4th Charm

Third Time's a Charm

A loud sharp sound resonated in the quiet room as the editor in chief closed the file she was reading with a smack. You flinched at the loud noise, anticipating that the file would be flying in your direction any second now as you prepared for the impact. Instead, another loud sound was heard. “You what?!” She roared.

 

You were pretty sure the rest of the publication team could clearly hear what was going on in the room as the usual noises from outside were suddenly muted. You bet some of them were now eavesdropping on this conversation curiously while leaning against the door. “You lost everything?!” Jung Dabin is the chief editor of SNU’s magazine, a dedicated and hard-working journalism student in her final year, and one of Kang Daniel’s admirers.

 

You grimaced at her ear-piercing voice. Surprisingly, she took the news much better than you’d expected. You were actually anticipating that she would literally flip tables at the revelation that you have lost your camera along with the memory cards that contains all the shots that you took from the gaming convention yesterday. “I’m pretty sure I’ve misplaced it. I’ve looked everywhere at home, but I have yet to search around the campus,” You stated the truth, waiting for another backlash from the senior.

 

“Never mind your camera. What about the memory cards? All the shots you took from yesterday’s event? Please tell me you made copies.” Dabin was now standing up as you took a step back, anticipating that she would be charging in your direction next.

 

“I didn’t…” You bit your lower lip while playing with the hem of your shirt. This time it was really your fault. “Many things happened to me yesterday and it was already very late when I came back. So, I… forgot,” In reality, you really did forget to do so. Maybe it wasn’t entirely fair for you to blame yourself, a big part of you wanted to blame Daniel for distracting your thoughts the whole night after he sent you back home.

 

“Maybe I should consider being your boyfriend for real!”

 

“I’ll pick you up for dinner tomorrow?”

 

These two statements from Daniel were disturbing your sleep last night, you couldn’t even think of anything else as these words kept ringing in your ear as a smile naturally formed on your lips. His smiles, those winks, was he being serious or was he always a flirt? You swore your heart fluttered when he said those words to you, but you couldn’t help but to be suspicious and doubt his real intention. After all, he has many other admirers –this girl now standing on front of you included.

 

“I specifically told you that I want to review the pictures today,” Dabin sounded very disappointed. It was no surprise that the editor in chief would be furious, but you wondered if she was angry because you lost an important news item or the fact that she couldn’t get the chance to review shots of the boxing star, Kang Daniel. “You do realize you’re in big trouble right now?”

 

You gulped and nodded, knowing very well what kind of trouble you were in right now. Losing an important news item could mean your position in the publication team is in jeopardy. “Do whatever you have to, but you only have until the end of the day to find the pictures.” Dabin dismissed you immediately after giving you a timed notice.

 

Closing the door behind you, you tried to breathe normally but failed miserably. You couldn’t shake off the tension as you were starting to feel light-headed. The silence in the publication office returned to it’s usual setting as everyone busied themselves back into their work when you noticed they were staring in your direction. “You ok?” Your best friend nudged, handing you a cup of instant coffee.

 

You snapped your head to look at her, holding her by the shoulders. “Doyeon, you have to help me!”

 

“Suuure…?” she hesitated, wondering what exactly happened inside the chief editor’s room.

 

“Where do I find Kang Daniel?”

 

****************************************

 

After recollecting your memories of yesterday’s series of events, you were left with the most likely –but unfavourable, option of your camera’s whereabouts. You were very certain that the camera bag was still slung around your shoulders when Daniel was rescuing you from the gang of men last night. On that account, there was only one place you could’ve accidentally left your bag; strapped to Daniel’s sports bike.

 

Not knowing how or where to look for the campus heartthrob, you resorted to asking your best friend –who is the most knowledgeable about all the star players from the boxing club, for help. Doyeon obviously made you reveal every single detail of yesterday’s incidents –as an excuse that she was merely helping you trace the whereabouts of the camera, after promising that she would keep it a secret.

 

Here you were, standing in front of the Business Faculty, having second thoughts on whether you were doing the right thing. You took a deep breath while staring at the large building in front of you. Your feet were rooted to the ground as you stared blankly at the large steps leading to the entrance. Doyeon sighed heavily, snapping her fingers in your face to wake you up from daze. “I’d love to see the drama unfolding, but I have a class in 10 minutes,” she said, glancing at her watch.

 

You grabbed her left arm, “No, no! Don’t leave me alone!”

 

“Sorry Jooyeon, you’re on your own,” Doyeon looked at you apologetically as she pried your hands off before you could squeeze her arms.

 

“But this building is huge! How do I find him?”

 

“Easy. Just follow his fans,” Doyeon stated, matter-of-factly. “See you at lunch!” she hollered before running off the opposite direction.

