Chapter Seven

Bought for The Marriage Bed

CHAPTER SEVEN

Changmin had not long settled Yeonhee for the night when the doorbell rang. She didn’t have to check through the peephole; she knew it was Yunho by the way her skin had started to tingle all over.

She opened the door and stepped aside to allow him to come in, her tone reproving as she said, ‘You should have called to say you were going to visit. Yeonhee just gone down. I don’t want to unsettle her.’

‘I am not here to see Yeonhee right now,’ Yunho said, closing the door behind him.

Changmin  tucked a strand of wayward hair behind one ear and did her best to hold his unwavering gaze.
 
‘W-what did you want to see me about?’

‘Where were you today?’ he asked.

‘Um…why do you ask?’

‘I called you for hours but you didn’t answer.’

‘I am allowed to go out, aren’t I?’ She gave him a hardened look. ‘Or is my being a prisoner part of your stipulations?’

‘No, but I would prefer it if you would keep me informed of where you and Yeonhee will be in case I need to contact you. Do you have a mobile phone?’

‘Yes, but I don’t have it on a lot as it Wakes Yeonhee. she said half truthfully.

‘I have something else I would like to discuss with you,’ he added and, reaching into his coat pocket, took out the magazine Kyuhyun had shown her that morning.

She took it from him with unsteady fingers and placed it on the coffee table without opening it to the damning page.

‘I take it you have already seen it?’ he said.

‘Yes.’

‘And?’

She met his diamond-hard gaze. ‘That was more than a week ago. Besides, you know how these magazines like to blow things out of proportion.’

‘Did you sleep with those men?’

Changmin’s stomach quivered at the steely edge to his tone but she forced herself to respond with a steadiness she was nowhere near feeling. ‘No.’

‘You lying little—’ His mouth snapped shut as if he felt tainted by even uttering the rest of the vilifying sentence.

‘I am not lying,’ she stated quietly.

His jaw tightened and his hands went to fists at his sides. ‘I am going to ask you again where you were today and I expect you to tell me the truth.’

‘I went to the library.’

‘The library?’

She lifted her chin and folded her arms across her chest. ‘Yes, it’s this really boring place full of books where you have to be quiet all the time. I thought I’d check it out, you know, to improve my mind a bit.’

‘You went there all day?’ He looked sceptical.

‘For a big part of it,’ she answered. ‘That’s why my phone was switched off. What did you do all day?’

‘I was working.’

‘Oh, really?’ She gave him an equally sceptical look. ‘Can you prove it?’

He frowned at her. ‘I do not have to prove anything to you.’

She tilted her head at him. ‘Nor do I to you.’

‘If I find out you are lying to me, Changmin, you will be very sorry.’

‘I don’t have to answer to you until we are married,’ she said. ‘And even then I will not tolerate you bossing me around as if I don’t have a mind of my own. Now, if you have finished discussing what you came here to discuss, I think you should leave.’

‘I will leave when I am good and ready.’ He closed the small distance between them, one of his hands going to the wall at the side of her head, his eyes holding hers as his body pressed close.

Too close.

Changmin felt the sharp nudge of desire his sudden closeness evoked, her legs weakening beneath her and her heart thumping erratically behind the wall of her chest. Her s seemed to swell as she pressed her back against the wall, the spicy fragrance of his aftershave teasing her nostrils as he leaned even closer.

‘P-please go away.’ Her voice came out choked.

She felt herself drowning in the fathomless depth of his dark eyes. The silence stretched and stretched until she could hear a faint ringing in her ears. She wondered if he was going to kiss her and her gaze instinctively flicked to his mouth, her heart doing another funny kick-start at the thought of those sensual lips pressed to hers.

Her eyes returned to his and instantly widened as she began to feel the metal of his belt buckle against her stomach and the potent strength of what she could feel was stirring just below. She could feel the energy of his body sending a charge of crackling electricity to hers, making her flesh prickle all over with sensory alertness.

She drew in a shaky breath, her s rising and falling against his chest as her heart began to race. His eyes dipped to , lingering there for endless pulsing seconds before he lifted his hand and traced the contour of her bottom lip with the blunt pad of his thumb, back and forth, slowly, tantalizingly.

Just when she thought she could stand it no longer, he dropped his hand from and stepped back from her, his expression closing over.

‘I will see you tomorrow. What time would be convenient for me to call around?’

It took her several seconds to get her brain back into gear. ‘Um…about this time is good. I’ll be out all day.’
 
He gave her a wry look as he reached for the door. ‘The library again?’

‘Yes…I thought I might read some books to Yeonhee. It’s supposed to be good for language development.’

He looked as if he was going to say something but apparently changed his mind at the last minute. Changmin watched as he opened the door and stepped through, casting her one last inscrutable look as he shut it behind him.

She stared at the door while she waited for her heart rate to return to normal.

Kyuhyun  was right, she thought as she let out a little uneven breath. As far as falling for Jung Yunho went, she was more than halfway there already.

 

Yeonhee was even worse the next morning when Changmin tried to leave the childcare centre. The pitiful cries shredded her nerves and, even though the assistant was just as reassuring and confident as the day before,Changmin felt the full weight of her guilt drag her down as she made her way to the front door, her eyes stinging with the threat of tears.

She didn’t see the tall figure leaning against his car near the front entrance until it was too late. She came to a stumbling halt as Yunho's shadow blocked out the watery sunlight, her heart leaping towards .

‘Y-Yunho…what are you doing here?’

‘I could ask you the very same thing but I already know the answer.’ His dark gaze flicked to the childcare signage behind her. ‘So this is where you relieve yourself of your responsibilities towards Yeonhee, no doubt so you can cavort all day with your lovers.’

‘No…no!It’s not like that at all.’

One dark brow rose in cynicism. ‘Perhaps you would like to explain to me why you have placed my niece in the care of complete strangers.’

‘They’re not exactly strangers,’ Changmin said. ‘They’re highly competent childcare workers.’

His mouth tightened as he took her by the arm. ‘Then we will go and see just how competent they are, shall we?’

Changmin  had no choice but to follow him for his hold, though loose, was under-wired with steely determination. She could feel the latent strength in his long fingers as they circled her wrist.

It wasn’t hard for him to find where Yeonhee was being looked after. Her cries were echoing throughout the building. As they approached the babies’ room Changmin felt the tightening of Yunho’s hold as if his anger was travelling through his body to where it was joined to hers.

‘There, there, Yeonhee,’ the childcare assistant was cooing as she cuddled her. ‘Mummy will be back later…now, now, don’t cry…Oh, hello again, Miss Shim,’ she said as she turned around. ‘I’m afraid your little girl is not settling all that well this morning.’
Changmin took Yeonhee from the woman’s arms and the howling stopped immediately, to be replaced by tiny hiccups and sniffles as the baby clung to her.

‘That’s all right,’ Changmin said. ‘I don’t think I will leave her today, after all.’

‘We can try again tomorrow, if you like,’ the woman suggested. ‘As I said the other day, lots of babies find separation from mum hard at first but they soon get used to it.’

‘Miss Shim will not need your services any more,' Yunho announced in clipped tones. ‘We have made other arrangements.’

The woman’s eyebrows rose slightly and Changmin hastily inserted, ‘This is my…fiancé, Jung Yunho.'

‘Oh…well, then…’ The woman gave a slightly flustered smile.

‘Come on,cara .’ Yunho took Changmin's arm and escorted her to the door.

Changmin waited until they were outside before she him crossly. ‘You had no right to cancel my arrangements like that!’

He gave her a glowering look as he unlocked his car. ‘Your arrangements were putting my niece at risk. Look at her. She has obviously been crying hysterically; she is feverish and over-tired.’ He took the baby from her arms and cuddled her close, glaring over the top of her head at Changmin. ‘I cannot believe you would be so insensitive to leave a clearly distraught baby with total strangers.’

‘Oh, for God’s sake!’ She let out a frustrated breath. ‘Get into the real world, Yunho. Mothers all over the world put their children into childcare. They need to in order to work.’

‘But you do not work so it is not necessary for you to engage such services.’ He turned away to secure Yeonhee in her baby seat in the car.

‘How did you know I was here?’ she asked after a moment of silence. ‘Were you following me?’

He straightened from settling Yeonhee. ‘In the light of that magazine article, I decided it was wise to keep some tabs on you.’

She gnawed at her bottom lip and then began uncertainly, ‘Yunho…’ She tried not to be put off by his stern expression and continued, ‘I haven’t been completely truthful to you. I…I have a job.’

‘What sort of job?’

‘One that pays me money.’

‘That certainly narrows it down a bit,’ he commented dryly. ‘What sort of work do you do?’

‘I’m a librarian.’

She saw the flicker of surprise come and go in his dark gaze as it held hers. ‘Yoochun did not mention it.’

‘Yoochun didn’t know. It’s been a…recent thing. I wanted to improve myself…for Yeonhee’s sake.’

‘Doesn’t one have to study at university in order to be a librarian?’

‘Er…yes, I did that a few years ago…before I…you know…went off the rails a bit.’

Changmin  knew she was skating on ever thinning ice. She could see the suspicion growing in his eyes as he watched her.

‘How important is this job to you?’ he asked after a small pause.

She looked at the now sleeping baby in her baby seat in the back. ‘Not as important as Yeonhee.’ she answered softly.

Yunho drew in a breath and opened the passenger door for her. ‘Get in. We will talk about this later.’

Changmin slipped into the seat and clipped on her belt, all the time wondering if she had blown it. She hoped not, for the thought of never seeing her niece again was unbearably painful.

She spent the rest of the silent journey wondering how she was going to maintain her charade. When she looked up she saw that they were not at her flat but in the driveway of an imposing looking mansion in the exclusive harbourside suburb of Mosman.

She turned in her seat to look at him. ‘This is your house?’

He looked at her for so long without responding that she wondered if she had just made another slip. She’d always assumed that Jaejoong had met Yoochun in hotels but it suddenly occurred to her that perhaps she had visited him at home—this home.

‘Do you not remember coming here?’ he asked.

She disguised a nervous swallow. ‘It looks vaguely familiar,’ she hedged.

The line of his mouth thinned in anger. ‘You appear to have a very convenient memory pattern, Changmin. You simply delete the things you find distasteful to recall.’ He got out of the car and came around to open her door, his expression still tight with fury. ‘Let me remind you, then. You came here the night before Yoochun was killed, banging on the door and making a general nuisance of yourself. God knows where you had left Yeonhee. My brother had no choice but to let you in and once inside you tried to seduce him.’ His dark eyes glittered dangerously. ‘Remember now?’

She opened and closed , not sure how to answer.

‘I could go into more detail if you would like,’ he added. ‘Or are you starting to remember all by yourself?’

‘I don’t need you to tell me how dreadfully I behaved,’ she said, lowering her gaze. ‘I was…upset and lonely, and I didn’t know which way to turn.’

Yunho watched her in silence, wondering if he was being too harsh. There was so much about her that was confusing. Just when he thought he had her all figured out she would go and do something that would contradict his assessment of her. Lately he had even started to question all his brother had told him, wondering if Yoochun had deliberately painted a worse picture in order to exonerate himself from any wrong doing on his part.

Having a baby without the support of the father was undoubtedly a stressful, worrying experience and, although her behaviour had been outrageous, a part of him wanted to find an excuse so that he didn’t have to hate her quite so strenuously. It had only been just over four months since she’d given birth; she might even be suffering from some sort of hormonal imbalance and the last thing she needed was the heavy hand of judgement. It intrigued him that she could be so shallow one minute and yet so devoted to her daughter the next. Unless it was all an act for his benefit, he knew he would have a fight on his hands convincing any magistrate she wasn’t a fit mother. The truth was, as far as he could tell so far, she was a wonderful mother. The very fact that she had tried to juggle work and childcare in order to provide for her daughter without a handout from him, even though he’d offered it, surely demonstrated that she was keen to turn her bad reputation around.

‘It is pointless discussing it now,’ he said. ‘What is done is done and cannot be undone.’

As they approached the large front door of his house a woman in her late fifties and of Italian descent appeared in its frame. She greeted her employer with deference but the look she cast Changmin's way would have curdled milk.

Yunho spoke to her in Italian but, to Changmin’s surprise, he didn’t say anything remotely derogatory about her. He simply informed the housekeeper of his plan to marry within the next few days and that Changmin and Yeonhee were to be made as comfortable as possible.

The woman muttered something Changmin didn’t quite catch and Yunho admonished her. ‘Yes, Lucia, I do know what I am doing and why I am doing it. You will treat both Changmin and Yeonhee with respect at all times.’

The housekeeper grunted something in reply and sidled away as Yunho turned to Changmin. ‘Just as well you do not understand my language,’ he said. ‘You have not made a good impression, it seems.’

‘No, I imagine not.’

She followed him inside and tried not to look too much in awe of her surroundings, but it was impossible at times not to openly gasp at the priceless works of art which hung from every wall and the plush furnishings that spoke of unlimited wealth.

‘I will have Lucia bring us coffee shortly,’ Yunho informed her as he opened the double doors leading to a formal sitting room. ‘But first I would like to speak to you about the arrangements I have made for our marriage.’

Changmin followed him into the room, watching as he repositioned Yeonhee, who was still fast asleep in his arms. He indicated for her to be seated and once she had sunk to the sofa he too sat down, his long legs stretching out in front of him as he tucked Yeonhee close to his chest.

‘I have to go to Hong Kong on business,’ he said. ‘I will be away until the day before our wedding.’

‘I see.’

