1st Charm

Third Time's a Charm

Yes, this is a one-shot. I'm splitting it up into 3 parts because I would be easier for you guys to read it, the full oneshot is pretty long. The rest of the parts will hopefully be up by today as well. In the meantime, enjoy PART 1!

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

PART 1

“Crap!” You yelped from the door while slipping on your shoes.

It was a weekend morning which explained why you were running late to an important event as you forgot to set an alarm before you went to sleep last night. As an official photographer for Seoul National University’s (SNU) publication team, you are in charge of covering events related to the university’s activities.

Yesterday, your editor in chief gave you a last minute notice before you left the office late in the evening to cover SNU’s first ever Gaming Convention. You dreaded weekend assignments, but as a junior photographer in the team, you are obliged to accept all kinds of assignments thrown at you to gain as much experience as possible in the field.

“Yes sunbae (senior)! I’ll be there asap!” You yelled into the phone, picking up an urgent call from your senior while slinging the camera bag over your shoulder after making sure you packed an external battery and extra memory cards inside.

***

“Gosh, today is so not my day,” You groaned, trying your best to balance the heavy photography equipment, courtesy of your senior photographers.

You regretted stopping by the photography studio before heading to the event because your seniors decided that you bring along all photography equipments necessary, even after you tried to convince them that you’ll be fine with only your trusty DSLR and extra memory cards. They packed you an extra lens, an external flash and a tripod –that you persuaded them to trade with the unnecessary collapsible reflectors, plus you pretty much need the tripod to help with your slightly above average height. To make matters worse you’ll be covering the event alone, because the junior reporter in charge to be your partner had to cancel last minute due to personal commitments.

So, here you are in line at a coffee shop to get your daily dose of caffeine before heading to the convention while lugging the heavy –not to mention expensive camera gears, wishing you could grow an extra limb.

You wobbled to one side while trying to fix your bag strap, almost knocking over someone else in the queue with the tripod if not for the hand around your waist holding you in place.

“Steady now, we don’t want you hurting others or yourself.” A masculine voice spoke up, making you look up to your rescuer. “You alright miss?”

“Thanks,” You gave a quick nod to the tall male, he looked quite familiar.

“Ladies first,” he flashed a smile, letting you stand in line before him.

You were almost reaching your turn at the cashier when you felt someone’s stares, bearing a hole at the back of your head and you decided to turn around.

The tall male earlier was staring at you, still wearing that boyish smile of his. “Do I know you?” he asked.

“No,”

“Funny. I think we’ve met before,”

You just gave a confused smile before proceeding to order you coffee. You could sense that his gaze was still fixed on you, it wasn’t the creepy kind of gaze but rather a curious one as he tried his best to recall where you two have met before.

You heard him snap his fingers. “Right! You’re the photographer for SNU’s magazine! Remember me? We’ve met when you came to interview our boxing club to feature in the magazine!” his face brightened up in recognition.

Boxing club? You tried to rake your memory of any assignments that involved the SNU’s boxing club, it took a while as you’ve taken pictures of almost all the sports club in campus for the magazine’s special sports month issue. “Yeah, of course…” you recalled, feeling awkward.

How could you have forgotten the handsome face of SNU’s star player from the boxing club, who also happens to be the campus’s heartthrob anyways?

Kang Daniel, who majors in Business Sports at SNU, was very popular on campus as an athlete which also gained him his popularity among the students –especially the ladies as his good looks and perfect physique excites immature romantic feelings among the female students.

Daniel was also extremely talented athletically, having won first place in the National University Boxing Competition two years ago, a first victory for SNU’s boxing club. He managed to win the trophy in the first year the boxing club was created, beating the boxers of Korea University and Yonsei University in a row, creating a reputation for the boxing club and himself.

He won the competition even though the supporters were all against him, as many other university students were cheering for the opponent while he only had his boxing club members to cheer him on –the club was rather unknown before the win. He was considered the boxing club’s savior, because he was able to prevent the club from being terminated and at the same time generating so much interest that the boxing club was now regarded as one of the most popular clubs in SNU.

As for you, you’ve only met him once when your publication team was assigned to write about the boxing club being zero to hero as a cover story. You confessed that you find Kang Daniel attractive when you first laid eyes on him, but you didn’t give it much thought as most of your publication team –your editor in chief included– were fan-girling and going wild over his good-looks.

Your senior photographer had to entrust you with the task of editing the pictorial as to avoid any of your other female team members from stealing any shots of Kang Daniel –some of them were even planning to sell them as merchandises. You wondered if they even knew or were interested of his charming personality, as he was very humble despite the sudden popularity and attention many were giving him.

You couldn’t help but to feel self-conscious at the undivided attention he was currently giving you. “Bet you wish you could grow an extra hand right? Here let me,” he offered, taking one of your equipment from your hands.

“Don’t worry I’m not going to run away with this. I don’t even know what it does,” you somehow didn’t protest –you needed the helping hand anyways, as he already slung the strap over his broad shoulder. “I’ll guard these with my life. They must be pretty expensive.”

“They’re not mine.” You corrected, thanking him with a short bow. You wondered why he was being kind, aside from the short encounter for the interview, you were practically strangers. “They belong to the campus’s photography studio.”

You both fell into another awkward silence as Daniel ordered his coffee and you were waiting for yours. “I have to thank you,” he started, making you raise your left eyebrow. “The magazine’s cover story helped us recruit a lot of new members.”

“I’m pretty sure you guys were already well-known when you won the championship. Besides, it’s part of our job to publish stories like yours.” You quickly replied, flustered at his gratitude.

“Give credit to yourself, don’t you know how many people read the story? Myself included,”

“T-thanks?”

“I especially liked how you edited the pictures. It made us look cooler,” he added more compliments.

“If I didn’t do it, we might end up with only pictures of you for the cover. The whole publication team adores you,” you chuckled to yourself, remembering how the girls –who weren’t even part of the photography team, offered to help you edit the pictorial.

Daniel grew shy as he scratched the back of his head, a side of him you’ve never seen before. One would think that he’s used to all the attention girls were giving him. “You too?” he asked.

“I’m pretty much the only one who can function properly and finish the article before the deadline, instead of gushing at every one of your pictures.” You unconsciously blurted out your thoughts.

Daniel seemed a little disappointed when he heard that. “I m-mean… it’s not that I don’t find you attractive, you are very good-looking and charming but I’m very focused and serious when I do my work, so that’s why…. I better stop talking now…” You bit your lip, feeling embarrassed that you’ve spoken out your thoughts about him too loudly.

Daniel had an amused smirk on his face as he placed his hands in his front jeans pockets, feeling proud. Thank goodness your coffee was done in time as you quickly grabbed it and walked away to find a seat, preferably away from his sight.

***

You were literally fanning yourself to calm down, but it wasn’t helping that you decided to get a hot brew that morning. You were suddenly interrupted when someone tapped your shoulder. “Excuse me, may I take this seat?” A male with a slick hairstyle asked.

You looked around the café, there were many other empty seats. “Uhm… I’m with someone. He’ll be coming soon,” you gave an excuse.

“While you’re waiting for him, let me accompany you.” He invited himself to sit across you before you could reply.

“No thanks. He’ll be here in a few minutes.”

“Who’s he? Not your boyfriend I hope,” the man scanned the café, trying to see if you’re looking at anyone in particular.

“Actually, I am waiting for my boyfriend,” You stated confidently while pretending to check the messages in your phone. You had to use the ‘boyfriend’ card as you sensed that the guy was trying to flirt with you and you’re not the least bit interested.

Standing by the counter waiting for his coffee, Kang Daniel was staring intently at the amusing scene in front of him. A smirk made its way on his handsome face as he watched you reject the flirty advances of the guy, who clearly cannot read that you do not have the slightest interest to even look at him in eyes.

Daniel is not the type to stick his nose in other people’s business, but seeing you tell the guy to back off because you already have a boyfriend, aroused his curiosity to continue eavesdropping in the conversation. He snickered, while staring at the useless attempt from the guy asking for your number, only to have you reject him again.

His face suddenly turned serious when the person insisted again, even after you refused and tried to ignore him. On cue, Daniel grabbed his iced Americano and strode towards you when he saw your troubled expression as the guy placed his hand on your right shoulder.

“Baby, you sure you don’t want anything for brunch?” Daniel asked, taking a seat next to you.

You were literally frozen from the close contact as he addressed you with a pet name commonly heard for whom one is having a romantic relationship with.

The man frowned at Daniel when he heard the form of endearment used to call you, but continued talking. “Maybe phone numbers are too personal. How about your Kakaotalk or email instead?” The guy insisted, naming every option possible to keep in contact with you.

“If you clearly cannot see, I am her boyfriend and she is definitely not interested in you. Just back off.” Daniel snapped angrily.

Seeing how you didn’t disapprove of Daniel’s confession, the man left not before glaring at your ‘boyfriend’ who was casually putting his arm around your shoulder. Daniel stole a glance at you, sending a mischievous wink.

You woke up from a daze when your phone rang loudly. “Y-yes? I’ll be there,” you stood up, carrying all your bags with you. “Excuse me, I have to leave now.” You motioned Daniel to move away.

“Don’t I get a thank you?”

He was left hanging as you disappeared out the door. Daniel saw something shiny on your the seat as he picked it up. It was your special media pass for the gaming convention. “Lee _______.” He read your name out loud.

“She forgot this too,” he looked at the tripod in his hands.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please leave a comment! PART 2 will be up soon!