Chapter 3

Beautiful

 

 

Months passed by in a blink of an eye. After Areum's first day at her new university, she gradually became close to Seungcheol. Despite Seungcheol's tough appearance, Areum realized that the guy was an absolute cinnamon roll. He's very friendly and kind. Seungcheol was practically Areum's guide as she tries to adjust to the new environment. He gave her tours, taught her stuff the she should know so she can easily adapt. He even gave some tips about the professors in their department.

They were classmates in almost all of Areum's classes so automatically they sat together. Turns out that Seungcheol was the only one who majored in Accountancy in his little circle of friends. That's the reason why he always looked grumpy when they're in class. He only sees his friends during afternoon practices since they're all athletes. Areum also learned that Seungcheol was the vice-captain of the soccer team. She knows that it's a pretty important position despite not knowing anything about sports.

During Areum's first day, when Seungcheol offered to walk her home, they talked a lot about Seungcheol's friends. Areum thinks they are good friends because Seungcheol can't stop smiling while telling stories about them. Areum told Seungcheol that she wanted to meet them sometime, so he offered to take her to next week's afternoon practice.

The week after, Areum met his friends. She was first introduced to Jeonghan, Seungcheol's best friend since kindergarten. She thinks that Jeonghan is very charming especially with his shoulder-length blonde hair. She can't imagine him in a different hairstyle. Areum can't help but notice the mischievous glint in Jeonghan's eyes when he shook her hand.

"You must be that beautiful person that has been making Cheollie very busy these days." Jeonghan said with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

Seungcheol kicked the back of his knees for that.

When they went to the open field, she was introduced to Mingyu. Mingyu was so tall, she had to crane her neck to talk to him. Unlike Seungcheol, Mingyu has nice golden skin. His eyes twinkle when he smiles.

"Oh! You're that girl I ran into!" Mingyu said when he saw Areum.

Areum managed an awkward smile, "Um. Yeah. Hi."

"You ran into her?" Seungcheol

Mingyu giggled, "Yeah. After we talked, I realized that I was about to be late for first period so I ran and I didn't see her, because she's so small."

Areum rolled her eyes, she gets that comment a lot. Mingyu has the right to say that comment, because he has to look down, in his six-foot-tall glory, just to talk to her.

Seungcheol punched him in the stomach for that.

The boys went to the field for practice. Areum sat on the bleachers and watched them. At first, they were just doing drills. Half an hour later, a practice game started. It was the first time that Areum saw such a different expression on Seungcheol's face. His face was a mixture of concentration and excitement. Areum was fascinated. She can't help but stare at him and when Seungcheol caught her gaze, he smiled, all gums and eye wrinkles. It made her heart skip a beat and she's hopes that she's not blushing.

It was Wednesday, and Wednesdays mean eating with their friends. Areum easily became friends with Seungcheol's circle. They were very welcoming and friendly. Since they have different majors, they set a day where they can meet and eat together at lunch. They go to the My First Cup  so Wonwoo can join them too. He's on lunch duty every Wednesdays. Their circle was sort of divided in a way, but it was still a comfortable bubble for everyone. The couple, Mingyu and Sunmi had an interesting world of their own. The other one is smiling brightly while the other is trying her best to stay cold and expressionless but from Areum's eyes, she knows that Sunmi was trying her best to not melt for Mingyu's antics. Areum and Wonwoo, to their surprise at first, had similar interests. They both love books, the same music genre, and they are obviously both introverted. They talk a lot, about novels and whatnot. On the other hand, Jeonghan and Seungcheol, being jocks and all, they talk about sports nonstop. They prank each other a lot too, but usually they gang up on Mingyu.

Their lunch table was as lively as ever when Areum and Seungcheol arrived.

"Hey you guys! About time!" Jeonghan said as they took their seats.

Areum smiled at him, "Everyone looks so cheerful today, what's up?"

"Ugh. You don't wanna know." Wonwoo rolled his eyes.

"Don't be such sour puss, Wonwoo." Sunmi smirked.

Wonwoo scoffed, "That's a lot coming from you."

"Can someone please tell us what's going on?" Seungcheol said in a very commanding tone.

"Dude! It's the homecoming party!" Mingyu said with so much glee it made Wonwoo and Areum cringe.

Seungcheol's expression turned grim. Areum noticed it even though he tried to hide it by eating his lunch and avoiding everyone's gazes.

Areum tilted her head in curiosity, "Isn't it a little bit late for a homecoming party?"

"Yeah, but it's one of the parties that you shouldn't miss in this university. It's great, I tell you." Jeonghan said with very enthusiastic gestures.

Areum turned to look at Seungcheol and he was still at it, eating and ignoring. After a couple of minutes, the others also notices Seungcheol's silence. Jeonghan and Wonwoo looked at each other as if having a silent conversation before returning their attention to Seungcheol.

"Cheol, you're coming, right?" Jeonghan asked cautiously and it seemed like everyone on the table was waiting for his response.

Seungcheol lifted his head for a moment to stare at Jeonghan and then went back to eacting as he mumbled a response. "No."

Areum heard Wonwoo sighed. Her gaze was on Jeonghan who's still trying to convince Seungcheol to come. Something is not right, Areum senses it. Seungcheol's mood was fine awhile ago, but when Jeonghan asked him about the homecoming party, it seems like he suddenly shut down. 

Areum saw Jeonghan and Wonwoo exchanged a knowing look. After that, no one talked about the homecoming party because Jeonghan immediately changed the topic. It was odd. Areum thinks there is something that she doesn't know about. She told herself that this day will not end without her finding out what's wrong with Seungcheol.

After lunch, everyone went their separate ways. Seungcheol and Areum have English class. They were supposed to go to class together, but Areum saw Jeonghan and Wonwoo walk away together. They were talking silently, seriously, to themselves. Areum needs to know what's going on, or else she won't be able to sleep at night.

"Um. Hey. I think I won't be attending English today." She said without turning to look at Seungcheol.

Seungcheol turned and stare at her with concerned eyes, "Why? Are you okay?"

Areum needs to dismiss him quick.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just feeling a little... dizzy. I should go home."

"Wait, what? Let me take you home." Seungcheol said, hands automatically on Areum's forearms, trying to support her like she might fall apart in any minute.

Areum shrugged him off. " No! No, I can go home by myself. Promise. You should attend the class and tell me about what I miss later. Okay?"

Seungcheol's eyes narrowed then softens into those sweet, concerned, doe eyes of his.

"Are you sure?" 

Areum smiled. "Yes, I'm sure."

Seungcheol stared at her for a couple of minutes before nodding and saying goodbye as he head to class. Areum waited a good few minutes 'til Seungcheol was out of sight. Then she ran to the direction where Jeonghan and Wonwoo headed.
 

The two were talking in silence on the bleachers when Areum approached them. They were stunned to see her there, panting and heaving in front of them.

"You should be in class. Why are you here?" Jeonghan said with a serious tone.

Areum took deep breaths. She was not a runner, she hated running. She doesn't even know why she ran after them when she could just walk. She blames it on her stupid curiosity, the urgency to know why Seungcheol was acting so weird during lunch.

Wonwoo sighs, "So you noticed?"

"Wonwoo. Stop." Jeonghan growls. 

"She's not dumb, Jeonghan. She's the type that observes people. Of course, she'll notice the sudden shift in Seungcheol. They've been spending a lot of time together." Wonwoo retorted.

Jeonghan glares at Wonwoo then she turns to glare at Areum. She can't help but cower a little because of Jeonghan's cold gaze. It was a new side of Jeonghan. He was usually bubbly and carefree, but right now, he's being protective and sensitive. Areum thinks he knows exactly why Seungcheol was acting weird, and it seems like he doesn't want to share the information.

"I'm sorry." Areum said. "I just want to know what's wrong. I've been friends with Seungcheol for months now. He's very kind to me and I just... I just want to return his kindness, maybe help him with whatever he's dealing with. "

"What he's dealing with?" He sighs. Jeonghan's gaze softens and his face turned sad and worried.  "He's dealing with his own, broken self."

Areum's eyebrows furrowed at them. "What do you mean?"

"We should tell you about what happened to him last year, I think you deserve to know." Wonwoo said.

"I'll tell you the story, just promise us you won't tell him that we told you about it." Jeonghan said.

"Okay." Areum says as she sat beside Jeonghan, ears open and ready to listen to whatever he will say.

"We entered this university together." Jeonghan starts. Areum tilted his head at the statement. "Seungcheol, Joshua, Jun, Wonwoo and myself, we were all from the same high school and we've been friends for as long as we can remember. As you can see with your own two eyes, Seungcheol has visuals that can actually give people a heart attack. He was really popular with the ladies during freshman year. Well, to tell you the truth, we were all popular. Even, shy type Wonwoo here. I know that you've noticed it sometimes." Areum nodded. She did witnessed some girls flocking towards them. Sometimes, coming up to them and giving them gifts. Areum thought it was inevitable, because they really have god-given visuals.

"At some point, Joshua had his first college girlfriend. Of course, he introduced her to us. She was a graduating student at that time. She was way older. We couldn't believe it at first, but somehow we just shrugged off the uneasiness and let them be. Joshua looked so in love. Because she was Joshua's girlfriend, naturally, she became close to us. She became especially close with Seungcheol. They were like best friends, like how he is with you now." Jeonghan offered a small smile at Areum.

"Four months into their relationship, the fights started. During those times, we comforted Joshua while Seungcheol comforted the girl. Also, at that time, Seungcheol actually confessed to me that he has a crush on Joshua's girlfriend." Jeonghan grimaced.

Areum gasped, "No..."

Jeonghan sighs, "I'm guessing you're getting the picture." Areum nods.

"One night, they really had an awful fight. The girl was jealous at someone from Joshua's student organization and she made a big fuss about it. They fought and she went running straight to Seungcheol right after. She told Seungcheol that he broke up with Joshua. Joshua told us that it was really just a bad fight, they didn't break up that night. Since Seungcheol had a crush on her, he took it as an opportunity for him to finally cherish and care for the girl he likes. He didn't know Joshua's side of the story. He was blinded by the feelings he has for her. They dated in secret, even I didn't know about it."

"Their secret dating lasted for month. During one of our study sessions together, Seungcheol caught her and Joshua making out in back of the library. The situation broke into a fight between Joshua and Seungcheol, of course. What was sickening about it was the girl wasn't even surprised at what happened. It was like she planned it all along. Both Joshua and Seungcheol ended up with broken hearts and broken friendship, just because of that stupid girl. We were forced to choose sides. Wonwoo and I chose Seungcheol and Jun sticked with Joshua. Seungcheol was really depressed. I still think he is. He's really fragile ever since. He keeps on worrying, blaming.... hurting."

Areum closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Wonwoo and Jeonghan remained silent and for a couple of minutes all they can here was the trees rustling because of the cool breeze. She takes her time to absorb the information, to try and understand Seungcheol's past.
 

"You said you felt sick." 

Areum's eyes flew open. He felt Jeonghan and Wonwoo stand up at the voice.

"She was just-" Jeonghan tried to defend Areum but Seungcheol cut him off.

"I heard the whole thing, Jeonghan. Don't even try."

Areum stood up and faced Seungcheol, "I was just worried. You were acting weird and I just wanted to-"

"Wanted to what? Gossip about me behind my back?" Seungcheol scoffed. Areum flinched because of the sudden rise in Seungcheol's voice.

"Jesus christ, Seungcheol. She was just worried!" Jeonghan retorted.

"She was just worried and you went on ahead and told her everything what I've been trying to forget?!" Seungcheol's shouting now, anger took over. "You told her about how pathetic I was?! How I cheated with my own friend's girlfriend?! I never knew you were such a blabbermouth!"

Seungcheol turned around to walk away but Areum grabbed his arm to stop him.

"Seungcheol, I'm sorry." She was tearing up now, and she doesn't even know why. It just feels really tight in her chest and she feels suffocated.

"You said you can wait until I was ready." Seungcheol growled. He removed Areum's hand from his arm and walked away. Areum was about to follow him but Jeonghan stopped her.

"Let him cool off." Jeonghan said.

Areum replied, "I should have waited for him to tell me personally."

"You were worried. It wasn't your fault." Wonwoo said.

"It's my fault." Areum said as tears continued to run down her face.


 

A week went by, Seungcheol didn't attend his classes because he knew meeting Areum was inevitable. He was not ready to face her. When he finally cooled off, he felt really sorry for shouting at Areum. Most importantly, he felt embarassed, because Jeonghan told her about the awful things he did and went through last year. Seungcheol can't help but feel sad and lonely now that Areum will think of him as a pathetic cheating bastard now that she knows his story. Just when he thinks that he has a chance with her. Just when he's about to confess the feelings he has for her that manifested throughout the months that they were together in their classes. Just when he thinks that everything will be alright, that he'll finally have someone special, someone real in his life, that he'll finally move on from that tragic series of events last year.

Just when he realized that he had fallen for her.
 

Areum attended classes alone for a week. She roamed the university all alone. Sometime in that span of seven days, she was again bullied by some stupid girls in her class, laughing at how ridiculous her name was or how it contrasts to her actual appearance. Areum ignored it all. Her mind was occupied by only one person, and that person will never talk to her again. Everything's ruined. Just when everything had been better because of him. Just when she thought they could be a thing. Just when she realizes that she had a crush on him since the first time she saw him. Just when she was going to tell him the weird feelings in her stomach everytime he smiles at her.

Just when she realized that she had fallen for him.
 

Another week passed,  it's friday, it's the night of the homecoming party. Areum still feels a little out of it, but Mingyu and Sunmi managed to drag her with them to the party. Sunmi even helped her get dressed and everything. The theme of the homecoming party is Halloween since it was October. Everyone in the gymnasium was wearing their best halloween costume. Mingyu wore his dracula costume and some make-up to emphasize the look that he was going for while Sunmi wore a white furry dress. She said it was her werewolf costume. Areum wore a black dress, black boots and thick eyeliner. Her hair was curled so it looked wavy. She was dressed as a witch.

After a couple of minutes, Wonwoo and Jeonghan arrived. Wonwoo was also wearing all black. His hair slicked back. He said he dressed up like one of the vampires in Twilight. Jeonghan, on the other hand, wore a velvet polo short topped with a black coat. The tips of his blonde hair were dyed red on one side and blue on the other. He has eye make up with the same color of the tips of his hair. He said that the look he was going for is the male version of Harley Quinn.

"Is he coming?" She asked Jeonghan.

He sighed and gave her a sad smile. "I tried my best. I kept sending him messages even though he refused to see me. But I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

Areum felt like crying and breaking down all over again. She has been doing it quite a lot the past few days. 

"I'm going out for some fresh air. I'll just be by the entrance." She said to their friends and walked away. 
 

She ended up stargazing when she walked out of the gymnasium. She stood near the entrance of the gymnasium. It was a cold night. She can't help but shiver when a cold breeze decided to pass by. She kept staring at the stars, wondering if Seungcheol could see it too. He probably could if he's gazing by his window or something. She wonders if Seungcheol hates her. She wonders if they could ever be friends again. She wonders if she can get the chance to confess to him. She wonders if Seungcheol is okay, if he has eaten dinner, if he's thinking of her too.

Her mind screams SEUNGCHEOL SEUNGCHEOL SEUNGCHEOL SEUNGCHEOL SEUNGCHEOL SEUNGCHEOL SEUNGCHEOL SEUNGCHEOL SEUNGCHEOL SEUNGCHEOL SEUNGCHEOL SEUNG-
 

"Your date ditched you?"

