chapter twenty-four

Muse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

c h a p t e r  t w e n t y - f o u r.

.
.
.

Some think of people according to their astrological signs, others merely accordingly to the scientifically psychological━their temperaments; their personalities and their dispositions. Just another way to think of the human character is by means of each individual’s respective season.

                In nature, there are four seasons: the summer and winter solstices and the vernal and autumnal equinoxes. Likewise, it can be said that there are four types of human spirit, according to one of the seasons.

                Summer souls burn with a fierce passion and thrive off their unquenchable thirst for fulfillment, whatever that may be for them. They are strong, effective, influential people with steady voices and infectious laughs. While their group is the most common of the types, each member has their own unique charm.

                In contrast to those of summer, winter souls are quiet and perhaps distant, but none less powerful. They fight with calm reason and deliberate objectivity instead of fervent will. As summer souls achieve happiness and success in reality, their winter brethren find peace for themselves and others within worlds of their own creation.

                Perhaps the most curious of the four, spring souls are gentle, volatile creatures whose fearless optimism leads them to flourish; to overcome all odds. They are zealous as summer and contemplative as winter, but more amiable to any of the other types because of their kindness and understanding.

                Autumn souls are equally tragic as they are beautiful; inquisitive as they are interesting; sad as they are happy; simple as they are complex, and they are thus the rarest of the four types. They are capable of experiencing the highest bliss that life has to offer, but as their twofold spirits encompass the characteristics of all the other seasons, they are more prone to waver and sway━to fall.

                ...Thus the humble owner of The Roost Cafe.

                The day was oddly warm for early February; the sun’s warm rays had already started to melt the snow. Chen and Wendy held either of his hands. At the moment Mr. Cho had breathed his last breath, he was crowned King of Autumn Souls, forever to reign in the hearts of those who had the immense pleasure of knowing him.

                His facial expression was so peaceful that he could have simply been sleeping. He really did look like a king; the golden sunshine pouring in from a break in the hospital room curtains and shining upon his face; lighting up his fine features.

                He had gone to a much, much better place than the world he had left behind.

.
.

A few days later, an intimate funeral was held in his honor. Mr. Kyuhyun Cho was buried in the town’s beautifully quaint old cemetery just a few miles outside of town.

                The minutes passed and only Chen, his stepsister Luna, and Wendy remained at the burial site, staring down at the freshly covered grave.

                After an hour or so, Luna excused herself, saying that she had to catch a flight back to New York in order to make it for an important meeting. She kissed her brother on the cheek and patted his back affectionately, apologizing that she couldn’t stay longer. She also expressed her anticipation to get to know Wendy better in the future.

                Wendy walked to the other side of the grave, standing beside Chen after his sister had left.

                “It was his idea that I came out here to live with him for a while.” said Chen, his eyes fixated on the ground. “...He said that it would be good for my health. Fresh air, away from the literal and figurative pollution of the city. He said that I would find new inspiration here, and of course, he was right. He was always right. I grew up and he was always there in the background, somehow, somewhere. Funding my education, encouraging me to participate in extra-curricular activities, and of course, supporting me with my writing even though he didn’t have any interest in reading my genre or critiquing it. He’d much rather watch a movie adaptation.” He paused, smiling a little, but his smile quickly faded. “...But I would’ve never imagined, not in a million years, that this move would have changed me so much...”

                There was a long moment where only the breeze could be heard.

                “He was like the father that I never had, or rather, the father whom I wished I had.” Wendy said. “He always firm and constant with me, but always supportive and encouraging. He never judged or scolded me but instead, politely offered his opinions and his advice.” Her eyes filled with tears. “I fear that I hadn’t expressed how much I admired him and appreciated him being there for me when it seemed like nobody else was. I... I loved him so much.....”

                Finally, Chen looked over at her. She cried silently. “He knew. He talked about you all the time like you were his daughter. He said things like ’Wendy is the finest student I’ve ever had.’ and he would call you ‘my Wendy,’ like, ‘I’ve never known anyone quite like my Wendy; she is destined to be an internationally-known barista. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if she’s featured on the Food Network at some point in time.’ At first, it wasn’t clear to me that he was trying to set me up with you because I thought that he might have a thing for you.” Despite her tears, Wendy laughed, shaking her head in disbelief.

                “He knew everything, Wendy.” said Chen.

                “...Yes. You’re right.”

                The other sighed. The veil of solemnity was pulled over the two again as their eyes fell upon the grave before them once more. “...I just feel so empty now. Desolate.” Chen whispered, “...What do I do now? What do I...have...now?”

                Wendy looked at him before taking his cold hand in hers.

                “Me.” she said. She squeezed tightly before letting go and taking her leave.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter