First Boss Level

Select, Start
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First Boss Level

Diamond-G Con was more packed than Jindeok expected. She yanked the beanie on her head down more securely and pushed her teal framed glasses up the bridge of her nose as she walked the artist alley. Posters for sale on display with figurines, shirts with bright designs and comics and graphic novels being sold by their creators. It was a nerd’s haven for merch, but Jindeok was more concerned for the event she was invited to by one of the developers of The War.

She was squeezing through a crowd of well dressed cosplayers when her phone buzzed in the pocket of her fraying jean shorts, gray compression shorts underneath. Pulling it out she saw it was from her guardian that was to guide her to the game event at noon. He wanted to meet by the Blizzard booth so they could get to know each other. It was especially important since most people didn't know that 0verShadowed was a female gamer, but that was about to change that day. Jindeok didn't try to hide her gender, it just sort of played out that way as her gaming career took off – well it was still in the process of taking off, DG Con was the deciding factor.

“Overshadowed?” a friendly, yet curious voice called over the buzzing noise of the convention. Turning around Jindeok spotted the caller standing next to an orc cut out with a wave and a smile. He looked kind with cat-like features and a wide grin.

“That's me,” Jindeok waved back.

“Minseok, it's a pleasure to meet you,” he introduced as he held a hand out to her.

Stepping forward Jindeok shook the guy's hand, the knot in her gut turning. One person down, hundreds of thousands to go.

“Nice to meet you too. You can call me Jindeok if you would like, but Overshadowed is fine too. Whatever you're comfortable with,” she rambled nervously.

The guy named Minseok chuckled as he retrieved his hand. “First time being an invited guest at a con?” he asked folding his arms in a relaxed manor.

Jindeok dug the toe of her boot into the floor as she muttered, “That obvious?”

Minseok bobbed his head to the side as he squinted his eyes and scrunched up his nose. “Just a bit,” he teased.

She sighed dropping her head forward staring at her feet.

“It's fine, everyone gets like that. Even gaming idols,” he reassured kindly.

Lifting her head with wide eyes Jindeok frantically shook it. “Oh, no no. I'm no idol! I'm just a rookie,” she said with her pulse racing.

“Hate to break it to you, but Overshadowed is a well known and highly respected name around SM-games. People can't play The War or The Eve without hearing your username or seeing your scores.”

“I think you're confusing me with Spotlight, who actually should be here doing this event. Everyone knows him, not me,” she countered scuffing the heel of her boot against the ground causing the rubber to squeak loudly in the hall.

“Uh, he is,” Minseok said with a crease forming between his brows.

“Is what?”

“Spotlight is here. He arrived yesterday, he was on the SM-g panel.”

“What?” she boomed. “I was told he couldn't make it and that's why I was invited in.”

Jindeok anxiously pushed up her glasses again as she rocked on her heels. Spotlight was at DG Con, this was not suppose to be how things went. Jindeok wanted more time, needed a moment to think things through.

“I don't really know the answer to that, but we should start making our way to the main stage. You have to be fitted with a mic before the event goes on,” Minseok said. He gestured for her to start walking down the wide event hall, but Jindeok was too shocked to move. He put a hand on her back and gave a gentle push to get her going. “Come on, it'll be fine.”

Jindeok didn't quite believe that, but she walked alongside the cerulean shirted guy anyway, through the hyperactive convention center. Her heart leapt into when the stage came into view, time was ticking down and rapidly.

It's been years. He won't remember. It's been years. He won't remember, she chanted inside her head as Minseok guided her back stage.

There were people everywhere running about with gaming equipment in their hands and walkie-talkies on their hips that were connected to headsets they were muttering into. Minseok brought Jindeok over to a tall guy who looked like he was calling the shots as he gestured firmly at things across the room and leered at his underlings that spoke back. He was already intimidating and she hadn't even spoken to him yet.

When his gaze fell on Jindeok his expression darkened even more and the girl inched behind her guardian for protection. Minseok chuckled at her.

“Who's this girl?” the tall bleach blond asked sternly.

“Overshadowed,” Minseok answered matter-of-factly.

Like her username was some sort of magic word the guy's face went from scary scowl to almost pleasant smile as he turned to Jindeok. She shrunk behind Minseok even more.

“Overshadowed, it's so good to meet you in person. I'm Kris Wu, the guy who contacted you about the event,” he said politely. He even held out a large hand for her to shake, which she took hesitantly.

“Hi,” she said timidly. His mood change still freaking her out.

“Ah,” he paused to glance down at the iPad in his hands, tapping at the screen for a moment before looking back up at her, Minseok taking up station behind her again. “You're still able to play today, right?” Kris asked.

She nodded.

“Great! Spotlight was able to make it too, so we've changed the game plan slightly,” he said with a grin.

“Um, about that,” s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter