hair that was trying to get your number at the coffee shop earlier that morning.

“Where’s your pretty boyfriend? Did he leave you?”

“I’ll scream.” You threatened, your heart was pumping loudly in your chest.

The guy smirked, he knew you were frightened as you stepped back to decrease your space between them. “Aww, do you think anyone can hear you honey?”

He gripped tighter on your arm. You tried to scream, but your body wasn’t receiving any instructions from your brain. You stood motionless, praying for a miracle as tears were starting to glisten your eyes.

“Dude, hands off,” A husky, masculine voice called out from behind you, getting the attention from the group.

You turned around to encounter a familiar face as you sighed, feeling slightly relieved. You exchanged a short eye contact with Kang Daniel –the man who you didn’t expect to meet again for the third time today, sending him a look that said ‘help me’. A small part of you wondered if he was actually following you around all day, but you quickly dismissed the thought when you scanned his appearance. He looked like he just came back from the gym wearing his training clothes with a duffle bag in one hand.

The guy with slick hairstyle whom you assumed as the leader or the group spoke, “Mind your own business.” He attempted to pull you with him.

“It is my business.” Daniel walked closer and took his position next to you. “That’s my girl’s wrist you’re holding on.” He spoke menacingly.

“What if I refuse?”

“I was hoping it didn’t have to end in a fist fight. Let’s just say, things are gonna get ugly,”

Anyone could sense his dauntless demeanor as he swung his duffle bag over his broad shoulders, his boxing gloves swinging into view. You knew better than to mess with Daniel, he didn’t get the nickname ‘Best Fighter’ in campus for nothing. It wasn’t because he was the biggest bully or loves to engage in a brawl like a gangster, but for his superb skills in the boxing ring from winning champion titles two years in a row.

Other than their leader, the rest of the group took a few steps back, feeling intimidated at the warning given by the boxing athlete. The leader scoffed at the threat, letting go of your arm as he rolled up his sleeves.

Daniel quickly pulled you behind him, safeguarding you in case threats do not work for these guys. You instinctively grabbed onto the hem of his training sweater for security.

You shrieked when the guy suddenly lunged at Daniel, throwing a punch. He skillfully dodged the attack and responded with a punch on the guy’s jaw and a kick in his stomach. The leader rolled on the floor from the impact of Daniel’s strong blow.

The rest of his group, scrambled to help their leader as he screamed and spat out blood in anger before retreating from the scene.

“________, are you ok? Did they hurt you?” Daniel turned his attention to you after he confirmed that the group was gone for good.

“Y-yeah, I’m f-fine…” You nodded frantically, hands trembling from shock at what you just witnessed.

He grabbed onto your shaking hands, trying to calm you down by instructing you to take deep breaths. “Sorry it got a little out of hand. I tried not to use violence.”

“I’ll send you home. And that’s not a proposal, so you can’t say no.” Daniel offered boldly as he pulled you to follow him after getting no response from you.

You both arrived in front of a motorcycle as you curiously watched him secure his duffle bag and your camera bag to the bike and put on his helmet. He handed you another helmet before sitting on the sports bike and turning on the engine.

“Get on.”

Daniel turned around to find you still standing with the helmet in your hands. He sighed, pulling you near him as he fastened the helmet for you. “You’re scared?” he asked as you shook your head.

“Don’t worry, I’m a licensed driver. Just hold on to me if you’re scared.” Daniel assured.

He tapped the backseat, offering his hand so that you could easily climb on. You hopped on the bike, holding the end of his jacket for support. But Daniel took you hands and wrapped your arms securely around his abdomen.

“Where do you live?” he asked, after making sure the engine has warmed up. You didn’t know what made you trust Daniel enough to disclose your home address to him, but he was the best option you have for the night.

You arrived safe and sound a few minutes later as Daniel parked right at the entrance of your apartment complex. He took off his helmet and realized that you still had your hands wrapped tightly around him and smiled a little.

“We’re here,” he announced as you slowly got off his bike.

“Do you always go home this late?” he asked, helping you to take off the helmet.

“Not really. I had to drop off the equipments used earlier.” You muttered softly.

“Next time you’re going back late, drop by the campus boxing gym first. I’ll send you back. It’s not safe for girls to walk around alone late in the evening.” He offered which sounded more like a command to you.

“Why are you helping me?” you asked, curious at his acts of chivalry towards you.

“Do I need a reason to help a girl in need?”

You had to admit, your heart sunk a little expecting a different kind of answer from him. But you guess he’s the kind of gentleman who would help any damsel in distress. You thanked him with a slight bow before turning your heels to head inside.

“How many times have I saved you by pretending to be your boyfriend today? Has it been three yet?” Daniel suddenly yelled out, catching your attention before you reached the entrance.

“You know, third time’s a charm,”

“Maybe I should consider being your boyfriend for real!” Daniel continued, not even waiting for your answer as he smiled and winked playfully at you.

“Remember I told you that if I save you for the third time you owe me a date?” he called out as you blushed, remembering what he said when he saved you for the second time. You didn’t know he was being serious.

“I’ll pick you up for dinner tomorrow?”

You gasped, not expecting him to ask you out for a date out of the blue. You heart was palpitating wildly in your chest as you tried to find words to say. Should you say YES or NO?

Daniel was left dumbfounded for the second time that day as you left him hanging without an answer. He couldn’t understand your actions. Were you playing hard to get?

He sighed in defeat as he put on his helmet to head back home. Then he noticed your camera bag still fastened to his bike.

“I guess I’ll get that date after all,” he smiled, thinking that they’ll be many more encounters with you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last part is up! Please leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

Thank you to all readers and subscribers! I hope you enjoyed the three-part oneshot!