Chapter 09

Second Chance

A few days after going shopping together, Jang Mi made her way to the dance studio, her scarf tightly wrapped around her neck. She smiled down at her hands, admiring her new gloves.

 

 

After buying the shoes he wanted, they spent some time wandering around the mall, window shopping and eating snacks. He pulled her into a shop that he knew she loved, pulling her up to the winter clothes on the back wall. “What are you looking for?” she asked. “Gloves.” He mumbled back, too distracted by the countless pairs of gloves on display in front of them. “Aha! These ones!” he said as he picked up a black pair with green designs. She nodded. “I think they’ll suit you, you like green as well. But don’t they look a little small?” she said as she examined the gloves.

 

Hoseok shook his head and smiled at her. “They're not for me.” he said with a laugh. “Oh? Who are they for?” she gasped. “Did you find a girlfriend and not tell me?!” she shouted, ignoring the stares she got from the people around them. The faintest blush stained Hoseok's cheeks. “No! Idiot!” he said, waving his hands around in panic. “They're for you!” he said. She blinked back at him. “For me?” she asked. He nodded. “Yeah, you’ve always been the same. You have more scarves than this entire shop but you never have gloves and your hands are always freezing.” He said.

 

She was shocked at his words. “Come on, let’s go pay.” He said as he headed off towards the till. She protested and tried to pay for them herself, but he just ignored her, the girl behind the till smiling sweetly at them. “Just let your boyfriend pay for them.” She said making Jang Mi flush. Hoseok wrapped his arm around her shoulder, “That’s right, sugarplum.” He teased. “Just let oppa pay.” He said, throwing a wink in her direction. The girl behind the till “aww”ed out loud while Jang Mi had to use all of her willpower not to burst out laughing.

 

When they left the shop, Hoseok helped her put on the gloves, despite the fact that they were still in the mall. “There. Now you won't have cold hands anymore.” He said with a warm smile. She smiled back at him. “Thanks, Hobi.”

 

 

She held her hands against her cheeks, smiling at the feeling of the soft material against her skin. She opened the door to the studio, the receptionist calling on her. “Hey, what’s up?” she asked. “You got a new student. He’s paid for private lessons, twice a week. He even paid for the entire block up front.” She said, a smile on her face, proud of herself for achieving such a good sale. Jang Mi smiled at her. “That’s amazing.” She said, high-fiving the younger girl.

 

“He’s waiting for you in studio two. He said he wants to talk to you about the times for his lessons.” Jang Mi nodded. “Ok, I’ll quickly go drop off my bag then I’ll go see him.” She rushed off to the break room and put her things into her locker. She grabbed her schedule from the inside of her locker and made her way to the studio, a smile on her face, ready to meet her new student.

 

She pushed the door open, calling out a ‘hello’ as she stepped into the room. When her eyes landed on her student, she froze. “Do-Jung? What are you doing here?” she asked, stunned to see him in front of her. He smiled brightly at her as he rolled up the sleeves of his sweater, showing off his toned forearms. “I’m here to meet my teacher.” He said, grinning at her. She mentally cursed. “Why me?” she asked, not moving from her place by the door. “I’ve seen you dance before and I think you're amazing. I've always wanted to learn how to dance properly so I decided that just wishing I could dance wasn’t enough. If I want to learn, I need a good teacher, so I asked around and found out that you teach here so I signed up this morning.”

 

She frowned. “I don’t think I'd be the best teacher for you. I think Hoseok or Jimin would be better for you.” She said, hoping that she could escape from having to teach him. She wouldn’t have been so flustered if he had joined one of the group sessions, but the fact that he had signed up for individual lessons made her feel uncomfortable. He shook his head. “I don’t want to learn from them. I like your style best. It has to be you.” He said firmly. She quickly debated the pros and cons of letting him be her student. Their school was small, and while they had a good number of students, a full blocks payment for individual lessons wasn’t cheap, it would be a great help to the school. In the future he broke her heart, but now, he technically hadn’t done anything wrong. He had been a little too insistent, but he hadn’t done anything wrong.

 

She squared her shoulders, forcing a smile onto her face. “Okay, I have my schedule here. Let’s work out a time for your classes.”

 

 

 

Once she had agreed on time for her classes with Do-Jung, she made her way to the break room where Jimin and Hoseok were goofing off before their first classes. She sat beside Hoseok, grabbing his drink and taking a swig. “Yah, get your own.” He whined playfully. She stuck her tongue out at him before taking another swig, just to annoy him. He nudged her with her elbow, “Why do I put up with you?” he asked playfully. “Because you love me~” she sang as she draped her arms around him, making Jimin roll his eyes at their actions. “Date already.” He said as he shook his head and left the room with a chuckle.

