Chapter 2

Beautiful

Here's chapter twooooo~~~
This is hella longer than the first one.
The last chapter would be longer though, I bet.
Hope you like this update!~
I did a little revenge on this update for my friend. HAHAHAHA BE PREPARED MY DEAR FRIEND.

Leave a comment down below, I love hearing about your opinions ^^

 


 

 

 

“Areum-ssi?”

 

She almost flinched when she heard her name. She really wanted to be alone. Just a few more minutes to compose herself before she face the dread of being a transferee again. She is not in the mood to talk to anyone at all. After that little scene in the comfort room after her first class, she just decided to skip classes for the rest of the day. She was pondering about how people can still be so immature, even in college. She knew in herself that she should just ignore it but encountering something like that on her first day, it just made it harder for her to cope in the unfamiliar territory. It drained her emotional and mental strength.

 

“Lee Areum-ssi? Is that you?”

 

The boy, assuming from the deep voice she heard, called her again. She can hear him stepping a little closer to her. She decided to take peak. She raised her head slowly and the first thing she saw was the person’s feet. He was wearing neon yellow soccer shoes and high socks. She raised her head slowly to look at the person’s face. Her eyes widened when she saw a mop of black hair and a pair of black round eyes with long lashes.

 

“Y-you…” She stuttered.

“Hi. Um…” The boy scratched the back of his head. He was a meter away from her. He decided to crouch down in front of her so they can be on eye-level.

“How did you find this place?”

Areum cleared . Looks like she won’t be able to avoid a conversation.

“This morning…. I-I was just..” She can’t finish her sentences. She was too flustered that someone found her. Someone was talking to her and it was the guy sitting beside her this morning. What’s his name again? She thought.

“Are you okay?” The boy asked, his eyes staring straight at hers.

 

Areum stood up abruptly then she gathered her things. “I…I-I’ll just go.”

She was about to make a run for it but her legs felt so wobbly she almost fell to the ground.

Almost.

The boy grabbed her shoulders and helped her stand up. He kept supporting her, afraid that she might fall.

“I think you need to rest. There’s a nearby café here. Can you walk?” The boy asked.

She wanted to say yes, because it’s already so embarrassing. She tried to move her legs but they felt like jelly. She shook her head.

The boy crouched a little, “Okay. Hold on to my shoulders. I’ll carry you on my back.”

She blushed and shook her head furiously, “No! You don’t have to. I’m okay! Really!”

He clicked his tongue. “Don’t be stubborn. C’mon. It’s just a 3-minute walk.”

She sighed as she grabbed his shoulders and he picked her up, holding onto her legs. He also grabbed her things and carried it for her.

 

They arrived at the café. It was called My First Cup. There were only a few people inside. Areum was glad. She didn’t need rumors about her and the kind boy who carried her. She didn’t want people to have more things to say about her. The boy dropped her carefully on the ground and thankfully her weak legs supported her weight.

As they walked in through the doors of the cafe, they were welcomed by the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. Areum felt a tad better. The boy walk ahead of her to the counter. Areum stared at his back, the name on the jersey. She didn’t notice it awhile ago.

“Choi Seungcheol-ssi.”

The black-haired boy snapped his head to her direction. “Yes?”

“Nothing. I-I was just reading the name on your jersey.”

Seungcheol chuckled. “Oh. Okay. Sorry for not introducing myself.”

She hung her head as low as she can. This is so embarrassing. She thought.

“Wonwoo-ya!” Seungcheol called out to the barista on duty.

 

The guy, named Wonwoo, showed his face near the counter and smiled at Seungcheol. Wonwoo is a childhood friend of Seungcheol. He studies English Lit. Wonwoo works part-time at the cafe because he told Seungcheol that he was working on a book and he needs funds for it. Wonwoo was skinny but very charismatic. He’s quite scary when he puts on his poker face. His charisma was highlighted by his raven hair and pale skin.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be at practice, hyung?” Wonwoo said as he continued polishing a glassware with a piece of cloth.

Seungcheol avoided his gaze, his ears turning red. “I’m with a classmate.” He pointed to Areum’s direction with his thumb.

Wonwoo’s sharp gaze landed on Areum. She gave him a curt nod. Wonwoo did the same.

“Well, that’s new.” Wonwoo smirked giving Seungcheol a knowing look. Seungcheol signed, I’ll tell you later.

 

Wonwoo placed the glassware back to where it belonged and went to the counter to get their orders. He was smiling as he faced Areum and Seungcheol. “So, what will it be?” He said politely.

