Waking 4/5

Surviving
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Hey loner! What’s wrong? Tired of being the disappointment of the Oh family?” Some kids laughed at him. They were always laughing at him, he couldn’t use his powers… they never responded to him, if he even had them at all. His family was the only wind family where everyone had their powers even if they were weak forms of the power. But that wasn’t him, he was Oh Sehun… The disappointment of his family. Whenever his cousins would pull pranks on others Sehun was left alone in a corner. Isolated.

Wind wielders were said to be the most mischievous and free spirited but Sehun was tied down. He couldn’t move from the place he was at. He was tied down, and nothing could or would save him. He was a disappointment, no one spared a breath on non- wielders.

“Hey! Who said you could talk to my friend that way!” The little 10-year-old watched as a tall boy that was slightly older than him ran towards him, standing between him and his tormentors. The boy had big ears and had little flames coming out of his fingers. “Yeolie! Stop picking fights! Your mom said she would ground you for life if you burned anything else.” Another boy about Sehun’s height ran towards them. His eyes were brighter than anything Sehun had ever seen, the sun and stars couldn’t compare to the beauty in the boys’ eyes. “But Baekie… they were being mean!” At the tall one’s words, the short boy glared at the boys in front of him, everything around them seemed to be getting brighter, any brighter and it would hurt their eyes. “I am normally a very nice person, but I don’t take well to bullies!” The boys that had been picking on Sehun looked frightened by the two slightly older boys and they ran off quickly. “Yea, that’s right! You better run!” The shorter one huffed out.

“Baekie… we’re not supposed to use our powers on others. They could get hurt!” The boy; Baekie? Pouted and looked at the tall one. “Okay… sorry Yeol.” The tall one smiled. They both seemed to remember that Sehun was there and quickly turned to him, asking a bunch of questions about if he was okay, or if the boys did anything to him. To which Sehun simply shook his head yes or no when appropriate. Once they finished questioning him both looked at each other and then back at Sehun. The tall one stuck his hand out and the little flames came back on his finger, he grinned and said, “I’m Park Chanyeol, a fire wielder.”

The short boy extended his hand and little balls of light floated above his hand, “I’m Byun Baekhyun, light wielder. Nice to meet you! Who are you?” Both boys were smiling at him so brightly that Sehun almost had to look away, he had never seen such bright people. He expected it from the light wielder, they were said to be bubbly and nice. Bu the fire wielder shocked him, he expected him to be like what he heard, aggressive and not nice at all. The young boy looked down before responding softly, “I’m Oh Sehun… My family are… wind… wielders.” The two boys looked at him briefly before Chanyeol said, “Can you repeat that? You’re spoke too softly for us to hear.”

He looked up quickly and said, “I’m Oh Sehun…. Wind wielder… I guess…” he muttered the last part but both boys still understood him, “You guess? How can you guess? You should know what you wield.” Baekhyun stated matter-of-fact like. “My powers haven’t… worked… I don’t know… if-“

“Oh no worries, I was a late bloomer too. My power came in when I was about 4… everyone in my family normally got their powers at birth, if they got any at all. It is really funny, my mom said her mom told her that when she cried all the lightbulbs in the house would turn off, and my dad… well he doesn’t tell me much stories, so never mind.” The boy laughed loudly. Sehun looked at him with a weird expression, “I’m 10.”

“Oh hello 10, I thought you were Sehun.” Chanyeol looked at the boy and laughed at his own joke, Baekhyun hit him upside the head and said, “Not funny Park.” To which Chanyeol complained and whined saying, “Ow, don’t hit me Byun.” Sehun took in the scene in front of him and laughed, he couldn’t help it. He tried to stop the laughter but the two boys in front of him looked so silly. That was one of the first times Sehun had ever laughed, the first being when he met the panda looking little boy that lived near him, and the dragon looking boy that lived a block or two away. But these two… were hilarious.

The two boys looked at him and stopped their bickering joining in on the boys’ contagious laugh. “He’s cute! Can we keep him Chanyeol!!” The 12-year-old looked at the boy that was his height. Chanyeol shook his head no before lightly pushing Baekhyun with his shoulder, “He’s not a baby phoenix Baek.” Sehun looked at the two and smiled brightly, something he didn’t do often. Baekhyun squealed at him, and they played together for the rest of the morning.

Later that day when Sehun was on his way home, back to the place that was supposed to feel liberating but instead felt like a prison. He did enjoy the breeze that had picked up around him, it was blowing his silver colored hair back. He loved the wind, even if he hadn’t been born a wind wielder he feels like he’d still love the wind. He didn’t realize he had closed his eyes so he didn’t notice the large shadow that had overcome him. He felt a presence pop next to him and he opened his eyes to see a boy that looked his age staring at him with shocked eyes, as if he couldn’t believe where he was. The boy had jet black hair, was wearing black clothes but his eyes were a dull brown color. Just as quickly as the boy came he disappeared in front of his eyes as if he had never b

Please log in to read the full chapter