Chapter Two

Bought for The Marriage Bed

CHAPTER TWO

Changmin had not long fed and settled Georgia on Monday morning when the doorbell rang. Giving the small neat room a quick glance, she made her way across the threadbare carpet, wondering what it was that her elderly neighbour wanted now. Choi Minho had already borrowed a carton of milk and half a packet of plain biscuits and it wasn’t even lunch time.

She opened the door as she plastered a welcoming smile on her face but it instantly faded as her gaze shifted a long way upwards to meet a pair of dark, almost black, eyes.

‘Miss Shim?’

‘I…yes,’ she answered, unconsciously putting a hand up to .

The tall figure standing before her was even more arresting in the flesh than the grainy newspaper photo had portrayed. He was taller than average, well over six feet, his shoulders broad and his overall stance nothing short of commanding. The hard angle of his lean clean-shaven jaw hinted at a streak of intractability in his personality, and his eyes held no trace of friendliness. His perfectly tailored business suit superbly highlighted his strong lean body, suggesting he was a man used to a great deal of punishing physical activity.

‘I am assuming you know who I am.’ His voice was deep and had a hard edge to it as if he wasn’t the type to block his punches.

‘I…er…yes.’

What else could she say? The weekend paper was still open at his photo on the coffee table behind her.

Every time she’d walked past she’d told herself to screw it up and throw it out, but somehow she hadn’t.

She wasn’t entirely sure why.

‘I understand you have my brother’s child,’ he said into the stiff silence.

‘I…yes, that’s correct.’ A vision of Yeonhee’s dark bruises flashed into Changmin mind and her rising panic increased her heart rate to an almost intolerable level. She had to keep him away from her niece!

‘I would like to see her.’

'I’m afraid she’s sleeping just now, so…’ She let the sentence trail away, hoping he’d take the hint.

He didn’t.

He held her gaze for a lengthy moment and just when she began to close the door he put his foot out to block it.

‘Perhaps you did not hear me, Miss Shim.’ His tone hardened even further as his diamond-hard eyes lasered hers. ‘I am here to see my brother’s child and I will not be leaving until I do so.’

Changmin  knew he meant every hard-bitten word and, stepping back from the door, sent him a chilling glance. ‘If you wake her I’ll be extremely angry.’Please stay asleep, Yeonhee, she silently pleaded as he moved through the doorway, coming to stand right in front of her as the door clicked shut behind him.

He gave her a sweeping up and down look and when his eyes met hers they were full of contempt. ‘Yoochun told me all about you.’

Changmin frowned in confusion. She’d never once met her sister’s lover. Jaejoong’s affair with him had been brief but explosive, just like all her others.

Surely he didn’t think…

‘He told me you were trouble, but little did I realise how much,’ he continued when she didn’t respond.

She stared at him for a moment, wondering if she should disabuse him of his error in thinking she was her sister, but in the end decided to let him go on, to see what his intentions were with regard to Yeonhee. After all, what harm could it do? All she needed to do was pretend to be Jaejoong for a few minutes to tell him that she had changed her mind about the letter that had been sent to his father. Once she had convinced him she had no intention of giving up ‘her’ daughter, hopefully he would go away.

It wasn’t as if she hadn’t done this type of thing before. So many times in the past Changmin had stepped into Jaejoong's place to take the brunt of whatever punishment their dysfunctional mother had dished out. Surely if she’d been able to hoodwink her own moth Jung Yunho would be an absolute pushover.

‘Your brother’s criticism is ironic considering his own behaviour,’ she put in crisply.

A menacing glare came into his dark-as-night eyes. ‘You dare to malign my dead brother?’

She lifted her chin. ‘He was a cheat. While he was fathering Yeonhee, he was committed elsewhere.’

‘He was formally engaged to Kim Hana,’ he said bitterly. ‘They had been together since they were teenagers. You set your sights on him, no doubt lured by the prospect of his money, but he only ever had eyes for Hana. Did you really think he would stoop so low as to tie himself permanently to an unprincipled opportunistic little tramp who has slept her way around most of Sydney?’

