A Limit to love? P. 1

What Arrived After You Left

 

(All italics are flashbacks)

Yunho sat listening to the voicemail over and over again, the initial shock replaced with sadness, the sadness replaced with shame, the shame replaced with anger, anger that led him to rip the damn phone off the hook and send it flying across the room. He wanted to scream, why not? Who the hell was going to stop him? Of course, the inner Yunho, the one that used to tell him not pinch random people in the grocery store. It took him a minute but he finally cooled down, lying himself on his couch. He knew he had homework to do but he couldn’t be bothered with at that moment. Not when everything that had happened to him in the past week was finally settling in.

“Yunho, if you don’t stop dragging your I’m leaving without you and you can walk 9 miles to school.”  Yunho made his way down the stairs hair a mess, tie and jacket slung randomly to cover his body. He grabbed the keys about to run past his brother but before he could make it the keys were grabbed from his hand and a foot had kicked him the rest of the way out the door.

“Come on, Chunnie” Yunho begged taking advantage of the fact he had landed on his hands and knees, “let me drive.” He grabbed onto his brothers pant leg but was quickly shoved off as Chun-ho continued his way to the car.

“Don’t, Chunnie, me…Ask again once you actually get a license.” He said smirking before climbing into his bleach white, 2011 Audi R8. Yunho slumped to the ground in annoyance before he heard the rev of the engine jumped up and ran to get in the car just before Chun-ho hit the gas. The ride to school was anything but quiet, music on full blast, and the two males shouting over it to talk to each other. Yunho climbed out of the car a started on his way to class while his brother drove off. Tomorrow was his birthday, and at this point in time there was only one thing he could think of wishing for. He had been planning it carefully for the past two months, ever since his mother “casually”(by that we mean she had a sudden moment of realization that her son’s birthday wasn’t far away.) asked what he wanted for his 18th birthday one night at dinner. At that time he couldn’t really tell her what he wanted most.

He was gay, he had known since his freshman year of high school and even he tried to convince himself that it was just a phase. He had told his mother that all he wanted was a family dinner inside the house, a tiny little celebration just amongst them. Although his mother had fought against it for weeks she eventually gave in. During that small family dinner he planned on telling his family about his ual orientation.

          The day had gone by pretty uneventful, but Yunho had deemed it a good day. That entire state of mind was thrown off a cliff when his brother pulled up in his car. Yunho could hear the screech of the wheels as it stopped in front of him he could smell the burnt rubber and he could feel the anger radiating from the car. He was almost afraid to get in but, he jumped and rushed to the car when the horn sounded. He slid into his seat with ease and waited for his brother to say something.

          “Do I really have to tell you to put on your damn seat belt?” Yunho buckled up his seat belt and almost got whiplash when Chun-ho took off.

          “What’s wrong with you?” Yunho asked finally relaxing into his seat.

          “What are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about the fact that you’re driving down the highway at 92 miles per hour, like the biggest jackass ever.”

“Nothing.”

“Sure tell that to the old woman that just flicked you off, cause I know she’s thinking the same thing.” There was silence for a few minutes and just as Yunho was about to give up on the subject completely he heard a mumble from beside him.

“What’d you say?” Yunho asked more than a little frustrated.

“I said I got a confession today!” Chun-ho yelled.

“That’s what’s got you all worked up? Shouldn’t you be happy some girl confessed to you.” He heard another mumbled response as his brother hunched over the steering wheel attempting to change lanes.

“I didn’t catch that.”

“It wasn’t a girl.” After a moment of silence he continued on without a prompt. “Some came up to me and confessed, I guess he thought I’d just suddenly turn queer for him or something.”

“What did you say to him?”

“I told him to shove off; I don’t need him ruining my reputation. I promised him I wouldn’t tell anyone as long as he promised to stay away from me.”

Yunho’s stomach dropped, and the load on his shoulders increased in force. It took all he had to not just breakdown and cry right then, but he and Chun-ho were brothers and they would love each other no matter what.

 

          Chun-ho noticing Yunho’s sudden silence continued.

          “It’s just so disgusting; I mean how would you feel if some random just walked up to you an-“ Yunho almost audibly sighed when his phone rang, he was afraid of his own response to the question his brother was about to ask. He took a quick look at the caller I.D. and answered.

          “Ne, Omma?... We’re on our way…We’re pulling up now…You can tell him to wash it when he gets inside, bu- fine…”

“Chun, Omma said you need to wash your car.” Yunho said after hanging up with his mother and climbing out the car. When Yunho got inside he kissed both of his parents on the cheek before running upstairs.

          “Yunnie,” his mom said letting go of Chun-ho who had been forced into a hug. “Where are you going?”

          “Homework!” Their father was next to speak.

          “You got two hours until dinner, or we will start eating without you.”

          “Got it.” Yunho said before slamming the door to his room. He honestly had no plans of coming out of there anytime soon. He only went down for dinner after he thought everyone would be done, but he was shocked to find his mother and father still at the table conversing comfortably.

          “So you’ve finally decided to join us?” his mother stated more than anything, before getting up from her seat and making Yunho a plate of food she had made sure to keep warm in the oven. Yunho ignored what she had said and sat down in the seat on the left side of his father. The place he always sat.

          “Where is Chunnie?” Yunho asked accepting the plate that was placed in front of him with a smile but frowning when it was pulled away.

          “Food is for people who show to dinner on times up on time, especially when their just a trip down the stairs away.” Yunho’s father said face never coming up from the paper work sitting in front of him. He smiled again when his mother pushed the food back to him, and shifted so that half of his back was facing away from his dad, before he started eating.

          “Leave him alone, he already told you he had homework to do.”

          “But tomorrow is Saturday.”

          “Well he probably just doesn’t want to spend all weekend finishing homework, especially not this weekend.” Noticing that his question was never answered Yunho once again asked for the where-abouts of his elder brother.

          “He went out to meet with some of his friends from the university. I told him no later than 2 o’clock since tomorrow is such a special day “

          “Hana will be back tomorrow to right?” Yunho asked moving so that he was sitting normally in his chair again.

          “Of course, she won’t be back for breakfast but we’ll send Chun-ho to pick her up tomorrow at around noon, I’m shocked, how has Ms. Choi avoided kicking the child out of her house?”

          “The same way we haven’t gotten tired of Jin Ri.”  Yunho’s father responded nonchalantly. The room was enveloped in a comfortable silence.  Yunho made a move he wasn’t yet sure he would regret.

          “I have a question to ask you two.” Yunho said suddenly losing his appetite. He looked up at his parents. His mother whose natural expression was a soft but overjoyed expression, with the same brown eyes mirrored on Yunho and his sister’s face. Then at his father; with his permanently stoic expression, but features that would cause for the immediate rejection of any DNA test for any of his children. He released a sigh that warned his parents that the topic was very serious to Yunho. …

          “Do you two think being gay is a choice?”