Chapter 8: A Reparation

This Heart Beats For You

Bo Young was rushing around like a whirlwind. Her bags were packed and waiting by the door. She checked her appearance for the nth time, fixed her hair, touched up her lipgloss, worried her dress in place. She couldn’t help but feel nervous. Hyung Sik is picking her up and together they are headed to her parent’s house, back to her hometown in Jeongpyeong some 2 hours away. It wasn’t the first time she was taking Hyung Sik home; he’s certainly met her family before. But not since they had resumed their “friendship” again. Her stomach felt full of butterflies.

 

It has been several weeks since that night she found him by her front steps; that night when he declared his feelings remain unchanged. He was never shy in declaring them, not to her at least. The man wore his heart on his sleeves for anybody who isn’t blind to see. Even now, after he made his claim to win her once more, it was as if a burden lifted from his shoulders, as he wooed her with a purpose that takes her breath away. She was more circumspect, once bitten twice shy and all that; and even though she has not returned the words he wanted to hear, she could not keep her affection from him hidden for too long.

 

They’ve started to spend more time together. Her schedule is slowly easing up as her drama wrapped up. She is long overdue for a rest period. Bo Young had thrown herself in a frenzy of work, those years he was away, to keep her mind busy and her body tired. Being busy meant less time for introspection, for overthinking things. And she continued blindly along, slowly gathering the pieces of her heart. She did not blame Hyung Sik, just as she hoped that he did not blame her. She dared not hope for a reconciliation, fearing further expectation on her part would only add to her heartache. Her only wish was that he would come to understand the reasons behind her actions. Her heart leaped in when she saw him standing there, looking lost and forlorn. They had further conversation that evening, since sleep was impossible after that.

 

“I was upset. I felt like I didn’t matter to you.”

She was quick to explain what she couldn’t before, when he had left abruptly.

“I’m sorry I hurt you, but I’m not sorry for making that decision. If I had to go over and re-live that part of our lives, I would still make the same decisions because I believed it was for my family’s benefit. But I would have gone about it differently, and not have each other hurt the way we did.”

“Did I make the right decision? Should I have not enlisted so quickly? I felt like a coward for running away, but I wasn’t strong enough to stay and not be with you.”

“I think it was for the best; we needed time apart. We couldn’t have done that had you stayed, as painful as it was to see you leave. And I think we would have hurt each other more in the end.”

"I felt helpless, lacking as a man, when I thought my love should have been enough to get us through. I couldn't stand the thought that you didn't need me..." his voice choked, as his emotions caught up with him.

"It was never because I didn't love you," she said softly. "I was foolish to think we would be different from others, dating secretly without consequences. You and I knew deep down that something was bound to happen. It is not a fairy tale after all."

Though there was that initial frenzy from their agencies after the photographs were found, the lack of concrete evidence to support the rumors about them simmered and died down on it’s own accord. The well known paparazzi agency found fresh fodder on the expense of another actor for their expose, and their unconfirmed relationship was brushed aside for the more risque exploits. Perhaps it helped that his agency had some experience dealing with this agency and was able to contain further inquiries. Soon thereafter Bo Young terminated her old contract and started anew with Blossom.

 

“I was selfish for leaving you. And though deep down I knew what you did had to be done, I couldn’t help the way I felt. Even now, to be honest with you, I still think we could have borne any rumors together.” He sighed and took her hands in his. “I cannot lose you again...”

After a while, he cleared his throat and said, “I’m glad you didn’t marry whoever he is.”

She hid a smile, hands still ensconced in his. “That has never been a possibility... Although, he is cute…,” she added.

“Ai-ishhh! How can you say that to me?! How many other guys were there, just waiting for me to leave so they can try and date you?”

She laughed and just squeezed his hands harder.

They were sitting by the top steps of her house, and Hyung Sik dropped down to kneel to face her fully. His hands enclosed hers possessively, and she saw the way he stared as if drinking her in, looking deeply into her eyes, his gaze dropping to her lips which parted unconsciously by themselves.

“Leaving you was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, more than all my military training combined. I regretted each day I spent away from you. And not a single day passed I didn’t think of you. There hasn’t been anybody else, only you. In my heart, it has always been just you.”

.

.

.