Changmin tensed in anger. She knew her sister had been a little promiscuous at times, but the way Jung Yunho phrased it made it sound as if she had been a call girl instead of the insecure and emotionally unstable person she really was.

‘How absolutely typical!’ she spat back. ‘Why is it men such as yourself and your brother can sow several continents with wild oats but women must not? Get in the real world, Mr Jung. Women own their uality these days and have the same right to express it as you.’

His dark unreadable eyes raked her from head to foot again. ‘While we are speaking of rights, the little matter of Yoochun’s child needs to be addressed. As much as I lament and abhor the fact that the child is a Jung, the fact remains that she is entitled to see her paternal relatives.’

‘Surely that decision is up to me?’

‘No, I am afraid not, Miss Shim.’ His voice lowered threateningly. ‘Perhaps you do not realise quite who you are dealing with here. The Jung family will not stand back and watch a street raise a blood relative. Unless you do as I say I will do everything in my power to remove her from you so you cannot taint her with your lack of morality.’

Changmin’s eyes widened in alarm. She was in no doubt of his ability to do as he threatened. There could be few people in Australia who weren’t aware of the monumental wealth of the Jung family. Their influence and control stretched far and wide across the world. With the best legal defence and with a total lack of scruples, she knew it wouldn’t be long before Jung Yunho did exactly as he had promised.

Oh, what had Jaejoong done?

Changmin did her best not to appear intimidated, but never had she been more terrified. If he were to find out that she wasn’t actually the child’s mother, he could remove Yeonhee right here and now and there would be nothing she could do to stop him.

But he wasnot going to find out. Not if she could help it.

Garnering what courage she could, she stood rigidly before him, her grey eyes issuing a challenge.

‘I might appear to be a woman of few morals, but let me assure you I love that child and will not stand back while some overrated playboy sweeps her away. She’s a baby and babies need their mothers.’

Yunho's gaze swept over her rigid form, noting the tightened line of her full mouth and the stubborn set of her chin. Her startling eyes flashed with venom and, for the first time, he realised just how severely tempted his brother must have been. That pint-sized frame was incredibly alluring, so too the lustrous blonde hair that perfectly offset the creamy quality of her skin. Her figure had snapped back into place rather quickly, he thought, considering she’d not long been delivered of a child. Her air of innocence, however, he knew was the façade of a money-hungry who had already demonstrated her intentions by trying to trap his brother with the oldest trick in the book—pregnancy.

‘Under normal circumstances I would agree with you,’ he said in an even tone. ‘Having had the benefit of a wonderful mother, I would be the last person to suggest a child should be raised by anyone else. However, your track record does not inspire the greatest confidence in me that you will be able to support and nurture Yoochun’s child. After all, who was it that sent a missive to my family in Italy stating your intentions to have the child adopted?’

‘I…It was a knee-jerk reaction. I was upset and not thinking straight,’ she said quickly. ‘I have no intention of giving her up. Yeonhee is mine and no one—and I mean no one— is going to remove her from my custody.’
 
Without warning he stepped towards her, his formidable height casting a dark shadow over her slim form. Changmin fought with herself not to shrink away, but it took everything in her to hold herself steady under his threatening presence.

‘How remiss of me,’ he drawled as he reached inside his suit jacket pocket for his wallet. ‘I should have known you would want to twist the screws a bit. How much?’

She looked at him blankly.

One dark aristocratic brow lifted. ‘I assume this is what this holding pattern is all about?’

‘I have no idea what you’re talking about,’ she said, suddenly bone-dry.

His mouth twisted into a cynical smile as he fanned open his wallet, ‘Come now, Jaejoong. I am a rich man; I think I can just about afford to pay you off. Name your price.’

Yunho was surprised by how much he was enjoying playing with her, seeing her struggle to hold on to her temper, knowing that any minute now she’d cave in to the temptation he was dangling before her beautiful come-to-bed-eyes.

‘My real name is Changmin and I don’t want your stupid money.’

This time both his eyebrows lifted. He paused strategically, wondering what game she was playing now.

‘I thought your name was Jaejoong? I am sure Yoochun told me it was—or was that a lie too?’

Changmin schooled her features into exactly the sort of expression her twin sister was famous for. ‘Changmin is my real name but I thought Jaejoong sounded a little more sophisticated. I’ve since changed my mind.’ She inspected her hands in another imitation of her sister before raising her eyes back to his. ‘How did you know where to find me?’

‘There is only one Miss Shim J listed in the phone book in this suburb.’

Since Jaejoong  had moved in with her after the birth of Yeonhee, her sister’s erratic approach to paying bills meant that Changmin had left the telephone in her name alone, which had obviously made it even easier for Yunho to assume she was her twin.

She allowed one tiny inaudible breath of relief to escape the tight frame of her lips.

So far so good.

‘Well, then…Changmin.’ He drew her name out suggestively. ‘If you are not after money, what do you want?’

‘Nothing.’

The cynical smile was back. ‘It has been my experience that women like you are always after money even when they insist to the contrary.’

‘Your experience must be terribly limited, for I can assure you I have no need of your money.’

‘Not mine, perhaps, but you must be aware that my dead brother has left a considerable estate. You have given birth to his child, which means she has a legal right to claim some, if not all, of that estate when she comes of age.’

Changmin swallowed. This was getting more and more complicated by the minute.

‘I’m not interested in Yoochun’s estate.’

‘You expect me to believe that?’ he growled. ‘Behind those eyes of yours I can see the dollar signs already rolling in anticipation.’ His dark gaze left hers to sweep the room before coming back to glare down at her. ‘Look at this place! It reeks of poverty and neglect. Do you think I will allow my niece to live in such a hovel?’

Changmin felt pride straighten her spine. ‘It’s all I can afford at present.’

He gave a harsh laugh. ‘At present is right. No doubt you have already got some other poor unsuspecting man in your sights for your next free ride.’ He gave her a look of undiluted disgust and continued. ‘You must be offering something pretty special underneath that “butter would not melt in your mouth” pose for anyone to take you on with another man’s baby in tow.’

Changmin had never considered herself a volatile person; Jaejoong had been the firebrand, her unpredictable mood swings causing many an unpleasant scene. But somehow, hearing Yunho’s disdain, even though it was directed at her twin, bit her deeply and on her sister’s behalf she fought back.

‘Are you offering to take up where Yoochun left off?’ she asked in a tone dripping with sultry provocation.

His dark eyes glittered with hatred so intense it secretly unnerved her.

‘I can see how you want to play this,’ he said after another nerve-tightening pause.

‘On the contrary, I want nothing other than for you to leave my home immediately. You’re not the least bit interested in my n…er…daughter.’ She took a quick breath to disguise her vocal stumble. ‘If you don’t leave then I will have no other choice than to call the police and have you thrown out.’

Black eyes clashed with grey for endless seconds but finally Changmin was the first to lower her gaze.

‘Please leave, Mr Jung. I have nothing else I wish to say to you.’

‘I want to see my niece.’ His adamant tone brought her eyes back to his. ‘I want to see the child my brother fathered.
Changmin pressed her lips together as she saw the struggle he made to keep his emotions under control. She heard it in his voice and saw it in his rigid stance as he faced her, his dark eyes shining with sudden moisture.

She hadn’t expected him to have such depth of human feeling and it shamed her to realise how seriously she’d misjudged him. After all, she reminded herself, he had not long buried his only sibling under tragic circumstances. Even with all Jaejoong's distressing foibles, she knew that in the same situation she would be little less than devastated.

‘I’m sorry.’ Her voice came out unevenly his mouth twisted. ‘Are you?’

