Chapter Three

Bought for The Marriage Bed

CHAPTER THREE

Yunho gave an inward smile at her overblown confidence. She was just as Yoochun had described, all pouting little girl one minute, raging siren the next. It was a heady combination, he had to admit, but while Yoochun hadn’t been able to contain his desire for her, temporary as it had been, Yunho felt confident he was in no danger of being tested beyond his control. Shim Changmin was the total opposite of what he most wanted in a partner.

He loathed shallow money-hungry women who had nothing better to do than preen themselves in the hope of attracting a rich husband. He’d been surrounded by them for most of his life, with the exception of his French-born mother, who had had both style and grace without affectation.

No, Miss Changmin/Jaejoong was fooling herself if she thought he would fall for her physical charms.

‘I am not like my brother, Miss Shim,’ he informed her coldly. ‘My tastes are a little more upmarket.’

Changmin wished she could slap that imperious smirk off his handsome face but knew there would probably be distasteful consequences if she did. She clenched her hands into fists and glared back at him.

‘I could make you eat those words and we both know it. I saw the way you ran your eyes all over me the moment I opened the door.’

‘I admit I was a little intrigued as to what made my brother act so incautiously.’ His lazy look took in her heaving chest and feisty gaze. ‘But I can assure you I have no appetite for vacuous women such as yourself.’

Changmin schooled her features back under control with difficulty. ‘I take it this marriage arrangement you’re proposing leaves you free to liaise with whomever you want whenever you want?’

‘I will do my best to be discreet if the need should arise.’

‘What about me?’ she asked. ‘Am I allowed to indulge myself similarly?’

He didn’t answer immediately but she could almost hear the cogs of his brain ticking over as he considered her question.

‘Well?’ she prodded with an arch look.

‘No.’

‘No?’

He shook his head in slow motion, ‘Absolutely not.’

‘You can’t possibly be serious.’ She snapped her brows together again.

‘Deadly serious,’ he said and folded his arms across the broad expanse of his chest.

‘You surely don’t expect me to agree to such a double standard?’ she asked. ‘What am I supposed to get out of this arrangement?’

‘You get to keep your child, with a rich husband thrown in as a bonus.’
 

She let out her breath in a whoosh of feminist outrage. ‘I thought men like you died along with the dinosaurs. Seems I was wrong. So, how are things on Planet Chauvinism these days?’

‘I am not by nature a chauvinist but I am sure it will do you good to be celibate for a while to concentrate on your responsibilities as a mother.’

Ironic laughter bubbled to her lips before she could stop it. Unlike her sister, who had lost her ity at the age of fourteen, Changmin was technically still a . Technically because she firmly believed every modern woman had the right to explore her own body and find out how things worked, although she still wondered what all the fuss was about. The earth hadn’t exactly moved and she’d more or less given up on herself, deciding she was one of those women with unusually low -drives. But on principle she wasn’t going to let him have things all his way. He already thought her the biggest tart outside of the red-light district and a erse little part of her was enjoying every dangerous minute of encouraging him to maintain that view.

‘You find the prospect of being responsible amusing?’ His tone dripped with contempt.

She coiled a strand of her long hair around one finger, hoping he wouldn’t notice her chewed nail as she affected another seductive pose.

‘You’re a laugh a minute, Mr Jung,’ she said. ‘All this talk of being celibate is hilarious. I haven’t been celibate for ten years and I’m not about to start for you or anyone.’

Anger briefly flashed across his features as he looked down at her. Changmin saw his hands tighten into fists as if he didn’t trust himself not to reach out and touch her.

A flicker of sensation unexpectedly erupted between her thighs at the mere thought of any part of his tall hard body touching her. She began to imagine what that firm disapproving mouth would feel like crushed to hers, his tongue searching arrogantly to duel with hers. She felt her s start to tingle and, almost without realising she was doing it, her tongue came out just a fraction to sweep over the surface of her lips.

Yunho felt the sharp tug of sudden errant desire hit him in the belly like a closed fist punch. He struggled to control it, annoyed with himself for being tempted when he’d been so assured that he would be able to resist her, but something about her struck at him deeply. She positively oozed with ual confidence, the smoky grey of her eyes and full-lipped mouth making his skin lift in anticipation of feeling her touch.

He decided to strike a deal with her even though he had cause to wonder if he was shooting himself in the foot in the process.

‘Since you seem unwilling to agree to my terms, I am willing to make a small compromise,’ he announced. ‘For the period of one month following our marriage we will both remain celibate; how about that?’

She pursed her lips as if considering it. ‘One month? Hmm…I think I could just about manage that.’

His jaw tightened and she gave him another y smile. ‘But no longer or I’ll go out of my mind. But then, from what I hear of you—’ she ran her eyes over him from head to foot as if undressing him thread by thread ‘—maybe you will too.’

‘I think I will manage to contain myself,’ he responded coolly.

‘I take it you don’t have a current mistress?’ She sent him a lash-fluttering glance.

‘I am not currently close to anyone.’

Changmin couldn’t help wondering how good he might be when he was close. He was the whole knee-trembling spine-loosening package, even though it irked her to admit it. He was handsome beyond belief, his dark mesmerizing eyes promising explosive passion from within their glittering depths. His mouth was currently stretched into a hardened line of derision but she was in no doubt of its power to persuade if he allowed himself a moment of weakness and brought his head down to hers.

The pram near the window suddenly gave a squeak of protest as Yeonhee shifted in her sleep.

Yunho swung his gaze to the pram before turning back to face Changmin, his voice low and deep with concern. ‘Is she all right?’

Sending him a now-see-what-you’ve-done look, Changmin went over to soothe her. The mewing cries stopped as soon as her hand Yeonhee's tiny legs, the gentle rhythmic movements sending the infant back to sleep within a couple of minutes.

Changmin  was intensely aware of the watchful gaze of Jung Yunho a short distance away. She could almost sense his cool assessment of her, no doubt weighing up her skills as a mother.

Once she was sure the baby was soundly asleep she turned and faced him, her grey eyes meeting his with as much equanimity as she could.

‘You said earlier you intended to marry within two weeks. Why the hurry?’

‘My father is terminally ill. He wishes to see his only grandchild before he dies. There is not much time.’

‘A fortnight isn’t very long.’ She gave her bottom lip a surreptitious nibble.

‘I will see to all the details. You do not have to do anything but turn up at the registry office.’

Changmin  knew it was pathetic of her to be feeling disappointed, but if by some quirk of fate she had to go through with this, her lifelong dream of a beautiful white wedding in a city cathedral was going to have to be shelved indefinitely.

‘But what about a dress?’ she asked, trying not to think of Jung Yunho's motives for marrying her.

‘I have no real interest in what sort of outfit you wear,’ he said. ‘However, I do think it would be highly inappropriate of you to wear white.’ His eyes flicked to the pram and back again. ‘Don’t you?’

She held his gaze for as long as she dared. ‘I happen to like wearing white. It suits my colouring.’

Yunho was certain she’d still look stunning even if she was covered from head to foot in a nun’s habit. Her come-to-bed eyes had tugged far too many men into their seductive orbit and he had to make sure he didn’t join their number.

‘Wear what you like; the ceremony will be over within minutes anyway. I will make an appointment with lawyer to draw up the necessary paperwork.’ He made a move towards the door, slanting a warning look her way. ‘I should remind you at this point that if you wish to pull out of the deal I will have no choice but to activate proceedings to remove Yeonhee permanently from your custody. And do not think I cannot do it, for I assure you I can and will if I need to.’

Changmin wished she could throw his threat back at him but the thought of losing her niece was just too wrenching. She knew he only had to see those fading but still present bruises on Yeonhee’s tiny chest for the fight to be over right here and now.

She only hoped that maybe in time Yunho would see how much she too loved the baby and wanted the best for her. But what would he do if or when he found out the truth?

‘I won’t pull out of the deal,’ she said, wishing her voice hadn’t sounded quite so hollow.

‘No, I imagine not.’ His eyes held hers with a caution reflected in their glittering depths ‘I will, of course, be providing you with an allowance for the duration of our marriage.’

Changmin instantly stiffened, but for some reason couldn’t find her voice.

‘What will you do with all that money to spend, I wonder?’ he mused insultingly.

She gave him one of her sister’s casual shrugs. ‘Shop and shop and shop, probably.’

Yunho’s lip curled distastefully. ‘You are a complete and utter sybarite. Have you ever done a decent day’s work in your life?’

‘Work?’ She wrinkled her nose in repugnance. ‘Why work when you can have fun instead?’

‘I must be out of my mind,’ he muttered under his breath. ‘You sicken me. I can hardly believe you lured my brother away from Hana. She postponed the wedding because of you. If you hadn’t come along when you did, Yoochun—’

‘How typical to blame the woman in the middle,’ she shot back furiously on her sister’s behalf. ‘He didn’t have to sleep with me; he could always have said no.’

‘You hounded him for months,’ he tossed back. ‘He told me how determined you were, how it became impossible to keep you at arm’s length.’

‘I think I can safely say he enjoyed it while it lasted. And I bet you would too. I can guarantee it.’

‘Sorry to disappoint you, but that will not be happening. You know the score and if you put one foot out of place I will use all the weapons at my disposal.’

Changmin could well believe it. He quite possibly had cards up his sleeve that could prove to be a little too tactical for her liking. She had two weeks to think of a way out and she was going to do her best to find one, for it was becoming increasingly clear she was seriously outmatched in her opponent.

‘Will any of your relatives be attending the ceremony?’ she asked in an effort to hide her disquiet.

‘No, my father is unable to travel and my mother is…’He hesitated slightly before continuing. ‘She died a couple of years ago.’

Changmin couldn’t help feeling a wave of sympathy for his father, who had been dealt a double blow of grief in losing his son so close to the death of his wife. She imagined Yunho was dealing with overwhelming grief too and it made her anger towards his treatment of her soften around the edges.

‘It must be a very difficult time for you all,’ she said gently.

Yunho threw her a look of disgust. ‘How dare you offer sympathy when if it had not been for you, my brother would still be alive?’

Changmin  stared at him in shock. This was getting even worse than a nightmare. What did he mean?

‘That’s a heavy accusation,’ she managed to get out. ‘Exactly what evidence do you have to substantiate it?’

‘You were the last person to see Yoochun before he went to pick up Hana from the airport.’

Changmin hadn’t known that little detail and wondered why her sister hadn’t mentioned it.

‘So?’ She made her voice sound as unconcerned as possible even though her stomach was rolling in consternation.

‘Hana was understandably upset at what had gone on whilst she had been in Milan visiting her family the first time,’ he said. ‘She was threatening to call off the wedding altogether but Yoochun was adamant that his involvement with you had ceased. She knew about the baby and it caused a great deal of trouble between them, as she was concerned about him having further contact with you. She lived long enough after the accident to tell me that Yoochun had been on edge when he arrived to pick her up, as you had visited him the night before making your usual outrageous demands. He had not slept well after you left and his concentration was all over the place. A truck ran a red light and he did not have the necessary reaction time to avoid the collision.’

‘And you think that’s my fault?’ Changmin asked tightly. ‘I wasn’t driving the truck!’

‘You might as well have been, as far as I am concern. Yoochun was deeply ashamed of himself for getting involved with you. It almost destroyed his relationship with Hana.’

‘He should have thought about the consequences before he gave me the come-on,’ she threw back.

‘Have you not got that the wrong way around?’ he asked with a flash of black eyes. ‘It was not Yoochun who was lying in the hotel bed that first night—it was you.’

Changmin did her best to hide her shock at his statement. There was so much she didn’t know and the further she became embroiled in this farce the harder it was to maintain her cover. Jaejoong had told her virtually nothing, which meant she now had to lie her way through this emotional minefield.

Lie after lie after lie.

She’d read somewhere that if a person were to tell one lie they then had to go on and tell thousands to keep that single one in place. Now she could well believe it.

‘So?’ She tried the casual tone again. ‘He could have said no.’

‘There are very few men who could say no when such temptation is dangled in front of them,’ he said, raking his gaze over her once more.

Changmin tilted her head at him provocatively. ‘So you admit to being a little tempted yourself?’

His hand left the doorknob as he strode back across the room to stand in front of her, his expression so full of hatred she had to force herself not to step backwards to escape the heat of it coming off him in scorching waves.

His eyes burned down into hers forcefully, the inky depths glittering as if he was only just managing to keep his temper under control.

‘You might have the body of a goddess and the face of an angel but I would not touch you even if you held the key to life itself,’ he ground out heavily.

Injured feminine pride made Changmin hitch up her chin another fraction, her eyes issuing him a challenge she knew deep inside she should not be issuing but she just couldn’t help it. How dare he dismiss her so confidently?

‘Want to lay a bet on that, big boy? Put your money where your mouth is—so to speak.’

The line of his mouth grew even tighter until his lips appeared almost white. Changmin could tell she had taken things a little too far but it was too late to back out now.

‘All right.’ He finally released his breath. ‘I will lay a bet on it. If I touch you other than in the most casual way during our marriage, you win the bet. I will double your allowance on the spot.’

She suddenly realised that Jaejoong would have asked how much he intended giving her by now but it simply hadn’t occurred to Changmin to do so.

‘Um…how much are you intending to pay me?’

‘Much more than you are worth, I can assure you.’

Her eyes burned with seething hatred at his denigration, everything inside her quaking with anger until she could barely stand still. She felt it rumbling in her stomach, flash-flooding her veins as it was carried to every single cell of her body.

‘That remains to be seen,’ she said in Jaejoong’s confident flirty tone even though her teeth were being ground to powder behind her seductive smile.

His midnight eyes gleamed with confidence as he looked down at her, the small smile that was playing on his lips a combination of both mockery and challenge.

‘Go ahead, Miss Shim, go ahead and make me pay.’

She opened to respond but before she could get the words out the door opened under his hand and he stepped through and closed it behind him with an ominous click of the lock as it fell back into place.

She stared at the door for a moment or two, her stomach in tight knots of panic, her head throbbing with tension and her legs trembling at the thought of what she’d just done.

She turned and leaned heavily on the arm of the old sofa, her frazzled brain trying to find a satisfactory way out of her predicament.

If she told him who she really was he would have even more reason to claim Yeonhee, for she could hardly provide for her the way he obviously could and, with Jaejoong already abandoning her daughter, what hope would there be of fighting back?

But marrying him?

Her heart gave another heavy thump of panic at the thought of being formally tied to him in marriage, all the time having to keep her true identity a secret. But unless Jaejoong reappeared and claimed her daughter, Changmin knew she was going to have to continue with the charade for as long as necessary. What other choice was there? Yeonhee needed her. She couldn’t let her down.

Two weeks…that was all she had and it wasn’t anywhere near long enough.

She gave a tiny shiver as she thought of him towering over her the way he had, his eyes aflame with dislike. He was ruthlessness and power personified; he was used to simply paying for any obstacles in his path to be removed and she would be the first to be crushed beneath his well-heeled foot.

She gave a little jump when the telephone rang on the small table beside her and, reaching out a still shaking hand, picked up the receiver and held it to her ear.

‘Changmin?’ Jaejoong’s voice rang out airily. ‘I thought I’d call you en route. I’m in Singapore for a couple of hours while the plane refuels.’

‘Do you have any idea of what you’ve done?' Changmin choked, clutching at the receiver with both hands.

‘I know you don’t approve of me leaving Yeonhee,’ Jaejoong said. ‘But quite frankly I don’t care. I want—’

‘Will you shut up and listen to me?’ Changmin bit out. ‘How could you do that to your own daughter? Not only did you abandon her but you hurt her!’

‘Look.’ Jaejoong’s tone hardened. ‘She was crying for ages while you were out. It drove me nuts.’

Changmin’s stomach churned at the thought of the abuse happening under her very own roof.

‘She’s a defenceless child. You were one once; don’t you remember what it feels like to be so vulnerable?’

‘I don’t remember a thing, so drop it, OK?’

Changmin sighed with frustration. Her twin was an expert at burying her head when things got tough. There was nothing she could say or do to change the habits of a lifetime. Her sister was damaged and all she could do now was accept it and do what she could to protect Yeonhee from repeating the pattern in her own life.

‘Any news from Yoochun's people?' Jaejoong asked as casually as if asking what the afternoon’s weather had been like in her absence.

‘He came here,’ Changmin said through clenched teeth.

‘Who?’

‘You damn well know who!’ She felt close to screaming. ' Jung in-your-face Yunho.’

‘I thought he might.’

‘How can you be so casual about this?’ Changmin cried. ‘He thinks I’m you, for God’s sake!’

Jaejoong hooted with laughter. ‘Does he really? How amusing.’

‘Well, guess what—I’m not laughing,’ Changmin ground out. ‘And you’d better get back here as soon as you can and sort it out.’

‘I’m not coming back,’ Jaejoong said determinedly. ‘Hyun Joong is expecting me in LA tomorrow. Why don’t you just tell him who you are and be done with it?’

Jaejoong whooshed out a breath. ‘Because he wants Yeonhee, that’s why.’

‘Does he now?’ Jaejoong’s sugar-sweet voice grated along Changmin’s shredded nerves. ‘So the photograph did the trick then.’

‘What do you mean?’

Changmin heard the sound of her sister’s long artificial nails tapping a nearby surface as if she was mentally planning something.

‘He’ll have to pay, of course, but it’s where she belongs anyway. Think of how rich she’ll be when she comes of age, an entire family of billionaire merchant bankers to call on for a loan or two.’

‘I can’t believe you can be so unfeeling about this,' Changmin said reproachfully. ‘Do you know what he means to do?’

‘What?' Jaejoong's tone sounded bored.

