Chapter 02

Second Chance

As promised, Hoseok pulled up outside of her apartment at exactly seven pm. She ran downstairs, Hoseok opening the door of the taxi for her as she approached. “The white rabbit? You must be late for an important date!” he said cheerfully as he took in her outfit, his tight police officer outfit showing off his lithe muscles. She chuckled at his joke as the taxi started moving. “A police officer?” she questioned. “Yup, I look good right?” he asked, striking a pose and making her laugh. “You're the most handsome police officer I’ve ever seen.” She said, a laugh making its way out of at her friend’s antics.

 

Hoseok smiled back at her, happy to see her smiling and out of the house. He knew that she had been heartbroken when she had broken up with her boyfriend. They had been together for almost a year and she had been in love with him long before they had started dating. It had been two weeks since they had broken up and she had spent the two weeks at home, moping. He hated seeing her so sad. When he had found out what had happened, he had been fully intent on finding her now ex-boyfriend and giving him a piece of his mind, but Jimin had managed to talk him out of it, telling him that he should just focus on Jang Mi instead. She needed someone to stop her from falling completely off the map. If it hadn’t been for him turning up at her apartment almost every single day with food, and forcing her to eat proper meals, he was convinced that she would have made herself ill.

 

He had hoped that she wouldn’t protest coming out to the Halloween party. He knew that she needed to get out of the house and the party was the perfect excuse. He helped her out of the taxi, linking her arm through his. “Ready?” he asked. She nodded, “Yeah. Let’s go.”

 

Jimin met them at the door, dressed up like Mickey Mouse, he ushered them into the apartment, pointing out where everyone was before turning to Jang Mi. “I’m glad you came.” He said as he wrapped his arms around her in a tight hug. “We’ve been worried about you.” He said, pulling back to look at her. “Sorry.” She said, feeling guilty for making them all worry so much about her. He gave her a bright smile. “Don’t apologise. You're here now and that’s all that matters.” He said before pulling her into another tight hug. “Right, there’s a beer pong game about to start and Jungkook is just asking to get his kicked.” He said pointing behind her where Jungkook was impatiently waiting for him. Jungkook waved to Hoseok and Jang Mi before settling his gaze on Jimin. “Come on, hyung. Unless you're too scared to face me?” he asked cheekily, holding up a ping pong ball. Jimin cursed under his breath. “You're just asking for it, maknae!” Jimin yelled as he rushed towards the table.

 

Jang Mi chuckled as Hoseok led her over to watch the match. He leant towards her, “I’ll grab us some drinks.” He said. She nodded and gave him a thumbs up, the music suddenly louder, thanks to Taehyung who had somehow gotten control of the speakers. For the first time in two weeks, she felt normal again. All thoughts of her cheating ex flew out of her head as she watched Jungkook completely demolish Jimin at beer pong. As she spent time amongst her friends, she realised just how much she had cut herself off from them since the break up and she vowed to stop moping and get herself back on track.

 

 

 

She had been at the party for almost two hours before someone mentioned her ex. Her school friend, Kihyun, was at the party. He had turned up later with a few of his friends and he had hugged her almost immediately. “I heard what happened. How you holding up?” he asked worriedly. “I’m good.” She said, giving him a reassuring smile.

 

After Kihyun, it seemed that every other person that turned up at the party wanted to know how she was doing. She appreciated that they were all worried about her, but she didn’t want to think about him anymore. She had promised herself that she was going to move on, but because everyone kept on asking how she was coping, she couldn’t stop thinking about him. She eventually stepped out onto Jimin's balcony, needing to be alone for a few minutes to clear her head.

 

She took a deep breath of the cool, autumn air, rubbing her arms to fight off the chill in the air. “There you are.” She turned around to see Hoseok stepping out onto the balcony, closing the door behind him, the sound of the music dull through the glass. He stood beside her, resting his arms on the railing in front of them. “I was wondering where you ran off to.” He said, subtly checking her expression to see if she had been crying. “Just needed a bit of fresh air.” She said, looking out at the lights illuminating the dark night around them. He nodded in understanding as he wrapped one arm around her, pulling her against his side. She released a deep breath and sank into the warmth and comfort that he offered her.

