finale

Muse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

f i n a l e .

.
.
.

Two years later.

.
.

She stood on the sidewalk, facing the café. Raising her hand to shield her eyes from the bright sunlight, Wendy looked up at The Roost’s new sign. It was much like the old sign, just newer and cleaner.

                Upon returning to her beloved hometown, the now master barista first class (Henry had ultimately decided to stay in Italy; he much preferred the culture there) had been promptly informed by her roommate that the café had been purchased and reopened, and that Chen and Minseok were currently working there as baristas themselves.

                Chen hadn’t told Wendy about this switch in occupation from shelving at the library; she thought, perhaps, that he wanted to surprise her.

                Her eyes dropped from the sign to the front door. A cheery yellow Open placard hung on the glass.

                Wendy took a deep breath. She smiled.

                I’m finally home.

.
.

Inside the café, everything was mostly the same as well. The only highly noticeable difference was that the new owner had opted for sleeker, more modern tables with a center post instead of four legs, and chairs with lower backs though they were all still made of the same materials as before; black metal and mahogany. The new café owner was determined to keep the spirit of the old alive and well despite his own variations in taste and personal style.

                “Mrs. Carlyle just called and ordered her usual.” Chen informed his coworker as he cracked open rolls of coins to replenish the cash register’s supply.

                “So a twenty-four ounce black-as-her-soul with an extra shot of pride and two pumps of outdated fashion sense?”

                The other laughed out loud. “Yes, exactly that.”

                Pleased with himself, Minseok got to work on the order without any further wisecracks.

                Chen was so occupied with trying to open one particularly difficult roll of quarters that he didn’t notice the ring of the front door’s bell when a new customer had walked in.

                Wendy’s eyes caught Minseok’s immediately; she put her finger to her lips and he pretended to ignore her but he couldn’t hide his smirk while doing so.

                “Aish.” muttered Chen when he had finally managed to rip open the paper roll he had been struggling with.

                “Excuse me, could I get an eight ounce cold brew?” Wendy said, causing Chen to freeze after he had dumped the quarters into the register tray.

                That voice...

                He glanced up and felt his heart crash in his chest upon seeing her again. She was somehow five times as beautiful as he remembered; her hair was darker and her bangs had grown out to long, elegant tresses that framed her face perfectly and tumbled over her shoulders in chestnut cascades. Her lips were the perfect shade of pink. She wore a white button up with the first two buttons undone, providing her pearl pendant with a ample frame of her lovely, peachy skin.

                Her eyes were just the same.

                “No sugar and just a little milk, please.” she completed her order, snapping Chen from his dazed state.

                “...For here or to go?” he asked, although he could barely speak; countless emotions pulled him in different directions all at the same time.

                Wendy smiled. “For here.”

                Chen dropped his gaze, leaning against the counter and swallowing hard. “...You didn’t tell me that you were coming back today.” Resting on the counter in front of him were her pretty hands; her nails were a soft pink that matched her lips.

                “And you didn’t tell me that the café had been reopened and that you were working here!” she exclaimed, with her eyebrows raised.

                He chuckled. “Okay, fair enough.”

                “Now, about that cold brew...”

                Chen chuckled again, seeming a little shy now. “Well, alright, but I’m not any good... I’ll probably embarrass the likes of you.” He retrieved a jar of cold-brewed coffee that he had prepared the night before and sat the drip filter atop a serving cup. Taking a step back, he began to pour the coffee into the filter.

                “A little slower.” directed Wendy, who had been watching his every moment attentively. Smiling, Chen eased his hand a bit to reduce the flow. “A little higher, too; here━“ She came around the counter and stood beside him, raising his elbow gently with her hand. “There. Yes, that’s perfect.” She glanced up and realized that he was staring at her. She nudged him. “Hey. Pay attention to what you’re doing.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter