Chapter 7: A Rewrite

This Heart Beats For You

 

"I can't get over the costumes and makeup," Bo Mi exclaimed. She and Bo Young were sitting in back of the car, with Ki Bang driving and his wife Hee Kyung in the front. They just finished watching "Cats,the musical." They've seen the performance a couple years ago, and it garnered such popularity that it ended up returning to Korea for another run.

"I'm glad they brought the musical back," Hee Kyung said, turning to her husband, "Good thing you got us tickets; it sold out again very quickly." She smiled at him sweetly.

They had driven from Haori theatre back to Gangnam to drop Bo Young off. They continued chatting about the casts and the musical. Bo Young enjoyed musicals immensely and found herself humming the song "Memory" from the show.

"Woah," Ki Bang exclaimed, "Bo Young-ie, …isn't that...?"

They had rounded the corner and caught a glimpse of her house.

"Let me out here, guys. I'll walk up."

"All right, call me," Bo Mi hugged her friend.

Bo Young started walking up the stone-flagged path.

.

 

She saw the two were still talking. She was still quite a-ways and couldn’t hear the conversation well. She then heard his exclamation; saw her dongsaeng get up to go inside; caught the brief glance her sister threw at her.

"...talk to her now."

.

He turned around, his eyes registering surprise.

They stood still just staring for what seemed like forever; the lone streetlight casting a spotlight where they stood, putting them in sharp relief from the shadows of the night. She broke their eye contact.

They both tried speaking at once.

"You're here--"

"I thought you left--"

Then fell silent once more.

.

She started again, belying the anxiety she feels.

"Did my sister con you to do something?"

"Anieyo, we were just catching up."

"Are you going to start shooting another drama?"

"In a few months. I have a few cfs first. When do you go back shooting?

"I have a flight tomorrow. It’s not until later in the morning, thank goodness."

"I'll drop you off then."

She glanced up in surprise, " oh, but you don't have to do that--"

"I know. But I want to."

She bit her lips and nodded.

"Bo Young-ie. Is it too late for us? Have I lost you forever?"

She heard the weight of emotions behind his words.

"We're not like chapters in a book you can set down and pick up where you left off..." her voice trailing softly.

"No, but you can turn a page and start anew."

She drew a deep breath and looked up to meet his eyes.

"If we are truly meant to be, then, we should let time run its course. Maybe then we can rewrite our story."

Hyung Sik took two steps towards her until she was but a hand' s span away. He looked at her as if he needed to stamp the memory of her in his mind: the contours of her face, the way her hair billowed softly in the breeze, her eyes shiny and misted with emotions, the way she bit her sweet tender lips.

He longed to sweep her back in his arms where she belongs and kiss her senseless again until both of them are panting for breath. Instead he reached out to tuck an errant slip of hair behind her ear.

"How can I believe in destiny when she could not bring you back to me?”

“Destiny or not, we are meant for each other. I will not make the same mistake again of losing you.” He whispered.

Hyung Sik touched her lips with his thumb, ghosting its shape; his eyes never leaving her face. And there they stood, facing each other, braving away the distance that separated them; allowing their hearts a glimpse of what can be once more.