Chapter 1: A Reunion

This Heart Beats For You

Back in his apartment, he looked around, trying to reorient himself to his home. He was away just 2 years, certainly long enough to feel slightly off-centered now that he's returned. He was busy putting away his fatigues, no longer needed after finally being discharged from the military, when he heard a knock on his door.

"Are you really going to the christening?" his manager hyung asked as he walked into the room. "You sure about this?"

"Yes," he replied. "They're like family; I need to go." I want to go, he added silently.

His manager looked at him for a beat longer. "She won't be there, you know. She's still tied up filming in Jeju."

Hyungsik did not answer, but continued to get dressed.

Standing in front of his mirror, he donned the suit his manager prepared for him. His hands defly buttoning his white shirt, then putting on the dark blue suit jacket.

His movements methodical, focused on the task at hand.

Hyungsik has always been well disciplined, but his stint in the army only further enhanced this trait. He looked at himself in the mirror. The face that looked back at him is still the same guy, but different. The planes and angles of his face are more defined, matured; but those brown eyes that drive the women crazy have not changed much. They look at the world a little more thoughtfully, reservedly, but they remain "honey dripping." His mouth with its cupid bow and full lips are currently set in a grim line as he pondered what his manager said. His brows furrowed more as he considered this possibility. A deep sigh escaped from his chest, and he shook his head as if to clear it from further thoughts. In the past, he would have just rushed headlong into anything his mind was on, setting things in motion, consequences be damned. But he's learned patience since then. And now, even with thoughts a-churning, he took one last glance at the mirror and walked out of the room. He has learned and grew up in the process.

.

The car pulled up  to the circular driveway set among a well-manicured garden. There were several cars already parked, with familiar faces walking up the bricked path leading to the house. Gorgeous willow trees frame both sides of the path, their long trailing branches and leaves providing a scenic backdrop. The house itself is beautiful in its understated extravagance. Several French windows paneled in white line the front of the house. These were thrown wide open for the event, with the breeze gently ruffling the sheer French silk curtains inside.

He is greeted warmly by each guests he met. Everyone is welcoming him back, clapping him soundly on the back, shaking his hands, him bowing to each in turn. Hyungsik felt grateful for all his sunbaenims in the industry, their regard and support allowed him to do well as an actor. His transition from being an idol went smoothly because of them, realizing that he was fortunate they were willing teachers as he learned his trade. His dramas and films were smartly chosen along with the senior actors he worked with, thus earning him recognition as well.

Walking in, he spotted Ah In, chatting with fellow actor Ji Sub. They saw him and motioned for him to join them.

Ah In clasped him warmly in an embrace, drawing him in their conversation.

"Hyungsik-ah, when did you get back?" Ji Sub asks.

"Arrived late last night, sir," he bowed. "I stopped by my parents' house first before coming home."

"Ah, I wanted to call you out last night but thought I'd let you rest for once," Ah In joked.

The men continue to exchange pleasantries, as more guests arrive in the hall. Hyungsik greeted and chatted with fellow friends until an announcement hearded the guests to assemble in the atrium.

Introductions were made, afterwards the guests were warmly greeted by Jong Ki and Hye Kyo.

"Thank you for coming, dear friends and families, on this special day. We are here for our baby Jin Ae’s christening and we couldn't have picked a more special group of people to share this with," said Jong Ki. Hyungsik watched as Jong Ki lovingly wrapped his arm around his wife's shoulder, both with beaming smiles on their faces. And in her arms, a bundled baby in colorful dol bok can be seen asleep. HS felt a twinge deep inside his heart and could not stop the sigh that escaped from his lips.

The ceremony went smoothly, even Hye Kyo and Jong Ki looking teary as the blessing was performed. The baby cut the tension, showing off her tarae- busun feet as she kicked around, squealing and giggling, when the priest touched her forehead. The crowd laughed and several "aigoo, aigoo" and "kyeopta" were heard.

.

In the expansive veranda, guests were milling about and chatting. Hyungsik was talking with writernim about a certain project when he happen to glance up.

It's her, he thought. He felt frozen, even as he stood still. His sharp intake of breath went unnoticed, as writernim continued to talk and gesture animatedly about her script. Hyungsik felt like he was drowning, unable to take a breath, his heartbeat felt loud in his ears, and his surroundings became a blur as his eyes focused only on her.

She must have felt his gaze because she looked up and met his eyes in surprise.

