The New Girl

TWICE INC.

"Wait!!" Tzuyu shouted to a middle-aged woman inside the elevator just when the elevator was about to shut. Tzuyu ran with all her might and the woman was kind enough to hold the elevator door, letting Tzuyu enter the elevator. 

"Thanks....," Tzuyu said while breathing very fast, the woman just smile and nodded. Tzuyu noticed that the woman would go to the 23rd floor, the exact same floor of her's destination. Tzuyu gathered her courage then asked, "I'm sorry miss, but are you working for Jong-Soo Textile?"

"Oh, no I am not, but I worked on the same floor as them," answered the woman politely.

"Oh... I see," Tzuyu nodded and remain silent for the rest of the elevator trip. She was so nervous on how this office will treat her. The thought about killer boss and toxic co-workers seemed to worried her the most. She didn't want her first working experience to be a horrible experience as she still need to finish her college. The elevator kept going up with no more people entering it. 12, 13, 14, 15, 16... when the floor's number kept rising, she got much more nervous. Too many questions she asked to herself such as, Am I going to be okay? Will they be happy to have me? Will I be useful there? and many more she even forget half of it.

DING! The elevator finally arrived on 23rd floor, and the woman in front of her casually walked out as if it had been her everyday life. Tzuyu timidly followed her, she was in a corridor with blue carpet below and there was a T-junction ahead of her. The woman turned left and there was a door in the end of the corridor. Hearing Tzuyu's steps, the woman looked back and laughed. "Your office is there," pointing the opposite direction from where she was going, "we got different office, remember?"

Tzuyu forced her awkward laugh and apologized (again) to the woman, then walked very slowly to where she was supposed to be. She was right in front of the door, but before she went inside, she looked at her watch to see that it was 09:32 AM. Didn't want to waste more time, she took a deep breath and opened the door in front of her confidently.

Right after she entered, she saw three cubicles on the far right side of the room, each cubicles consisted of two desks full with office equipment such as computer set, paper, stationary, etc. On her far left there was another two more cubicles and a door which seemed to be a door for the meeting room. On her near left, there was a small room, but she couldn't see it clearly from where she stood. Meanwhile, exactly on the right side on where she stood, there was a receptionist table and the person behind the desk seemed to be busy because she did not noticed her at all. Right at the end of the room, there was a room and she immidiately knew it was the manager's room because of the sign right at the door.

"Sana you're late again and this time I will not cover for you!" the receptionist said to her and confusing her at the same time.

"What are you talking about? I arrived here before you do!" shouted someone from one of the cubicle on the right.

"Wait... what?!" the receptionist seemed confused and finally saw turned her head to Tzuyu. "AAAAH I'M SORRY I THOUGHT IT WAS HER," panickly said the receptionist, "you must be the new intern girl right?" asked the receptionist.

"Uhhhmm... yes I am ma'am" Tzuyu answered politely.

"Oh I see, okay wait a second, and don't ever call me ma'am again," said the receptionist while calling someone from her phone. "Yes, she's here," the receptionist talked to the telephone, "Okay, I'll send her to you," the receptionist end her phone call. "You can go to cubicle on the left at the very end, you'll meet Mrs.Yoo there, and she will tell where you'll have your desk," explained the receptionist.

"Okay, thanks ma.... I mean miss," Tzuyu almost had her tongue slipped. She walked quickly to where the receptionist told her to and while she was walking, she ignored everything on her left and right, maintaining her focus to where she was supposed to  go. When she arrived, she met a woman there with a short hair and a beautiful face. 

"Oh! You must be Tzuyu!" said the woman while standing up and shook Tzuyu's hand. "My name is Yoo Jeongyeon, I am the staff of human resources on this company," said Jeongyeon with a bright smile. "Please sit down while you sign your contract and hear me explaining the rules," said Jeongyeon while looking for the contract on her desk.

