Rematch

Select, Start
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rematch

Two months of yelling at different platforming games and enhancing their skills Baekhyun and Jindeok found themselves downtown checking into SM-games' Partner Tournament. They were getting weird looks from those around them and Jindeok figured it was because Baekhyun had a tight hold on her hand refusing to let go as they signed in. Both the audience and other gamers ogled them as they made their way to the participant gathering area where they mingled and waited for the tournament to start.

“Maybe we should have made an announcement,” Baekhyun muttered to her as they walked away from a group that had claimed to be big fans of theirs.

“Of what?” Jindeok questioned bemused.

“That we're –”

“Jindeok! There you are.”

The couple stopped as four people came their way. Jindeok released Baekhyun's hand to accept a hug from her friends that she was both surprised and happy to see.

“Chanyeol oppa,” she greeted as they hugged. Pulling back she glanced to his left to see a shorter guy with big eyes and lips, that looked rather shy. “Is he your partner for today?” she asked the grinning giant.

Sliding his hands into his pockets Chanyeol nodded. “This is Kyungsoo, we met through WoW.”

“Hi, it's nice to meet you,” Jindeok said to Kyungsoo with a smile.

“Gotta say I didn't believe Chanyeol when he said he was friends with Overshadowed,” Kyungsoo admitted as he held out his hand to her. Jindeok took it and they shook. “It's an honor to meet you.”

Jindeok flushed.

To Chanyeol's right was Minseok and a guy with a polite smile and neatly parted hair. Minseok stepped forward and gave her a quick hug before introducing his own partner.

“This is my younger brother Junmyeon, he's the strategist,” Minseok said with a smirk as he patted his brother on the back.

“Hi Junmyeon,” she said.

“Hello.”

“So,” Minseok hummed after all the introductions were done. His eyes darting from Jindeok to Baekhyun, who was standing at her shoulder with a hand hovering over her lower back. “The spring wedding is on huh?” he teased.

Jindeok groaned as she kicked at the smirking guy's shin making him laugh. “Shut up, there's no wedding,” she grumbled.

“So rumors were right? You two are dating?” Chanyeol inquired.

“Ah, no the rumors weren't right, we weren't dating then,” she muttered feeling embarrassed.

“But you are now?” Minseok inquired with a raised brow.

“Yes, problem?” Baekhyun replied. He stepped forward, hand resting on Jindeok's waist and voice turning unusually low.

“Finally! Pay up,” Minseok said turning to Chanyeol triumphantly.

“You bet on us?” Jindeok yelled incredulously.

“No I bet against the rumors,” Chanyeol grumbled. He looked to Minseok and added, “I'll pay up after the tournament.”

“Told you we should have made some sort of announcement,” Baekhyun whispered to her.

Jindeok just rolled her eyes as their group chatted until event hands came about to collect the first set of teams. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were in the first round of matches leaving the Kim brothers and Baekhyun and Jindeok. The four didn't chat for long as they watched monitors set up around the waiting room of the tournament broadcast happening.

The first tier of the contest was first person shooter games, which Baekhyun and Jindeok were both confident in (Jindeok more than him since she won almost every match against her boyfriend in practice).

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo made it to the second round by at least a ten point lead and when the Kim brothers and Baekhyun and Jindeok played the couple took a fifteen point lead over the others while the brothers had a nine point lead. It was tense in the waiting room after the first round of matches ended, no one was exactly friendly anymore. Everyone was focused on what the next game was going to be and partners discussing teamwork strategies. All Baekhyun had to say was 'remain calm and focused like me', and Jindeok only replied with an eye roll and 'shut up oppa.'

The second tier was The War's new battle mode – which was two-v-two (computer players optional like in the Diamond-G Con demo (but obviously not here at the tournament)) with hidden power-ups on a map specially made for the tournament. It wasn't surprising to anyone when Spot1ight and 0verShadowed took an extra twenty-three point lead by the end of the round, but they desperately needed it when the third tier was platformers and they found themselves at the bottom of the pack.

“I told you not to jump,” Jindeok huffed during the break while sponsors showed off new products and whatnot to the audience. The gamers still in the contest were being fed and Baekhyun was munching on a fried chicken leg while Jindeok was eating a chicken biscuit sandwich.

“I thought I could make it,” Baekhyun countered with his mouth full.

“It was a double jump gap and you didn't have that upgrade,” Jindeok pointed out like his mistake earlier was blatantly obvious.

“It was a regular gap,” he argued.

“If that was true you would have made it,” she deadpanned.

“Oh no, is the ship sinking already?”

Plopping down at the table across from the couple was Minseok and his brother, a sly smirk on the formers face. Jindeok glared at her old guardian as she considered kicking him under the table, but she didn't have to as Baekhyun leaned forward and whacked the brunet on the top of his head with his knuckles. She chuckled at Minseok's scrunched up face.

“Shut up. We won't break up because of something so stupid,” Baekhyun informed matter-of-factly as he sat back in his seat.

“Fine, didn't have to hit me though,” Minseok grumbled rubbing his head sourly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter