Chapter 4

It's Still Only You

"Woozi is my partner"

 

Those words ran through Jeonghan's mind all night. He wasn't even sure what happened after that. He just knew that hearing those words coming from Seungcheol's mouth felt like a stab with each syllable and it left him feeling numb all over. 

Seungcheol had a partner? And it was this Woozi person? Maybe Jeonghan had heard wrong. Yeah, that had to be it. Because Seungcheol having partner was not part of Jeonghan's plans. Seungcheol was supposed to still have feelings for him. The older boy was supposed to be waiting for Jeonghan to run into his arms. They were supposed to kiss and make up and start all over again. So why was Seungcheol messing all of that up by saying he had a partner?

And what was this about a son? They had a son? That piece of information was even more confusing to Jeonghan than anything else. Because in all their time of being together, Seungcheol had never said anything about wanting to settle down and having kids. Sure, he had hinted about loving children and he often did act like the father of their friend group, but he had never said anything to Jeonghan about wanting to take that future step. Although, now that Jeonghan had thought about it, he had been the one to always say how he wasn't sure about being able to have a family like that and Seungcheol always seemed to get quiet after that...But still! 

Jeonghan was at a loss for words.

What had happened in the past 6 years for so much to change? The Seungcheol that Jeonghan knew was a struggling, lovesick, undergrad who constantly had mental breakdowns because of how hard it was to get accepted into their university's school of business. Now, that very same guy was already the CEO of a huge private company and, apparently, he also had a partner and a kid.

It was all too much to take in and Jeonghan had to block out everything just to try and wrap his head around what he had just gone through during the dinner. He barely remembered any conversation that happened after Woozi and Seungcheol started talking. And he certainly didn't remember going home with Jae and entering their house. In fact, he had been so out of it that he went straight to the guest bedroom, completely ignoring Jae, who was still pissed off at him and clearly wanted to fight and argue about what had happened in the restaurant (not that Jeonghan really cared about that because the guy was being a major douchebag throughout out the entire night and whatever embarrassment he felt, he did to himself).

So here Jeonghan was, lying in the large cold bed, wondering where the hell he went wrong. The answer was pretty simple...it was the night he decided to throw everything away and break up with Seungcheol. He realized now what a move that was because it seemed that Seungcheol had completely moved on with his life. The other didn't even pay that much attention to him after the initial shock of seeing each other again had worn off. The only time Seungcheol did pay him much mind was when the older boy was inquiring about his and Jae's relationship. Seungcheol probably thought that Jeonghan had left him for Jae...and that wouldn't be completely wrong. But Jeonghan needed Jae...at the time, and surely Seungcheol would understand that. Jeonghan just needed the time to explain. To tell him why he left the way he did and how he regrets everything. Seungcheol was always an understanding and forgiving person, and Jeonghan always had a special place in his heart, so of course the other would accept him back. Right?

But then...that was six years ago. 

And besides, Seungcheol had Woozi. His cute new partner.

What did Seungcheol even see in the shorter man? Yeah he was cute, and sure he was super successful for his age. And they did seem to be extremely close, what with the soft smiles and the protective hand that Seungcheol kept on the small of Woozi's back (yes, Jeonghan had noticed that during the dinner). But could they really have what Jeonghan and Seungcheol used to have? 

Jeonghan doubted it. What he and Seungcheol had was special and there was no way that somebody else's love could replace that.

Well, at least that was how Jeonghan felt about their shared feelings in the past. Although now that Jeonghan thought about it, past was the wrong term to use because he still felt those things for Seungcheol. If his constant dreams about the other weren't enough to prove that then what Jeonghan had experienced tonight definitely did. He still felt for Seungcheol and he wanted the other back. And that realization left Jeonghan feeling like for the rest of the night until he finally fell asleep (only to have to relive that business dinner in his dreams because reality liked to with him).

 

The next morning, Jeonghan woke up and left early for Angel's Cafe, not even bothering to see if Jae was awake or not or if the older was ready for work. Jeonghan was still majorly pissed at him, for not only calling him a woman but also for calling him a Shim, and he decided that he would give Jae one of his famous cold shoulders and ignore the man for a few days.

When Jeonghan reached the cafe, Joshua, Dokyeom and two other baristas were all busy with the early morning shift, trying to serve the horde of tired and cranky 9-5 business workers that usually came to the cafe for their morning dose of caffeine, and so Jeonghan opted to stay in one of the booths until the rush died down. Jeonghan knew he wouldn't have to wait long when Joshua caught sight of his face, he probably looked like crap considering the amount of sleep he got, and he knew that Joshua would rush to finish his work in order to lend him a shoulder and ear like the good friend that he was. 