Tzuyu sat down and signed her contract to wherever Jeongyeon told her to while listening (not really) to Jeongyeon's lecture about the office rules. After the contract signing and Jeongyeon's lecture, Tzuyu was taken to take a tour around the office. First, she introduced her to every person there and each people just have a sort of different reaction. Jungwon, the IT guy, who seemed to be a total geek because there were so many posters and action figures of american comics characters inside his working space. Park Yongjun, the manager's second in command who seemed very strict about rules, he even said "I'll know when you're breaking the rules," with a very wide grin while shaking Tzuyu's hand, giving her a total goosebumps. The Jeongyeon went to the opposite side of the cubicle, and Tzuyu first met with Myoui Mina, who seemed nice, but very busy with her work. Next, she met with Son Chaeyoung who surprisingly the same age as her but already finished her college and got a job here, as the opposite of Mina, Chaeyoung seemed to be very relaxed when clearly there was so many work for her to finish from the amount of papers next to her, she even tried to joke around by saying "Oh hi! I'm Chaeyoung! I'm the junior staff of the accounting division and if you need me of something, just tell me okay? You can 'count' on me!" As expected, nobody laughed even Jeongyeon immediately pulled Tzuyu away from her. Then Jeongyeon went to the next cubicle and introduced Minatozaki Sana, the girl who shouted earlier, she seemed very hyperactive but very nice, she held Tzuyu's hand for a long time while talking about unrelated stuff, but thanks to Jeongyeon, Tzuyu could escape. The next person was Hirai Momo, who seemed pretty happy with Tzuyu's presence and politely asked for her cooperation, Tzuyu also felt she had seen her somewhere before and that her face was somewhat familiar. The next and last cubicle, Tzuyu was introduced to Kim Dahyun, who seemed very excited with Tzuyu's presence and Tzuyu was a bit reminded of Sana when she saw Dahyun because both of them seemed to talked a lot and she completely understood why they were in a different cubicle. Before Jeongyeon went to the next person, she told Tzuyu that the empty desk inside Dahyun's cubicle was her desk. Im Nayeon, the receptionist, who already stood even when Tzuyu was far from her spot, was seemed to eager to be properly introduced by Jeongyeon. However, Jeongyeon jokingly introduced her very shortly then left already, Nayeon was still shouting at Jeongyeon while she was walking away and her only response was a loud laugh.

Now Tzuyu and Jeongyeon went to the manager's room to meet their manager. KNOCK KNOCK! the door sounds when Jeongyeon knocked it a bit hard. "Come in!" sound someone from inside the office. Both Tzuyu and Jeongyeon entered the room and inside the room, Tzuyu saw the manager was already standing, greeting them politely. After a brief introduction from her new manager, Park Jihyo, Tzuyu saw Jeongyeon left the room.

"Okay, so let me tell something before you start working here," Jihyo said

"Umm.. but I'm not working here... it's just temporary for my internship assignment..." Tzuyu replied

There was an awkwar silence for a moment there.

"Yes... That was what I'm trying to say. Look, the point is that I hope you enjoy working here, its not often we get someone who wanted to work here." Jihyo said after the silence

"Yeah...." Tzuyu nodded with hesitation. She realised that the only reason why she got the internship job here was because the rest of the companies she applied didn't accept her and that was because most of the companies was big companies.

"Okay, before you left, I just want to tell you that you just need to ignore Yongjun, I mean take the knowledge from him, but if he talked other than that, just ignore." Jihyo warned.

"Okay.... but why is it?" Tzuyu asked curiously.

"Trust me, you don't want to know." Jihyo sighed

"But I want to." Tzuyu asked persistently

"Sigh... Okay, that guy is crazy with rules and so strict, everyday I got a recommendation letter from him to fire literally everyone here just because they simply talk about unrelated thing during work hours, then when a person work was slightly below target, and even he tried to fire Dahyun because she lost one of his pencils. Jihyo shook her head and frowned.

Tzuyu didn't answer, she just sat there wondering with opened widely. After that, Jihyo allowed Tzuyu to go to her desk and start working for the first time. Tzuyu moved to her desk and tried to start working immediately. Jihyo gave her one third of Mina's work, or the easy part of Mina's work (according to Jihyo) but it seems that Tzuyu still struggled with this because she still not familiar yet with the application on this office.

It was already 3 hours, Tzuyu had not finished her work which was given from Jihyo earlier. Dahyun turned her chair and facing Tzuyu, she offered whether Tzuyu wanted to eat lunch together or not. Without any hesitation, she accepted and stood from her desk. On the way to the cafetaria below, Dahyun asked Tzuyu a lot of questions and every answer Tzuyu gave seemed to make her excited.

Tzuyu told Dahyun her story, on how she got here from Taiwan, how she got the scholarship and whether she would continue working in Korea or back to Taiwan. Dahyun responded with nods (lots of them), and smiles. Dahyun then asked Tzuyu how was her first impression on working here and Tzuyu just answered that it was nice and she liked it. When they were arrived at the cafetaria, it was full of people and they could barely saw the food stands. After finally able to order the food, now both of them needed to find a seat for them to eat the food. Luckily, they saw Sana and Nayeon waved their hands to them and told Tzuyu and Dahyun to sit with them.