 

“Where were you? I noticed your stuff was here but you weren’t around.” He said as she let him go, putting her feet up on the coffee table in front of them. “I was meeting my new student.” She said, crossing her arms over her chest. “New student?” Hoseok asked curiously. She nodded, “Yeah, he signed up for a full block of individual classes, paid in advance too.” She said, hoping he wouldn’t ask who he was. “Oh wow, that’s brilliant! That’ll help pay for the fees for the competition the kids are going to in the spring.” He said, a smile on his face as he mentioned his kid’s class. She nodded, knowing that the money Do-Jung had given the school for his fees would be a great help. “Yeah, it’s great.”

 

“So, what’s his name?” Hoseok asked. Her smile faltered a little. “It’s Do-Jung.” She said quietly. Hoseok gave her a strange look. “Do-Jung?” he looked away from her, a frown on his face. “Are you sure you’ll be okay teaching him?” he asked worriedly, his gaze still fixed on his drink in front of him. She took her feet off of the table and wrapped her arm around his shoulders. “Don’t worry. Everything will be alright.” She said, hoping that she could stop Hoseok from worrying. He looked at her, his gaze meeting hers as he looked for any sign of worry in her eyes. He let out a sigh and a small smile appeared on his face. “Okay, if you're sure. But if he tries any funny business, tell me. Jimin and I will sort him right out. No one messes with my girl.” He said, jumping up and flexing his arms making her burst out laughing. “Okay, okay. I will.” She promised in-between laughs.

 

 

 

Over the following weeks, Jang Mi had classes with Do-Jung twice a week. She had expected him to not take the lessons seriously, but she had been dead wrong. He showed up for each lesson a little better than the last. She could tell that he must have been practicing in his own time. He had picked his lesson times so that he could go after work, meaning that he was her last class of the day. At the end of every lesson, he offered her a ride home. She always declined his offer and he never pushed her. After a month of lessons, she had become almost comfortable in his presence. Even Hoseok had become less worried about them having classes together. For the first two weeks he had stayed behind to wait for her, even though his lessons finished long before her session had ended. After that, he had stopped waiting, but always called her after her lesson to make sure that she was okay. By the time a month had passed, he was convinced that Do-Jung was being polite, and wasn’t trying to pressure Jang Mi into a date again, like he had attempted to do previously.

 

That thought both calmed him and made him nervous at the same time. He was glad that Do-Jung wasn’t being a creep towards Jang Mi, but a part of him was worried that with him behaving properly, that Jang Mi's crush on him would return. He sat in the break room, waiting for Jang Mi to finish her class with Do-Jung. He could faintly hear the music coming from studio two. Usually she would be the last one there after her classes with Do-Jung and would lock up after she left, but they had agreed to hang out once she had finished.

 

He picked up his water bottle, frowning when he noticed it was empty. He looked around to the water cooler and grumbled to himself when he saw that the bottle was needing replaced. He pushed himself off of the couch and made his way to the cooler in the reception area, hoping that it wasn’t needing replaced either. When he left the break room, he noticed that the music had stopped. He checked his watch, “Their class must be over.” He said to himself as he refilled his bottle. He watched as Jang Mi and Do-Jung came out of the studio, Do-Jung's face shiny with sweat.

 

“You did really well today. It shows that you’ve been practising.” She said, giving him an encouraging smile. He grinned back at her. “If you say I’m doing well then it must be true. I couldn’t have gotten this far without such a good teacher.” She laughed at his words. “It’s all your hard work.” She said, waving off his compliment. “Do you need a ride home?” he asked, just like he did after every lesson. She shook her head. “No thanks, I’m hanging out with Hoseok tonight.” His smile faltered for a split second at the mention of Hoseok, but he covered it quickly with a smile. “Okay, make sure you get home safely. I’ll see you for our next lesson.” He said before giving her a wave and heading towards the main door.  She waved back before turning around to head to the break room, stopping when she saw Hoseok by the water cooler. “Hey, sorry you had to wait so long.” She said as she approached him.

 

He shook his head and offered her his water bottle. “Don’t worry about it. You showering before we go out?” he asked. She took a drink before nodding. “Yeah, I’ll be super quick.” He nodded. “Ok, but hurry up I’m starving~” he said, grabbing his stomach like he would die if he didn’t eat in the next minute. She laughed and gave him his bottle back. “You’re so dramatic.” She teased as she hurried off to the shower room. “Am not!” he shouted after her, a smile on his face as she disappeared into the break room.

 

He went around the studios, double checking that all of the lights had been turned off and that all of the windows had been closed before they left for the night. He wandered back into the break room and was just about to sit down when he heard Jang Mi calling his name. “Hobi?” she called. “Yeah? What’s up?” he shouted through the closed door that led through to the small shower room. “Hobi… I forgot a towel.” She called through, her embarrassment clear to hear in her voice. Hoseok's jaw dropped, his eyes widening, “Y-you forgot a what?”