And just like Jeonghan had expected, within another 20 minutes Joshua was telling his employees to clean up the counters and tables while he put away his apron and made his way over to Jeonghan's booth with two steaming cups of coffee and a banana nut muffin to share.

"I didn't order this." Jeonghan said as Joshua set the coffee in front of him before taking a seat on the opposite side of the booth.

"I know. But I know you well enough to know that you need it. Now spill." Joshua replied as he took a sip of his hot beverage.

Jeonghan didn't speak at first, choosing to take a sip of his own coffee and letting the hot drink wrap him in warmth and comfort, something he desperately needed. He looked out the window for a few moments, fully playing into the dramatic scene before he turned back to his best friend and sighed.

"Where do I even start?"

"How about you start with what's bothering you and making you look like the walking dead."

"You say the nicest things." Jeonghan said sarcastically.

"I say it with love. Now talk. Something is obviously on your mind and I can't do to help you if you don't tell me."

Jeonghan sat there for a moment again, stirring his coffee and trying to figure out what to say.

"Do you remember Choi Seungcheol?" Jeonghan asked suddenly, taking Joshua by surprise at the question.

"Of course I remember him. He's all you would ever talk about when you first started college. I never officially met the guy but you used to talk about him so much that I feel like I actually knew him....well, that is before you guys broke up. What about him?"

"I saw him again."

"No ! Where?"

"I went to a business dinner last night with Jae and his family. Turns out that Seungcheol was one of the big and important guests that we were meeting for the night."

"That's insane. It's been what? Like 5 years since you two have seen each other?"

"Six." Jeonghan corrected.

"That must've been something." Joshua said, probably still trying to imagine what that must've been like for his best friend as he took another sip of his coffee.

"Did I mention that he's the new president of Sebong International...the company that we just agreed to do a merger with." Jeonghan added, amused when he saw Joshua almost spit out his drink.

"That's not even the wild part about it." The long haired boy continued.

"What, you mean there's more?" Joshua asked, his eyes going wide in disbelief.

"Yup...apparently he's got a kid...and a partner." Jeonghan replied, although actually saying that out loud left a unpleasant bitterness in his mouth.

"Are you serious? Man....just goes to show how much can change in 6 years." Joshua said. "Well, I'm happy for the guy. He seems to be in a good place." 

But then Joshua caught the look of disappointment in Jeonghan's eyes and he suddenly he knew why Jeonghan looked like crap that morning.

"You don't seem all that happy for him...why?" Joshua asked, wanting to hear it from Jeonghan himself.

"I dunno." Jeonghan mumbled into his coffee cup.

"Jeonghan." Joshua said in his warning tone, the one he always used just before Jeonghan was going to do something stupid.

“I’m serious. I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?"

"I just don't okay! All I know is that I saw my ex-boyfriend again for the first time in six years and seeing him happy and successful without me made me feel like !"

"Jeonghan-"

"And I know it's wrong but I want him Shua! I still want him and it's messing with my head! All I could think about last night was how I should be the one sitting next to him."

"But...I thought you were the one that broke up with him?" Joshua said, completely take aback by Jeonghan's sudden outburst.

"Yeah, and that was the biggest ing mistake of my life." Joenghan said, slumping into the booth.

"Jeonghan....you can't say that."

"Why not? It was. I've always thought that it was and you know that. And after seeing Seungcheol again, I know it was."

"But Jeonghan...you're married. You have Jae." Joshua tried.

"I don't want Jae." Jeonghan said, crossing his arms over his chest and looking much like a child who was just denied their favorite toy.

"Jeonghan, whether you like it or not, you and Jae are married. You can't cheat on your husband. How would you feel if you found out that Jae was cheating on you?"

Jeonghan chose to stay quiet at that, not wanting to voice out that he already had a pretty good idea of what that would feel like.

"And you didn't you that Seungcheol had a partner as well as a kid...Are you really gonna ruin that for him by trying to get him back?"

"I said he possibly had a partner...I didn't see a ring on them or anything. Seungcheol just said that they were together." Jeonghan mumbled.

"Ring or no ring, it's still wrong to try and come in between them." Joshua said, sticking to his values.

"Ugh, I hate it when you bring your morals into ." Jeonghan said as he sat up straight again.

"I'm only trying to stop you from doing something stupid. Seungcheol has a life of his own now and you need to accept that and move on with your own."

"Whatever. I don't like it but I guess I'll listen to you." Jeonghan said before shoving some more muffin into his mouth. 

"Thank you." Joshua said as he reached for the very last bit of muffin but Jeonghan had grabbed that piece too and shoved it into his mouth. "Hey! We were supposed to share that!" Joshua complained when he realized that the muffin was all gone.