She was in conversation with Hye Kyo's halmoni whose hands moved to gently clasp hers.

Bo Young's delicate heart shaped face colored slightly, and her eyes dropped his. She re-engaged her attention towards the older lady.

Hyungsik could not look away but schooled his expression to be neutral. Bo Young was a vision in a cream dress suit. Her lithe figure was accentuated by the simple cut of the suit; the buttoned down top was fitted to the waist, then flaring to a skirt that reach her mid thighs. She wore her matching cream high heels, her favorite shoes, he noticed. HS was able to end his conversation politely with writernim without the latter noticing his distraction. He bowed, then turned and made his way towards her.

.

Bo Young felt flustered. She turned her face away after the shock of meeting his eyes across the room. Under the guise of talking with Hye Kyo's halmoni, she turned her stance slightly to avoid meeting his eyes further, not trusting herself not to glance over his way.

She stammered a bit as she continued asking halmoni about her health issues. Halmoni must have noticed her discomfiture, attributing it to Bo Young's concern for her health mishap. The older lady clasped her hands affectionately in comfort.

She felt rather than knew when he was standing right behind her. Halmoni greeted Hyung Sik just as warmly, while the latter bowed deeply in respect.

"Bo Young-sshi," she heard his deep voice murmuring her name in greeting.

"Annyeong, Hyung shik-sshi," she replied. She turned to face him, proud her voice did not betray the nervousness she is feeling. He is standing next to her, as halmoni peppered him questions about his recent military experience. Bo Young took this opportunity to study him covertly.

I’ve forgotten how tall he is, she mused;. He looks healthy and fit, noting how well his suit clung to his broad shoulders and slim waist. Hyungsik has always been a good dresser. No matter what fashion, he's always been able to carry himself confidently. That has not changed, he's already handsome even in white tee shirt and jeans, but in tailored suits, he is simply irresistable. Omg. The thought came unbidden and unable to stop herself, she cleared , prompting the kind lady to flag a server for a glass of water.

Bo Young flushed pinker, "Kamsahmida, Halmoni, I'm fine."

She felt Hyung Sik’s hand on her elbow, while he turned towards halmoni, " Don't worry madam, we'll go and fetch her a drink."

Both bowed to the lady, and Hyung Sik guides her away from the crowd. Bo Young could not speak but followed him mutely, bowing here and there whenever they meet an acquaintance in their path. He seems set in their destination; his hand grasping her right elbow firmly to guide her out of the mass of people surrounding them. They stepped out of one of the French windows that opens to the other side of the garden. Here the lights were muted, being away from the general area of the party. He took a stone path to the left.

"Be careful, the steps are a bit uneven," he admonished, hand still on her elbow.

"W-where are we going?"

" Not far. There's a small gazebo just around the bend."

"You have been here before?" she asked.

"Ne. I visited a few times when Hye Kyo noona had dinner parties for UAA here."

They reached a beautiful gazebo overlooking a small pond. It wasn’t dark yet, so the lighting around the pond has not been . The sun was beginning to descend and the skies were bathed in swaths of oranges and reds and blues. It was a lovely evening. Murmured conversations from the party can be heard occasionally, the voices carried by the breeze to their location, but otherwise, they were secluded.

Both faced out towards the setting sun. For awhile neither spoke.

“I heard you did well in the army,” she ventured, after the silence became deafening.

“It went fine.” He paused and added with a sideglance at her, “I am happy to be back.”

“I’m glad you’re back.” She whispered softly.

“Are you?” Hyung Sik turned to look at her, his eyes searching her face intently. “Are you glad to see me?”

She glanced at him but couldn’t hold his gaze, not yet. Instead she nodded, then added in a much quieter voice, “I’m sorry, Hyungsik-sshi.”

Bo Young is rendered mute. She expected to see him here; after all, Hye Kyo is his colleague, while Jong Ki is hers. Both of them attending the christening is a given. She expected trepidation but nothing else. Instead, seeing him here, in the right now, shook her. The 2 years did nothing to lessen her feelings, yet she remains unable to bridge the gap between them.

She heard him sigh and face the horizon once more.

“I am sorry too.” He is quiet again. Everything he planned on saying to her is left unspoken on his lips. He had imagined this moment alone with her, of saying the things that needed to be said, to clear the air between them. But the words would not come. His heart remains full but his arms stayed empty.