Yuta the (Tooth) Fairy

Supernatural Encounters

“I can’t believe it. You’re here?” Yuta beamed, showing his pearly whites as he approached Aeri’s desk. She settled herself in front, not wanting to bother the people who want the back row. Yuta then claimed the desk beside her, his grin never fading.

“Nakamoto-ssi.” She simply replied, Yuta was her classmate from her previous school. They were not even that close yet why was he suddenly showing interest over her existence. He let his backpack sprawl over the floor as he faced her. “Call me Yuta!” he insisted. Before she could reply, the school’s bell rang making the rest of the class sit on their desks.

“Alright everyone, settle down.” Their homeroom teacher instructs as he was looking at the class registry on his clipboard. Aeri looked towards his direction not believing who was in front of her. I can’t believe it! He didn’t even offer me a ride!

“Good morning.” He says with a straight tone, his words were slurring a bit. (as expected of a non-native Korean speaker) “Zhang Yixing. But call me Lay if it’s easier.” He introduced himself as he placed his clipboard on top of his table. “I’ll be, obviously, your homeroom teacher and Chinese language teacher. Let’s get on with the introductions.”

The period went on with the rest of the students introducing themselves- name and what school they were from. Most of them were from schools Aeri had no idea existed.

Aeri waited for the room to be emptied before approaching her brother. “How come I don’t know? And I wasn’t offered a ride because?” her head shook a bit as she waited for his answer.

“You didn’t ask, and I walked too, Aeri.” He patted her head, “Don’t be late to your next class, Ji-haksaeng.” He teased as he left her in the room, scoffing at his actions.

“You know it’s funny you don’t know your brother was a teacher here.” Yuta said as he leaned his shoulders on the doorway. Aeri groaned as she brought out her schedule, reviewing her next class. “Oh, I have math too, let’s go together.” Yuta kept on blabbering. Aeri smiled at him and nodded, “Alright.” She was happy to have made a not-so-new friend in her new school.

---

“You’re not usually this excited around me Yuta. What’s up, honestly.” Aeri asked as she peeled the banana she brought. Second period ended smoothly and early, the class was still filled with introductions and Aeri was certain the rest of the day would go through the same. Fortunately, Yuta and a few other students had the same schedule with her gaining her a small group which she immediately grew fond of.

The blockmate was composed of six persons (there were more but they were the one's who stuck together) - Aeri, Yuta, Doyoung, Taeyong, Yeri and Irene. Being dismissed early, they spent their free time in the cafeteria, chatting and learning things about one another.

Yuta was the noisiest and messiest she thought as he was eating his sandwich quite messily but he was someone where she knows she could be comfortable with. He was like a childhood friend she never knew she had. When she looked at Yuta she felt, abnormally, safe.

Doyoung was savage. He was a . It was not that long where they learned how Doyoung was savage, he was not a but he knew how to burn someone and pinpoint everything wrong about them. If Yuta was noisy, Doyoung was the one who kept Yuta coherent, at the very least.

Taeyong was ethereal. She had not seen someone so handsome up close. At first she thought Taeyong was really scary but he was more shy and fluffy- He would always be next to his best friend, Doyoung, where he would comment “ah I’m so glad I’m with you.” or “ahhh doyoung eottokhae.” And a lot more- She swore he had more aegyo than her.

Yeri, too, was quite savage and outgoing. She went on telling stories, making impressions even coining words which made everyone laugh.

Irene was quite mysterious. She often kept a straight face but Aeri was certain she would be amazingly beautiful if she showed her teeth. She would simply nod or throw single-word comments to their stories. Nonetheless. Aeri had not felt anything awkward around her.

She honestly felt like she belong.

“Well, I suddenly feel attached.” Yuta comments as he “wipes” his mouth with the paper napkin.

“I feel honoured.” She rolls her eyes, taking his words as a joke.

“Hey Aeri, why do you wear that?” Yeri asked as she pointed to her necklace, it had a pendant with a fairy holding a crystal or gem of some sort. Aeri never knew what the stone was made of but she had the pendant for as long as she can remember. She felt at ease when she wore it, it was simply her “comfort zone” and not wearing it made her feel restless.

“I’ve had it since I was young, my mom, adopted me and well, gave it to me. I feel anxious if I won’t wear it.” She said as she played with the pendant between her fingers. “Why?” she added.

The five of them exchanged confused glances but did not press on her further.

“I see but how did you learn about this school? Did you really want to study here?”Irene asked, almost shocking everyone as it might have been the longest sentence she had dropped.

Aeri replied as she put her necklace under her blouse, “Well, it was near town and my brothers pressed me on trying to apply here. So I did. It’s a small school so I like it.” She said, her voice was a bit excited. She never understood the school though. It was small yet it seems like there’s so many classes and so many subjects.

---

As expected, the rest of the day ended quickly. Yuta offered Aeri to walk her home.

“Aeri…” he tries to call out but manages to say her name just above a whisper.

“Yuta, why?” she turned her head towards him as they kept their pace.

The tone of his voice was quite serious. “Do you believe in fairies?” He stopped in his tracks; his face was quite- blank. Aeri could not put a finger on it. It would be weird if she said she did not believe because she did. Her brothers had fed her stories of the mystical world, beautiful and the scary. She wanted to believe- she did that these creatures or at least some maybe amongst the human world.

“Yuta. It’s a weird question, but I do. I really do.” She tilted her head a tad as she inches closer to him. “I don’t know why you’re putting such a funny face with that question but- yes I do. I believe I have met one. Actually.” She nodded. It was weird; it was as if she was trying to comfort Yuta. She wanted to ask what was wrong but he managed to reply.

The corner of his lips slowly turns upwards, a small smile forming across his visage. “Will you tell me more?”

She nodded, quite happy someone other than her brothers was interested with her encounter. “It was one tooth.” She said as she took a small step forward, urging him to walk as well. “One of many teeth.” She added.

“Ah. The tooth fairy.” His smile was slowly turning to a grin but it was not seen by her.

“Yes. He was so- unfair. Usually I get 500 won for each tooth, but then there was a time where suddenly he gave me a hundred. It’s as if he was tripping on me. I was so annoyed that I threw the coin outside window.” She laughed, remembering how she shouted “What is this?! You cheap-“

“-skate.” Yuta said as if she ended her sentence but Aeri simply nodded along, engrossed with her own story. “I know! She or he was so- Anyway, after throwing the coin outside, five coins was thrown towards me, hitting the back of my head. It hurt but hey- I got what I needed.”

Yuta laughed. “I swear! It was one time! We were classmates and it was cute how you were telling everyone the tooth fairy exists.” His eyes grew bigger, realizing what he just said.