Chapter Seven

Of Ink and Emptiness

 

TY_Track sent a photo
TY_Track: Look!!
TY_Track: I did it ♫ヽ(゜∇゜ヽ)♪♬(ノ゜∇゜)ノ♩♪

Doyoung shot Taeyong a look of pure judgment, having snuck a glance at the other’s phone. “Are you kidding me?”

Before Taeyong could be snarky back his phone buzzed aggressively in his palm.

NaYut: YAY! ! ! !
NaYut: Omedetou! !
NaYut: \\\(۶•̀ᴗ•́)۶////
NaYut: ᕙ(@°▽°@)ᕗ
NaYut: ♬♩♪♩( ◜◒◝  )♩♪♩♬

“Oh my god you both are the worst!” Doyoung rolled his eyes so hard Taeyong wondered how they hadn’t fallen out of his head yet. But it didn’t matter. In his hand was his Japanese final exam with a very boastful 95 at the top. Taeyong was on a high that even Doyoung’s sass couldn’t bring down.

He’d spent every night the previous week studying until 4 or 5am, and after Yuta noted Taeyong’s pattern for still being awake by the time the model got up for work he started joining him in the evenings to quiz him on the material.

“Having a Japanese boyfriend pays off,” Taeyong had muttered under his breath when he’d received the score, metaphorically wiping sweat from his forehead when he realized (gratefully) that Jaehyun and Doyoung weren’t around to make fun of him for it.

With this exam completed and his Japanese language concentration successfully locked in Taeyong was on the fast track to graduating.

NaYut: I want to take you out to celebrate
TY_Track: Sorry. Doyoung and Jaehyun are beating you to it.
NaYut: Not fair, they’re closer!!
TY_Track: ¯\_(°_◞°)_/¯
TY_Track: You can take me out to celebrate as much as you want when I move there
NaYut: 67 days until you move!
TY_Track: . . .
TY_Track: Are you counting??

“Alright loverboy, no more texting,” Doyoung linked his arm with Taeyong’s and tugged him out of the building, “Jaehyun just got off work so it’s time to party. Tell Yuta you’ll drunk text him later.”

“I don’t do that,” Taeyong squawked.

“Fine, tell him you’ll drunk write on your arm. We have all sorts of Sharpies on hand just for the occasion.”

“I hate you,” Taeyong muttered, side eyeing Doyoung as he tapped out a quick:

TY_Track: Gotta run. I’ll talk to you tonight
NaYut: <3 bye~

To Taeyong it felt like their parties increased ten fold after his graduation. Doyoung and Jaehyun both had jobs over the summer and Taeyong was busy building up his portfolio and submitting applications to various studios around Tokyo and Osaka. Still the trio met up at least twice a week to enjoy each other’s company and at least three times a month to go out.

“I feel like you’re trying to get me drunk,” Taeyong commented to Doyoung as he watched Jaehyun pour them both another drink.

“Not a chance. Besides didn’t you say Yuta and his friends are avid partiers? This is just to get you ready.” Actually it was all to get Doyoung drunk enough to confess his feelings before it was too late.

It was too late.

“Are you sure you want to be here?” Taeyong asked, rolling up another shirt and placing it into his suitcase. He’d been accepted to a small manga studio a 35 minute train ride from where Yuta lived just in time for the big move, “Don’t you have classes starting tomorrow?”

“I don’t have Monday classes,” Doyoung clicked his tongue, “And even if I did of course I’m going to spend the night with my friend before he moves away forever.”

“It’s not forever ,” Jaehyun corrected.

“If you’re going to be here then at least help,” Taeyong, chuckling, threw a few articles of clothing Doyoung’s way.  

“I changed my mind, I can’t wait for you to be gone. Forever.”

“Still not forever,” Jaehyun hummed with is own laugh, “You’ll let us come visit sometimes right?”

“Anytime Jaehyun. I honestly wish you both could come with me now. I’m pretty sure Yuta’s friends are going to eat me alive.” They’d already been talking about some sort of inauguration and bar hopping to at least three places that first weekend after Taeyong settled in. With little more than a few university parties and some drunk nights in Jaehyun and Doyoung’s dorm playing video games, Taeyong felt completely unprepared for whatever Yuta’s crew had lined up for him.

“You’ll be okay,” Jaehyun beamed, setting down the pair of jeans in lieu of nudging Taeyong’s arm affectionately, “You can make it through anything.”

