chapter 1

Our Story or Their Story?

It was 2 days after I figured out about Lee So Hee’s comeback. I wanted to ask Kris but I didn’t know how to do that. It was Saturday and the weather was nice. Kris even asked me if I wanted to go somewhere but I shook my head. My mood was not good at all. It wasn’t a gloomy day but I was gloomy since morning.

“Jein, mom said she is coming today.” Kris informed me after he ended the call with his mother. My eyes were widened. Oh My God! I hadn’t even showered yet!

“What? Now?” I asked.

“She said in an hour.” Kris said.

“Kris, you shower now! I will clean up first!” I said. Our house was such a mess. Since it was a busy week for both of us, we didn’t have time to clean up our house.

“Nope, I’ll help. You can’t clean up all by yourself.” He said and I nodded.

“I’ll take the front side, you take the back side.” I said and he nodded. Front side was from the terrace, living room, until the family room while the back side was from the dining room, kitchen until the garden and swimming pool. I put all the trash into the trash bin and then started to sweep and mop. After that, we diligently cleaned up the furniture. Kris and I were both sweating but we knew we could get into trouble if his mom saw our messy house.

There was one time we didn’t see them coming and of course, our house looked like a ship wrecks. We got scolded again and again even until two weeks after that. We got call everyday as a reminder to clean our house. Of course, we didn’t want that to happen again.

“Mine is done.” I said and Kris seemed to have some troubles in the garden so I helped him. My mom insisted that we should have a garden to clear our mind and also for our health. It turned out the garden really needed high maintenance.

We had finally done and Kris was about to lie down on the sofa when I quickly said, “You have to shower, now! After that you can do anything you want.”

“My wife is so discipline, huh?” He pinched my cheek gently and I pouted. “You know you look even cuter when you do that.” That simple sentence made me chuckle. I couldn’t really pretend to hate him anyway.

“Okay. I’ll shower first.” He said and ten minutes after that, it was my turn. I had a quick shower, brushed my teeth and put on my clothes.

“We’re settled.” Kris smiled after I went out the bathroom. I nodded my head.

“By the way, why is mom coming today? What’s the occasion?” I asked. Kris shrugged as he said, “I don’t know. She mentioned something about dad’s business though.”

“Ohhh…” Right after that, a knock was heard from the front door.

“That must be mom!” Kris said and I nodded as we both went to open the door. The next second, time was like frozen.

That person.

Her smile greeted us but we could only freeze on spot.

What the heck was she doing here? How did she even get our address?

“Hello Kris.” She greeted him with her soft melodic voice.

“What are you doing here, Lee So Hee?” His voice was as sharp as a blade, so as his stare on her.

For a moment, I thought the earth just ate me. But I was standing there, next to Kris, in the middle of an old couple, old love. She was staring at him lovingly but he was staring at her in fury, feeling betrayed. And I stared at both of them in anxiety and fear.

From our stares, you could tell that I didn’t hate her, he hated her, and she loved him. That’s the problem. Everybody knows that the limit between hate and love is very thin.

"Weird. Why do you even ask me that? And what's with that cold stare? Aren't you happy to see me?" She looked at him and turned her head to me, "And you. What did you do to make him marry you?"

"You are the weird one. You left me, remember? Why are you here now?" Kris' face hardened.

"You were the one who said that you would wait for me. You said that you'll always be there for me when I come back. But what is all this? I only left for around 2 years and you have even married another girl. Don't you think you are being too much?"

"Really? You want to talk about 'being too much'? I clearly begged you not to go 2 years ago and you didn't care at all. Even when I finally let you go, I only asked for us to be in touch but you totally cut all contacts. Don't you think you deserve those words more than me?" I could tell that Kris was totally pissed off.

"So you are saying that you really love this girl now? Are you saying that you are completely over me?" She asked and looked at him right in his eyes. Kris suddenly pulled me closer to him and said with a cold tone, "Of course."

"Liar. I know when you are lying, Kris. You can't fool me." She smiled.

"Don't act like you know me well. I am different from the 'Kris' you knew before."

"You might be a different person now but old habits are hard to die. You are lying when you don't see me in the eyes and just before, you answered me without looking right into my eyes."

Kris was about to say something when I interrupted, "So Hee… I don't know you well enough but I've heard a lot about you. I know that you two were the perfect couple back in high school but that was more than 2 years ago. Right now Kris is legally my husband. So can you please move out the way?" I didn't know what got into me but I felt very relieved after saying those words.

So Hee looked a bit taken aback but she managed to say, "He is legally your husband but I heard that it's an arranged-marriage. You know that thing doesn't usually have a happy ending."

"It doesn't matter to me. I've chosen this path and I'll go 'till the end. By the way, why would you even meddle in our business? Mind your own business. Get another guy and make your own story. Right now, Kris and I are writing the story and the ending is not anytime near." I said with eyes glaring on her. I have decided to fight this 'till the end. I would protect everything that belonged to me.

"Why are you so sure that this is your story? We can be sure only after we see the ending. And Kris, ask your heart. Am I really gone from there?" She smirked before turning away and going back to her car. Kris froze on the spot. His stare was blank. I guessed he was a bit taken aback.

I nudged Kris gently and he turned to me. He smiled at me lightly but I knew it was a forced smile. We were about to get inside when a car stopped in front of our house. That must be mom. This time was right. She seemed to be a bit worried as she approached us with quick steps.

"Kris, Jein, we have a lot to talk." She said as we all sat down.

"What is it about?" I asked. She began fidgeting and she stuttered as she spoke, "First is about daddy. Daddy's business isn't going smooth right now."

"Calm down mom otherwise we can't understand what you are saying." I said as I handed her a glass of water.

She drank it and calmed down a bit. "Our business in China is still going well but not in Korea. The sales has been dropping since December and dad is considering to close his business here. However, dad's friend suddenly contacted him yesterday and said that he probably could help."

"Isn't it a good thing?" Kris asked and mom shook her head. "He could help under one circumstances."

"What's that?" I turned curious.

"The two of you have to divorce and Kris would marry his daughter. Because of that ridiculous term, we rejected instantly the offer. However, just yesterday, he changed the offer. He said that Kris only needed to spend time with her two hours each day for two months. Your dad just realized that he was his business partner a decade ago. And he is So Hee's dad." My eyes widened in disbelief. What the heck?

"We think that it doesn't really matter since Jein and you are married anyways. However, we also have to consider since So Hee was once your girlfriend. It’s not that we don’t trust Kris but you know… In the end, since this involves your marriage, we decided to leave this matter to your hands.” Mom said.

This must be a dream. I was confused, sad, and angry at the same time. Confused because of the absurdity of this matter. Sad because I was afraid Kris would waver. Last but not least, angry because why would we even have to consider this.

“Jein and I will discuss about this matter.” Kris said and mom looked at us intensely as she said, “While thinking about the company, please think about your marriage too. I don’t want this to jeopardize your marriage.” I could only swallow hard. At one point, I felt disappointed coz I thought Kris could have rejected directly but on the other hand, I could understand how important the company was for his family since it took more than a half of his parents’ life to build it.

Kris and I sent her to her car and we both went to our room and sat at the edge of the bed. For a moment, there was only awkward silence. Kris was probably considering my feeling while my mind was flooded by thousands of horrible thoughts. I was really a total pessimist at that time. I seriously couldn’t think positive even though I tried. I knew I shouldn’t distrust Kris but this was not an easy matter and I should not underestimate this.

“Ehm… So about the company matter. First and foremost, if I take it, will you be okay with it?” Kris finally broke the ice.

I fiddled my fingers. I became very nervous. “To be honest, I’m not sure. I will be jealous, that one I know for sure. Can I ask you one question, Kris?” I turned to face him.

Kris looked into my eyes and nodded his head, “Sure. You can ask me anything. We promise to be honest to each other, remember?” He smiled softly at me.

“Kris, can I trust you not to waver?” I asked him clearly and directly on the point. If he said ‘yes’ then I have decided to trust him with all my heart. However, if he said ‘no’, I wasn’t sure what I should do.

Kris was silent for a moment before answering, “No.” That words hurt me but I guessed I understood. After all, she was ‘someone’ to him and a ‘someone’ couldn’t be wiped out completely easily.


Updated! :D

So how is the chapter? Don't forget to drop some comments, okay? :))

~kimsfangirl~