"No way! You own the place, go get your own!"

"That was on the house, meaning that it came out of my pocket. The least you could've done was left a small piece for me."

"Nope. I was stress eating and you know what I'm like when I stress eat. You should've been smart enough to bring out two for the both of us."

"You're unbelievable." Joshua huffed.

"And you're stingey. Does Dokyeom know how tight you are with money? Stingey people aren't cute to date." Jeonghan teased.

"You're the worst." Joshua glared but Jeonghan just laughed.

"Relax, I'll just get a certain cute barista to get us another one."

"What do you mean...Jeonghan wait-"

"Dokyeom! One chocolate chip muffin over here please!!" Jeonghan shouted across the cafe.

"Sure thing hyung!" The young barista yelled and within a few minutes the boy was at the table with a fresh muffin on a plate. "Someone ordered one of our delicious chocolate chip muffins." He said before placing the plate on the table and offering a smile that was brighter than the sun. Jeonghan said Joshua's cheeks turn a light shade of pink and he smirked at what he was about to do next.

"Actually Dokyeomie, it turns out that I'm running late for work, and you know how much I hate being late."

"Since when?!" Joshua said out loud but Jeonghan completely ignored him.

"Anyway, being the kind and generous friend that I am, I offered to still pay for it and instead give it to Shua."

"Wow hyung, you really are an angel." Dokyeom said jokingly.

"I know right!" Jeonghan said while he ran his fingers through his long bangs dramatically. "Anyway, I don't think our dear Jisoo will be able to finish an entire muffin on his own so why don't you join him."

"Uh, hyung I really can't. I mean I’d love to but I'm still on the clock." Dokyeom tried but Jeonghan was having none of it.

"Nonsense. There are two other barista's on duty and you work hard enough so you deserve a break. Don't you think Shua?"

And Joshua, seeing Dokyeom look at him with such expectant eyes, had to agree. Damn Jeonghan, when they talk about job appraisals this is not what they meant. "Uh yeah. You've earned it Dokyeom. Please...join me in eating this muffin." He said awkwardly, having to stop himself from facepalming at how lame he just sounded.

"Well, if the boss says it's okay then why not!" Dokyeom said in a cheery tone.

"That's the spirit!" Jeonghan said. "Now why don't you enjoy sharing your food while Joshua tells you all about his collection of Naruto comic books."

"Manga!" Joshua corrected.

"Whatever." Jeonghan said in return, only caring about how well his little set up was working.

"Oh! I love Naruto!" Dokyeom said and then the two fell into a comfortable conversation while they fanboyed together over some character named Itachi.

It was cute, in a very nerdy way, and Jeonghan felt proud that he had finally gotten the ball rolling for those two. If they could become more comfortable around each other then everything else would fall into place and his best friend would finally stop pining over the younger boy.

 

After leaving Joshua's cafe, Jeonghan slowly made his way to the company building, taking as much time as he possibly could just to prolong him from sitting behind that desk in front of Jae's office. It wasn't that it was a terrible job, it was just the fact that even at work he couldn't really escape from his jerk of a husband. The best he could do was avoid the other for as long as he could until they both had calmed down enough to at least be civil around each other. 

In the mean time, Jeonghan would busy himself with phone calls, paper work, and annoying his friends whenever he got the chance. And that happened very often.

Like right now, Jeonghan was spinning around in Jun's chair as he played with his tie while the Chinese man was out of his office to talk to his underlings about some project that his team was working on. It wasn't long before Seungkwan joined him in the office and the two were going through Jun's drawers to see what the other man had inside. They found a bag of cookies, a photo album of him and Minghao and finally a miniature basketball and net which they set up and started to play with. 

They played for about 15 minutes, the score 4-2 with Jeonghan in the lead. Seungkwan was about to make a shot when Jun re-entered his office and Seungkwan accidentally threw the ball at the unsuspecting man's face.

"Head shot! That should count for like 10 points." Seungkwan said excitedly.

"No way. The rules said nothing about head shots. You either get it through the hoop or you lose." Jeonghan argued back.

"Or, you both could get out of my office and play somewhere else." Jun said as he closed the door behind him.

"But I work at a cubicle and it'd look strange if Jeonghan and I played at Jeonghan's desk."

"Don't care." Jun said. "And Jeonghan, off of my seat."

"Is that any way to speak to your hyung?" Jeonghan said as he spun around in the chair.

"Fine, please?" Jun tried again.

"Nope." Jeonghan said while sticking out his tongue and readjusting himself in the chair so that he was extra comfy.

"Ugh, fine." Jun said as he sat down in the remain chair in his office and crossed his arms over his chest.

"You know, you're no fun when Minghao is away. Is everything okay between you two?" Jeonghan asked, always observant of these types of things.

"Yeah, I talked to him this morning and he said that whatever deal is being made will take an extra 2 or 3 days to complete because our lawyers want to go over everything again."

"So he's gonna be stuck there for a few extra days? I'm sorry man." Jeonghan said.

"It's okay. It's just that I made reservations and everything at this place Minghao really wanted to try out and now I'm gonna have to reschedule."

"Which place?" Seungkwan asked.

"That really fancy Hot Pot place in Gangnam."

"Oh! I heard it was super hard to get reservations there because they're always so booked."

"Exactly! I wanted to take Minghao there as a coming home present but now I'm not even sure if I'll get another reservation there." Jun groaned.

"What day are you thinking about taking him?" Jeonghan asked.

"He should be home by next Thursday so I was thinking the following Saturday." Jun replied.

"Dude, I'm pretty sure that would be one of their busiest days." Seungkwan said.

"I know" Jun groaned again, this time sulking in his chair.

"I think I could get you a reservation there. Does 8 o'clock sound good to you?" Jeonghan said a second later after scrolling through his phone.

"Really? But how?" Jun asked with his eyes wide in shock.

"I'm married to Shim Jae, remember? All I have to do is throw his name around and I'm pretty sure they'd get me a table." Jeonghan said, knowing from experience since he's treated himself to extravagant dinners multiple times in the past on short notice whenever he was pissed at Jae, always making sure to use his husband's name and credit card and always going for the most expensive thing on the menu. His own petty way of getting back at Jae for always acting like an around him.

"That would be great! You're the best Jeonghan!" Jun said happily.

"No problem, I call them in the evening and set everything up. If you have any problems on the day that you go then just call me and I'll speak to whoever's there and let them know that the table's for you."

"Oh my god, Minghao is gonna love me for this!" I owe you big time!"

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." Jeonghan said, adding Jun's name to his mental list of people that owed him for favors, most of the list consisting of Seungkwan and Dokyeom.

The three chatted for a while longer before Jeonghan finally decided to get back to his desk. On the way over there though, he ran into Jae who was fixing his tie and rushing back to his office. Jeonghan wanted to continue his cold shoulder act but curiosity got the best of him.

"Where are you coming from?" Jeonghan asked, eyeing Jae's dissheveled look.

"I had to do something at home. What about you? Why weren't you at your desk? You know I need you there at all times in case of an important phone call or if someone comes by."

"Relax, I was just talking with Jun and Seungkwan for a bit. And no one called or left a message."

Jae clicked his tongue at Jeonghan's response. "You know, I really wish you'd stop flirting with my employees."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. You're always hanging around those two during work hours and you even hang out with them after work. What else am I supposed to think?"

"How about you trust me since I've given you no reason to doubt me. That's more than I can say for you."

"What I do is none of your business. Now get back to your desk and after you're done you can drop off some files for my dad and then go home like the good little wife that you are."

Jeonghan honestly wanted to punch Jae right in the face for that last bit but he knew he couldn't. Even though Jae deserved it, Jeonghan knew that it would only hurt him in the end. So he bit his tongue, like he always did when Jae spoke to him like that, and he did as he was told until he could finally go home.

 

Once Jeonghan was home, it was rather late in the afternoon so he decided to make that reservation for Jun while he did some of his laundry. They had a maid but Jeonghan never liked making her do stuff for him so he usually did any little house work that he could to help the nice woman out.

Although, as he was making the call and putting his white shirts into the washing machine, he noticed one of Jae's in the dirty pile. Usually he wouldn't pay much attention to Jae's and he would put them in another pile, but this shirt stuck out to him because of the stain that was on the collar.

A cheap red lipstick stain. Jeonghan picked up the clothing to examine it further, just to make sure that it was what it was, and just underneath the shirt was a lacey purple bra with a matching set of underwear.

So that was what Jae had to "do" earlier.

Jeonghan was pissed.

 


A/N: Hi? I am so sorry for my lack of updating. Things are still super busy but I had this sudden spark of motivation to update this fic and I just had to get this chapter done.

Anyway, so Jae is trash but I'm having a really fun time making him as horrible as I possibly can LOL No Jeongcheol (or any Cheol) in this chapter but I wanted to focus more on Jeonghan's relationships with his friends and his husband first. Let me know what you guys thought!

And thank you so much to everyone that subscribed and upvoted! I really wasn't expecting so many of you to like this fic so early on lol But thank you so much for that!
As always, please remember to comment and all of that good stuff. And yeah, thanks for reading this chapter and I'll try to update again as soon as I can! Bye!!