Areum shifted her feet as he tried to choose a drink. “What’s the most popular drink?” She blurted out.

Wonwoo grinned and as he answered, “Green matcha latte. Green matcha is a trend this days so it’s been very popular with the students.”

“Wonwoo makes the best matcha drinks though. I’ve tried it.” Seungcheol added making Wonwoo smack him lightly on the arm for that comment.

Areum smiled at the interaction of the two boys. “I’ll take that then.”

“I’ll have my usual.” Seungcheol winked at Wonwoo.

Wonwoo chuckled, “Right away, hyung.” With that, Wonwoo disappeared to make their drinks as Seungcheol chose a table for them. They sat at the back part of the café where people won’t be able to see them immediately. Areum was internally grateful.

 

They sat across each other. It was very awkward. Seungcheol doesn’t know why he even got himself involved with the new girl. When he saw her, there was a sudden tug in his gut, as if gravity was trying to pull him closer to her. It was a weird sensation and Seungcheol just went with it. Usually, he just ignores everything unnecessary to him, to his studies or to his sport. This one though, he wonders why he can’t simply ignore this girl.

 

Areum can’t help but fidget in her seat. Trying to think of things to say to the boy sitting across from her. The awkwardness was so thick, it feels like she was suffocating. Again, she was reminded as to why she built those walls around her, shielding herself and ignoring socialization with other human beings. Obviously, she wasn’t good at it. She’d rather lock herself in a room, a book in hand and a blanket wrapped around her shoulder. This scenario, she didn’t think this would happen on her first day.

 

Seungcheol spoke first, “Uh.. I’m sorry for this. It must be weird to be sitting in a café with a complete stranger.” He scratched the back of his head and avoided Areum’s gaze.

“It’s okay. You’re not a complete stranger anyway. You’re my classmate in almost all of my classes, I think.” Areum said with a small smile on her lips.

He finally looked at her in the eyes with a curious look, “Does that mean, you skipped classes? I haven’t seen you since our first class this morning.”

She sighed but still managed to smile, Seungcheol thinks it looked rather forced than a genuine one. “Ah... It’s just that something happened and I needed a break from… people I guess.”

“Okay.” Seungcheol said. It seemed like it was a touchy subject so Seungcheol decided to drop it for now. “You don’t have to tell me about it. We can just….. Talk about other stuff.” He smiled.

Areum smiled back, a genuine one, Seungcheol noted. “Thank you.” She said.

 

With that, Areum bombarded Seungcheol with questions about the university, about what she needed to know, the basics to surviving the community and the loads of school work. Seungcheol was happy to answer those questions. He was happy to help out, happy that she looked more comfortable than when she first saw him awhile ago. He also returned the favor by asking Areum the basic stuff. Where she from, why she transferred and why she chose this course. She happily answered those questions as well.

When Wonwoo brought their drinks, they were sharing experiences as university students. Areum was cracking up because of Seungcheol’s funny story as a freshman trying to get into the soccer team. Wonwoo chuckled when he heard it because he also knew that golden memory of Seungcheol’s. If Seungcheol was telling this story, he must be feeling very comfortable and friendly with the girl. Wonwoo thought and smirked.

 

“Do you mind if I join you, guys? I’ll be having a 20-minute break in a few. Is that okay?” Wonwoo turned to Areum as he asked. She gave him a grin as she responded with a nod. Wonwoo mumbled a ‘thanks’ before he went back to his station.

 

“Excuse me for a moment, Seungcheol-ssi. I need to go to the restroom.” Areum said as she stood up.

He replied, “Please, just call me Seungcheol. We’re classmates anyway.”

“Okay.” She smiled then went to the comfort room.

 

 

When Areum went out of the restroom. She’s standing in front of a mirror placed beside the entrance to the restroom. She was arranging her hair, checking if she had anything on her face. She almost jumped due to shock when she saw another face, that was not hers, on the mirror. To make it worst, it was a guy, a familiar face that she’d seen somewhere.

“Hi. You’re that new girl, right?” The guy smiled at her sweetly. He has brown, disheveled hair and eyes like a cat’s. His lips curled perfectly into a smile. He was wearing a black leather jacket, white turtle neck and skinny jeans.

“Yes, um. Do I know you?” She asked.

The guy laughed heartily. “Well, you should. We’re classmates.”

Areum gawked at him, she stammered when she spoke, “I… I’m sorry. I wasn’t really-“

The guy cut her off. “Paying attention? I think not.” The guy’s smile turned into a menacing smirk. It gave Areum the chills. This guy gives off an evil and cold aura. “I saw you when you first walked into class, you considered sitting between me and Junhui.”

Areum literally flinched at that. She didn’t know that someone was paying attention to her as she chose her seat, and it had to be the guy with the cat-like face. Not only does he looks like a cat, but he also seems to act like one. He‘s quite sneaky. Before she could respond to the guy in front of her, she saw from the corner of her eye, a person walking towards them.

 

“Leave her alone, Jisoo.” Seungcheol said as he walked towards them.

Seungcheol wondered what was taking her so long, but then Wonwoo came to there table and gave him a heads up that Jisoo entered the café. Seungcheol shouldn’t be bothered by it, hell, he doesn’t give a if the infamous Hong Jisoo was in the same place as him. Seungcheol was so ready to just downright ignore it, but then he remembered that he came here with someone. That someone is not aware of the dangers of talking to Hong Jisoo.

 

Jisoo turned to look at Seungcheol, a playful grin formed on his lips.

“Well, well, well.” Jisoo faced Seungcheol as he stopped right in front of Jisoo.

Seungcheol can see the dangerous glint in Jisoo’s eyes. “You skipped practice today, Choi?” He said as he took a quick glance at Areum.

“It’s none of your business and it will never be, Hong.” Seungcheol retorted. “Why are you even here? You hate this place.”

Jisoo smirked. “Aw. You know me so well.”

Seungcheol gave him a death glare. “ off.”

“Some people told me that our new,” He pointed at Areum, “Beautiful classmate, was seen being carried towards this café. I was wondering why she was being carried. I’m just a concerned classmate, that’s all.

“Did your rats told you that I was the one carrying her? Since when did you give a ?” Seungcheol said with such venom in his words, Areum took a step back. Jisoo never fails to notice every single thing, and he really was frightening.

Jisoo chuckled, “Calm down, Choi. You’re new friend is getting scared.”

 

Before Seungcheol could retort, someone came running towards them.

“I take my eyes off you for a moment and you’re gone like a ghost! What the is wrong with you man!?” A guy said as soon as he saw Jisoo. His eyes grew wide when he saw Seungcheol, who was still busy staring daggers at Jisoo and Areum at the back looking pale and helpless.

“Jisoo, what are you doing?” The guy’s expression turned grim as he took glances at the three of them.

Jisoo, who has his poker face on, sighed and said, “I don’t have to answer you. I do what I want.”

“Drop it, Jisoo.” The guy said in all seriousness and Jisoo sighed again. Jisoo turned to look at Areum one last time and said, “I’ll see you around, beautiful.” He said the last word in English. Areum tried so hard not to flinched but failed. Jisoo smirked at her. Then he turned to Seungcheol and they had a few seconds of glaring before he stride towards the exit of the café.

The unknown guy grabbed Areum’s hand and apologized really quickly, “I am so sorry about that. He’s just a little bit weird, but he’s a nice guy. Really. I’m Wen Junhui by the way, I’m also your classmate. I am really sorry. I need to knock some sense into him. Anyway, I really need to go now. Again, I’m sorry. I’ll see you tomorrow.” The guy named Junhui spoke so fast Areum didn’t have time to respond so she just nodded.

Before Junhui could run for the exit, Seungcheol spoke making Junhui stop in his tracks, “Some friend you have there, Junhui.”

Junhui, with a serious yet pained expression turned to look at Seunghceol dead straight to his eyes as he replied, “Isn’t it better this way, Seungcheol? Don’t question my choices, because I never questioned yours.” With that, Junhui left the café.

 

Seungcheol sighed. He turned to look at Areum who was staring at her feet.

“Hey. I’m sorry about that. They're just really… bad news and I got worried. I’m sorry you had to witness that.”

Areum stared at him, gaze set on his, “Are you okay?”

Seungcheol was taken aback by the question but he nodded nonetheless.

“Well, that ruined our comfortable bubble.” Areum giggled and Seungcheol can’t help but laugh.

Seungcheol thinks he owes her an explanation about what just happened but it looked like Areum read her uneasy expression. “You don’t have to explain. Save it for when you’re ready.” Seungcheol nodded and gave her a small smile.

“So? Let’s continue talking tomorrow?” Areum smiled at him.

Seungcheol smiled back, an idea popped in his mind. Since, he got out of his way to get himself involved with her, why not make the most of it?

 

“Or, how about we continue our conversation as I walk you back to your place?” He grinned, his gums showing. Areum felt butterflies in her stomach because of it.

 

She replied, “I’d love that.”