She didn’t answer but moved past him to the pram under the single window. She was conscious of his tall frame just behind her as she peeled back the covers so he could see Yeonhee's face.

She felt him standing close beside her, his arm brushing hers as he looked down at his brother’s child for a long time without speaking. The silence was so intense she could hear the sound of his breathing, his chest moving in and out with the effort of controlling his reaction to seeing his niece for the first time.

‘Can I hold her?’

Changmin felt as if her heart had done a complete somersault in her chest at his simple request. What if he held her the wrong way and she cried?

‘Um…I don’t think—’

‘Please.’ His raw tone brought her eyes back to his. ‘I would like to hold my brother’s child. She is all that I have left of him.’

Changmin released an uneven breath and carefully lifted the sleeping baby from amongst the covers, cradling her gently before turning and handing her to him.

She watched as a thousand emotions flashed over his handsome features as he brought the tiny bundle close to his broad chest, his dark gaze thoughtful as he looked down at the perfection of Yeonhee's peaceful face.

‘She is…beautiful.’ His tone was distinctly husky.

Changmin had trouble keeping the emotion out of her own voice. ‘Yes, she is.’

His eyes met hers briefly. ‘What did you call her?’

She lowered her gaze a Fraction.'Yeonhee.’

‘Yeonhee,’ he repeated as if tasting it. ‘It suits her.’

She chanced a look at him and was surprised to see how at ease he was holding the infant, one of his large hands cradling her securely while the other explored her miniature features as if in wonder.

‘Does she have a middle name?’ he asked into the heavy silence.

‘Grace,’ she answered, wondering if she should tell him it was her own middle name, but at the last minute deciding against it. She’d been so touched when Jaejoong had told her of her choice of names, and for a while had hoped her sister was going to finally settle down and face her responsibilities. But within a few short weeks of Yeonhees birth she had gone back to late-night partying and drinking, leaving the baby with Changmin so often that Yeonhee had begun to cry whenever Jaejoong had made any approach at all, as if sensing her total inadequacy as a carer.

Changmin was increasingly aware of the silence in the room as Jung Yunho held his niece, his dark gaze fixed on the child’s face.

She said the first thing that came into her head. ‘I think she looks like Yoochun, don’t you?’

Yunho swung his gaze to where she was standing, his hard expression instantly clouding. She thought he was going to agree with her but instead he turned back to the child in his arms and asked, looking down at her, ‘Did he ever see her?’

‘No.’

She’d been furious when Jaejoong had told her that Yoochun hadn’t wanted to see his baby, and couldn’t help wondering if that was the reason her sister hadn’t bonded with the child in the first place. The whole way through the pregnancy Jaejoong had had all her hopes pinned on Yoochun falling in love with his child once he saw her, thus ensuring a secure future for Jaejoong as his wife. When he had flatly refused to take a paternity test to establish whether or not the baby was his, Jaejoong had gone into a deep depression, closely followed by a spate of reckless partying.

‘No,’ she repeated, her tone holding a distinct note of bitterness. ‘I expect he was too busy preparing for his wedding.’

Yunho didn’t answer but Changmin could see the sudden tightening of his jaw as if her words had annoyed him.

She watched as he laid the baby down once more, his touch sure but gentle as he tucked the light bunny rug back into place.

When he turned to face her she found it difficult to hold his piercing gaze as she thought of how she was deceiving him. It suddenly occurred to her what a dangerous game she was playing. Wasn’t there some sort of law against impersonating another person? Jung Yunho was nobody’s fool and if he were to ever find out how he’d been duped there would be hell to pay, she was sure.

‘Miss Shim.’ His deep voice brought her troubled gaze back to his.

‘Y-yes?’ She moistened her lips, somehow sensing he was going to state his intentions, all her instincts telling her she wasn’t going to like them one little bit.

‘I want to see my niece on a regular basis and, while I understand your aversion to such an arrangement, I think you know I will pursue this legally if you refuse.’

‘I’m her mother,’ she bit out. ‘No court in Australia would remove her from my custody.’

‘You think not?’ His lip curled. ‘What if I told them about your little affair with a certain prominent politician just a few weeks after giving birth to my brother’s child?’

What affair? Changmin thought in panic. What politician? What the hell had Jaejoong been up to?

He must have seen the flicker of alarm cross her features as he added in a cool deliberate tone, ‘You see, Miss Shim, I have all the dirt on you and I intend to use it in order to bring about what I want. I have heard how you tried to extort money from the poor fool when he called a halt to the relationship. You have been lucky that little affair did not get the press’s attention, but one word from me and, well…’ He paused for effect. ‘You know the rest.’

She in a ragged breath, even her fingertips growing icy cold with dread as it spread through her body like the flow of mercury in her veins.

‘What exactly do you want?’ Her words came out like hard pellets.

Yunho waited for a few moments before he answered. Until he had seen Yoochun’s child—and one look told him she was indeed his—he had not really thought much further than waving a truckload of money under the mother’s nose and walking away with the baby as his father had planned. But somehow seeing Changmin with the baby, the way she looked at Yeonhee so lovingly and cradled her so gently, he wasn’t convinced that he would be acting in the best interests of his niece by removing her from her mother, unless he was absolutely sure she was not up to the task of caring for her. If indeed he could, considering that ill-judged letter of his father’s, and its vicious rejection of the baby. The woman had a powerful weapon there, if she chose to use it.

Which left him with only one other course of action.

His obsidian gaze held hers determinedly. ‘I want to claim my brother’s child as my own.’

‘You can’t do that! She doesn’t belong to you! She belongs t-to…t-to me.’

‘I can, you know.’

‘How?’

She shouldn’t have asked, Changmin thought later. She just should never have asked.

His dark eyes locked with hers and a persistent tickling feather of fear began to tease its way up the entire length of her spine.

‘I want that baby and I will do anything to have her, even if it means I have to tie myself to you to do so.’

She blinked at him, wondering if she’d misinterpreted his chilling statement. ‘Tie yourself? What do you meantie yourself?’

His mouth twisted into a smile that didn’t quite reach his dark-as-sin eyes. ‘My brother refused to marry you, but I have no such scruples. You will be my wife within a fortnight or I will make sure you never see your daughter again.’ He kept his features still, knowing his bluff was convincing. But would it work?

It took Changmin a moment or two to find her voice, her head pounding with a combination of shock and outrage.

‘Do you seriously think I will be coerced in such a way?’ she finally spat indignantly.

‘I am more or less counting on it. Yoochun told me your main goal in life was to land a rich husband, so here I am, ready to step into the role.’

She opened to speak again but closed over at the steely determination in his dark gaze as it clashed with hers.

She considered coming clean, telling him she was really Jaejoong's twin, hoping he would understand her need to protect her niece, but his air of icy hauteur changed her mind at the last minute. She’d be damned if she would give up her niece without a furious fight, even if it cost her everything she had, including her freedom.

She flashed him a look of pure loathing at the way he’d cleverly herded her into a corner from which she could increasingly see there might be little chance of escape. She saw the glint of anticipated victory in his dark gaze and her blood ebbed and flowed through her veins in a tide of anger and growing fear.

‘I suppose it’s to be expected a spoilt playboy like you would assume he can always get whatever he wants,’ she said.

‘I will, of course, pay you generously,’ he said, his dark eyes watching her steadily. ‘How much do you want?’

Changmin was very conscious that in her place Jaejoong would have asked for some outrageous sum, but something stopped her from taking the charade that far. The ice she’d inadvertently skated on to was suddenly very thin in places, but taking money in what was little more than a bribe was surely going to lead to more trouble than she could cope with at present.

Besides, little Yeonhee was lying asleep less than a metre away from him, her tiny body badly bruised. She’d been lucky this time but if he took even one look beneath that vest…

Forcing her chin upwards, she tilted her head at him, her arms folded in front of her chest, and informed him with unintentional irony, ‘If you think you can bribe me then you’ve got the wrong person.’

His eyes flicked to her where her s were pushed up by her folded arms, taking his time before returning to her face.

Changmin stood silently fuming under his mocking appraisal, wondering how in the world her sister’s behaviour had brought her to this. She knew her anger should be directed at Jaejoong and not the man before her, but everything about him goaded her beyond bearing.

‘I told you before, I don’t want your money. I’d feel tainted by taking anything from you.’

‘Nice try, Miss Shim,’ he drawled back. ‘I can see what you are doing. You are pretending to be nothing like the avaricious young woman who seduced my brother, but I can see through your little act. Do not think that you can deceive me so easily; I have made up my mind, and you will do as I say, whether you accept payment from me or not.’

Changmin did her best to hide how his statement affected her while her mind raced on, wondering how in the world she was going to get out of this farcical situation. God, she was going to kill Jaejoong for this! Surely she couldn’t be forced to marry the man just to keep her niece? But what else was she to do? Jaejoong was an unfit mother and—like her—Yunho apparently had enough evidence to prove it.

‘I want some time to think about this.’ She was a little unnerved by how like Jaejoong she sounded, but carried on regardless. ‘I like to look at all the angles on things before I commit myself.’

‘I am not here to negotiate, Miss Shim,’ he said intractably. ‘I am here to step into the role of Yeonhee's father and I want to do it as soon as possible.’

She looked up at him in growing alarm. There was an intransigent edge to his tone that suggested he was well used to getting his own way and would go to any lengths at his disposal to do so.

Tell him the truth,she mentally chanted.Tell him who you really are. But the words were stuck somewhere in the middle of her chest where her heart was already squeezing at the thought of never seeing Yeonhee again.

She tried to think rationally and clearly but it was hard with him standing there watching every tiny flicker of emotion on her face.

What if she went along with his demands for now? He’d said two weeks. Surely she’d be able to wriggle out of it by then. Hopefully Jaejoong would be in contact soon and she’d be able to sort something out. She had to sort something out. She couldn’t possibly marry a perfect stranger!

Yunho took her continued silence as acquiescence. ‘I will have the necessary papers drawn up immediately.’

‘But…’ She stopped, her heart giving another funny skip in her chest. Oh, God! What had she done?

Surely he wasn’t serious?

She tried again. ‘H-how soon do you want me to…’ She found it hard to finish the sentence as his hard eyes cut to hers with a look of total disdain.

‘Perhaps I should make something very clear at this point. I do not want you , Miss Shim. This will not be a proper marriage in the true sense of the word.’

‘Not legal, do you mean?’ She frowned, trying to make sense of his meaning.

‘It will be legal, I would not settle for less, but it will be a paper marriage only.’

‘A paper marriage?’ Her finely arched brows met above her eyes.

‘We will not be consummating the relationship,’ he stated implacably.

Changmin knew she should be feeling overwhelming relief at his curt statement but for some inexplicable reason she felt annoyed instead. She knew she wasn’t looking as glamorous right now as Jaejoong customarily did, but her figure was good and her features classically appealing. It didn’t sit that well with her to have him dismiss her desirability so readily, as if she held no physical appeal at all.

‘You expect me to trust you on that?’ she asked with just the right amount of cynicism in her tone.

He lifted a long- tanned hand and made a sign of a cross over his chest as his eyes pinned hers.

‘Cross my heart and hope to die.’

Something about his air of supreme confidence tempted Changmin  into giving him the sort of seductive look she’d seen her sister casting men’s way for years. She placed her hand on her hip as she tilted her pelvis provocatively, the corners of tipping upwards in a taunting little salacious smile as she drawled breathily, ‘Then I would say you’re as good as a dead man, Mr Jung.’