 

She appreciated that he didn’t ask her how she was doing. He always seemed to know exactly what to say, or what not to say. They stayed that way for several minutes until Hoseok finally broke the silence. “Do you wanna stay or do you wanna go?” he asked. She stood up straighter, immediately missing the warmth from his body. “I’m gonna stay. I came out to have a good time.” she said firmly. Hoseok nodded and smiled at her. “That’s my girl. Come on, from what I can see, Taehyung is attempting to rap and someone needs to show him how it’s done.” He said making them both laugh. She followed him back into the apartment, pushing down all of her negative thoughts and putting a smile onto her face.

 

For the rest of the night, she managed to have a good time. Only a few more people asked her how she was doing and she managed to convince them all that she was fine. When she finally went back home, after having a few too many drinks, she flopped down onto her bed, something jammed under her. She muttered a curse as she rolled onto her back and pulled the offending object from her pocket. She looked at the pocket watch that she had picked up the day before. She ran her fingers down the warm metal. She sat up, brushing her short hair away from her face.

 

“What was the order again?” she said as she started playing with the watch. She messed with the latch as she tried to remember. “Ah! I remember. Open and close this twice, turn it once, two times this way and three seconds…” she muttered to herself as she tried to remember the correct order. When she released the top of the watch she held her breath, expecting the hands to start moving faster, or for everything to go fuzzy… anything. But the watch just continued to tick on as normal. She sighed and dropped the watch onto her bedside table. “What am I even thinking? It was just a sales pitch, it’s not like it can actually take me back in time.” she muttered as she pushed herself off her bed and changed into her pyjamas.

 

She went into her bathroom to wash off her makeup. She glared at her reflection, hating her now short hair. “I can’t believe I cut my hair for that jerk.” She muttered, desperate for her hair to grow long again. She stormed out of the bathroom, flicking the lights off as she went. She flopped back into bed, the pocket watch catching her eye. “I wish you really worked. Then I could go back and change everything.” She muttered as she rolled over, putting her back to the watch as she drifted off to sleep.

 

 

 

The next morning she woke up, pleasantly surprised to not be hungover after the amount she had drank the night before. She sat up and stretched, “Ugh, why am I so warm?” she mumbled as she rubbed her eyes and headed into the bathroom. She grabbed her toothbrush, squeezing out a little more toothpaste than she needed to get rid of the aftertaste of the alcohol in . She started brushing her teeth, raising her head to look into the mirror and she stopped dead. “What the heck?” she quickly spat out the toothpaste in and dropped her toothbrush. “Why is my hair so long?!” she squealed. She gave the strands an experimental tug, wincing at the pain in her scalp. “Ok, so it’s not a wig… how? I don’t understand. If it was shorter than last night that would make sense, but how can it have grown so much overnight?”

 

She combed her fingers through her hair which now rested below her shoulder blades, just like it had before she had cut it off almost a year ago because Do-Jung had told her that he preferred girls with short hair. She looked for signs of extensions, but came up empty handed. “How can this be happening?” she muttered as she looked around the bathroom, a pink bottle catching her attention. She hesitantly reached out and picked up the bottle. “Why the hell is this still here? I hate this perfume… the only reason I ever had it is because Do-Jung liked it. I thought I threw it out when we broke up?” she threw the bottle into the rubbish bin with disgust clearly showing on her face.

 

“This is so weird.” She muttered, her hands resting on the sink in front of her. “How much did I drink last night? Am I hallucinating? Am I dreaming?” she pinched her arm, wincing at the pain. “Ok, so I’m not dreaming. Calm down Jang Mi, calm down. There has to be a logical explanation for all this.” She took a couple of deep breaths before heading back into her bedroom. “What the hell?” she jumped backwards, the colour of her bedroom startling her. “Why is my bedroom purple again? I swear it was blue when I went to bed…” she slowly stepped into her bedroom, noticing all the changes that had apparently happened overnight. “Okay, so my hair is magically long again, my bedroom has changed colour, I still have that Big Bang poster on my wall even though I am certain that I had a Pentagon one up when I went to bed… this is insane.”

 

Her eyes landed on the pocket watch which was lying on her bedside table where she had left it the night before. “There’s no way…” she muttered as she slowly picked it up, the metal cold from not being touched for a long time. She undid the clasp, “The hands… they’ve stopped moving.” She closed the watch, her eyes darting around her. “This is insane… did I really? Have I gone back in time?”