Part 1

Kittens Bring People Together

Bang Yongguk was stunningly handsome.

After a careful evaluation, Daehyun had decided that "stunning" was the perfect word to describe him.

There were two aspects to Yongguk's popularity. First, his Instagram profile. He was the type of person who posted pictures twice a month at best, pictures with no captions and more often than not a black and white filter. His posts were somehow considered to be the very definition of art and would be talked about until he posted again.

The second aspect was his image in real life. He lived up to the expectations of his aesthetically pleasing Instagram profile. Not only did he look amazing at all times, he also gave off a mysterious vibe. Stunning, as Daehyun had decided.

And he wasn't the only one who thought so, in fact he found himself quite lonely in the sea of girls who were just as captivated as he was.

That was only because the guys weren't so open about the fact that they too found Bang Yongguk insanely attractive.

Except for Daehyun's best friend, Jongup. He had no problem saying, "So beautiful," every time Yongguk would happen to walk by. On the other hand Daehyun had problems with that, since each time it happened he would experience a minor heart attack.

Daehyun was perfectly content with just admiring from afar. His spot at the back of the class was ideal for that (some would call it staring, but Daehyun found that to be a very harsh word). Seeing that Yongguk was often distant during class, looking to the side, Daehyun had a perfect view of his profile.

And he didn't need Jongup to ruin it all for him by running his mouth.

Jongup didn't understand that point of view at all. He made sure to voice his opinion over and over again.

"Why don't you just talk to him?"

Daehyun rolled his eyes. "You're either stupid or you don't know me."

"I don't see why not. He's not the type who hides behind a group of friends, he's quite approachable."

"Approachable? Him?" Daehyun huffed. "It's easy for you to say, you're one half of the couple which everyone on campus considers 'relationship goals'."

"That's not true," Jongup protested, but a self satisfied smile was tugging at his lips.

"Whatever. I'm content with the way things are. I don't need to talk to anyone, I'd rather just focus on my studies and—"

Jongup hit Daehyun on the head with a pen. "Right, but you aren't exactly focusing on your studies. You spend most of our classes and breaks staring longingly and sighing. That's not what focusing looks like, unless you're taking a class called Bang Yongguk."

Daehyun felt the heat rise to his cheeks. He smacked Jongup's shoulder, only making the other chuckle.

"Shut it. And how exactly is talking to him supposed to help? That will only make me think about him more."

Jongup twisted his pen, thinking about it for a moment. "It doesn't hurt to try."

"Getting rejected hurts," Daehyun muttered, leaning over his notebook to continue scribbling on the margins.

"Suit yourself." Jongup shrugged. That meant that Daehyun had won that round, but Jongup wasn't going to just give up.

As the class dragged on, Daehyun's gaze found its way back to Yongguk. He was sitting alone as always, having comfortably raised his legs on the chair beside him. He was writing something in his notebook, although Daehyun doubted it was notes about world's literature. His dark hair fell over his face, hiding his eyes. For a moment Yongguk stopped writing to tuck his hair behind his ear.

Daehyun sighed. Jongup nudged him. Daehyun returned it. It went on for a little while, until they finally attracted some attention.

Whose?

Yongguk looked up from his notebook, giving the two of them an unreadable look.

They momentarily froze. Jongup slightly sank in his seat, giving Daehyun the chance to react. He did the most logical thing – he smiled. And then Yongguk smiled right back. After that he returned his gaze to his notebook.

Daehyun let his head fall, pressing his forehead on the desk. He felt like he would never recover from the smile he had received from Bang Yongguk.

* * *

On one hand, Daehyun had a problem with procrastination. On the other hand, he also worked best under pressure.

That was why he had found himself in the library, four hours before closing time, working on an assignment that was due the day after.

When the four hours were up, Daehyun could proudly say that he had managed to finish his assignment and he walked out of the library with a smile on his face.

He stopped to plug in his headphones, but froze when he spotted none other than Bang Yongguk.

He was sitting on the ground, petting a kitten. His bag was left by his side, suggesting that he'd been there for a while.

Daehyun needed a moment to process what he was seeing.

Because before him wasn't the mysterious, intimidating loner Bang Yongguk. Before him was a simple cat lover with the brightest smile Daehyun had ever seen. He had never seen Yongguk smile like that – or at all for that matter.

But it wasn't meant to be, since Yongguk eventually had to notice that he was being looked at. He glanced up and, as if he had been caught doing something extremely embarrassing, he blushed.

Daehyun had to fight the overwhelming urge to put in his earphones and flee. But he knew that if had fled, he never would have forgiven himself. So he gathered his guts and walked over.

"Hey," he said with a friendly smile.

Yongguk waved, holding the kitten in his other hand.

Daehyun knelt beside Yongguk and reached out, but the kitten hissed and became restless.

Yongguk drew her closer to his chest, hushing her softly.

Daehyun found himself amidst a war between disappointment of being rejected by a kitten, and amazement at how gentle Yongguk was being.

"Don't take it to heart," he told Daehyun. "She was hurt when I first found her, it took her a few days to let me touch her."

Daehyun raised his eyebrows. "A couple of days? You mean... For days you've sat in front of the library just to earn a kitten's trust?"

Yongguk's smile faded and he looked down. "I guess I did..."

"I'm not even going to pretend that's not amazing," Daehyun said.

The other lifted his gaze. "I'd do anything for a kitten," he admitted.

"I would too."

Yongguk cracked a smile. "I don't think we've officially met. I'm Bang Yongguk. I'd shake your hand, but mine are full."

Daehyun needed a moment to stop his heart from bursting. "I'm... Jung Daehyun."

Yongguk nodded. "Jongup's friend, right?"

Daehyun wasn't surprised, but he had to admit that he was a bit disappointed that he would forever be known as a popular guy's friend.

"You know Jongup," he said, not as a question but as a flat assumption.

And Daehyun wasn't even mad, he was happy to have someone like Jongup as a best friend and he was especially glad that he had managed to be the one to snatch him as a roommate.

He was just a bit bitter that his crush knew him as Jongup's moon.

Or at least that was the conclusion Daehyun had jumped into.

"I don't, but I know his boyfriend," Yongguk said.

"You do?"

"He's my best friend." As he petted her head, the kitten started purring. Yongguk pouted in thought. "Weird that we've never met. I've heard so much about you without even knowing who you are."

"Now I'm curious to know what you've heard about me," Daehyun said curiously.

"Nothing bad," Yongguk reassured, "Just... Himchan whines a lot, he says that he wants to share a room with Jongup."

"So I'm in the way of their love," Daehyun said with a nod.

That made Yongguk chuckle. Daehyun smiled, feeling proud of himself for making the person everyone viewed as intimidating laugh.

In fact that was the moment when Daehyun fully realized that it had been silly of him to ever consider Bang Yongguk intimidating.

"If you're in the way of their love then so am I! And apparently I'm not a good enough roommate for Himchan."

Daehyun grinned. "I'm sure you are. But we should let them hook up sometime... You can come over and Jongup can go to his beloved."

"That's not a bad idea at all." Yongguk scrunched up his nose. "But we'll have to discuss whose room is getting demolished."

Daehyun playfully punched his arm. They both laughed. Then a silence occurred. A comfortable one, during which Yongguk gave all his attention to the kitten and Daehyun gave all his attention to him.

"I don't want to leave her," Yongguk said, breaking the silence.

"Then don't," Daehyun said. "Take her with you."

Yongguk pouted sadly. "No animals allowed, remember?"

"Right." Daehyun sunk slightly, he had forgotten for a moment that they were in the same dorm. "Then sneak her in."

Yongguk hesitated. "You think that would work? And to keep her hidden the whole time?"

"Can you take her home?" Daehyun asked.

Yongguk thought for a second. "Yeah... I suppose."

"Then you only have to keep her hidden until the next time you go home. I'll even help you!" Daehyun stood up. "Let's do it."

Yongguk stood up with a little difficulty as his hands were occupied. Then he frowned when he realized that his bag was still on the ground. Daehyun picked it up for him.

"We can put her in my backpack to get her in the dorm," Daehyun suggested as they started walking.

"Thank you. Really, thank you."

"Any time," Daehyun said and smiled. Yongguk smiled back.

The mission was ridiculously serious. They stopped a street away from the dorm to stuff the kitten in Daehyun's backpack. They decided to take out his notes and notebooks to avoid squishing her and to put Yongguk's hoodie in for further kitten safety. Yongguk took his bag from Daehyun and carried the stuff they'd taken out of the backpack. Then it was smuggling time.

Despite the fact that the halls were mostly empty, the two of them flinched at every sound, getting a bit closer every time they heard anything. As they got closer to Yongguk's room, he grabbed Daehyun's hand and pulled him in, dramatically closing the door. They both started to laugh.

Daehyun carefully took his backpack off and opened it. The kitten was slightly restless, so Yongguk picked her up to soothe her. He was still chuckling and so was Daehyun.

"We've just smuggled a kitten," he said, shaking his head.

"We did!"

Daehyun sighed, glad to see Yongguk so happy. The complete opposite of how gloomy, borderline sad he always looked during their lessons.

"I'm sure you'll take good care of her... I should probably go now," Daehyun said. He was overwhelmed by everything that had happened so far and he needed some time to let it all settle and tell Jongup all about it.

"You can stay a little if you want," Yongguk suggested.

Daehyun shook his head. "I really do have to go, but thank you." He wen to pick up his stuff from where Yongguk had left them. Even though he wasn't, the excitement he'd been bottling up made it seem like Daehyun was in a hurry. Because of that Yongguk gave up on trying to make him stay.

"Well, then make sure to stay in touch."

"You bet," Daehyun said, stepping back.

"See you tomorrow." Since the kitten had climbed on Yongguk's shoulder, he had a free hand to weave.

Daehyunwaved back and went out. When he put some distance between himself andYongguk's room, he looked around to make sure he was alone, and jumped up in celebration.