‘He’s forcing me—I mean you—to marry him, which is really me because you’ve flown the coop and he doesn’t realise it, and I’m up to my neck in lies and I don’t know if I can face it because I have no idea how to handle men like Jung Yunho and I have work commitments and no childcare and—’

‘Whoa!’ Jaejoong interjected. ‘Slow down; you lost me at the marriage bit. What do you mean he wants to marry you?’

‘Not me—you!’ Changmin shrilled. ‘He thinks he’s forcing you into a paper marriage.’

‘A paper marriage?’

‘He wants to adopt Yeonher and is prepared to marry me—I mean you— to do it.’

 'and you agreed?’ Jaejoong sounded surprised.

‘He didn’t really leave me with much choice,’ Changmin answered resentfully. ‘He threatened to expose you as an incompetent mother and you gave him all the evidence he needed by hurting Yeonhee the way you did. It was just pure luck that he didn’t notice—’

‘What’s he paying you?' Jaejoong asked.

Changmin gritted her teeth at her sister’s total lack of remorse. How could Jaejoong be more concerned about money than her own baby?

‘Even if I have to starve I am not taking his money,’ she bit out. ‘He thinks he can buy me but no way is some overindulged playboy going to—’

‘Tell him you’ve changed your mind,’ Jaejoong said, interrupting her again. ‘Tell him you want ten million.’

‘Ten million?’Changmin shrieked. ‘I will do no such—’

‘Then you’re a fool,’ Jaejoong said. ‘He’s a billionaire, Changmin. You can name your price. He’ll pay it.’

‘No, absolutely not. This marriage thing is bad enough.’ She let out a ragged breath and added, ‘Besides, I feel sick at the thought of what he’s going to do when he finds out he’s got the wrong person.’

‘Don’t tell him.’

‘What?’ Changmin squeaked. ‘You expect me to go through with it?’

‘You Want Yeonhee, don’t you?’ Jaejoong said. ‘Here’s your chance to keep her with a whole trailer load of money thrown in. In fact, if you play your cards right we could both really scoop up big time on this.’

Changmin didn’t care too much for her twin’s mercenary tone. ‘What do you mean?’

Jaejoong gave a soft little chuckle that sent a river of unease up her spine. ‘You are about to marry a billionaire. You will have access to cash, lots and lots of cash. I’ve been doing some checking up on Hyun Joong and he’s not quite in the same league as your Yunho. But we can make up for that with some clever accounting on your part once you are married.’
Changmin cleared the blockage in her tight throat. ‘Jaejoong, I can’t marry Jung Yunho! It wouldn’t be legal!’

‘Who’s going to know?' Jaejoong asked airily. ‘As far as I recall, I didn’t tell Yoochun I had a twin, so his brother is unlikely to ever find out unless you tell him or he sees us together, which is hardly likely as I’m going to be on the other side of the globe. No, the more I think about this the better it sounds. We both stand to benefit. You get to keep Yeonhee and I get compensated by a regular income provided by your very rich husband.’

Changmin felt her stomach drop in panic. 'Jaejoong, please don’t do this to me. I can’t marry a man who hates the very air I breathe!’

‘He doesn’t hate you, he hates me,’ Jaejoong pointed out. ‘Anyway, once he gets to know you he might even fancy you, or at least he might if you’d whack on a bit of make-up and something other than a shapeless tracksuit from time to time.’

‘I can’t afford the sort of scraps of fabric you usually pipe yourself into,’ Changmin said sourly.

‘Come on, Changmin. Think about it. This is a chance in a lifetime. You’ve always wanted to get married and have kids. What are you complaining about?’

‘I would have liked to choose the groom for myself, that’s what I’m complaining about!’ Changmin shot back. ‘And I wanted a church wedding, not some hole and corner affair at the local registry office.’

‘You’re such a hopeless romantic. Do you think a marriage has any more hope of survival if it’s performed in a church? Come on—get in the real world, Changmin. Marrying a billionaire should more than make up for the absence of a dress and veil and the blessing of a priest.’

‘Yeah, well, somehow it just doesn’t,’ she answered. ‘I wanted more out of life than a rich husband.’

‘You could spend your whole life looking for love like our mother did and, just like her, never find it,’ Jaejoong said. ‘If I were you I’d grasp at this with both hands and make the most of it.’

‘But I’m not you, am I?’ Changmin reminded her coolly.

‘No.’ A hint of amusement entered Jaejoong's voice again. ‘But Jung Yunho doesn’t know that, does he?’