Areum flinched at the voice. She didn't dare to turn around.

"Aw. Are you mad at me too? Because Seungcheol's mad at me?"

Areum sighed, "Leave me alone, Joshua."

"The party's boring. Messing with you will be a little more entertaining." Joshua replied, a smirk forming on his lips. 

"If you're bothering me because of what Seungcheol did. It's pointless. I'm not really important to him." 

Joshua remained silent for a few seconds before he spoke again, "So you know about it." His voice turned serious.

Areum remained still and silent. Joshua grabbed her shoulder and made her face him. A sinister smile was plastered to his face.

"No. I'm not bothering you because of that. I'm bothering you because you don't have a date tonight."

Areum was about to retort when suddenly a person on a motorcycle drifted towards our direction. It stopped just a few meters away from us. The motorcycle was black, and so is the clothes, shoes and the helmet of the person riding it. 

The person removed his helmet and it revealed the guy who has occupied Areum's mind for the past two weeks.

Seungcheol.

  Seungcheol was also wearing a costume, and it seems like he's dressed as a gangster.   

"I think that's my date for tonight." Areum's face lit up. 

Areum took a quick glance at Joshua, his expression turned grim.

Seungcheol offered them a smirk. "What you waiting for? Hop on, sweetpea." 

Areum almost ran. Almost. 

She mounted the motorcycle and circled her arms on Seungcheol's waist. He stared at Joshua as he puts his helmet back on his head and revs the motorcycle and after a few seconds they sped off to god-knows-where.

Areum didn't know where they were going, she didn't really care. She just held on tight to Seungcheol's waist, afraid that he might disappear. 

The motorcycle stopped just a few minutes after they left the gymnasium. When they hopped off the motorcyle, Areum registers the surroundings and realized that they were at the center of the soccer field. 

"Can I borrow your phone?" Seungcheol says out of the blue.

Areum nods and she took out her phone from her purse and gave it to Seungcheol. He took it and played a song. He also reached out and grabbed Areum's purse and placed it on top of the motorcycle. Then he took hold of her wrist and dragged her a few meters away from the motorcycle. 

The only sound they can hear is the soft sound of the phone playing a sweet song and their heartbeats. They stared at each other for what seems like hours, drowning in each other's eyes, their presence.

"I missed you." Areum says breathlessly.

Seungcheol smiles, the smile that made Areum's heart do flips.

"I missed you too." He replied.

Areum flashed him a sad smile. "I'm sorry."

Seungcheol takes her hand and stares at it as he rub circles with this thumb. 

"I'm sorry too. I overreacted." 

Areum stares at their hands too. "No, I should have waited for you to tell me."

"I might have not told you. I might have chickened out. You were just worried about me, and look what happened." His smile slowly faded and turned into a frown. 

"It's okay." 

"I might have feelings for you and I don't know if I should tell you because I'm scared that I'll just end up hurting you because I'm broken and I think I'll never be fixed and you don't deserve someone like that. " He says quietly.

Areum's heart is thundering like crazy.

"I might have feelings for you and I don't know if I should tell you but I know that you will not hurt me and I am willing to accept you, even when you think your broken, I'll try to fix you because you deserve to be happy, the only thing you should receive is love and happiness."

Seungcheol finally looked at her in the eyes. Then, he pulled her into a tight hug.

"Did I ever tell you that your name suits you so well?" He whispers in her ear. "It describes you, you're beautiful inside and out and I am in love with you."

"I'm in love with you too." Areum replied, tears of joy pooling in her eyes.

Seungcheol kissed her forehead and wished that their moment will last forever.


 

---------------END OF STORY ---------------

I'm sorry if there are typos and grammar errors, it's almost 1am when I finally finished and I'm drained. I'll edit it later.

To everyone who read this story, thank you very much and I hope you enjoyed this threeshot (if that's even a thing lmao).

To Kriszia, who requested this story as a gift for her birthday,

I FINALLY FINISHED IT!!!

Please support my ongoing stories too! ;)