Tzuyu and Dahyun finally able to sit and ate their food thanks to Sana and Nayeon. The four of them then talked about many things, such as music, movies, and even Tzuyu needed to re-tell her stories once again to Sana and Nayeon who hadn't know before. Tzuyu seemed to enjoy her conversation with the unnies as all of them seemed to be easy going and open minded people. Nobody realised that it was already 1:18 PM until Dahyun pointed out that it was already past lunch break. Nayeon and Sana seemed to be relaxed and didn't take it seriously even though they were also walked back to the office, but with slower pace.

Once Tzuyu and Dahyun reached the office, gasping, Yongjun was actually waited for them right after they opened the door.

"You're late for 23 minutes Dahyun and you, the new girl, do not think that because you are new you could break the rules as you please." Yongjun warned them

Tzuyu apologized but Dahyun didn't even listened to him as she went straight to her desk, Tzuyu followed her as they were having same cubicle.

"Unnie, where are Nayeon and Sana unnie?" Tzuyu asked right after she seated on her chair.

"Oh, I think you will like this, just see Yongjun and wait until Nayeon and Sana came inside the room," Dahyun grinned, "anyway I was panicked not because of that guy, I still got plenty of works to do since I was sleeping for an hour before the break," she added.

Just after a few seconds, Nayeon entered the room and she also got lectured by Yongjun right after she entered, but just like Dahyun, she ignored him and walked to the receptionist desk and started working. Yongjun followed her to her desk while still lecturing her but Nayeon seemed to be still ignoring  every single word he said. Then Sana entered. Yongjun then looked at Sana, and started lectured her, but surprisingly, with a very very soft tone.

"Sana-ya, I told you please don't be late again, I even told Jihyo-nim that today's lunch break time was extended to 20 minutes and you late for about 4 minutes," Yongjun said very softly.

"Aaah, that was very kind of you, thanks!" Sana replied while walked casually to her desk.

Just when Yongjun was about to back to his desk, Mina entered the room. Yongjun suddenly back to his normal self and started lecturing Mina. Mina didn't seem to ignore him and instead was standing there looking at him with sharp looks. Just after Yongjun stopped his lecture, Mina sharply said "I was from the bathroom, I even skipped my lunchbreak for work!"

Yongjun looked shocked and wasn't able to reply to Mina. Then Mina angrily walked back to her desk. That was a whole new experience for Tzuyu, she didn't even realised that she was smiling with wide open. When Yongjun suddenly stared at her, she looked at her monitor and pretended to work. On her back, she could hear Dahyun giggling quietly.

It was now 05:00 PM, everyone was getting ready to get home, Tzuyu finally able to help Mina with her work and Mina deeply thanked Tzuyu, and because of that Mina's work was able to be finished before the deadline. On the other hand, Dahyun seemed to still struggling with her work and asked Tzuyu's help for the next day so that she also could finish the work and got some bonus (Dahyun clearly stated it). Tzuyu didn't seem to have much choice so she accepted it. Just after she accepted it, Chaeyoung came to her to ask for help, but Dahyun said to wait for the queue, and yes, on the day after tomorrow half of the Chaeyoung's work will be given to Tzuyu. Nayeon even jokingly said that if only she wasn't a receptionist, she would ask Tzuyu to do her work.

Tzuyu quietly took her coat and went outside the office to go home. She thought of what she had done that day as people tried to give her their workload. Tzuyu then realised that she was the last one to exit the office and she went to the elevator straight away. When Tzuyu saw the elevator, it was about to close and she saw Momo was inside the elevator. She ran to the elevator and shouted to Momo so that the door would not be closed. Momo seemed to noticed her and quickly pressed the button to kept the door opened with a very panic expression on her face. Despite all the efforts, the elevator door was closed and Tzuyu needed to wait for another 4 minutes for the next elevator to come. 

When she arrived on the bottom floor, she saw Momo waiting for her and for more surprise, she even apologized to Tzuyu because earlier what she pressed was the close button instead of the open button. Tzuyu just laughed and said not to worry about that because it was all very sudden. Then Momo asked where she was heading, to another surprise, the area which Momo lived was actually very near to Tzuyu's apartment, they were actually lived next to each other. Momo then said that the reason she was quiet all day was because she thought she had seen Tzuyu somewhere before but she couldn't remember until few seconds ago. After the short conversation, they went home and before they went to their respective apartment, they ate on a restaurant near the area which both Momo and Tzuyu often visit.

That day was a very tiring day for Tzuyu, but despite all of the tiring works, she now found new friends and even new place where she must adapt to. Tzuyu's hope for that office was not very high, but deep down she hoped she could work there someday.