Nightlight

Of Coffee, Love, and Other Things That Leave Stains (Part 6)

Four months have passed since Junsu ‘put some insurance down’ on our relationship, and Junsu took to spending the night at my place whenever he could afford to with his busy schedule.

           While lying there next to him in the middle of the night my thoughts wander to thoughts of us, as my eyes wander his sleeping face which is glowing from the moon.  He was shining in the nightlight.

           I slowly and gently brush the sleeping man’s face, my fingers moving over his cheeks, over his nose, soft lips, and strong jaw-line. I start to remove my hand from his handsome face, when his hand snakes up and presses my palm back to his cheek.

           “Why were you going to stop?” He whines slightly, his voice still husky with sleep.

           “I didn’t mean to wake you” I softly respond.

           “I was only half asleep”.

           “I should have known,” I joke, “I didn’t hear your deep-sleep-foghorn snoring”.

           “Watch it missy” he responds his eyes still closed, laughter in his voice.

           “You know, I can’t fall asleep very well without your snoring” I whisper as I move in to kiss his forehead.  There is a long, comfortable silence as Junsu opens his eyes and we both stare at each other in the nightlight.  Suddenly Junsu turns over and reaches for his jacket, which is on the floor next to the bed.

           “I wasn’t going to do this now, I had made special plans, but right now feels right” he says turning back to me.  I can’t figure out what he means, but then he lifts his hands up.  He opens his hands and shows me what he had grabbed from his jacket.

           There in the nightlight, with the moon beaming down on it was the most beautiful and simple diamond ring I have ever seen.  All I can do is smile at Junsu, my Junsu, as tears form in my eyes.