new beginnings

If Looks Could Kill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So,” Youngjae pauses, looking down at his coffee, and Mark thinks that he’ll finally get to know what the younger had been squirming in his seat about since they got there. “I’m seeing someone.”

 

Ah, there it is.

 

“Already?” Mark replies, leaning against the back of his chair. He had been expecting this. “Weren’t you seeing that last guy like a month ago?”

 

Youngjae rolls his eyes and glances out the window. Under his breath, Mark hears him mutter, “Two months ago, but whatever.”

 

“Yeah, and I was the one who had to pick up ice cream for you at 10am because you wouldn’t get out of bed after he dumped you.”

 

That made the younger wince, “This one isn’t like that.”

 

Frowning, Mark saw how he had been a little harsh and said, “Forgive me for being a little skeptical, you just always pick bad guys.”

 

Youngjae had a type, that was pretty obvious. They all looked great in leather jackets and they all stole his heart, until they dumped in the worst way possible. Mark still remembers the sticky note break up. He didn’t even believe Youngjae until he was sent a picture of it. ‘its not working out’ was all it said, Youngjae found it after he woke up alone on his bedside table. That one had required two pints of ice cream and a lot more pints of beer.

 

“Well anyways, I really like him and I want you to meet him,” the younger suggested, his bright smile almost covering up the anxiousness in his eyes. Mark almost never approved of his best friend’s boyfriends but since Youngjae seemed so adamant, he thought he would at least entertain the idea.

 

“Already?” was all he said, sipping his iced coffee through the straw. He was faking innocent, Mark knew Youngjae had started seeing someone a few weeks ago but had been waiting for the younger to bring it up on his own.

 

Nodding, Youngjae’s smile seeming to be growing by the second, “We’ve been dating for 3 weeks now. Almost a month.”

 

Mark’s only reply was the quirk of his eyebrow, feigning surprise again. He wondered how long this one would last.

 

“He’s actually an underground rapper and he invited me to hang out with his friends and I figured since you rapped and were looking to get into the scene…,” Youngjae finally caught his eye and then said, “I thought maybe you’d want to come.”

 

The older had moved from the other side of the city a month ago and had thought it would probably be a good idea to start making friends in the area, but had been lazy about actually doing it. Where he was from, he was one of the better rappers in the area and definitely wanted to see what sort of talent they had out here.

 

He sighed, rolling the idea around on his tongue. Mark had to hand it to him, this was a pretty good incentive to meet Youngjae’s new boyfriend.

 

“Fine, but if he’s wearing a leather jacket, I swear to god Youngjae…”

 

The younger beamed and brought his mug up to his lips, and this time it was Mark’s turn to roll his eyes.



Mark found himself walking down an alley the next night and texting his well-meaning, but directionally challenged friend. Youngjae said that he would meet him there but his directions on how to actually get to wherever “there” was were getting on Mark’s nerves. What was “turn right next to the purple thing” supposed to even mean?

 

Up ahead, he saw a guy in all black with his hood up walking towards him. Mark’s instincts were to panic and walk the other way but about halfway to him, the guy stopped and turned towards a door that Mark swore wasn’t there 10 seconds ago. The guy took off his hood and unveiled messy, yet stylish black hair that complimented his sharp jaw line perfectly. He must have noticed someone staring because he glanced over to where Mark was standing.

 

If Mark wasn’t already paralyzed from the fear that he was about to get mugged, he would be turned frozen by the icy but inviting stare that the stranger shot him.

 

“Looking for something?” The guy said, his voice smooth and his smirk playful.

 

‘You’ was on the tip of Mark’s tongue before he stammered, “Um, I was looking for this club…”

 

“76?” and Mark nodded, deciding that 76 was probably what Youngjae meant when he said 67. That would make a lot of sense as to why nothing was coming up on google.

 

The guy flashed him a smile and nodded towards the door, “It’s over here.”

 

Mark felt a little guilty at thinking that he would probably have followed this guy whether or not it was where he was supposed to be going. Something about him just made Mark feel so drawn to him.

 

But he didn’t get the chance to introduce himself because as soon as they entered the main room Youngjae was in front of him, dragging some guy who was definitely wearing a leather jacket behind him. Mark snorted but it was covered up with Youngjae’s loud voice, “You came! I was beginning to think you wouldn’t!”

 

The brunette shook his head and jokingly said, “No your directions just .”

 

Youngjae glared back at him before his eyes flashed as if he just remembered the guy next to him, “Oh! This is Jaebum!”

 

Jaebum was tall with dark hair styled up. Mark thought that his eyes would have been scary if not for the two twin moles on his eyelid. He could feel his best friend watching his assessment of his boyfriend as Jaebum said, “You’re Mark, right? Youngjae’s told me all about you.”

 

Before he could help it, Mark’s eyes narrowed, “Did he?”

 

He watched as Jaebum wrapped an arm around Youngjae and saw how his eyes warmed looking towards the younger. “Yeah, said you rapped and made me watch some of your videos.”

 

Mark wanted to glare at his best friend but couldn’t find it in him when he saw how dreamily Youngjae was staring at his boyfriend. “And I have to admit, they were really good. ”

 

Adjusting his pastel pink cap nervously at the sudden compliment, Mark replied, “Oh, thanks…”

 

When he looked back up Jaebum was smiling while wiggling his lip piercing with his tongue, “Well let me show you around.”

 

Mark and Youngjae followed him as he started introducing them to the other guys there. As it turned out, some of the people that Mark had met before were here, so that was comforting.

 

They were talking with an over enthusiastic blonde when Jaebum said, “And that’s pretty much it. I would introduce you to Jinyoung but, well, he’s a little busy right now.”

 

His eyes glanced over to one of the couches where that guy from before was. Mark felt himself frown as he saw how Jinyoung was half on top of some guy, kissing down his neck.

 

“When isn’t Jinyoung busy?” The blonde, Jackson if Mark remembered correctly, laughed.

 

Jaebum nodded to that, smiling. Disappointment settled in Mark’s gut but he tried to push it away.



Towards the end of the night, Mark found himself getting drinks for him and Youngjae. He was barely paying attention when a dark figure slipped in next to him, leaning on the counter with ease.

 

“So you know Jaebum?” Hearing that smooth voice from before had Mark’s head lifting a little too quickly for his liking.

 

When he met Jinyoung’s gaze, he almost wished he hadn’t. The other’s lips were red, probably from kissing that other guy and his eyes were hooded, looking almost bored.

 

“Kind of,” Mark replied and then added, “I’m friends with Youngjae.”

 

“Ah,” came his short response as Jinyoung looked away, sipping his drink. Something tugged at Mark’s insides, wishing Jinyoung would look at him again. He wanted those sharp yet alluring eyes back on him, which made him frown. “That’s Jaebum’s new boyfriend, right?”

 

He still wasn’t looking at him but Mark saw how his eyes shifted over to where Youngjae and Jaebum were cuddled on the couch.

 

“Yeah,” was all he said, catching himself staring at Jinyoung’s side profile.

 

At the short response, Jinyoung looked back at him inquisitively. Mark could have sworn he saw those dark brown eyes give him a once over, or maybe that was just wishful thinking.

 

“What about you? Where’s your boyfriend?” Jinyoung’s voice dropped an octave, becoming deeper and drawing Mark in farther.

 

The brunette gripped his drink tighter, trying to not show how much the other affected him. Composing himself, or at least that was what he was aiming for, he said, “Nowhere, don’t have one.”

 

Instead of looking away like before,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter