Five

Hardship
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At some point, you will realize that you have done too much for someone, that the only next possible step to do is to stop. Leave them alone. Walk away. It’s not like you’re giving up, and it’s not like you shouldn’t try. It’s just that you have to draw the line of determination from desperation. What is truly yours will eventually be yours; and what is not, no matter how hard you try, will never be. Life is not a fairytale. There are no happy endings. But every day is an opportunity for a joyful middle. You just have to stop waiting for happiness and instead start creating it.

It’s been 5 months since that day. 5 months that I lived far away from my parents. Yes, I live far from them. It was hard at first but eventually, all the hardship that came, I have managed to overcome them. I don’t want to drag my parents into this mess. I know they wanted to help and take care of me but I wanted to be independent for my baby. For all the years that I worked hard, I saved a lot of money for me to start a new life. I have a small apartment in Seoul. I live near Jiyong’s company. I know I should be away from him but I can’t. My best friend also didn’t like the idea but I begged her and told her my reasons ‘til she agreed. If that decision makes me happy, then she doesn’t have the right to ruin my happiness. There’s just something that encourages me to see him every day, it kinda makes me feel sick if I don’t. I don’t know if it’s because of the baby. I was thinking that my child wants to see his dad. For being his secretary in 2 months; I knew every 7 am he will be at the café near his office. It was his daily routine before he comes to the office. So every 6:50 AM, I’m already at the café at the end table just only to have a glimpse of him. It makes me feel happy. After an hour, he will go to his office and it’ll be time for me to work.

I have a flower shop near my apartment. My best friend Chaerin, helps me to run my little flower shop. When I told her what happened to me and my plans, she supported me. She helped me convince my parents to let me be on my own. They agreed on one condition; Chaerin will be at my side and to be with me at all times, especially that I’m pregnant and we agreed to it. Chae lives next to my apartment. I’m so thankful to Chae for being here by my side or else I wouldn’t have managed to overcome the hardships that came to my life. It’s not easy to be alone, especially that you’re pregnant with no one to support your needs. You need to work hard. I’m so thankful that the flower shop is doing well.

My parents will always come here to Seoul every once a month to accompany me for my checkup. At first, I told them they don’t have to and Chae will be here but they insisted. They wanted to be sure that we are safe and healthy.

One day, I was busy arranging the flowers that I didn’t notice Bom visit the shop. Good thing she didn’t notice me, I can still hide from her. I didn’t expect her to be here. It’s good that she didn’t notice me and it was Chae who assisted her but I was curious about the man beside her. I didn’t clearly see him but he looks familiar. I wanted to ask her but I’m afraid to approach her. I’m 100% sure Jiyong already told her about what we said to him. I haven’t talked to Bom. I wanted to talk to her about it but my fear ceases me to do so. I also notice that Chae, Bom, and that man were close to each other. It means that both are regular customers here.

Later that day, I asked Chae about them. She said they were a couple. I got confused about what she said. As far as I know, Bom was still engaged to Jiyong. Chae told me they are indeed regular customers here. I didn’t notice them because they’re always here early in the morning, at the same time when I’m at the café to see Jiyong. My guts told me Bom is cheating at Jiyong. It gave me the courage to talk to her. After a week, I contacted Bom and she was so happy to meet me. I didn’t accept her reaction. I thought she will avoid me and get angry at me, but it never came. She was very happy and excited to meet up with me.

 

***FLASHBACK**

I was waiting at the restaurant where we were gonna meet. I was sipping my tea when someone suddenly hugs me at the back.

“Tokki! I missed you!” A voice chirped happily. I turn around to see Bom smiling widely at me.

“Bommie unnie, I’ve missed you too! Take a seat.” I said and smile at her. She immediately smiles at me. All of a sudden, I got nervous.

“Yah! Tokki are you alright? You look pale?” she asks me in concern. I just smile at her. I told her we should order our food first and she agreed.

“How are you Tokki? I was looking for you but you suddenly disappeared like a popped bubble and no one knows where you are and your whereabouts. I even contacted Aunty and Uncle for you but they kept avoiding my question. It looks like you were avoiding me. Did I do something wrong? I’m so happy when you finally contacted me.” She said and genuinely smiles at me.

“Ummm…. Unnie, did Jiyong say something to you?” I nervously asked. She confusedly looks at me and shakes her head.

“He never mentioned anything about you. Why?” she asked. I was about to answer but the waiter interrupts us that our food is ready. Bommie said we should eat first.

 

After we had eaten our lunch, I started to tell my story; planning to tell her everything: all the way from the start to the finish when I decided to stay low. The whole time I was talking, it came to the point where I started to notice her glancing below me from time to time, accompanied by her bothered expression on her face. It seemed like there’s something she wants to voice out. Something on her mind maybe? I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter