Chapter 2

Our Story or Their Story?

My head hurt as much as my heart. I watched the two of them hopped into Kris’ car together. Nara, Hyemi, and Hyerin looked at me and patted me gently.

“Why did you even agree with this?” Nara asked. The three of them didn’t hesitate to call me stupid after I told them. They said I was a fool out of love. I couldn’t disagree with them though. Kris did say that I couldn’t trust him not to waver but he asked me to give him a chance to trust him. He was asking for a damn chance so I could trust him. How the heck could I say ‘no’ if that was the case? God damn it.

“He clearly told you that you couldn’t trust him, then why would you even give a chance to him? Are you completely out of your mind?” They began scolding me again. Sometimes, I thanked them for scolding me though because sometimes, I realized that they had a point. Their scolds sometimes also brought me to reality and not delusion. So as usual, I let them scold me to their hearts’ content.

“I think I am.” I said sadly.

“This definitely won’t work. This is called as ‘cheating in front of your eyes’. We have to begin an operation.” Hyemi said.

“What operation?” I asked.

“We will stalk them.” Hyerin said.

“You know that stalking is never my thing, right?” I laughed.

“How could you even laugh in this situation? You know, I think you’ve lost yourself. We can’t bear to see you suffering for the next two months. Besides, what’s wrong with stalking? We couldn’t stalk him 24/7 either so stalking them only once in a while won’t hurt, right?” Hyerin reasoned out.

“Yeah. We can’t even stalk them in the campus since we aren’t business major.” Hyemi said.

“I think I can help with stalking in campus.” Nara smirked and we all got what she meant. She had his boyfriend that could be our informant.

I actually didn’t want to do this. I meant doing this could hurt me too. If I knew they were being all lovey-dovey, I didn’t think I could handle it cool. However, getting to know where his heart stood was not a bad idea either. So… Yeah… Stalking him once in a while was not a totally idea I guessed.

Night came so soon. It had been more than two damn hours and Kris wasn't home yet. Were they having so much fun? I cooked ramyeon for myself since I thought Kris had had his dinner. This was certainly doleful and at the same time. For being married as such early age and got her husband be matched to someone else plus eating alone in a huge house sounds pitiful to me. The worst case was it was happening to me duh.

Even after I finished my meal, he still wasn't home yet. The thought of calling him had crossed my mind a million times but I didn't want him to think that I didn't trust him so I held back myself. However, I honestly thought that he was being too much. How could he not tell me anything? How could he neither text me nor call me? My fingers were so itchy to press his number but my brain held them back.

Just then, I heard a car approaching. That must be Kris. I was debating whether to ask him or not. Kris came in and flashed me a small smile, "Hey. You don't cook me dinner, do you?"

"Nope. I thought you've eaten." I said.

"At least you know me that much." He smiled oddly. What was that?

"What's your question?" He asked me directly and that actually caught me off guard, "None."

"C'mon I know you have a lot of questions to me right now. Your face shows it all." He chuckled and I really wished I smack him.

"Then you should answer directly instead of asking me." I pouted.

"Alright. The answer to the first question is my phone is dead. The answer for the second question is I was caught in a bad traffic since there was an accident. The answer for the third question is no. I didn't have my dinner with her. I ate with EXO since Luhan went to treat us after making it official with Nara." Kris answered smoothly while looking into my eyes deeply. I could tell he wasn't lying.

"What about the most important question? You hadn't answered that one." I crossed my arms.

"I thought we've agreed that I'm going to answer it in two months." Kris commented and I sighed. I couldn't talk back since I had given him the chance after all.

"Alright. Make sure not to disappoint me, okay?" I made a strict expression and he chuckled as he answered, "Mam, yes, mam!"

It’s been a week of hell for me. I had to wait for him ‘till night, worrying and wondering about our relationship’s status. I think Hyemi was right, this was called as ‘cheating in front of my eyes’. I was his legal wife but he spent his time with other girl. This didn’t make any sense!

I knew that the deal was only two hours. However, two hours could turn into a ing four hours. Let’s count it together. According to Luhan’s information, classes usually ended at 4.p.m. After that, So Hee would always ask Kris to accompany her to somewhere. Since it was busy time, they would probably arrive at 4.30. Then, their ‘date’ or whatever that’s called would end at 6.30. I assumed this as Kris being strict about the rules. He might not though. Well –Let’s get back to this. After 6.30, he would drive her home first and again, as it was busy time, the street must be crowded, so he reached her house at 7.15.p.m. Let’s just say Kris was being strict once again, so he didn’t get inside the house and just directly went straight home, he would arrive at 8.p.m. So… See? From 4 to 8, it became 4 hours.

He would eat his dinner and then went straight for shower. Usually, he would finish at 8.45. Then, he would do his works and finished at 11. So you see, we didn’t have time to spend together. Well –He didn’t have time, not me.

My friends noticed my extremely bad mood for the whole week and they kept on insisting the idea of stalking them on their date. I gave it a thought and as I was actually jealous, here we were –Stalking them in a mall. We were like stalkers, really. We were actually hiding behind wall. My God! This was really stupid. Some people passing by probably thought we were freaks as they looked at us displeased. I started regretting stalking them.

“Jein! Jein! Look at that!” Nara shook me and I looked at the scene. So Hee looked stunning in the dress, I must admit it.

“Beautiful.” Kris commented and he even smiled. Gosh! That was his genuine smile, the smile that I waited so long to see but he smiled like that to her after only a week of ‘dating’?

“Kris, you have to try your suit too. We have to see if it’s matched.” So Hee said and I turned confused. Suit? For what?

I saw Kris obey her as he walked to the fitting room and tried his suit. He went out not long after and I could say that he looked so handsome in that suit.

“You look so handsome!” She beamed happily and Kris smiled, again. “What do you think? Do we match?” She asked the sales girl.

“You two look perfect together!” The sales girl commented. What made me sad was the fact that Kris smiled upon hearing the comment. He didn’t even try to clarify that they weren’t even a couple. Wait –That reminded me of something. Where was his ring? He didn’t wear it.

I shrank on the floor and just in time, Hyerin caught me.

“This is too much to handle. Let’s not see this anymore.” Hyemi said.

I could sense my tears were threatened to fall as I heard Nara whispered, “Don’t let yourself cry over this. At least, not now.”

That only made me want to cry even more. My tears started falling. My vision went blurred and I couldn’t drag my feet away from them. That made Nara and Hyerin had to drag me away to the toilet.

“Here.” Hyerin gave me tissues and I wiped out my tears. Luckily, there was nobody inside.

“How could he do that?” I said in between my cries. “How could he? He was smiling like a guy that is totally in love.” I complained. “Why didn’t he clarify that they aren’t a couple? Why?” I let out all that bothered me. “AND WHY DIDN’T HE WEAR OUR WEDDING RING?” My cries went louder. The three of them were silent but I knew they were paying attention to everything I said. They were surrounding me and hugging me.

“We don’t know why. We don’t even know how horrible you might feel like now but we are not going to let you be like this. You are strong, Jein. You can’t be like this. If anything, you should fight for him.” Hyemi said.

“Yes, Hyemi is right. We will let you cry and let out all your worries but we are not going to let you break down because of this.” Nara said.

“We should confront him. Jein should know the reason! This doesn’t make sense! He agreed going out with other girl when he already has a wife because of business is already wrong. He smiling all along the ‘date’ that was made for business is worse. However, he putting off his wedding ring on a ‘date’ for business is the worst. We should confront him!” Hyerin grew furious. She was always the most direct amongst us and also the most hot-headed.

“No! Kris will know that we stalked them! That means that he knows that Jein is also violating the rules. We shouldn’t give him any reason to blame Jein.” Hyemi said.

“There is no rules saying we can’t stalk them, is there?” Hyerin said.

“It is the unwritten rule, Hyerin! Look, I understand that you are furious, we are too! But we can’t let our emotion win! This could be a boomerang for Jein. Kris would have reasons to get back on her.” Hyemi explained.

“Yes, Hyemi is right. Let’s calm down first. We need to talk about this when we’ve cooled down.” Nara immediately said.

We were trying to calm down. I still sobbed a little but my tears slowly stopped falling down. I quickly washed my face as I finally could breathe evenly.

“Okay, Jein. What do you want to do now?” Nara asked.

“If you want me to answer honestly, I just want to call off all the deals. This is too painful for me but if I did that, Kris would think I don’t trust him and he would definitely be disappointed and lectured me about how important trust is in a relationship especially marriage.” I answered.

“That’s correct.” Hyemi commented.

“But I don’t want that to happen, so that’s probably not what I should do.” I said as I looked down. “I think…” I paused before saying, “I should just go with the flow. You know… Maybe he isn’t someone for me in the first place. We get married also because of our parents in first place, not because he loved me. I think this is time for me to surrender everything. If in the end, I really have to let him go, I think I should do that. I can’t always be the one fighting for our relationship to work out because that means I am the only one loving him. And if that’s what happens, I should stop. I should stop having a one-sided love. I will definitely cry over him, I will get hurt and I will experience being broken-hearted and feeling like my life has ended but eventually, I think I will get over him. I might even find someone better than him, someone that loves me. In the end, I might fall in love with that someone and we might live happily. At last, I will be happy. What do you think?”

There was silence. I knew they were thinking about what I’ve said.

“You’ve matured a lot, haven’t you?” Hyerin commented.

“Yeah, I think she has.” Nara said.

“Well it’s your call. It does make sense though. Just remember, you won’t be alone facing it, we will always be there for you. Call us and we will cry together, as usual.” Hyemi said and we shared hug together. They were really the best gifts for me. I was very lucky to have them.