 

Ok, Jooyeon. You can do this. Why do I have to be nervous? You chanted inside your head while walking up the front steps towards the entrance. You found the building’s directory and immediately scanned for the Business sports department, deciding that you should start looking there.

 

Inside the elevator on your way to the second floor, you heard a group of girls talking as your ears perked up when they mentioned Daniel’s name. You guessed that they are freshmen from their bright and naïve expressions. You pretended to play with your phone while leaning in closer to listen in on their conversation. “Are you sure we came at the right time?” A girl with short bob hair chirped, fixing her appearance while looking at her reflection in a handheld mirror.

 

“Yeah, last time we had to wait for two hours for Daniel sunbae. We didn’t even get to talk to him because he has to rush for practice.” Her friend complained.

 

The tallest one in the group checked her watch while balancing the takeaway coffee in her other hand, “I double-checked his class schedules. This time I’m definitely right.” Turned out Doyeon was right after all, these girls could lead you straight to where Kang Daniel is at the moment. You followed them from a safe distance when they got out on the second floor. You trailed behind them until they reached a lecture hall and decided to hide behind a wall to wait.

 

A few minutes later you heard a cheerful squeal from the girls, they have discovered their target as you poked your head from behind the wall. Daniel stepped out of the lecture hall, taken aback at the sudden unexpected greeting but still giving them a polite smile. “Daniel sunbae, I brought you coffee!” The tallest one handed the coffee she was holding.

 

Another girl held out a book and a pen, smiling brightly at him. “Can I have your autograph sunbae?”

 

“Oppa! I mean, sunbae! We saw you at the gaming convention yesterday. You were so cool!”

 

The sight before you further confirmed Kang Daniel’s popularity in the campus. Staring at them in awe, you never knew that his admirers –or should you say fans, treated him like a celebrity, asking him for autographs and offering food and drinks. A part of you were actually relieved that his fans still kept their boundaries and treated him with respect.

 

You watched in admiration as Daniel tried his best to interact with his fans, talking sweetly to them. It’s really amazing to see how much people adore and love him. Feeling overwhelmed seeing all the love he’s receiving, you couldn’t imagine how he might feel. He has an adorable habit of rubbing the nape of his neck and giggling whenever he was feeling shy from the constant praises the girls were showering him. His cute shy smile was now added to the list of his attractive characteristics. You thought that he would already be used to all the attention but in reality, he seemed like a genuine and humble guy next door.

 

“Jooyeon? Fancy seeing you here,” Seongwu greeted from behind, making you jolt in surprise.

 

You clutched a hand to your chest, “Ong sunbae! You scared me!”

 

Seongwu was also peeking from behind the wall, looking at the same direction as you. You wondered how long has he been there. “Looking for our Golden Boy?”

 

“Golden Boy?” You raised an eyebrow.

 

“Duh, Daniel. Are you looking for him?” he asked.

 

“No.” You quickly replied, facing him and changing the topic. “Sunbae, you don’t happen to see my camera bag anywhere?”

 

Seongwu shook his head, but immediately recalled something. “Since we’re in this subject, why did you disappear without telling me yesterday? You didn’t stay until the end.” He crossed his arms before him, raising one eyebrow in your direction.

 

“There was no need for me to stay. I’ve got all the news items that I need anyways.” You retorted.

 

“You could’ve at least told me you were leaving! I had to endure Dabin’s lecture for half an hour! My ears are melting!” Seongwu cried out dramatically, whining while showing you his ears.

 

You rolled your eyes, he was definitely exaggerating. “They look fine to me.” You pushed his face away in disgust when he forced you to look into his ears. “Well, I’m in big trouble with Dabin sunbae today,”

 

“What happened?” he asked.

 

“I lost my camera along with all the memory cards,” you briefly explained, purposely leaving out the details. What Seongwu went through was nothing compared to what you’ll be experiencing if you failed to find the camera.

 

“Have you looked at home?” You nodded. “You’ve never been in trouble with her before. But I can’t guarantee that she won’t let you off that easily,” he warned, knowing your editor in chief all too well.

 

“I only have by the end of the day to find it. My position in the publication team is at risk,” you justified, giving him a pleading look.

 

“I’ll call you right away if I see it. I’m pretty sure it should be around campus,” he patted you shoulder in assurance, before waving off a goodbye. You turned your attention back to Daniel’s little fanmeet. You didn’t have much time left to hang around, so you had to approach him. It’s now or never.

 

“Hey, Jooyeon.” Daniel noticed you first before you could say hello. He was quite surprised but pleased to see you. The group of girls also turned their attention towards you as they looked back and forth between you and Daniel. Both of you exchanged awkward glances, waiting for each other to speak. You obviously couldn’t start the conversation first, feeling self-conscious at the stares from his admirers.

