Chapter 4: A Retrospect, in parts...

This Heart Beats For You

Part 1

 

2 years ago…

.

“Shh, come on. Kajja.” Bo Young grabbed his arm and dragged him away from the room. She was trying not to giggle. Her sister is asleep in the next room but has a bad habit of waking up at the most inappropriate time. Her dongsaeng is generally a sound sleeper, but somehow had woken before at the slightest noise they made. Of course, Hyung Sik found it hilarious and would often purposely make her laugh.

They tiptoed past her sister’s room down the stairs, avoiding the usual creaky joints on the steps. It was a difficult maneuver since he kept trying to sneak in kisses.

“Aissh, you, if she wakes up, you will have to go home,” she whispered, trying to contain the laughter in her voice.

“Ok, ok,” he said, then he bent and swooped her up in his arms, taking the last few steps in one stride to reach the bottom.

So surprised was she that she let out an unladylike screech, and quickly covered with her hands.

Her eyes were big as saucers as she stared at Hyung Sik while he made his way to the farthest, darkest corner of her living room.

“What are you doing?”

“Ssh, you said be quiet. We can hide here.” And with that he fell to kissing her lips.

Her arms wound their way around his neck. Still carrying her, he leaned forward to brace her on wall. Bo Young is small enough that Hyung Sik had no trouble maintaining their position. His mouth claimed hers in a passionate kiss, cheeks hollowing as their kisses deepened. She was fully aware of his physical response and she felt a surge of thrill to be the one causing it. His lips followed a sweet path along her jaw to the hollow of her neck, leaving trails of fire she felt down to the tips of her toes. She whispered his name and he looked up with eyes glazed with passion, before resuming kissing her senseless once again.

“You drive me crazy, “ he whispered, barely moving away from . “I want you.”

She gulped, hearing his words. “I want you too. But not like this, not here,” she stammered, her nerves overtaking her.

Hyung Sik set her down, but kept her imprisoned between his arms. His tall form towered over her, and she had to lean back to look up at him. He bent down to kiss her, slow tantalizing kisses until she couldn’t resist but reach up to bring him closer. Now it was her turn to whisper to him, “you’re driving me crazy.”

His smile was dazzling upon hearing her words. Bo Young knew she would have to send him home soon. She knew Hyung Sik would wait and would not push her until she’s ready, but she can sense her resolve to remain chaste wavering. She would not be able to resist him much longer. Not that I want to; omg, she thought, her face flushing more deeply than she thought possible after their kisses.

Hyung Sik knew what was running in her mind. He is a perceptive man after all, specially when it comes to Bo Young. He could sense her hesitation and the desire simmering underneath her self imposed restraint. He would have taken her there and then, but he was lucid enough to realize this was not the proper time nor place.

Sensing how wound up she still was, he eased himself off of her embrace. He lifted her chin to kiss her lightly.

“When the time is right, I will love you like you’ve never been loved before,” he promised huskily.

 

Both had tossed and turned all night.

 

 


 

Part 2:

 

 

Yeodul, ilgup, yeosut, dausut, net, set, dul, hana. With a final grunt, he set the weights down. Sweat poured down his face, trickling down to cover his chest in a fine sheen. He grabbed a towel to wipe himself, his arms flexing to show off his muscular biceps, evidence of the hard work he’s put in. His exercise regimen has been quite rigorous, as much as he could squeeze in on his free time. His schedule has been packed of late. And though his current drama called for his role to wear tailored suits most of the time, he also has scenes that require him to be shirtless. He hated it. He hated the workout regimen involved to maintain this physical form. Fortunately his apartment complex has a gym well-equipped with exercise machines, weights, treadmills, and ellipticals. Having the gym readily accessible certainly helped since Hyung Sik never did like any regimented form of exercise to begin with.

He took a quick shower, grabbed a towel to dry his hair and started to get dressed. He put on a white tee and sweat pants. His shirt stretched tight across his broad shoulders, and his chest muscles were more visibly defined after his workout. He was oblivious to the admiring glances thrown his way by the handful of female staff in the gym. He was too engrossed in his phone. There were multiple messages and missed calls during his workout and he hurriedly scrolled through them. The missed calls were from his managers with texts asking him to call back; the voice mails were of the same.

He stepped off the elevator at his apartment floor and called up his manager.

“Hyung Sik-ah where are you?” his manager said as soon as he picked up the call, “I’ve been trying to reach you.”

“I was in the gym. What’s going on?”

“Get dressed. I’m almost there to pick you up. We need to go to the agency headquarters. I’ll tell you more in the car. Stay in the apartment.”

 

Hyung Sik was puzzled. He changed into his favorite ripped jeans and added a button down blue plaid shirt on top of his tee. His black vibrato cap and mask completed his ensemble. While waiting for his manager, he tried calling Bo Young. They were supposed to meet later in the evening and he wanted to make sure she knew he might be late. The person you are trying to reach is unavailable. Please try again later. Beep beep beep.

Less than 10 minutes later his doorbell rang.

 

.

.

The agency was still abuzz with people still working even though it was already 6 in the evening. His face was grim as he and his manager walked into Mrs. E's office. Her assistant and a couple of other higher up managers were also present, making the room quite crowded.

On Mrs. E’s desk, normally neat and organized, were cluttered papers strewn about. She gave them a nod while she continued talking animatedly on her phone. Conversation over, she turned and took a deep breath. Walking over her desk, she took a small key from her pocket and opened a small drawer. She peered over her glasses to look at Hyung Sik intently, while her hand held out several glossy photographs.

“Two things,” she started, “there’s no real pictures showing your faces together distinctly. You were quite visible in a few but not hers.” She paused then added, “but after-party photos of you both in ***** restaurant were taken.”

Hyung Sir took the photographs from her outstretched hands and examined them closely. Mrs. E continued talking but he hardly heard her, his heart beating wildly at this intrusion of their privacy. One set of photographs showed him leaving his black car with a tiny figure in the background hidden by the shadows. Multiple shots failed to capture the hooded figure as the shadows from the car and the lighting overhead cloaked her from view. Thank God for that, he thought. Then there were the other photographs. These showed them sitting together by the table, drinks on hand. He remembered that night vividly. They were celebrating her friend’s birthday, and went for drinks and snack afterwards in her favorite rooftop lounge. He was teasing her as usual and made her laugh out loud. Her head was thrown back, eyes squinted shut, mouth open in her mirth. The photographer captured her happiness, illuminating her whole face. His own was turned towards her, eyes never far from her face, and his hand had reached over to grasp her arm. They were not out on a “date” that night; several other friends had joined them in fact. But the shot was taken at such an inopportune time when the rest of their friends left the table briefly and it was just the two of them. There was no mistaking their relationship from these pictures.

“…and they agreed.”

He barely caught the end of Mrs. E’s remarks. He looked blankly for a second, his mind racing to Bo Young.

“I’ve spoken to her... and her agency,” she added the last bit with a little more sharpness in her tone. “They’re letting me handle this.”

Mrs. E went on full risk management mode, outlining her immediate plans to nip this in the bud before the media gets hold of the news. She has powerful connections herself and have used them to her advantages when called upon. She is a lady to be reckoned with when it involves any of her charges.

“The good thing is, that after-party can still be worked into something other than what it is.” She named a couple of people who were part of their group who would diffuse any rumors that might arise.

“I need to go and see her.” He stood abruptly and made his way to the door, his manager trailing behind.

“Hyung Sik,” he heard her call abruptly. “I need not tell you what you know already, “ she admonished. “Further incidents will have worse consequences for her, not just you.”

He left with those parting words ringing in his ears.

.