praying for love (paying for naivety)

A taste of what you've paid for

 

God's grace was with all of them, but it was no longer with me.

(Demian: The Story of Emir Sinclair's Youth)

 


 

 

"So Donghyun, how unlikely is it to survive a fall from that window to the ground?"

Woojin whispers to his friend, successfully bothering him for the nth time today.

 

They're currently at the library, with Donghyun trying his best to act as if he cannot hear Woojin and concetrating on his, their, assignment. Though this time, he actually bothers to look up to him.

 

"It's very possible to survive since the distance isn't enough to kill anyone but I can manage if you disturb me one more time."

 

Woojin glares at him for a second before pouting. 

"I have a problem," he announces dramatically, "and you're not helping with that attitude."

 

Donghyun stares at him with a "you're-really-stupid" expression. 

"I don't know how one text can scare you like this but trust me, you airhead, there's nothing to worry about."

 

"But I already told you!" Woojin snaps back a bit loudly, earning a few glares from other students. He doesn't care.

"I saw this, this," he flails his hands wildly in the air, "thing with Daniel and Jihoon and I think Jihoon's out for my blood."

 

"You seeing him kiss Daniel won't kill you, Woojin." Donghyun replies, attention on his work again.

"On the contrary, I think they should be scared of you because you saw them. I'm pretty sure Seongwoo wouldn't like that info very much."

 

"Oh my god!" 

Realization dawns on Woojin's face.

"Is he planning to kill me because Jihoon thinks I'll snitch on them?"

 

"You know what, forget what I said."

Donghyun stands up and fixes his things back to his bag.

"Your relevance in this school is pretty much non-existent so I don't think they'll worry that much about you snitching and spreading cheating rumors."

 

Woojin also stands up and hits his friend with his bag. 

"Thanks for the hype, you traitor."

 

Donghyun smiles cheekily. "Always happy to help a friend. Let's go, I'm hungry!"

He moves in front of his friend and pulls Woojin next to him. He puts his arm around Woojin's shoulder.

"Don't worry, if Jihoon ever does something to you, I'll personally do the arrangement for your funeral. No payment needed."

 

"I'd say thanks but I won't let myself die without taking you with me."

 

 


 

 

 

The rest of their day consisted solely of Woojin stubbornly insisting not to go back to their dorms because aren't you happy to spend time, like the whole time, with me donghyun and Donghyun judging him with his glares.

 

Eventually, they ran out of shops to window-shop to and Donghyun actually managed to drag, and I mean drag, Woojin to their dorms.

 

"I'm telling you, Woojin, Jihoon looks harmless and-- oh, speaking of the devil." 

Donghyun stops on his tracks, with Woojin in tow who's looking down, frozen.

 

"Donghyun, for the love of everything that is holy, if you're joking right now--"

 

"No, no, it really is Jihoon, in front of our door."

 

Woojin inhales sharply before finally looking up. Indeed, there's Jihoon, looking glorious even with his signature look of agonizing fashion. To be honest, who in their right mind would wear a neon pink shirt and pair it with red sneakers? 

 

Donghyun holds Woojin's arm tightly, a silent message for him to chill, and together they move closer to their unexpected visitor.

 

Jihoon sees them and smiles his amazing smile, teeth showing and all. Donghyun does the same, but with a wave because its Donghyun we're talking about, and Woojin just stares dumbly, partly because Jihoon up-close is heavenly and partly because he's sincerely scared.

 

"Hello! Donghyun, isn't it?" 

Jihoon asks, still smiling but with his eyes showing an unreadable expression. 

 

"Yes, and its Jihoon, right? I've seen you around the school a lot. You're pretty famous." Donghyun replies back, still clutching Woojin's arm. 

"And this is Woojin." He points at him.

 

Jihoon focuses all his attention to Jihoon and holds out his hand. 

"I know him. It's nice to finally meet you, Woojin."

 

Woojin hesitates for a moment before taking Jihoon's hand, which is firm and soft, not that he thinks its soft, that is merely an observation, and shakes it twice.

 

A few awkward seconds pass before Woojin finally decides to speak. Nervous, he asks.

"Uh what.. what are you doing here?"

 

Jihoon stares at him for a moment. 

"I would like to talk to you, actually. Alone."

 

Woojin is visibly shocked, and he unconsciously swallows hard. 

 

Donghyun clears his throat and releases his hold on his friend. "Well then, I might as well go. I'll just wait for you inside, Woojin." 

 

He smiles reassuringly, completely not reassuring Woojin. He moves away and proceeds to get inside their dorm, leaving his helpless friend alone with his soon-to-be killer.

 

"Okay, I'll make this quick," Jihoon starts. His tone suddenly changed from friendly to scary, worrying Woojin more. 

"Just, what exactly did you see?"

 

Woojin stays silent, eyes bulging and looking stupid in front of Jihoon god ing dammit

 

"I do not appreciate silence right now, Woojin ah."

 

"I saw nothing!" Woojin blurts out. Lying is bad, but so is dying so he might as well lie.

 

Jihoon laughs softly, sounding like an angel. 

"We both know you're lying."

 

"Look, I just saw you and Daniel kiss. That's all! And I promise, I won't say to anyone. I'm not a snitch." And I also love my life, Woojin wants to add, but he's made himself look idiotic enough. He doesn't need any more embarassment, thank you very much.

 

"No, you're not." Jihoon agrees, looking at him with an amused expression.

 

They do a staring contest for a while. Then, Woojin speaks. 

"So.. can I, like, go now?"

 

"You're cute, you know that?" Jihoon says out of nowhere, still looking amused.

 

Woojin, for the 623637th time that day, looks at the other dumbly. "Uh, okay? That didn't really answer my question, but okay."

 

"And you're pretty observant too, because I made sure no one would look our way that time, but you managed to do it, with little effort, I'm sure. You're different from them, Woojin ah. I like that."

Jihoon continues, puzzling Woojin.

 

"Them?"

 

"Would you like to join me, then? It's so boring to just play with them alone. They're so easy, like that senior of yours, Daniel." 

 

"Wait, what? I don't understand. You played with Daniel to cheat on Seongwoo?" Woojin slowly takes one step back, instinctively raising his hands a bit in front of him, as if to say back off.

 

Jihoon laughs again. "I didn't play with him to cheat on his boyfriend. I play with them differently."

 

Woojin swallows hard again before asking. "How do you play with them?"

 

Jihoon smiles. 

"I take a part of their soul."