 

He detected your uneasiness and chose to dismiss the girls, “I have to leave now. Thanks for the coffee.” He waved them off nicely. The girls complied, waving frantically and giggling while disappearing around the corner. He turned his attention back to you as you stared at him, impressed at his fanservice.

 

“So…”

 

“So…” You both spoke at the same time.

 

He laughed, making his eyes crinkle into a cute eye-smile. “You first.”

 

“Wow, you’re practically a celebrity.” You pointed out.

 

His rubbed the back of his neck again, feeling embarrassed as he turned into a cute puppy. Where did the boxing champion, King Daniel go? You didn’t expect to see an adorable side to him. “I guess they admire my hardwork. That’s all.” He replied, being modest. “Want some coffee?” he offered, remembering your first meeting at the coffee shop yesterday.

 

“No, thanks.” You politely refused with a smile.

 

“Why are you here? Have you thought about my offer last night?” He beamed excitedly, waiting for your answer.

 

A faint blush crept up your cheeks, forgetting all about the fact that he asked you out on a date last night. “N-no, actually I’m looking for my camera,” you corrected, not wanting to give him the wrong impression.

 

“Oh, I thought… nevermind,” he shrugged off the thought, looking dejected.

 

“Have you seen my camera anywhere? I swore I still had it with me when you gave me a ride home,” you were looking at him desperately.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t see it.” he lied, in his defense it was a white lie.

 

It was your turn to look crestfallen, he was your last hope. If Daniel didn’t know where your camera was, you’re as good as dead when you get back to the office later. Many thoughts were running through your mind right then as your heart started to beat faster due to nervousness. “Where could it be? I’ve looked everywhere!” you spoke to yourself out loud. “If you find my camera bag, please give it to Seongwu sunbae immediately. I desperately need it by today,” you notified and excused yourself to go to class.

 

“Why did I lie to her?” Daniel questioned himself.

 

*****************************************

 

“I’m doomed! I’m doomed!” You cried out repeatedly, banging your head at the cafeteria table. Your peculiar behaviour was starting to get the attention of the students sitting at the tables near you as Doyeon cursed under her breath, feeling ashamed at her best friend’s actions.

 

“She failed her quiz,” Doyeon explained, giving them an awkward smile. Her lame excuse managed to get them to ignore you. “Yah, Jooyeon! You better stop now before people start calling us crazy!” she poked you with her chopsticks.

 

You looked up, pouting. “Daniel doesn’t have it either. I can’t think of anywhere else to look!” you cried out again. Your best friend shoved a sandwich inside your mouth in an attempt to shut you up. This time, thankfully the students in the surrounding tables decided to turn a deaf ear.

 

“On the bright side, you get to talk to Daniel!” she tried to distract your thoughts.

 

As much as you appreciated the short interaction with Daniel where you could see his cute puppy-like charms, you had more important matters in hand. “That’s not important right now.”

 

“Do you have any contacts of photographers from other teams? You could ask for their favours to give you some shots they took,” Doyeon suggested, munching on her own lunch.

 

“No.” you replied with your mouth full. “Even if I do, I still have a pride as a photographer. That’s pretty much plagiarizing on other’s hard work.” No matter how desperate you were, you’d never resort into such tactics.

 

“Well then, the best thing you could do now is pray.” Doyeon sighed, feeding you another mouthful of sandwich.

 

********************************************

 

Meanwhile, Seongwu was trying his best to keep on a lookout for your camera. He was walking with Daniel to their lockers when he spotted something familiar in his best friend’s locker. “Wait, this looks like Jooyeon’s camera!” he pointed out, grabbing it to be examined.

 

“It is,” Daniel nodded, taking out a few books from his bag.

 

Seongwu was feeling suspicious at how calm he was reacting, “Where did you find it?”

 

“She forgot and left it on my bike when I dropped her home last night,” he clarified, taking the camera bag away from Seongwu.

 

“She did what? W-wait… y-you did what?! Omo, are you two already dating?! That was fast…” he sounded very excited, wriggling his eyebrows knowingly at the star athlete.

 

“No, asking her out for dinner is a difficult mission in itself, I could only dream that we are dating,” Daniel sighed, staring at your name sewn to the bag.

 

“So, you’re really serious about this?” Seongwu asked, amazed that someone has finally able to attract the attention of his best friend, the campus heartthrob. Daniel always acted nonchalant around his admirers, he treated them nicely but not more than as fans.

 

Daniel didn’t mean to brag, but you were the first girl who played hard to get around him. It made him more intrigued to get to know you better, “She’s different and that’s interesting.”

 

“Well, it’s going to be harder for Jooyeon to agree on a date with you if she finds out that you have her camera all this while,” Seongwu pointed out the fact, knowing you very well. “Let me give this back to her.”