‘I would like you to move in here while I am away to settle Yeonhee  into her new home. Lucia can help you with Yeonhee so you can continue to work, if that is what you would like to do, although you will need to take some leave of absence, as the day after the wedding we will be leaving for a short trip to Sorrento in Italy to visit my father.’

Changmin had to stop herself from springing off the sofa in agitation. She stared at him in shock and consternation. She couldn’t leave the country with a child that wasn’t hers! And, even if she dared to do so and wasn’t stopped, how would she cope with a long-haul flight after what had happened the last time she’d flown? Her flight home from a friend’s wedding in Auckland had hit severe turbulence during a storm. It had been the most frightening experience of her life and she had not flown since. The mere thought of boarding a plane made her break out in a sweat, but boarding it with a small child in tow could only be a hundred times worse.

‘I—I can’t go,’ she said. ‘I don’t like flying.’

‘Oh, really?’ He gave her one of his cynical looks. ‘Is this a recent thing?’

‘Yes. I had a bad experience three years ago.’

‘But I assume not bad enough to prevent you from flying to Paris last year to hound Yoochun,’ he observed.

Changmin had forgotten all about Jaejoong’s trip to Paris.

‘I…It comes and goes. The fear, I mean. Sometimes I’m fine, other times I get all panicky.’

‘Well, perhaps flying in my private jet with my staff to wait on you will alleviate some of your fears,’ he said coolly. ‘I will need your and Yeonhee's passports to make the travel arrangements.’

‘I would really prefer not to go.’ She got to her feet and began to pace back and forth. ‘I have to work.’

‘I think in the interests of Yeonhee you might consider taking leave from work. Most new mothers take a few months off. I am providing you with a generous allowance, so unless you are in particular need of any mental stimulation your job provides, I would suggest taking a break.’

Changmin wished she could tell him what to do with his money but unless she went along with Jaejoong's plan everything she had fought so hard for would be lost.

‘What am I supposed to do with my time?’ she asked after a moment or two of silence.

‘Look after your child,’ he answered. ‘I do not expect you to do so all on your own, of course. I will help whenever I can and so too will Lucia. She is an experienced mother and grandmother and will do an exemplary job of minding Yeonhee whenever the need arises.’

‘I don’t want to live here until absolutely necessary.’

‘You have no choice, Changmin. I have already contacted your landlord and informed him you will be terminating your lease as of tomorrow.’

‘You had no right to do that!’

‘I have every right. I will be your husband in a matter of days. I would be failing in my duty to protect both you and Yeonhee if I did not ensure you were safely housed in my home as we begin our life together.’

‘You’re only doing it because you don’t trust me, so don’t insult me by pretending anything else,’ she spat.

‘You are correct. I do not trust you. As soon as my back is turned, no doubt you will be off with one of your men friends, but this way I get to keep Yeonhee safe.’

‘You make it sound as if I mean to do her harm.’

He held her fiery gaze with equanimity. ‘You may not intentionally mean to do so but your erratic, irresponsible behaviour of the past indicates you do not always act in her best interests.’

‘It seems I have little choice in all of this. You have organised it all without consulting me.’

‘All I have arranged was what we agreed on. We will live as man and wife and jointly raise Yeonhee until such time as we both feel the marriage is no longer viable.’

‘It’s not viable now! We hate the sight of each other; what sort of marriage is that going to be?’

There was a knock at the door and the housekeeper came in bearing a tray of coffee and biscotti. Yunho exchanged a few words with her and she left with a black look cast in Changmin’s direction.

‘Do not take any notice,’ Yunho said once the housekeeper had left. ‘She had rather a soft spot for my brother.’

‘So, like you, she blames me for his death?’

Yunho gave her a studied look before responding. ‘It is hard sometimes for those who are still grieving to see the other side of the story.’ He glanced down at the sleeping infant in his arms and added, ‘It cannot have been easy for you, left alone with a child to raise without her father’s support.’ He lifted his eyes to hers and asked, ‘Did you ever consider an abortion?’

‘I—I was talked out of it.’

‘By whom?’

Changmin looked at her hands in her lap. ‘By someone who has done her best to support me through my difficult years.’

‘A close friend?’

‘More than a close friend,’ she said. ‘More like…a sister.’

There was a small silence.

‘I am glad you did not get rid of her, Changmin,’ he said. ‘Yeonhee is my last link with my brother. Thank you for having her. I know it cannot have been easy, but I cannot tell you how much it will mean to my father to hold Yoochun’s child in his arms.’

Changmin gave him a weak smile as she reached for her cup, her stomach fluttering nervously at the thought how complicated her life had become. Within days she would be married to Jung Yunho, living with him and jointly raising Yeonhee as their child.

For now her secret was safe—but how long was it going to be before he realised he had married the wrong woman?