“I hope so.”

Jaehyun was a lot more reassuring that Yuta’s multiple, emoji-filled messages with a similar sentiment. But that didn’t surprise Taeyong much. Neither did the way he missed Doyoung’s sharp wit and gentle chiding after the two had taken their leave on the promise of escorting him to the airport the next morning. Taeyong let out a long breath, making his way through his uncle’s house to take in the family photos, the fraying carpet, the worn down cushions one final time.

When he finally returned to his room, after taking another long look at the books and photo albums and trinkets he couldn’t comfortably pack, he found a message on his phone.

NaYut: D-1! Are you excited?

Yes , Taeyong wanted to send back. He was truly excited. But his stomach felt too twisted and the lump in his throat too large for him to want to type that back.

TY_Track: I’m a little nervous....
NaYut: Oh no!
NaYut: That’s normal though. Even I was nervous moving from Osaka to Tokyo and that’s in the same country.
NaYut: I couldn’t imagine moving countries like you are.
TY_Track: . . . didn’t you tell me you’d move here in a heartbeat for me on the first day we met irl?
NaYut: Second day. Thank you very much. And I would, but I don’t have to because you’re coming here :)
TY_Track: Not helpful. . .
NaYut: What has you worried? Family? Friends?
TY_Track: Both? I’ll miss them a lot. I always knew I would but now it’s so real.
NaYut: You’ll be able to see them soon. It’ll only be a few months and then we’ll be back visiting Korea together (。・ω・。)
TY_Track: I know..
NaYut: I’m not sure what to say that’ll make you feel any better but…
NaYut: I’m excited to have you here. And I’m excited for you to start working at the studio
NaYut: I’ve been reading all of their published works in anticipation! !
NaYut: Can’t wait to see you in their next magazine!
TY_Track: Omg it’s not going to be that fast…
NaYut: Still :)
NaYut: Whatever you need me to do to make the transition easy for you just tell me okay?
NaYut: You can count on me! ! d(>_< )Good!!

Taeyong let out a sigh. Yuta was so cute…

TY_Track: I know :)
TY_Track: I’m going to sleep now. I’ll see you tomorrow
NaYut: See you then~!
NaYut: Try not to worry too much (more than I know you already will)
NaYut: We’ll do it together :) You’re not alone. I’ll help you.

x

Waking up to Yuta’s last three messages helped Taeyong considerably. He was able to choke back the tears when saying goodbye to his cousins and uncle and only had to dab his eyes once or twice on the train ride with his best friends.

“I’ll miss you both,” He offered up sheepishly, sharp eyes on his baggage though they flit up to his friends’ faces as much as he could manage. “I’ll be back soon! And you can text me how much school .” It took a lot for him but with a deep breath he was able to look Doyoung in the face, “I’ll still help you with your homework. Free of charge to save you the shipping fees.”

Doyoung rolled his eyes, Jaehyun laughed, and they both hit Taeyong in the arm.

“Good luck,” Jaehyun beamed, stepping up next to Doyoung, “Can’t wait to read your first manga.”

“Don’t be a stranger,” Doyoung added, forcing a smile of his own. It tugged at Taeyong’s heartstrings to see, but then he added, “I’m really proud of you Taeyong. Keep chasing your dreams,” and that was enough to set off the waterworks.

Before he could cry messily in front of them both Taeyong pulled them into a tight hug, whispering soft “thank yous” and “I’ll be home very soon” before he finally swallowed his sadness and took his bags through the gate.

Settling into his seat he dug his phone out of his pocket to see how many messages Yuta had left him this morning.

NaYut: D-Day! D-Day!
NaYut: I’ve cleaned up the whole place for you. It’s spotless, you’ll be so happy!
NaYut: Ok I actually made Hansol clean the place but it’s the same thing right? It’s clean! !
NaYut: I’ll be at the airport when you arrive. You can meet me here.
NaYut sent a photo.

Taeyong smiled to himself, flipping open his Line app to scroll through the string of notifications and look over the map Yuta had attached.

TY_Track: Thanks~
TY_Track: We’re taking off in a minute so I’m turning my phone off.
TY_Track: See you soon
TY_Track: <3

------

A/N: This is the official end of part 1! There are two epilogues on the way! I'm hoping to write a part two and would love feedback on what you want to see happen. Feel free to comment or hit me up on Twitter @/ChibiKadaj :)