 

Daniel pulled his hands away, preventing Seongwu from taking the camera. “I want to give it back to her myself. I was thinking of using it as a way to make her agree to go out on a date with me.”

 

“Dude, that’s blackmailing,” Seongwu gasped, before rubbing his chin mischievously. “Although… it might actually work.”

 

“Exactly my point.”

 

“Anyways, she’s in big trouble right now. If she couldn’t find this camera by today, there’s a high risk she might be losing her position in the publication team. They were pretty furious that she lost all of the scoop from yesterday’s event,” Seongwu explained, reminding him not to delay his plan any longer to avoid risking your career.

 

“R-really? I didn’t know…”

********************************************

 

“Where is Lee Jooyeon?” Dabin shouted, her voice boomed across the whole room like a thunder. Some of the staffs actually covered their ears, knowing very well that thunderstorms will ensue next.

 

You stood up from your seat, poking your head out of your cubicle little by little while rubbing one side of your arm to calm the goosebumps forming. Dabin walked near you, her hands folded in front of her while staring at you like she was about to eat you up. “So, any updates?” The editor in chief spoke, through gritted teeth. You knew she was starting to lose her patience.

 

“I… um… well, I couldn’t find it.” you stuttered.

 

Dabin rubbed her temples exasperatedly as the whole staffs were watching the scene with bated breath. “Publications from other universities have already posted numerous updates on yesterday’s events on their portal site. Yet, as the university that organizes the event, we haven’t uploaded even a single picture to our site.” She lectured, her tone was serious.

 

You were tongue tied, not knowing how to respond as you felt responsible for putting the reputation of your university’s publication on the line. Dabin continued her lecture, making you feel more guilty. “There were more updates in social media from the attendees who went to the event. The higher-ups, especially the university’s admin are demanding for the official pictures from us.”

 

“I’m sorry… I-” You couldn’t even finish your sentence when she cut you mid-sentence.

 

“We have a lot of work ahead of us in the coming weeks, and your slip-up is delaying the progress of the whole team.” Dabin spoke, dissatisfied. “I’m sorry Jooeyon, but I’ve never been this disappointed in you,” she placed a hand on your shoulder. She tried to be diplomatic, knowing how hardworking you are, but she has to make a decision.

 

“Maybe, I should take back your position as our junior photographer.”

 

“W-wait, no! Please give me a chance, I’ve never made a mistake before!” You pleaded, tears were glistening your eyes.

 

Before Dabin could make the final decision, she was interrupted by the loud gasps and squeals coming from the staffs as a figure stepped into their office. Her eyes widened, staring agape at the person approaching from behind you. “K-Kang Daniel? What brings you here to our publication team?” The chief editor, Dabin greeted the unexpected guest with a bow, the sudden excitement apparent in her expression.

 

You quickly snapped your head back at the familiar name to see Daniel giving you a friendly smile, that you were sure everyone noticed. “Well, I heard you guys are looking for this?” He held up a memory card in between his fingers. You immediately recognized that it belonged to you.

 

Please please please, don’t pretend that you’re my boyfriend again…. You were crossing your fingers, you could never imagine what was in Daniel’s mind right then when he gave you that wink. He has saved you three times before with his ‘unique’ and peculiar tactic and you wished he wouldn’t do the same now.

 

“I want to make a deal.” Daniel started to speak. “Give Miss Lee Jooyeon back her position as the photographer and I’ll give you back this memory card and an exclusive interview with me and the rest of my boxing team regarding yesterday’s event.” He spoke authoritatively with his manly voice. You were pretty sure Dabin’s legs turned into jelly seeing the manly side of the person she admired. Even you had to admit your heart skipped a beat when he turned to look at you and gave a knowing smirk. You should really start calling him your hero, seeing that he never failed to save you from trouble more than you could ever imagined.

 

All of a sudden, another thought came to mind. If he has your memory card, where is your camera?

 


I apologise for taking so long to update this chapter. I had a sudden urgent matters to settle.

I was also supposed to update earlier today but it's very hard to find a nice picture of Daniel (cuz all of them are nice XP)

I hope you enjoy! Tell me what you think!

#HappyDanielDay! (Too late I know T_T)

I have biases from other groups as well, but Kang Daniel is the first idol that has ever affected me this much. He's showing his charms from all aspects: talents, looks, personality, behaviour, etc. His beautiful smile is what attracted me first, it always managed to help me de-stress and get through my short (but highly stressful) working term just by looking at that beautifully shaped smile and eye-smile of his. But his hard-working side without complaining, inspired me to work hard as well. 

I'm happy and proud of what he achieved so far and will keep supporting his future!

p/s: I'm bad at birthday wishes XP