No Fast Travel Here

Select, Start
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

No Fast Travel Here

The match was best three out of five and it was close every time. Baekhyun won the first round, then Jindeok took the next two and he won the fourth. The audience was eerily quiet during the last round watching the screen along the back of the stage that had their game footage projected onto it. When the match finally ended there was a stretch of silence before the audience erupted into cheers and insane noises.

“Congratulations Overshadowed!” Kris announced.

Jindeok felt lightheaded and like she was dreaming. Had she really won? As her username was chanted and Kris hauled her to her feet to face the crowd reality set in and a grin crossed her face.

“Holy ,” she breathed. “I can't believe I won! Oh my – Yes!” she said pumping her fist into the air.

Chuckling Kris patted her on the back. “You did good,” he said over the chaos of cheering.

Jindeok grinned at the host before she turned to Baekhyun, who was just standing from his computer looking sour and disgruntled. Bouncing on the balls of her feet Jindeok dashed over to him with a wide grin on her face.

“You're still as amazing as ever!” she gushed without even thinking. “I can't believe I got the chance to go head-to-head with you, thank you. Thank you so much, you have no idea how much this means to me.”

“No duh, you won,” he deadpanned.

Jindeok shook her head. “No, I was certain I was going to lose. I've never won against you in a team match, I was so ready to lose. You're so cool oppa!”

“Oppa?” Baekhyun raised a brow at her as gasps could be heard from the audience.

“Ah, um,” Jindeok stammered as her face heated up.

That had been her ultimate mistake which led to Jindeok hiding behind Minseok, her guardian, after the event for the rest of the convention that day. She even went as far as to buy a snapback to hide her face better and a hoodie two sizes too big to cover most of her outfit so people wouldn't recognize her. Though that didn't stop Minseok from questioning her on her slip of the tongue, but she just shook her head and told him to forget it.

But no one could forget it. By the time Jindeok was able to escape the stage and Kris, who kept going on and on about the new game characters that Baekhyun was sticking around to demonstrate with another SM-g employee, the gaming community had exploded with rumors and clips of Jindeok's outburst on every social media site. She started to get so many pings and PMs that she had to turn off notifications on her phone just so it would stop buzzing in her pocket.

“Do you want to know what they're saying about you two now?” Minseok teased as he scrolled through his phone.

They were standing at a demonstration booth, which had been a last minute request by the manager for 0verShadowed to join since she was attending the Con. If it wasn't for this she would have booked it hours ago to avoid the attention. Jindeok was waiting in a rather short line for her turn at the platformer (which she was not very good at).

Groaning she pulled the brim of the hat further down her face. “How bad is it?” she murmured.

“On what sort of scale?” Minseok inquired.

“Five Nights at Freddy's to Until Dawn VR DLC,” she replied mostly sarcastically.

“Then we're talking Half Life 3,” he answered.

Jindeok groaned again as she hung her head not wanting to know what that exactly meant, she just knew it couldn't be good. She pulled her teal glasses off to massage the bridge of her nose with a heavy sigh before sliding them back on to peek up at Minseok, who was still looking at his phone with a crooked grin on his face.

“Apparently the internet is simultaneously planning your funeral and wedding. How do you feel about a spring wedding with The Eve as a theme? Because that's what everyone is expecting,” he commented with a light chuckle.

“No,” she growled out wishing he had not said anything. “I knew I shouldn't have come. I knew it would just cause a mess.”

“But aren't you having fun?” he challenged glancing up from his phone.

“Would be having way more if no one knew who I was,” she muttered.

They shuffled forward in the line while Jindeok huffed again. Today was not suppose to be easy, but it also wasn't suppose to be this hard.

Minseok bumped his shoulder against hers pulling Jindeok out of her head and offering her a friendly and reassuring smile. Jindeok tried to grin back, but there was too much on her mind and the crawling fear that everything was ruined.

“Calm down and have fun. It'll blow over when something bigger comes along.”

The sun was starting to set and Jindeok had just reached the bus stop. She had planned to leave the center sooner, but on her way out people recognized her and circled her for autographs – which stunned her – and questions that she did her best at avoiding. When she finally managed to break away she decided that she would walk to a further bus stop to keep the other Con-goers from hovering over her and to get a moment of peace.

Dropping onto the bench under the metal and plexiglass structure she released a long sigh of relief as she removed the snapback and shoved it into her drawstring bag. Jindeok rubbed her forehead as she pinched her eyes sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter