dress me up (watch me die)

A taste of what you've paid for

 

If one wanted an unsullied and orderly life, one made sure one was in league with this world.


(Demian: The Story of Emir Sinclair's Youth)

 


 

"I take a part of their soul."

 

Park Jihoon states this in such a nonchalant manner it's downright outrageous to believe it's true.

 

Woojin feels his skin crawl with fear, dread, and perhaps even with annoyance. He's had his own fair share of creepy experiences, but moments involving Jihoon seems to triumph among others.

 

He almost regrets asking him how he plays with people. Almost.

 

They say curiosity kills. Who knows? Maybe tonight it kills Woojin.

 

"What do you mean?" Woojin asks. He's slowly turning pale, and with his hair dyed red, it is sickeningly noticeable how affected he is of Jihoon's presence.

 

Jihoon just smiles, as always. Woojin thinks he's used to it by now. 'Not giving a response to important questions' seems to be listed under Park Jihoon's skills.

 

After a while, Jihoon responds. "I'll answer you another time. When you're ready."

 

Would you look at that, let's also add 'providing only ample information' on that list.

 

Jihoon then moves swiftly, suddenly occupying Woojin's personal space and standing in front of him, really close. His eyes stay locked on the other, as if sending a message.

 

Woojin is greatly alarmed, and his cheeks are now adorned with a light pink glow. His heart throbs vigorously, and maybe it's not only from the panic. However, he stands his ground and participates in what looks like a staring competition between them.

 

Jihoon leans in a bit closer, his breath ghosting over Woojin's lips. Then, he speaks. "Things will be different tomorrow. Will you notice them?"

 

And with that, Jihoon quickly turns around and starts walking away from the other. He waves his hand lightly into the air as farewell.

 

He turns to a dark alley and disappears from the other's line of sight. Finally, after what seems like hours to him, Woojin calms himself and collects his thoughts.

 

"How will I even notice things?" Woojin wonders out loud.

 

A voice within him answers back. "If it involves Park Jihoon, you will notice. You always do."

 

Woojin sighs. "What are you, Park Jihoon?"

 


 

As anyone would expect, Woojin did not get enough sleep that night. He was too busy thinking about who Jihoon really is, and what he meant the night before.

 

Of course Donghyun, the good friend that he is, will notice this sudden change. He knows Woojin is the type of guy who loves sleep so much he'd choose slipping into a coma over coming to school.

 

So, imagine his shock when Woojin, in the weary hours of the morning, wakes him up and tells him to hurry up because he's so energized to go to school.

 

"We don't even have classes today!" A confused Donghyun exclaims, flabbergasted.

 

Woojin stares at him dumbly. "We don't?"

 

Donghyun sighs. He falls on his bed dramatically and hugs his pink pillow. "It's a Sunday, you idiot."

 

"It is?" Woojin fishes out his phone from his pocket to check the date. Yup, it really is a Sunday.

 

"Whatever you're on right now, please stop doing it. It's not good for you because it's making you dumber." Donghyun continues.

 

Woojin controls his urge to smother his friend with his own pillow, and just decides to leave him and wander into their makeshift living room (which is really just leftover space in their dorm where they managed to place a small couch).

 

He sits on the couch and stares at nothing for a full minute.

 

"Why are you being like this, Park Woojin?" He asks himself tiredly.

 

At that moment, his phone rings. It's his dance team leader, Daniel.

 

"What's up?" Woojin quickly asks as he answers the call.

 

"Hey, Woojin. Can you go to the studio today?"

 

Woojin notes the lack of energy in Daniel's voice.

 

"Yeah, sure. Did something happen?"

 

"We need to, uh, change the routine for the dance. Myungho, he.. he can't participate."

 

Myungho is Daniel's classmate and assistant leader to their team. He's also the center in the dance routine they've been practicing for months for the annual dance competition in their school's festival.

 

Alarmed, Woojin reacts. "Huh? Why?"

 

Daniel's voice is disturbingly low, Woojin can practically hear the sadness in it. "It's.. it's my fault. It's my ing fault, I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

 

Then the line cuts off. Woojin stares at the phone on his right hand. His mind fills with questions, and no answers.

 

Why wouldn't Myungho participate? He's more excited than anyone to showcase his talent since he's the center, so why would he back out?

 

Why is Daniel saying it's his fault? What is his fault?

 

Suddenly, Park Jihoon's words come back to him. "Things will be different tomorrow."

 

Woojin puts his left hand on his chest and feels his heart beating faster again. He sighs.

 

"Steady your heart, Park Woojin."