Chapter 12

Second Chance

Jang Mi clapped loudly as Do-Jung finished off dancing the new section of the dance she had been teaching him. “You're really improving. Just remember to keep your arms higher when you're coming out of the turn, it’ll set you up for the next move better so that you don’t miss the timing.” She said as she offered him a smile. He grinned at her, happy to receive her praise. He picked up a small towel from his bag as the song continued to play in the background. “I think it’s because you're such a good teacher. I’m surprised you haven’t smacked me upside the head yet, I’m so clumsy.” He said with a chuckle, throwing a charming smile in her direction. She couldn’t help but chuckle back, “You’re not that bad.”

 

She headed towards the stereo, bending down to turn off the music. Although she didn’t want to admit it, she had actually begun to enjoy her lessons with Do-Jung. He was passionate which made teaching him almost a pleasure. She focused on trying to remember that he technically hadn’t done anything to her now. All of the pain he had caused her had happened in a future that no longer existed. She turned off the stereo, unplugging her mp3 in the process. She started to stand up, twisting around as she did so, only to find Do-Jung standing right behind her. She lost her balance, Do-Jung's arm shooting out and wrapping around her waist. He attempted to pull her upright, but he lost his footing, both of them tumbling to the ground.

 

She grunted as her back connected with the hard wooden floor beneath her, Do-Jung's strong, heavy body pressing down on top of her. He pushed himself up onto his forearms which caged her head, his leg shifting to help support his weight. He chuckled down at her. “Are you okay?” he asked. She nodded, suddenly feeling uncomfortable under his intense gaze. He made no attempt to disguise the fact that his eyes raked over her body. She held her breath and counted to ten, waiting for him to get up, but he made no attempt to move. “Uuummm, I think we should get up now.” She said after she finished counting. His gaze returned to her face, a smirk forming on his lips which made her even more uncomfortable.

 

One of his hands moved to gently run through her hair, pushing the strands away from her face. “Why are you playing hard to get?” he asked softly. Icy dread coursed through her veins at his words. “What are you talking about?” she asked, praying for her voice to remain firm. She cursed herself for being here alone with him. Every good thought she’d had about him evaporated instantly. He chuckled, his hand abandoning her hair and instead moving to caress her cheek. She resisted the urge to flinch away from the familiar but unwanted touch. “I mean everyone knows that you have a massive crush on me. Even your best friend tried to hook us up at Halloween, so why have you been avoiding my advances? Do you like the chase? Is that it? Does it get you off or something?” he asked, a wicked gleam in his eyes.

 

She flinched from his vulgar words. “What are you talking about? I do not have a crush on you. Maybe I did before but I thought I made it clear that I do not have any more feelings for you. Now will you please get off of me?” she said as she pushed against his chest. But it was like a faint summer breeze trying to move the mountains themselves. His body was strong and well-toned, evidence of his many hours spent in the gym. He snickered at her feeble attempt to get him away from her. He tutted down at her, the arrogant, mocking sound making her angry. “Get off of me.” she said firmly as she tried to wiggle out of his grasp, but he was faster. He grabbed both of her wrists, pinning her arms by her head. Panic and survival instinct kicked in and she began to thrash against him, but she was too weak to dislodge him. He grinned down at her as she struggled against his iron grip, spitting curses at him.

 

He brought his thigh up higher, pressing it against her core. “Do you like that, baby?” he teased, his voice dropping to a husky whisper. “Get the off of me Do-Jung!” she shouted, her voice breaking with fear. “Come on baby, you know you want this. Why else would you have agreed to teach me? If you really didn’t want to you know you could have made someone else teach me. You knew why I was here and you loved it.” He said, his voice full of amusement as he looked down at her, similar to how a predator would look at its prey before making its move. “Do you know how many times I've imagined having you?” he asked as she continued to thrash against him. He forced both of her hands together, pinning them in place with only one of his hands as his other hand ran down her body.

 

She felt repulsed by his touch, she couldn’t work out why she had ever loved someone like him. He was rotten to his very core. “I’ll make you feel so good baby.” He said as his hand fisted in her hair and he forced his lips onto hers. A muffled cry left and he took full advantage, plunging his tongue into . It wasn’t until they heard Hoseok's stuttering that he pulled away. At the look on Hoseok's face, he knew that Hoseok had misread the situation, Do-Jung smirked at him, knowing all too well that Hoseok would have given anything to be in his position. Her eyes opened, not daring to believe that Hoseok was standing at the doorway. His name passed her lips in a weak whisper. Hope bubbled up within her. She was convinced that that Hoseok would push Do-Jung off of her and that everything would be okay.

 

But horror filled her as Hoseok fled without saying a word. She felt like everything had slowed down, her brain unable to comprehend what had just happened. Do-Jung chuckled, his eyes still on the door. “Looks like he didn’t like what he saw.” He said, his voice mocking. Jang Mi's fight or flight response flew into overdrive, adrenaline coursing throughout her body. With strength she didn’t know she possessed, she ripped one of her hands free and raked her nails down Do-Jung's face. He cursed loudly, moving up to his knees. She took the opportunity to scramble out from underneath him.

 

She cursed as she accidentally moved further into the room instead of towards the door. Her eyes landed on the fire extinguisher in the corner of the room. She bolted for it, ripping it from its restraints and holding it up, similar to how a batter would hold a baseball bat. “Get the out of here or I swear to god I will hit you with this. And then I’ll call the police and get you arrested.” Do-Jung spun around to face her, angry red welts running down the side of his face, a few of them with speckles of blood where her nails had managed to tear the skin.

 

He laughed, a cold hard sound. “You ing .” He spat at her as he stood up. She readjusted her grip on the fire extinguisher, her knuckles white from the strength of her grip. Her breaths came out in shallow pants as she stared at him, almost too afraid to blink in case he made a move towards her. He ran a hand over his face, examining his reflection in the huge mirrors that covered the entire wall. “.” He repeated. “You know what? you.” He said as he grabbed his bag. “I was only looking for a good anyway.” He spat at her as he left the room, slamming the door behind him.

 

She stood frozen, too terrified to move. Only when she couldn’t hold up the fire extinguisher for another second did she move, her eyes fixed on the door as if Do-Jung would come back through it any second to finish what he had started. She felt her legs buckle underneath her and she crashed to the floor. Her hands were shaking uncontrollably as she thought over what had almost happened. She felt tears drip from her eyes, but she felt numb, unable to fully process what was happening. She sat there, tears dripping from her eyes, her hands shaking for a long time. She wasn’t aware of how much time had passed before she pulled out her phone, her fingers automatically bringing up Hoseok's number.

 

She held the phone to her ear, waiting to hear the familiar, comforting sound of Hoseok's voice, but instead, she was greeted by the cold, robotic automated message from the voicemail service. She cut off the call and automatically called him again, this time a little more desperately. When the voicemail service cut in again, she immediately ended the call and called again. “Come one Hoseok, pick up.” she pleaded. When the voicemail service kicked in for the third time, she had to choke back tears as she ended the call. All she wanted was for her best friend to be by her side. To hold her, to tell her that everything was going to be okay. That she was safe.

 

“Why is this happening? This is all because I came back in time.” she sobbed. “I should have just left things as they were. Heartbreak is better than this.” She cried as she tried calling Hoseok one more time, but was once again greeted by the voicemail service. Her eyes landed on the door, briefly considering leaving by herself but a wave of fear froze her limbs and pinned her back in place. She pulled up Jimin's number, his bright voice answering her after only a few rings. “Hey Jang Mi, what’s up?” he asked. It was such an innocent question, one that she had asked, and had been asked a million times, but this time, it wasn’t so easy to answer. “Jimin…” was all she managed to get out. Jimin immediately picked up on her tone. “Jang Mi where are you? Are you okay? Are you hurt?” he asked, his voice drenched in worry. “Studio.” She rasped out as she tried to calm her frantic breathing. “Please come get me.” she begged. “I’m on my way. Don’t move.” He said as he ended the call.

 

She dropped her phone on the ground, her hands instead reaching out for the extinguisher, even though she wasn’t sure if she would have the strength to lift it again. She knew that Jimin lived only a few blocks from the studio so it wouldn’t take him long to get there. “I shouldn’t have tried to change things.” She whispered into the quiet room.

 

 

 

She let out a yelp as the door to the studio was thrown open, her grasp around the fire extinguisher tightening as she hauled it up with shaking hands. Jimin took one look at her and rushed to her side. She dropped the extinguisher as he approached her. He dropped to his knees and pulled her into a tight hug. Her hands fisted in his thick sweater, noting that he had neglected to put on a jacket. “You must be cold.” She mumbled, feeling guilty for worrying him. He pulled back, his expression full of worry. “Is that what matters now?” he asked in a panic as he took in her eyes which were red from crying. “What happened?” he asked gently.

 

Tears welled up in her eyes but she forced them down as she took in a shaky breath. She told him what had happened between her and Do-Jung. She could feel Jimin's anger grow as she continued to talk. “That bastard.” He spat once she had finished talking. “I’ll kill him.” He growled. He turned back to her and pulled her into a tight hug again. “Don’t worry Jang Mi, he’ll never touch you again.” he said firmly, needing her to believe his words. She wrapped her arms around him, thankful for his care and kindness as she sobbed into his shoulder. “Do you wanna stay at my place tonight?” he offered. She nodded and gave him a watery, thankful smile. “Please. I don’t want to be alone.” She admitted quietly.

 

He helped her stand then took her to her locker to collect her clothes and bag. Her movements were clumsy from the stress and the sudden exhaustion which had overtaken her body. Jimin waited patiently, helping check all of the lights and windows before helping her lock up the studio. He led her back to his apartment, apologising for the mess. He led her to his bedroom, telling her that he would sleep on the couch. She protested but he wouldn’t listen. He gave her some clothes to change into so that she could sleep. Part of her was desperate to shower, to wash away the feeling of Do-Jung from her body, but she was too exhausted. She quickly changed and fell into Jimin's bed, smelling his familiar cologne. It was almost as comforting as Hoseok's scent was. She tried to call Hoseok one more time, but her call once again went through to the voicemail service.

 

She let her hand fall onto the bed, exhaustion finally claiming her as she fell into an uneasy sleep.